Commonwealth Stadium ranked the second worst in the SEC

ukstadium-d

As we inch closer and closer to football season, it’s time for more of those preseason rankings lists to pop up, rating schools on everything from venues to tailgating attire. Today’s comes from AthlonSports.com, who rates the stadiums in the SEC from best to worst. As you might expect, Kentucky’s Commonwealth Stadium didn’t fare too well, coming in at #13, ahead of only Vanderbilt. Here’s the complete list:

1. Tiger Stadium, LSU
10. Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, Ole Miss
11. Davis Wade Stadium, Mississippi State
12. Memorial Stadium, Missouri

13. Commonwealth Stadium, Kentucky
Opened: 1973
Capacity: 67,692
2012 Attendance: 49,691 (41st)

From a percentage standpoint, the Wildcats posted the worst 2012 home attendance in the SEC. However, that had more to do with the poor play of the team than anything else. When this team is good, Big Blue Nation is as loud and passionate as any stadium with less than 70,000 seats in the nation. This venue has witnessed some historic moments – i.e., the Bluegrass Miracle – and Mark Stoops hopes his Spring Game attendance numbers (est. 50,381) are a preview of things to come this fall.

14. Vanderbilt Stadium, Vanderbilt

You have to think that after Commonwealth Stadium’s $110 million renovations, it will be higher on this list. We’ve been told to expect renderings by the end of the summer.

26 Comments for Commonwealth Stadium ranked the second worst in the SEC

1. Ricky Bobby
    5:03 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

CWS…..too much social event, not enough football knowledge/fan-dom. Can only hope the fans turn it up for the Stoops era b/c it’s looking like it could be special

2. Consider the competition
    5:08 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

The only stadium on that list I have a problem with is MSU. That stadium is small and a dump. No shame in following the others on the list.

3. Duffus
    5:19 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

This is a true “WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR” cry–bring em in baby they will learn to hate the “Air Raid Sirens”

4. Survey flaw
    5:22 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Okay being completely honest I’ve been to 3 of these stadiums. Here (CWS), tenn. , and ole piss. I can honestly say without a doubt in my mind that there is no way on gods green earth that vaught-Hemingway stadium is above CWS. I won’t comment on the others as I have never been but as far as stadiums CWS>VHS you can etch that on my grave.

5. Chad
    5:24 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

There is no way that Neyland Stadium should be ranked above Bryant-Denny Stadium. I have been to big games in both and they don’t compare.

6. The School of Design
    5:35 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Commonwealth could be more aesthetically pleasing if they would plant some bushes at field level in front of the interior walls. For some reason, the alcoves under the stands are exposed concrete and you can see the drainage rocks. Ivy covered limestone walls (ala Keeneland) would give the place even more regional character. If we’re going to put a better product on the field that randomly shows up on ESPN for the casual college football fan, we should not only be able to play ball, but look good doing it.

7. Rockfield, KY
    5:36 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

I have fun in CWS for obvious reasons, but for the other stadiums I don’t agree much with this either. UGA’s tailgating is fun, but the stadium isn’t. It’s crazy hot and it’s metal bleachers that go straight up. Only plus is that you can somewhat see the field from up high. UT is a show, but the tailgating sucks if you’re not in the Vol Navy. I thought Auburn was the most fun in-game atmosphere. I haven’t been to UF, SC, LSU, Ark, Mizz, or A&M.

8. historic moments
    5:38 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Nothing like getting reminded of a last minute heartbreaker. Taking down #1 LSU 5 years later was much more historic for UK football.

9. Bleaker
    5:46 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Are we sure this isnt a ranking of atmosphere? I would put CWS at around the middle of the pack for facility rating. I have been to all stadiums except south carolina and there is NO way this is based on brick and mortar alone.

10. Kotor
    6:11 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

List are just some one’s opinion. You know what they say about that. I have been in college football stadiums Gainesville to Palo Alto. CWS is not that bad. The only reason anyone would rate Ole Miss at all is because of The Grove. And, Neyland is a very big place that seats the entire population of Chattanooga, but I once needed a grappling hook attached to 200′ rope to get to my seat.

11. Wrong
    6:14 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

As a Knoxville native, the fact that Neyland is ranked so high in this thing is a complete joke. Maybe 15-20 years ago I’d agree with you. That stadium has been half-empty and dead with one of the worse atmospheres in the SEC for a while now.

12. mudcreekmark
    6:23 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

8) Yea I think that was funny when the only historic event they mention was the most embarrassing loss in college football history. Only coach in history to get a Gatorade bath while losing a game!! I guess that was historic.

