Connie Britton’s Wednesday News & Views

connie-britton

Hi, I’m Tyler and I have a girl crush on Connie Britton.

Hi, Tyler.

Like most people, I fell for Connie Britton when she played the character of Tami Taylor on “Friday Night Lights.” Originally, Tami Taylor was only supposed to be a supportive coaches’ wife, but when Britton took the role, she made the writers promise to make her more than just that. As a result, she became one of the most beloved characters on the show, a strong-willed, independent and successful woman who was entirely capable of being a supportive wife and mother as well. Plus, she had that hair…Britton’s hair is so popular it’s spawned a tumblr account of its own, about a million colorist requests and a bump in aviator sales.

After “Friday Night Lights” ended (a dark day for us all, cross your fingers for the movie), Britton shook off her Tami Taylor nobility with a role in “American Horror Story.” I’m too squeamish for shows like that, but I was thrilled when I heard she had accepted the role of Rayna James in “Nashville.” So thrilled that I may or may stalk her at times in the Green Hills Whole Foods, which isn’t at all creepy, right? To me, Britton isn’t just a great actress with hair that would rival John Robic’s; she’s pretty much a role model.

Happy birthday, Connie. If you’re reading this, let’s meet up for lunch. I’ll try not to geek.

— Tuesday was another oddly slow news day, especially since there’s only two weeks until March Madness. From what I’ve gathered, fans are generally nervous and/or apathetic about the rest of this team’s journey and the chances they’ll make the NCAA Tournament. Let’s break down what Kentucky has to do to make the dance and get us all smiling again:

1. Beat Georgia
A loss to the Bulldogs, ranked 9th in the SEC with an RPI of 130, would devastate Kentucky’s Tournament chances. Other than beating Florida and getting to the finals of the SEC Tournament OR winning the SEC Tournament altogether, the Cats wouldn’t be able to recover from it. Beating Georgia won’t give them any sort of cushion, but it may help them nab a better seed in the SEC Tournament, which is crucial to avoid an early upset.

2. Play Florida close
Even before Nerlens Noel went down, the Gators had their way with the Cats in Gainesville. Florida was clearly in a different class than Kentucky at the time, and although they’ve had their share of stumbles since, it will take the Cats’ best effort to beat the Gators on Senior Day. Kentucky and the Rupp Arena crowd will have to bring an even better performance than that needed to upset Missouri. I don’t think the Cats have to beat Florida (unless they lose to Georgia), but they have to at least play them close.

3. Win two at the SEC Tournament
I don’t think many of us expect Kentucky to win the SEC Tournament, but it would be nice if they decided to show up. The BBN will do their best to give the Cats a home crowd advantage, and it all really boils down to seeding. The best scenario is the Cats getting the 2 seed and staying away from Florida in the Tournament as long as they can, but it’s more likely that they’ll end up with the 3 seed, meaning they’ll play the late game Friday night and if they win, turn around for a 3:30 p.m. game on Saturday. One win won’t help Kentucky’s chances, but two may push them over the crest of the bubble.

Tuesday night’s bubble watch:
Marshall beat Southern Miss: GOOD – Southern Miss is a fellow bubble team, and even more, the Cats beat Marshall earlier this season
Missouri beat Arkansas by 30: DRAW – Strengthens Kentucky’s win over Missouri but makes that loss at Arkansas glaring
Ole Miss beat Alabama: GOOD – Both Alabama and Ole Miss are bubble teams, but because the Cats have beaten the Rebels and lost to the Crimson Tide, an Ole Miss win is the lesser of two evils. If it comes down to Kentucky and Ole Miss on the bubble, Kentucky’s win will give them the edge.
UNLV vs. Boise State: As of this writing, UNLV is down to Boise State at the half. Second half comeback, please??
Ohio State beats Indiana: This doesn’t help us, it just feels good. O-H…

— Is it just me or has Karl Towns grown a little over the past year?

8a6610c085d911e2a3ff22000a1fb762_7

— On Tuesday, we found out that Turner Sports will air a documentary about Kentucky basketball entitled “Bluegrass Kingdom: The Gospel of Kentucky Basketball” on March 17th at 8 p.m. ET on truTV. Coincidentally, that’s also Selection Sunday, which means the show will either prolong fans’ celebration of making the Tournament or be a cruel joke that has us dreaming of better days. Regardless, you’ll want to set your DVRs. The documentary will be directed by Michael Tolajian, whose most recent credits include “Once Brothers,” the critically-acclaimed documentary from ESPN’s “30 for 30” film series. It’ll be narrated by Drake and include interviews with the program’s most notable personalities including former UK players Pat Riley, Jamal Mashburn, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, coaches Joe B. Hall and John Calipari, UK alumna and zealous fan Ashley Judd and many others.

If you’d rather watch “Storage Wars” than that, you’re un-Kentuckian.

