CoachCal.com compares NCAA bubble teams, “UK still stacks up”

(Someday our grandchildren might not know what those things are in the stack above)

CoachCal.com’s Eric Lindsey worked hard this afternoon crunching numbers and comparing Kentucky’s resume’ with Joe Lunardi’s other “Last Four In” and “First Four Out” teams. When it’s all said and done, Lindsey feels that Kentucky still stacks up against the competition despite Friday night’s loss to Vanderbilt.

“The one thing Kentucky has gotten criticized for this year is lack of “good” wins, but if you evaluate UK’s quality wins (a victory over a top-50 RPI opponent) with the other eight schools below, UK has just as many quality wins as its competition and actually fewer costly losses (losses to teams rated outside the RPI’s top 100) than most of the pack.”

Lindsey also mentions the fact that the Cats will inevitably be judged upon their performance without Nerlens Noel. Since Noel’s injury Kentucky has gone 4-4, but the Cats have also picked up two of the biggest wins of the season against Missouri and Florida. Willie Cauley-Stein talks about those wins and how they could help Kentucky in the end.

“When we play– where everybody plays as a team, everybody does what they’re supposed to do– we can beat anybody. We beat Florida. We beat Missouri. We beat Ole Miss. Missouri’s in it; they’re a lock. We beat them. Florida’s a lock. We beat them. And Ole Miss is on the bubble, so we showed can beat anybody.”

Kentucky’s profile stacks up against the profiles of the 8 teams in Lunardi’s bubble group (Boise State, Middle Tennessee State, Ole Miss, La Salle, Virginia, Maryland, Tennessee and Southern Miss). In fact, Kentucky has as 3-1 record against the teams in the group of 8 who they have played. Check out the numerical comparisons of Kentucky’s profile against the other 8 teams by clicking here.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

99 Comments for CoachCal.com compares NCAA bubble teams, “UK still stacks up”

1. UkFanInNY
    9:35 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

All I have to say is, all u bandwagon fans/fans complaining about Cal better not cheer for us when we back on top next year. You’ve shown ur true colors.

2. UK Homer
    9:43 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

What does Matt think about our chances? We also have to remember that our two worst losses also came w/o Nerlens. Somehow I feel worse about our chances than I did in 2008 (BCG’s first season with the Gardner Webb, San Diego, and Houston losses) yet there were fewer spots in the tourney then.

3. Simon The Great
    9:45 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I refuse to believe that Boise State, La Salle, and Middle Tennessee State are better than Kentucky. As far as UK has fallen this year I do not think they are below the level of those three.

4. nerlensnoelshair
    9:46 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

We might get in because the field is so down this year. Strangest year in a long time in college BB.

5. kramer
    9:46 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

See I don’t think it matters if we should be in or not, if we play as schitzophrenic(sp) as we have all season, it doesn’t matter. This team has not shown they can string together more than 1 or 2 wins in a row…..

6. Fire Cal Now
    9:51 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

This is pure propaganda.

7. Mike
    9:58 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Cal…you get paid big bucks to make sure they do play as a team and you came up short big time this year.

8. Fire Cal
    10:00 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

And I have much more to offer than propaganda. But don’t wait up to hear what it is.

9. VinDatuk
    10:00 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Bubble or no bubble, this team does not deserve to be in the tourney. It’s an earned spot, not privledged. I’d much rather watch a 12 seed LaSalle play their hearts out than a 12 seed UK go through the motions or play like gangbusters all dependent on if Ryan Harrow is on his period or not.

10. BlueTexan
    10:00 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Understand the logic; however: 1.) the selection committee doesn’t listen to our “rationale”; 2.) we don’t, and haven’t had, many friends on said committee, and 3.) I’d rather have Cal here, with me 2 miles from Prestonwood Academy, making certain Randle commits to BBN on Wednesday!

11. Mike
    10:00 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I am paid to suck big ones

12. Mike
    10:00 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

And I get paid not so many dollars to do….What?

