CoachCal.com catches up with Randolph Morris

If you’re one of the many people out there wondering where you can find a good read on Randolph Morris this afternoon, look no further than CoachCal.com. Calipari’s official website took a long trip down Randolph Morris Drive today and left an open spot for you, the readers, to ride shotgun on the up-and-down journey. The Morris edition of the “Where Are They Now” feature hits all the stops, from the New York Knicks to the Beijing Ducks, and features some pretty interesting quotes about his love for the University of Kentucky.

“I would be honored to be around the program,” Morris told CoachCal.com. “The University of Kentucky prepared me for not only a professional career but also prepared me for life. I also learned that making mistakes is a part of that learning process, and it’s not how many times you fall; what really matters is if you can pick yourself up and keep moving in order to achieve your goals.”

It’s been almost seven years since Tubby Smith cleaned out his desk and found a fax declaring Morris eligible for his sophomore season, so it’s good to check in on the former Wildcat after being away for so long. He was one of Kentucky’s most prized recruits, back before signing top ten talents was still exciting, not expected.

Article written by Drew Franklin

18 Comments for CoachCal.com catches up with Randolph Morris

1. UK Wildcat
    1:00 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I’ve seen him at least 3 times around Lexington this summer.

2. NBA league pass
    1:05 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I always felt this guy could have been a dominant player, but just lacked focus/intensity. Same thing with Jason Parker.

3. kyle heavy
    1:12 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I don’t understand how Randolph Morris is playing in China still. He’s got to be better than some of these big goobers in the NBA.

4. Suffo-Cats
    1:24 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I remember that guy!!! He is MIA these days.

5. Coach Durbin
    1:31 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

What a refreshing article! I think a lack of focus and some work ethic issues definately contributed to him not reaching full potential, but it’s great to hear he still feels like he is a member of the BBN and is able to still make a living playing ball.

6. Jax Teller
    1:39 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Remember coming out of high school, there was legitimate question among people of whether or not he was better than Dwight Howard. My have things have turned out.

7. BPsycho
    1:40 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

“It’s been almost seven years” it seems like just yesterday….. I guess a decade of mediocrity will do that.

#2 There were a lot of people hating on him while he was still here for that. Was our best player and was treated like ****, imo. If they had met him they would understand that’s not the case. I guess he’s not that good though or else he’d be in the league still.

His expression in this picture sums up the end of the Tubby era.

8. Hal
    1:46 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

Morris dominated Dwight Howard on several occasions in high school. Had Cal been his coach I think Morris would currently be a star in the NBA.

9. James K
    2:05 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

…and if you’d worked harder, you would’ve been a dominant player at Kentucky.

10. 44 Stitches
    2:06 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

@6… I remember.

Morris’s little rinky dink private high school is about 5 minutes from were I went to high school. Morris and Howard were AAU teammates but Morris had better numbers than Howard when their high school’s played against each other. Morris’s was pretty much his whole team. If you took Morris off his H.S. team they would of been awful. You could of took Howard off his high school team and they still would of been really good. It had other D1 players and even future pro player Jarvaris Crittendon (who’s in jail awaiting a murder trail) on it as well. Still CRAZY to think that was even possible to think years ago looking at them now.

11. James K
    2:07 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I should say, Morris always really frustrated me at Kentucky. He showed glimpses of a guy that could play at the highest level, but his body was never in great shape, and he lacked that animal instinct you need. Put MKG’s moxie in Morris’ body, and you have an all-star.

12. block party
    2:23 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

He always seems depressed to me…Like Eeore from Pooh!

13. emlang08
    2:47 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I am pretty sure he had MVP numbers while in China and there has been chatter the last year or so of Him, Ramel Bradley and Joe Crawford coming back stateside to play, all three studs over seas. NOTE: I think just as Crawford was getting attention he had a serious knee injury.

14. sharon
    2:59 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

I saw him in Fresh Market the other day with his girlfriend. the cashier said they come in a lot. . goodness, he is tall! still looks like he just woke up or can’t.

15. This Sucks
    3:34 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

He had no business playing for Tubby. Him and Rondo hurt their selves at UK. Morris needed a coach to challenge himm. Rondo needed a coach to let him go. Could have been somuch better. No one can tell me Morris had more talent in one foot then Jorts had all over.

16. #15 is wrong
    3:54 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

#15, this kid had/has almost zero drive. Didn’t want to work at it. COULDA/WOULDA/SHOULDA can happen all day but in the end it’s the person who has to make the choice, not the ones around him.

Great Job Drew, anything to take a shot at Tubby. Dork.

17. HUBER
    5:05 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

As someone who got to meet Randolph earlier this year, I couldn’t have been more surprised how down to earth and nice he was. I really have my fingers crossed that he gets a second chance at the NBA because I think the guy has a different head on his shoulders than when we was at UK. Nice guy.

18. Duke Sucks
    10:48 pm July 23, 2012 Permalink

#16 you made my point for me. That is why he needed a coach to push him. That is the main job of a coach is to know which players need to be pushed and some need to be hugged. That is what makes Cal so good is he does a better job at it then about any other coach. If you can’t get that then you 1) Never played a sport in your life or 2) Are so much of a Tubby homer that you fail to see anything. In case you missed it Tubby had us at a verry low place he has over half of the 10 loss seasons in UK history. WE should not have made the NCAA his last 2 years if we hadn’t have been uk we would not have