— Despite being sidelined by a tooth ache (which may or may not be named Alex Poythress), Cal released a new episode of his Mailbag series today. In it, he named Willie Cauley-Stein the team’s most improved player, saying that his recent play has led to him possibly being a lottery pick. What’s fueled Willie’s progression? “He comes every day and he loves it. He comes every day with the thought to improve. We have some other guys that come in and it’s misery working. Well, that’s what they look like on the basketball court. That’s when you see the body language and you say ‘What’s wrong?’ …You enjoy it all or you don’t have fun playing, and that means you really don’t know what it means to win and be a part of a Championship organization.”

Sound familiar?

— In football news, the first effects of the Stoops Era are being seen in the national media. ESPN moved Kentucky’s game at Mississippi State to its Thursday night primetime slot on October 24th at 7:30 p.m. While a weeknight in Starkville sounds slightly more depressing than a weekend in Starkville, it’s still a sign that the excitement surrounding the UK football program right now isn’t going unnoticed.

— Congrats to A’dia Mathies, who was named SEC Co-Player of the Year on Tuesday by the league. Mathies, was also named to the First Team All-SEC, along with DeNesha Stallworth, has won the award two years in a row, and it’s the fourth year in a row that the award has gone to a UK Hoops player. Samarie Walker was named to the Second Team All-SEC and All-Defensive Team. The ladies begin their postseason run Friday night in the Women’s SEC Tournament against the winner of Missouri/Vanderbilt in the quarterfinals of the SEC Tournament in Duluth, Georgia. Our own Wilder Treadway and Hayley Minogue will be on the scene to cover the event and tell us what else there is to do in Duluth (leave them some suggestions).

In the morning, we’ll get you ready for the Georgia game, preview the Boys Sweet 16 and make it work while the guys are covering tennis in California. See you soon.

46 Comments for Connie Britton’s Wednesday News & Views

1. acarms
    11:12 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

TT, Connie has already played the coach’s wife in the movie Friday Night Lights that the series was based on.

2. HOOHOO
    11:12 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

HOOHOO…Hoo’s getting their asses beat in Ass embly Hall? Indiana, that’s HOO

3. Milf Man
    11:17 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Ms. Britton is smokin HOTT!

4. theSkinny81
    11:18 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

I make a post about IU getting beat, and it gets deleted. What gives?

5. Milf Man
    11:19 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Would love for her to read me a bed-time story and feed me cookies and milk!

6. Simple Truth
    11:20 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Karl Towns is the man, it’ll be interesting to see which players will want to join him in ’14-’15.

7. Wilder Treadway
    11:24 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Please………..any Duluth suggestions are highly appreciated

8. Hoptownukfan
    11:25 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Awful take. Most everybody agrees that
    The cats need two more wins of any combination to get into the tournament. If they beat uga they need one at the sec to get in.

9. KyColonel
    11:26 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

IU is great, but please refrain from the O-H chant. I live on the border and hear enough of that trash coming from across the river. Can’t handle it on here too.

10. KyColonel
    11:26 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

IU getting beat* sorry

11. Ben
    11:26 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Karl Towns is looking like a beast of a man lately.

12. UK Freshmen
    11:27 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

I make a post about Cal coaching down a previous #3 team in the nation to worrying about beating a 130th ranked team, and it gets taken down? Truth hurts?

13. Mike
    11:37 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Not sure about AP having a tooth ache, but he sure has been a pain in the A$$ for all of us. With the exception of maybe 3-4 games he has been a cancer to the team and any hopes they have had about gaining respectability as the year progressed.

14. I Say
    11:43 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Looks like Towns has hit the weight room. Make it your best friend man.

15. Soooo
    11:49 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

So right now we sit in second in the sec if vandy pulls a win out of there arse tomorrow night and we beat ga the game sat is for a tie for the sec? How does the second ranked team in the sec have to worry about making the tourney? This is going to be one of the toughest brackets ever this year to pick! I think there may be 32 teams who can win the tourney this year unreal

16. Han
    12:02 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

Only thing I’ve ever seen Britton in was Spin City. Didn’t even remember she was in the FNL movie.

People aren’t really holding the Arkansas loss against us as much because they beat everyone at home and lose to everyone on the road.

17. Han
    12:03 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

15) Bama may miss the tourney twice with 12 SEC wins. We have to worry because we’ve only beaten 1 team in the top 50 RPI.

18. Logan
    12:16 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

The UGA is the biggest game of the year so far.

19. BeauKnows
    12:23 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

….I….O. (Sorry, I work with an Ohio State fan).
    GO CATS!!

20. hahahaha
    12:46 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

Wilder Treadway will be there…i’ll stay far away for fear of my arby’s

21. UK Freshmen is not so fresh if you know what i mean
    1:06 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

12. UK Freshmen. It didn’t get taken down, it’s not showing because you are a dumbass that doesn’t know how to use the internet. Truth hurts?