13. Mike
    10:01 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I would go tell all my crap to Cal’s face but I am a coward

14. chris
    10:02 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Ok, so I have been looking all day at Mizzou losses and wins vs. Uk’s and I do not understand how they are considered a lock. Will someone on here (Matt) please explain to me what I am missing. This isnt so much of an arguement for UK to make the tournament but as to why Mizzou isnt even mentioned on the bubble. From looking at all the teams and Eric Linsey’s post I still dont think UK makes the tournament. Why? Well its because how they have lost the 4 games without Noel. There has to be a seperation between these bubble teams and I believe that they way we lost those games will be the reason UK’s name is not called tomorrow night. So sad but have to stay positive because only better days are ahead of us.

15. Mike
    10:03 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I like to hide behind my keyboard and call Wiltjer a wuss…If I were a real man I would go call him a wuss to his face but instead I like to hide behind my computer in my mom’s basement.

16. Mike
    10:03 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I am a miserable prick

17. Mike
    10:05 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I am a horrid little turd

18. Japrick
    10:05 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

1) Amen to that. It’s been a frustrating season, but we won a championship last year and have an excellent class coming in next year. Bad seasons happen people.

19. BigBlueKermit
    10:05 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Wow, I was just about to make a comment and then I realized that apparently the only people on these threads are angry and unrealistic haters. I’m not sure if we deserve a spot in the Tournament either but if you love your Cats why not at least root for MORE basketball? Even if we aren’t playing up to our potential I still and will always love my Cats. Maybe we need to be reminded of some truth from the most unlikely/annoying of sources, Marshall Henderson. “It’s a GAME.” I’ve gotten and angry and sweated and screamed like everybody else this year but at the end of the day Kentucky is Kentucky and this teams and this games should ADD to our lives not BE our lives or TAKE from our lives. Go Cats.

20. Derp
    10:06 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

5… I’m not sure you know what schizophrenic means.

21. Mike
    10:06 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I would like to hook up with oldschool and UK Freshmen and have a three-way

22. chris
    10:07 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

1) Nice comment by the way

23. B
    10:09 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Is it bad that I am cheering hard for Loserville to win right now because I’m afraid if they lose they could make a strong Championship run like us last year after the SEC tourny?!

24. Mike
    10:09 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

#1 you and Cal both suck

25. B
    10:10 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

#1 – I agree

26. Mike
    10:11 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

#1 ur post wuz gud. u write kool stuf

27. BigBlueKermit
    10:11 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

1) Well said!!

28. jmfatz47
    10:11 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

14) while I see what u are saying, our two best wins came in that 4-4 stretch without nerlens (Florida and Mizzou). Go figure…

29. Simon The Great
    10:12 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I’ll second what BigBlueKermit said! Need to keep some perspective.

30. Mikes a bitch
    10:13 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Mike ur a bitch

31. chris
    10:15 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

28) Yes I know, go figure. Its a toss up man but whats your take on Mizzou. I am so confused on why they are a lock.

32. CoachCalFan
    10:16 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

#7, Cal gets paid big bucks to win championships. What he’s accomplished here in his first 3 seasons is amazing. He got those teams to play and buy into the program. If anything, he’ll be able to use this season as an example of how things will go when you play for yourself and not for the team. And if our only post season choice is to go to the NIT, I think we should take it. Anything that could hopefully improve the draft stock of our freshman and help them make a decision for the NBA.

33. Fire Cal Now
    10:18 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I think we can all agree that Cal just isn’t getting it done here. We should go after Brad Stevens.

34. Cauts
    10:21 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

33… You’re either a troll or the dumbest person alive. I’m going to go with both.

35. Mike
    10:24 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I am a weak Moron with little, to no education. I am going to stop posting here.

36. Han
    10:25 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

It’s insane the contact Louisville gets away with. Reviewing a call to put a flagrant on the Cuse guy because he swung high when the Louisville player had 2 hands on him. 2 hands on him when he’s got the ball. Foul? Hello?

37. Richard P
    10:26 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Hey guys remember me? 😀 Hahahaha looks like Da Ville is bringing home the title!!!! Nice job defending it 😀

38. Rae
    10:27 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

33. You are an idiot. Stop making UK fans look bad.

And if you are serious, Butler went to the CBI last year after a great two year run. They are doing well this year again, but they had a down year. Besides, what coach would touch a program that fires a NC winning coach the next year for anything other than NCAA violations?