13. TX Grouser
    6:30 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

KYLE FIELD IS NOT I REPEAT NOT TEXAS!!!!!!!!
    IT’S TEXAS A&M YOU IDIOT

14. El Pollo Loco
    6:53 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Neyland Stadium is a dump. Sure, they fit a lot of people, but it’s a dump.

15. Biglaw Dawgin'
    7:03 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

I prefer to call it the 13th best.

16. Section 133
    7:13 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

What a joke of a list. I’ve been to all of the stadiums except S.C. and the new kids on the block. Most are old and decrpit. At some you pee into troughs in the ground(looking at you, M.S.U.). At Georgia, your only food options are peanuts and hotdogs served with a stale ass bun. At Neyland, you better not get stuck sitting next to a fattie. Several of the stadiums have no TV monitors in the concourses. At Florida, you better not have a drug screen the next day…the ambient second hand pot smoke will do you in. Ole Miss is Stoll Field with a new end zone.

17. Rambro
    7:56 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

6. I agree. I think the stadium needs more regional character. I have seen the blue lights on southland Christian on Richmond road, and those lights cast out a blue glow. That would really cool on the facade of CWS and/or Rupp. Especially during a night game.

18. Vince
    8:09 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

That must be an attendance high for the season at Commonwealth. No way we averaged almost 50k per game. Maybe 35k average.

19. dshwildcats
    8:50 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

It would be nice to know what criteria is being used to rank the stadiums. I’ve been to several of the SEC stadiums, and as far as overall fan experience (hospitality of the home fans, comfort, view of the field, concessions, parking, etc.), I would rate Jordan-Hare, Sanford Stadium and Vaught-Hemingway up at the top. I have really enjoyed attending games at all 3 schools. All 3 fan bases were extremely nice. Loved the fact that you could get sweet tea at Ole Miss!!

Haven’t been to Bryant-Denny since 1996, so I haven’t seen all of the renovations they’ve done. I’ve been to Neyland numerous times, and my biggest complain about it is that you’re crammed in there like sardines!

I’ve been to Williams-Brice on 3 occasions, and to plan to go again this fall. The USC fans are very passionate, although some of them can be rather obnoxious. The concourses are way too small!

Nothing special about Vanderbilt Stadium, except that there is usually a good contingent of Kentucky fans there; and, there’s plenty of room in the stands due to the lack of Commodore fans there.

Went to Missouri last fall. The stadium kind of reminded me of Commonwealth. The Mizzou fans were very hospitable!

The couple that sits in front of me at Commonwealth said they will never go back to Davis Wade Stadium. Between the cowbells and obnoxious MSU fans, they said it wasn’t a pleasant experience.

I haven’t been to Tiger Stadium, Ben Hill Griffin, Razorback Stadium or Kyle Field, although a trip to College Station, Texas is on my “bucket list”.

20. scorpiocard
    9:06 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

And they got the attendance ALL WRONG! It was actually about 30K a game!

Just ask my buddy dsh! He is an attendance expert! 😀

21. I call BS
    9:12 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

USC- nice game atmosphere, stadium is nothing to write home about. Mizzou stadium and atmosphere pretty much sucked. Ole Miss, The Grove, co-eds and atmosphere were great, stadium is a piece of sheet. Jordan – hare is neat as is Sanford at UGANDA. Neyland is big but have never been all that impressed. There are a lot of really good stadiums in the SEC and UK’s CWS is nothing to be ashamed of. I agree that we belong somewhere in the middle of the pack.

22. Gotta say it
    9:24 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

I expect renderings every morning after my coffee.

23. pfife
    11:22 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

You could spend a billion dollars and it wouldn’t matter. UK has the worst student support in the conference and it’s not even close.

24. stucknbig10
    8:06 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

I don’t agree with this list. UK is not a top 10 SEC stadium, but it’s above Miss State and Ole Miss (and likely Mizzou, though I’ve never been). UK can have a very good football atmosphere when the team is competitive. Ole Miss has a dinky stadium and is getting too much love here b/c of the grove. Miss state is terrible, it’s barely better than Vandy.

As for teh top of the list, I agree with a couple of them. LSU is awesome. Tennessee is awesome (maybe not for the last few years, but it’s a great place for pageantry and tradition). I would place Florida and auburn and bama ahead of Georgia. I’m also not sure why arkansas ranks so high, i’ve been there and I found it to be kind of stale.

25. Megan
    8:40 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

Someone has to be the second worse. That’s the problem with rankings, stadium, class or otherwise.

26. Big Whoop
    9:59 am June 12, 2013 Permalink

The writer didn’t bother giving his criteria for the rankings. So, it is just his opinion and not worth reading. I’m sorry I wasted my time reading it. I find it funny that The Grove makes Mississippi’s stadium a big deal. I’m also sorry I wasted my time posting about it.