Congrats to Daniel Orton

orton

The news of the week hasn’t been the best for former Cat Daniel Orton. Earlier in the week, the Orlando Magic announced that they would not be picking up Orton’s option and giving the player a third year with the club. That is a rare decision for a team to undertake on a first contract player, due to the small sums of money that a late first rounder costs the team. Thus the decision was a blow to the young player and led to questions whether he would have a future in the league.

But tonight, Orton bounced back in a positive way. At the end of a blowout television game, Daniel Orton got some run on the court. He played his first NBA action and even scored two points on late free throws. It isn’t a world-beating stat line, but it is a start. And for a player whose time in the NBA has unfortunately been plagued by injuries and bad luck, it was a welcome bit of (albeit small) positive news.

Article written by Matt Jones

42 Comments for Congrats to Daniel Orton

1. Rabidcat
    8:40 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

A perfect example of why you should not take advantage of a good situation in college. He should have stayed at least another year at UK, but since he screwed around and didn’t take school seriously this is what has happened. I hope he rebounds, but I doubt it. His attitude will hold him back his whole life if he doesn’t mature.

2. Dude
    8:43 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Must be a pretty slow news day, I think Ill go back to bed. I know some people still care about any trivial news about this guy and claim that once a wildcat always a wildcat, I say once you screw the wildcats and quit your spring semester your dead to me. Have a great day everyone.

3. knightynight
    8:49 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Dude – don’t start your day so negatively.

4. REAL BLY
    8:57 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Orton should have played 3 years at UK….I am sure he regrets leaving!

5. Shoulda been a jayhawk
    8:58 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

I’m with the Dude. Orton has been less than irrelevant since he revealed his true colors (clearly not blue and white) by bailing early and hosing our Cats. Congrats on your garbage-time freethrows you self-absorbed jerk.

6. uklaw95
    8:59 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

I do have a problem understanding this site’s fascination with DO. I don’t remember posts about Bledsoe, Jorts, or Boogie getting their first 2 points. This might warrant a quick line as part of a morning notes post, but why a seperate post with his picture, other than to bring out a bunch of posts saying what a @%!* DO is?

7. Cat fan
    8:59 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Orton always reminded me of Randolph Morris. Remember how Randolph declared for the NBA too early as well and screwed Kentucky in the process? Morris now plays for the Beijing Ducks. Maybe Orton will be his new teammate someday.

8. Dude
    9:00 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

I ended my comments wishing everyone a great day so anything I said that you feel was negative was canceled out by my positive ending.

9. Mike
    9:13 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

I would like to wish Orton the best of luck the rest of the season. I wish all of BBN would take the highroad do the same.

10. Gus Chiggins
    9:13 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Never was a fan of DO but I do believe in karma….

11. Ira Tatum
    9:19 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

#7, I agree. Daniel Orton’s situation always reminded me of Randolph Morris’. Playing overseas is still a decent gig, even for a college drop out. Wish I had that gift/talent.

12. ChosenFailure
    9:21 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Congratulations to failure, positively written. Sensational & uplifting morning news, thank you!

13. Ahole
    9:23 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

He probably regrets leaving UK, but feels much better when he cashes his check..

14. Gabe Daddi
    9:30 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

I just cannot bring myself to root for him after what he did to the program no matter what situation he in.

15. Gabe Daddi
    9:31 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

He is in*. Damn iPad.

16. Larry Orton
    9:38 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

“Daniel on Fire”

17. mwgocats
    9:39 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

His loss was Harrellson’s gain.

18. Bledsoe's Biceps
    9:42 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

He lost my respect when he did not finish his spring classes as promised. But, I I don’t understand the people who think he should have stayed at UK another year or two. After they drafted him, Orlando learned he had a bad knee. I have to think Orton knew this at the time he realized he was likely a 1st round pick. Had he stayed at UK his knee problem would have been exposed. He then has a high risk he may not recover well and then never gets drafted. So I can’t fault the guy for earning $2 million over the past 2 years vs taking that risk.

19. SeaCat
    9:49 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Did an ex Cat big man die recently? Past year or two?

20. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    9:51 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

smh

21. Al's IndiCats
    9:55 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Like the rest I of you, I’d like to wish Daniel well…..But I can’t M&%#&@F#&$er. I have to say I’d wished he stayed, but I( really do wish him and his family well.

22. JRobTMFHT
    9:58 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

#19 Melvin Turpin

23. Smyrna_Cat
    10:23 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

man … the haters are here.

24. SeaCat
    10:29 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Marvin Stone died in 2008 of a heart attack at halftime in a game in Saudi Arabia

25. NJ
    10:36 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

As a person I wish him the best, but as a player I could care less. He screwed up by leaving UK way to early.

