CoachCal.com’s Monday Scrimmage Notes

CoachCal.com is back with new observations and notes from Kentucky basketball practice. This report comes from Monday’s scrimmage when John Calipari brought in officials for the second day in a row and had the team scrimmage for the second half of practice. The scrimmage was split up into four five-minute segments with a different lineup through each segment.

Here are a couple of Eric Lindsey’s notes:

— Using the treadmill as motivation, both Goodwin and Poythress were the scoring stars of the scrimmage. Calipari told both of them that if they don’t play hard all the time, they would head to the treadmill to run (specifically, Coach Cal told Goodwin he had to grab at least five rebounds and Poythress had to come up with five offensive boards). Both had to visit it at one point during Monday’s practice, although Goodwin’s punishment was for not hitting a certain mark in the five-minute shooting drill (more on the five-minute shooting drill at the end). Goodwin totaled 16 points in the 20 minutes of scrimmage time and Poythress finished with 12. Poythress did most of his damage with the big lineup.

— If there is one concern with a big lineup, it’s how the Cats match up defensively with smaller, quicker players. I don’t think that would a problem with this group. Cauley-Stein and Noel are certainly towering trees, but they’re not your traditional bigs. Cauely-Stein may be the fastest 7-footer I’ve ever seen, and Noel has guard-like bounce and quickness to him. In other words, they can defend the wings. Throw in Goodwin and Poythress’ raw athleticism and speed and you’ve got a defensive lineup that could be the best in the country.

— As for the offense of the big lineup, can you say Lob City? With Goodwin running the point and three athletic bigs to throw it to, it could produce even more lob dunks than last year. I emphasize could because Calipari is still very much in the experimental stage. With Mays in the lineup, you’ve still got a great shooter, and Goodwin and Poythress give you two guys who can create off the dribble.

Read the rest over at CoachCal.com

Article written by Drew Franklin

24 Comments for CoachCal.com’s Monday Scrimmage Notes

1. BLUE BALLS
    10:57 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

5th!!!

2. That's Live Action!
    10:58 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

I haven’t heard much out of Harrow lately….could he be the odd man out of coach cal’s 6 man rotation he normally uses?

3. Han
    11:11 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

Feel bad for Harrow. He’s really athletic, but he’s going to have to step his game up based on what we’ve seen and heard. Right now, we’re hearing a lot of talk of Goodwin at the point so we can see Mays’ scoring at the 2 with Poythress, Wiltjer/WCS, Noel.

I don’t know if he’s expected to go pro after this year, but he should want to with Harrison coming in next year. Just gotta make the right decisions, Ryan.

4. MemphisCat
    11:27 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

Looks like #25 has some laundry or hygiene issues? Maybe he shouldn’t wear a thong to a basketball game unless your sitting in the stands. 🙂

5. Marcus L. Owens
    11:30 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

I agree with #3, Harrow will play and may start to open the season but our best lineup may well be with Archie at the point. Harrow will have a role but Cal’s teams are great defensively and because of Harrow’s size he may be a liability on the defensive end. Cal could but the ball in Goodwin’s hands and give him the green light similar to John Wall & Brandon Knight. I think our best lineup will be Goodwin, Mays, Poythress, Noel, WCS. On another note its great to hear “Hoodie” getting props from the coaches, adding Hood to the rotation could be a real plus for this team.

6. Kamakamakamchameleon
    11:42 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

#6 looks like he’s too old to play with us. Evidently he wasn’t a one and done…

7. C'mon Please
    11:45 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

Harrow will be fine. He can’t play all 40 minutes. That is why Archie will get some minutes at point. Harrow is a good manager of the game and is not turnover prone.

8. Karma Sutra
    11:45 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

Do you guys think #6 will get some PT this year?

9. karma Sutra
    11:47 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

It looks like he may have some issues with palming the ball…….and being really slow, but other than that, I’ve heard he’ll be a beast.

10. caliparty
    12:01 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

There is no doubt that the best line up for this year as of now is
    Pg:Goodwin
    Sg:Mays
    Sf:Poythress
    Pf:Noel
    C:WCS
    Harrow and Wiltjer will both see substantial minutes but come clutch time against an equally talented team like IU or UL, that line up will give us the upper hand.

11. Marshal Cogburn
    12:08 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

That’s great news about Cauley-Stein and Noel both looking good guarding the wings. If the Cats can play tough defense with both of them in the game, that’s better than our playing one of them along with a smaller, less talented wing. (No offense to Hood.)

Also, I was preparing myself for tough games against Maryland and Duke. We may still struggle, but I was encouraged by the article below by Dan Hanner at the Basketball Prospectus site. He ranks Maryland very low, and Duke lower than UK. I still think we’ll struggle against the Blue Devils, with about a 30-40% chance to win, but I feel more confident than before.

12. I Say
    12:09 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

10 I like that line up, I would still want to see Harrow and Wiltjer playing 15-20 minutes a game though. They are too good to sit on the bench

13. Will S
    12:13 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Already throwing Wiltjer under the bus? lol.

14. I Say
    12:20 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

11 I think Duke is under-rated this year. They are going to be a lot better than everyone thinks due to there 8 talented wings that try to play all at the same time. seriously though, Duke wont be a cake walk, neither will maryland.

15. Duke Sucks
    12:31 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Yea I’d say we sit Wiltjer. We don’t need anybody who can score 30 any night on the court. You can bet your a$$ Wiltjer will have the ball at crunch time.

16. Linda Taylor
    12:32 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

One of Cal’s biggest strengths is adapting to the talent of his team instead of forcing his team into a set style. This team has an interesting mix of players that Cal will be able to use in matching up against opponents, which Cal is a master at doing. The development of this team will be fun to watch and come March, we will be ready to challenge for #nine.

17. Some Guy
    1:34 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

11) are you saying Duke has a 30% chance to win? Because that is about right, maybe a 30% of Duke winning which of course in turn is 70% chance UK wins. Duke is not the match up this year it would have been in years past.

18. Truth
    1:43 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

17.) Tennessee is the scary matchup for me because of the muscle in the middle. Don’t get me wrong, WCS and Noel are great, but they can be pushed around by Maymon and Stokes. I could see foul trouble deciding that game.

Duke is a little overrated this year, in my opinion.

19. MarshalCogburn
    2:45 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

I’m expecting Duke in November to be 80% as good as they’ll be in February, and the Cats to be about 50% as good. I think we’re getting rating based on our potential right now. Our top 6 left. I think we’ll start slow, and be very good or great by late January.

20. DONNIE CAPERS
    3:22 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Expect Harrow to see a diminishing role as the season progresses. He has had over a year since arriving on campus to gain muscle and improve his game. IMO, we’ve seen very little progress in both of those areas. Goodwin at point (if he can learn how to pass) looks to be the best bet.

Wiltjer may not start but he will be the best 6th man in the country. He would be starting at any other school in the country and would lead said school in scoring.

21. STEVE!
    3:37 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

#6 is about to make Nerlens wear the Dunk Helmet again in that photo.

22. STEVE!
    3:38 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

18 – But UT’s backcourt of Trae Gordon, Skylar McBee, and Jordan McRae don’t exactly have me shaking in my boots.

23. jeff j
    4:28 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

WOW !! Go figure …

24. okay
    5:32 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

I said like 4 days ago our best line up is Archie, mays, alex, noel, and cauley… i guessed tht right after the blue white game.. glsd yall r comin to reality.. tht line up is sick… by march they will be unbeatable