39. Rae
    10:30 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

37. The Big East tournament is not the NCAA tournament. You could get upset. Don’t count your chickens before they hatch. Seriously, because IU is saying the exact same thing, and you can’t both win. One of you will not meet your expectations, and it will still be a quarter century since your last title. Maybe both of you will choke.

40. rixter
    10:32 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

The title? The title? Are you serious? Were you even alive the last time they brought home the title? Don’t worry, many weren’t.

41. Fire Cal Now
    10:32 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Oh so you like having a team full of hired guns every year? There is no emotional attachment to any of Cal’s teams because they leave as soon as we get to know them well. They don’t care about us or the school.

Does anyone actually keep up with Enes Kanter, Doron Lamb, T. Jones, or Brandon Knights careers? No!

We need a coach that can actually coach and recruit good quality players. We may not win the title but atleast we’d make the tourney every year.

42. Wildcatsteeler
    10:33 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

How do you reward teams with well over 100 SOS and a very bad record when they play good teams? MT St. is in? I think we get a play-in game in Dayton simply because of how close it is and the stadium will get filled. The NCAA is about money more than anything else.

43. maddogmitchell55
    10:34 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

At times UK reminded me of the Bad News Bears against Vandy last night.

Coach Cal should have played more zone. Especially after he seen how well it worked. Even I could see it worked. And especially after seeing how Vandy used up UK’s man-to-man D. Everyone could see that.

Big Blue Nation rocked Nashville.

Archied Goodwin brought the thunder with that dunk.

The reason Lundardi has kept Kentucky on his Last Four In/First Four Out list for so long is to keep getting hits from UK fans on espn.com. When is another time he has had a chance to keep blueblood team on his bubble list?

If friggin Missouri is in then UK should be a mortal lock if there ever was one.

44. UK
    10:35 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Doesn’t matter whether they “deserve” to be in or not.

Based on the total resume’s it should go as follows:
    Boise St. – lock
    Then you have Ole Miss, UT, MTSU, and UK battling for the last 3 spots. The rest simply are a notch below resume wise. That’s a fact.

45. rixter
    10:35 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

42, do you think players at Louisville, or Wisconsin, or UNLV give a damn about the fans or the school? Don’t be so naive

46. Mike
    10:36 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I love Siva’s line beard. It turns me on

47. Han
    10:37 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

45) Give him a break. It’s hard to follow your players when they’re all playing in Europe and Asia.

48. Fire Cal Now
    10:40 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

No all “our” players are either sitting on the bench or in the D league. That’s how Cal is being exposed on the recruiting trail. All of his players are duds.

49. chris
    10:40 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

43 couldnt agree with you anymore

50. Fire Cal Now
    10:44 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

In all fairness, he does have a National Championship and two Final Fours in 4 years

51. Rixter
    10:45 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

By the way, Syracuse sucks. and bad

52. Cats
    10:45 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

41… Damn dude, you are seriously stupid. It’s like how a crazy person doesn’t know they’re crazy; a stupid person doesn’t know they’re stupid. As a matter of fact, I’d say most if not all true uk fans do develop attachments to these kids even If it is only 1 year. Also, I’d say many fans, including myself, do in fact keep up with the nba cats careers. Do us all a favor and shoot yourself in the face.

53. Rixter
    10:47 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

It’s easier for Louisville fans to keep up with the careers of former Cardinals in the NBA, there are only 3

54. bluebee
    10:47 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Frankly it will be an embarassment to go to the NIT; for the players, coach, and the fans. Please do not go!

55. B
    10:53 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

37 – You are a perfect example of why we call you “little brother”. You are commenting on a UK site during your conference championship game….

56. rixter
    10:55 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

how would you like to have on your resume that you gave up 56 points to Louisville in A HALF?? How many games have the cardinals not scored 56 for the game?