26. make a swishq
    10:38 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

He hated UK…least favorite player of all time. I liked Carruth better than DO. Ain’t tryin to hate, but he just didn’t care about our school at all

27. Rob
    10:39 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

YOU MISSED THE BEST PART OF THE STORY!! “In addition, he recorded a goaltend on his first defensive possession at the professional level.” Loved to watch him play, but he was the goaltendingest player I’ve ever seen. Hilarious/unfortunate that it continues.

28. Orton's Dad
    10:45 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

My son is better than Dwight Howard. Just you wait.

29. Are you kidding me?
    10:57 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Has he finished his #&^%$# homework yet? Accepted a scholarship, left school 2 min after the last game was over, declared for NBA, promised to finish his classes, and then didn’t. Screws our team and might cost us a scholly later by killing the team’s GPA.

Did I leave anything out? #$%@ HIM!!!! Hope he enjoys spending the rest of his life coaching Jr Pro basketball and tellin everyone how great he was. Karma is a #^%%$&.

30. Catnuts
    10:59 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

I love the way the haters think that Orton somehow screwed UK. Anyone on this board who had the chance to make a million dollars a year guaranteed for 2 years would have done the same. If you say you wouldn’t, you’re a liar. If that was your kid and they offered him that kind of money, would you have told him “No stay in school and get your education, you can always make millions of dollars but that education you can never get again if you drop out”?Come on man. Give this kid a break.

31. Cat fan
    11:09 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

27. Are you serious?!? That is so damn funny!

32. Dude
    11:12 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Hey Catnuts, I dont have a problem with what he did, but how he did it. Obviously by now we are used to players leaving for the NBA after 1 year. If he wouldve stuck around for his spring semester I wouldn’t have a problem at all. Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Knight, all stuck around and finished what they started even though they knew they would be cashing checks bigger than any of us would ever see in only a few months. Then he lied to the press about it and then tried to apologize with a letter to the bbn a year later? Nice try DO(rk) have fun playing in Israel, or wherever it is you finally land.

33. Cat fan
    11:17 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

30. Just to be clear, no one begrudges the fact Orton left early. I hope all Kentucky players make it to the NBA sooner or later. Everyone is pissed that he didn’t finish his schoolwork and basically left college with a horrible GPA. Since scholarships are now tied to academic performance, Orton may cost Kentucky basketball a scholarship in the future! In contrast, Orton’s teammate John Wall did very well in school.

34. buzzard
    11:18 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Who cares, never really liked the kid. I don’t hold it against him that he left early, but he seemed to think that he was better than he really was….and he never seemed to give much effort. Give me Jorts any day over Orton

35. Cats are Gr8
    11:20 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Orton hopefully saved his money from his first contract. But considering his history of bad decisions, I doubt he did. Probably time to head overseas DO. You screwed UK by making a foolish decision and being selfish. Adios.

36. Shoulda had a V8
    11:27 am January 28, 2012 Permalink

Screw him. The only good thing about him is that when he left, it made room for Jorts to get the PT.

Jorts has already played more NBA time than Orton ever will…. and he deserves every bit of it. Hard work and unselfishness will get you places and thats why jorts is where he is. Orton will have to learn that lesson overseas.

37. Stats guy
    12:32 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

So Orton recorded one goaltend in 3 minutes of playing time. At that pace, if he played a full NBA game, he would log 16 goaltends a game! Impressive.

38. KD
    12:42 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

Things work out for the best. Perhaps Orton realized much like DeAndre that his PT might be less than expected with the emergence
    of Jorts. In the span of three years, the talent level would have overtaken Orton anyway. He would have been recruited over. But no excuse for not completing your coursework. That’s part of the deal. And really 18…the scouts for the Orlando Magic never noticed the gigantic brace on Orton’s knee and of course the doctor’s never noticed the scars during a physical exam.

39. Sammydog
    12:44 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

Don’t blame him for taking the $$ and leaving but I do blame him and his father for the way he left. Also he was a coward about it for not telling the truth. He did trash our GPA and cost us scholarships. I would have advised my son to take the $$$ but assume responsibility for your decision and finish your spring semester course work. Don’t leave a school who invested alot of $$$ in you in such a bad situation. He has no character and this may not end well for him or his money deprived family.

40. FYI
    1:07 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

Karma’s a bitch..,shouldn’t have left UK the way he did…

41. Tampa Satchel
    3:32 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

There’s a lot of small-minded, self-interested fools on here hating on Orton for leaving. He’s a millionaire and if he hires a decent financial adviser, he’ll never worry about money for the rest of his life. How much will you make in your lifetime?

I’d have loved for him to stay and, yes I agree he handled the leaving part poorly, but anyone who knocks a guy for taking guaranteed millions has his head so far up his big-blue butt that he can’t see with any empathy.

42. Tim in Korea
    7:37 pm January 28, 2012 Permalink

Is it wrong that Orton being a bust in the NBA makes me feel good considering how he left Kentucky? Cause it does…