And yes, Cal is worrying about beating the next team on the schedule just like every coach does, dumbass. I guess he would probably worry less if his best player didn’t suffer a season-ending knee injury.

Also, you do realize that Cal is not the one that ranked this team #3 don’t you? You do understand that another group of people are responsible for that don’t you? Truth hurts?

Dumbass

22. SeaCat
    1:44 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

Thanks Tyler for defending the fort
    while Matt and Drew head off to gay
    old Palm Springs to watch ‘tennis’

23. anthony
    2:30 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

I was a big fan of Connie Britton even before Friday Night Lights. She was on a show called Spin City with Michael J. Fox. Not only is she hot, but the woman can actually sing. As for the Wildcats. GO BIG BLUE!!! UK 68 Georgia 63

24. tdogg40330
    2:57 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

8) I’m with ya on that.

By the way, how is it more than likely UK ends up a 3 seed in the SEC tourney?? All they gotta
    do is win Thursday(or Sat) to lock up the 2 seed …

25. FatBlueKid
    5:55 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

To me IU losing is a terrible thing. Uavel could be a 1!! I hate UaVel with a passion and I think it is stupid that some of our fanbase hates IU more. IU I have respect for. UaVEl is a ghetto low class Northern school and their fan base is the worst! Nothing makes me more sick than to think of them getting a 1 seed. I would rather not go to the tourney and them lose early than us sneak in and them win it all! I can’t take it! Please Lord let them lose either this weekend or in that Northeast Tourney so we can end this non-sense of them being in the tourney and more importantly, DO NOT LET THEM WIN IT!

26. UK Student
    6:17 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

Wiltjer is gone after the season. No, it’s not to the NBA.

27. tdogg40330
    6:23 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

26) How ya figure??

28. Chuck
    6:39 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

Wilder….run through fountain downtown, there’s a tea room, or you can visit my in-laws!!!!!!!! All kinds of fun things to do in Duluth!
    All joking aside, when I asked my wife what she did, she said they drove into Buckhead or the city for fun growing up.

29. SexnNursinHomes
    6:59 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

It looks like Towns has gotten thicker, dunno about taller, could just be the way the photo was taken.

30. dr barn
    7:20 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

it’s good to let your suppressed lesbian tendancies come forth

31. TexasCat
    7:34 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

The Cats cut down the nets after natl championships, Crean and the Hoosiers cut down the nets after losses on Senoir night….hilarious!!!

32. Fandango
    7:46 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

Beat UG and play well against UF and we should be in.

33. Catlanta31
    7:55 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

15, the SEC sucks. We are in the worst bball conference of the Big 6 by far. They could only get one team in the weakest NCAA field in last 15 years

Does Kentucky actually deserve a bid? No they don’t

34. Eric K
    8:11 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

Man that sure is some great history that the Loosiers have, to lose at home on senior night and then cut down the nets in an empty gym! WOW! What a bunch of LOSER!! Makes it even better to be part of the BBN!! Crean SUCKS!! GO CATS!!

35. jojo
    8:14 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

Uk is on the bubble,and could potentially have 4 players leave early for the n.b.a. What a joke!

36. Eric K
    8:17 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

Where’s hoo hoo? Bet he is proud this morning, plus that’s a real nice photo of Crean holding up that net in a empty gym! BAHAHAHA! GO CATS!!

37. jymbo
    9:04 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

Ms Tyler, I have loved Connie since her All my Children Day’s, I live in Clarksville , So I could come and pay for the lunches. I promise I won’t get getty too. LOL

38. Joke'sOnYou
    9:17 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

35 Yeah it just goes to show you that the NBA will take anybody. Well,anybody except UofL and IU players.

39. BPM
    9:44 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

Hey UK Student, if Wiltjer is leaving after this year then why is his family trying to relocate to Kentucky? Wiltjer isn’t going anywhere. He loves it at UK.

40. Ryan
    9:45 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

Connie Britton was also awesome in the first season of American Horror Story. Anybody see that??

PS-R.I.P. Arlo Givens

41. Jonah Hex
    9:54 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

She is a total smoke show.

42. CatBlue in LR
    10:02 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

Wasn’t Connie Britton on the first season of “24”? I think that’s where I first fell in love with her.

(I didn’t look at all the previous posts, so don’t crucify me if this has been mentioned!)

43. Growth?
    10:17 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

Teenagers don’t grow. Come on.

44. iloveredheads
    11:02 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

I swore I would never have kids, but i would let Connie Britton have mine. Wow. She is just too hot.

45. Axe Cop
    11:08 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

She bad.

46. Anthony Davis
    1:07 pm March 6, 2013 Permalink

43 wrong. I grew 7 inches taller during my senior year in high school.