57. rixter
    10:57 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

What a touching moment: Rick is introducing his wife, Joanne to his players

58. I threw Harrow Under the Bus
    10:59 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I guess in an attempt to save face, Cal has his voice , Eric Lindsey, go fight his battles today. I don’t care how Cal or Lindsey skew the numbers or make the numbers suit their argument, UK is not a tournament team. Hell, the Jesuit Sisters of Faith could have run rough-shot over this team of p*****s. Cal just needs to shut it down. No NCAA or NIT. The season is over. It has been over since Noel went down. Florida and Missouri both laid down on UK. F**k the dumbs**t, stop the ignorance. Cut the drama. UK is dead. I guess on Coach Cal.com they show Cal in a casket getting the lid closed on it. The CAYTS, I mean p*****s are dead.

59. I threw Harrow Under the Bus
    11:01 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Wonder how many times Rick’s players gang-banged Joanne Pitino? Bet they lasted longer than 15 seconds.

60. rixter
    11:02 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

@ 58: hey, bro…you mad?

61. rixter
    11:03 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

LOL, 58 got his profanity-laced tirade deleted

62. SMH
    11:05 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I can’t think of anything I hate more than Louisville. Not cancer, not the Taliban, not Notre Dame’s uniforms

63. LC-FTW
    11:09 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Attention hillbillies. You will root for the Cards in the NCAA tournent. We may root for you in the NIT.

64. Jonathan
    11:11 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Who won the UK game today? I was on the road and didn’t see today’s games.

65. Will Not Root for the Cards
    11:14 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I will not root for the Cards. I will root for the team playing the Cards. If U of L played the Taliban, I would root for the Taliban. If U of L played Hamas, I would root for Hamas. I hate the city of Louisville, I hate U of L. I that slime Ricky Three Stacks, you have as a coach.

66. Will Not Root for the Cards
    11:15 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

64, you got your head up your a**. You know UK did not play today. You f***ing dumba**.

67. Louisville
    11:37 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

LMAO! That’s right stay glue to the tv watching the CARDS bc kentucky season is over faster than the football season!!!! Haters!!! #thelaughingstock

68. Louisville
    11:38 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

How many NIT teams have the smurfs lost to this season? Don’t worry I’ll wait!

69. GoForIt
    11:46 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Just stop! What if Bama didn’t make a bowl game this year? How many if their fans would be ok with that?

70. L1C4 is gay
    11:56 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

it has been 27yrs since u won nething so stfu and get a life!! lil basketball program!!!

71. Big RED Freight Train
    12:18 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

How can this be true, we are rated #3 preseason & now we don’t even get into the BIG DANCE!
    All this with Coach Cal the “Anointed” one @ the helm!
    And to top it all off those Dirty Birds are going to be “ROCKIN IN OUR HOUSE” while we are playing in the N.I.T..AKA Not In Tournament…… HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

72. BowelMovement
    12:19 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

Cal is a used car salesman. What do you expext him to say? Eleven loss Cal sucks unless he has 6 or 7 draft picks on his team. Uncle Wes is the one who really let your team down. I bet the bag man gets a couple extra ringers for next year.

73. bernie madoff
    12:20 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

SOMEBODY MADOFF WITH OUR BID…..GUESS WE WILL GO BURN SOME COUCHES NOW & BEAT OUR WIVES.

74. SurpriseInMyLevis
    12:21 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

Remember when Bangs told you sheep that Rick would never have a better year than uahk as long as Cow is there. Well, F- you butt cut.

75. Big Red Dumba**
    12:23 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

Hey 71. Last year UK rocked the c*m center. Beat UL in the Final Four and won NCAA championship. Umm, Tom Izzo and Michigan State could out-muscle you this year, remember 2009. UL was overall # 1 seed that year, did not make the final four. UL and IU can go to h**l

76. Big RED Freight Train
    12:31 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

@ 76……Yeah but we will be dancing while your hillbillY ass is leveling your trailer or beating your wife….now go take your teeth out & get to bed HILLBILLY…..THE N.I.T. IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!
    HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    EAT IT BBN

77. Big RED Freight Train
    12:33 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

Down goes Cal…Down Goes Cal…..
    Strong steps on Stoops……
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha

78. Ct cats
    12:35 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

Randle is going to Texas or Kansas……UK is not going to get him. I live in DFW area and there are too many talking heads how he is leaning between KU or UT. …..unfortunately I think Cal will come up empty handed with randle or wiggins.,…. Making this the most depressing march in the cal era

79. James
    12:37 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

THE LOUISVILLE CARDINALS. Coming to a Corrupt Arena near you!

