We’re now just a few minutes from ESPN going live from Rupp Arena for College Gameday. The crowd is expected to crush the attendance record for Gameday and will be yet another showcase of how much better we are than everyone else.
KSR will be around the festivities all day, so make sure you show the appropriate appreciation if you see the crew. Also, if you’re around the fun today and have some worthy pictures, send them to [email protected] and, if they don’t suck, they might just make it on the site. Otherwise, use this space to discuss the Gameday broadcast at your own leisure.
Topics to consider include whether or not the dance team will wear white pants and what effect this will have on Digger Phelps, and whether you believe the not-scheduled-to-be-in-town Bobby Knight’s intro music will interrupt Coach Cal’s interview segment as Rece Davis tells us business is about to pick up.
FORMER PLAYERS IN ATTENDANCE:
Talk amongst yourselves.
1. Three great quotes from GameDay so far: Jay Bilas said “This is a scene unlike anything we’ve ever seen” and that “This is why Kentucky is the best job in the Kentucky”. Perhaps the coolest, though, was Hubert Davis saying “I went to North Carolina. Nobody does it like Kentucky”. However, I’m pretty sure the crowd was booing so loudly they didn’t hear that. Passion!
2. Rece Davis came back from a story on Jim Calhoun and a picture of Rick Pitino was on the screen above his shoulder, causing the place to erupt in boos so loud that Davis had to pause. Travis Ford got a minor applause when his Oklahoma State team was mentioned.
3. The crew just went to break as the crowd cheered Calipari’s entrance to the GameDay stage. Coming up next? A piece on the John Wall Dance! Start loosening up your arm.
4. Proving that it’s a UK family, Coach Cal hijacked his interview from Rece Davis and gave love to the UK women’s team, who went nuts. The ladies delayed their trip to Vanderbilt in order to be a part of GameDay.
5. Big cheers when Cal announced that John Wall has the highest GPA on the team. I got my old man on and made my son come back in the room and listen to that.
6. Davis asked Cal about when he realized how big UK basketball was and he went through a list including fan mail after the South Carolina game and the crowd at GameDay before saying, “These fans are crazy and I love it”. Love you too, Cal!
7. The show ended with all three of the talking heads taking the Cats and Hubert and Bilas doing the John Wall dance to the delight of the Big Blue faithful. Odds are 50/50 on whether or not Bobby Knight would have done it had he been in attendance.