80. James
    12:41 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

It must be a kick in the nads to work at Corrupt Arena and have to prepare the floor for the arrival of Kentucky’s Team?

THE LOUISVILLE CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

81. L1C4 is gay
    12:43 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

most ignorant fan base ever!!! talk sports out ur ass!!!! havent been shite in 27 yrs

82. Matt Jones
    12:44 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

I love me some Cal JIZZ…..He just gets it!…

83. L1C4 IS GAY
    12:45 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

little basketball program.

84. Coach Cal Says
    12:47 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

We don’t move the needle..we are the needle!
    They don’t want to beat us..They want to be us!
    NOT!
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    EAT IT BIG BLUE NATION

85. L1C4
    12:47 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

siva will blow it for u again just wait and c

86. BIG RED PLANET
    12:49 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

@ 84……Can you say NCAA TOURNEY?????
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

87. l1c4is gay
    12:49 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

pretty obvious u do want to b us ur on our site. throw up those loser signs and get a life

88. Better think again
    12:52 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

N.I.T = Not In Tournament
    hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

89. L1C4 is gay
    12:57 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

ur big red planet is jefferson county. ur bball history is 1975-1986. little baskrtball program!!

90. maddogmitchell55
    1:01 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

Randle is coming to UK. If you think otherwise, unconfuse yourself.

Strong might (I stress might) win his first matchup against UK. UK returns A LOT of experienced player from last year, though. The only positive UK fans can draw from last season was the fact that so many backups got a ton of game experience. SEC game experience. Not Big East experience, but SEC game experience. As a result, would any of the college football experts be surprised if UK kicks the crap out of Duh Ville next season? No.

Everyone wishes they had Coach Cal as their coach so they could brag about how well their school has done in the NCAA tourney and the NBA draft. 5 first round picks. 6 in one draft. 2 number one picks in 3 years. #1 AND #2 pick in the same draft. 5 consensus #1 recruiting classes in a row (of which only four have played). The greatest recruiting class ever (2013). 2 Final Fours in a row. National Title. I can go on and on, but why bother? At this point, it has become routine for UK fans. Not so much for fans of other schools (IU, Duke, UL, UCLA, Kansas, UNC).

Has Duh Ville ever won a national title in football? No? UK has. 60 years ago? Yes. But, they still have one in the record books. Duh Ville? Zero.

If you insist. When was the last time UL or or IU won a national title in football? The 80’s? How many title do they have overall? That is what I thought.

For fun.
    If (and this is a big IF) IU gets a number 1 seed how will they celebrate it?
    A. Put a copy of the brackets in the their trophy case
    B. Hand out #1 seed rings
    C. Cut down the nets after practice
    D. All of the above

91. Matt Jones accountant
    1:45 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

To all the trolls out there, Matt just wanted me to say thanks for all the Internet hits to KSR. It puts dollar dollar bills in his pockets dawgs! $$$ holla back;)

92. Bobby Knight's Shrink
    3:45 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

Get ready for the year to be over with boys….No NCAA bid, Cal turns down an NIT bid, and the countdown until BWS scrimmage begins !!

93. BigRed
    8:39 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

I’m gonna paint the town of Lexington, red . Don’t know where i am going to stay. Usually while in Louisville stay in places. Guess i have to get used to trailers lol.

94. Ricks jizz
    9:39 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

Glad to go home and c my 1 and only championship banner hangin.

95. Ricks jizz
    9:44 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

Not to mention all the titles and history at a big time program

96. Ricks jizz
    9:52 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

These morons here think we have a big time program but our history is from 1975-1986. ive tried to change that but yet to succeed

97. CatSinceBirth
    11:32 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

I’ve been a Cat’s fan since the early 60’s and I’ll probably get bashed for this, but I could care less about making the tournament now. We don’t deserve to be in, thus I would rather stop the bleeding right now than to lose in the first round of the tournament. I will now put my blue glasses back on.

98. What
    12:46 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Why on earth do U of L fans talk shit when they have not won a title since 1986?

99. kramer
    4:44 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

does UL not have a message board they can go crow about themselves on?????