Coach Cal’s late night message to the BBN

Wonder what Coach Cal did last night? He filmed a video for the Big Blue Nation, of course.

In his message, Cal said that what he wants people to take away from this win and season is that young talent can share, sacrifice and put together a championship run. As I listen to talk radio this morning, that seems to be what the national media is finally realizing, and recognizing Cal for.

#champions

51 Comments for Coach Cal’s late night message to the BBN

1. You know what?
    10:34 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

It’s gr8 to be f1rst!

2. nunya
    10:35 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

18th!

3. uk3k
    10:35 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

Does this guy ever sleep? Take a nap, you have more than earned it coach.

Thanks for #8 coach!

4. Scfcats
    10:37 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

Cal did 3 goggles in that quite a few times.

5. FlySoup
    10:38 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

why are you hashtagging on a media that isn’t hashtag-searchable? just because it’s the cool thing to do? #quitbeingamoron

6. Maxbps8
    10:42 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

Congrats Kats! BBN. Coach Cal. MKG. AD. Darius. Doron. TJ. Marquis. Kyle. And Crew! You all deserve it!

7. esteban
    10:43 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

How did this man not win coach of the year? 38-2 National Champs and they give it to Bill Self who lost 10 games(1 to Davidson!) and we beat TWICE. what a joke!

8. BobKYCats
    10:44 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

#Iheartneedlesshashtagsnowletsgogetnumbernine

9. Concerned uk fan
    10:54 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

Hate to be a party pooper, but does anyone else get weary when he says “I’m tired?” not that he shouldn’t be, but there could be double meaning there?

10. saulsmithhaircut
    10:54 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

why is there an asterisk next to the 8?

11. Concerned uk fan
    10:56 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

You went too far #10…

12. Old Guy in Lower Arena
    10:58 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

#9 – yes, I guess there could be a double meaning. I’m tired=I don’t want to coach anymore=Why does my life have no purpose=where is my hangman’s rope when I need it?

Do we know if he left his hotel room this morning?

13. Han
    10:58 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

Basketball never stops, and neither does Cal’s recruiting pitches.

10) The asterisk reads “Suck it, h8ers.”

14. bc
    10:59 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

No, really why is there a star by #8 on the t-shirt

15. scfcats
    11:03 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

9 – Think about how long he’s being going after this. All that weight off his back. Carrying that around for years, I’d be tired too.

Did anyone else hear that clip of him saying his next goal is to have an undefeated team and win it all? I think he is here to stay, don’t worry about it.

16. knightynight
    11:03 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

9- shut up….just enjoy #8!!!!

17. Concerned uk fan
    11:03 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

#12, I’m just saying he might leave/retire at UK. I wouldn’t take it that far. Us crazy UK fans has to get old sometimes.

18. saulsmithhaircut
    11:04 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

its on the shirt. and i am a fan 13. im just wondering.

19. Concerned uk fan
    11:04 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

#16, loving every moment of it!

20. NewOrleansBLUES
    11:06 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

We love you Cal. You deserve all the support you get. Keep working the last of the one and done non believers are gone. ITs all you now man keep winning we know you can. We know you can get good kids and make them better on and off the court. BBN has nothing to worry about you have fully restored the program. Now you can really enjoy no one 2nd guessing you.!!! Amazing
    Work

21. scfcats
    11:06 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

10 – Look at the reverse side of the shirt. It says that the #8 represents the # of NT’s Kentucky has.

22. Nick
    11:06 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

Honestly, I love everything he is saying. But I also just wish he would/could savor it a little more, enjoy it for himself. I wouldn’t begrudge him that at all.

23. saulsmithhaircut
    11:08 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

no kidding twenty one. i was just wondering about the asterisk next to the 8 on the front.

24. tyrus
    11:09 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

2nd biggest day in UK history…right? Seriously, thank you Ms T for your significant contribution to this basketball season. With your ever steady posting, for expressing how you and the BBN felt during the season, you were the constant wind beneath our wings. Hope you’re not a one and your saying will now be always present with the BBN, WE GOT THIS!

25. saulsmithhaircut
    11:09 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

i get it i guess. still think its kinda weird.

26. #WWMKGD
    11:11 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

22. It’s a front. I can guarantee when the cameras are off, he is ecstatic and celebrating with his family. He wants all the attention to be on all the kids now though.

27. Your Comment Is Awaiting Moderation
    11:12 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

He gets it … and he got his.

28. Concerned uk fan
    11:13 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

26, I hope it’s a front, coach needs to enjoy this!!

29. Mike
    11:14 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

I think Cal took more personal enjoyment out of this than what he states his policy of “doing it for the team”… He is very slick and you know he wanted this just as bad as we all did, and I am glad he and the team and BBN accomplished the mission they set out to do at the beginning of the year. It was a hellava ride this year and possibly my most enjoyable year ever on the sidelines. My only slight regret is that the Cats didn’t make a statement 2nd half like they did the first. Several times this year we would let our opponent back in and actually beat us in the 2nd half and the same happened last night. The national scribes alluded that we “held on” to get the win, and I was hoping we could have buried them after the half. If we can get these next couple of recruits on board we should be in a good position to get #9.

30. 8isGreat
    11:14 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

Cal just gets it.

31. Ridge Runner
    11:15 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

BBN loves ya Coach…thx for all you do!

32. Mudcreekmark
    11:18 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

If you are a top recruit why would you want to play anywhere else except Kentucky? There is no doubt that Cal and UK right now has a Kentucky effect. How else can you explain that 6 players from one team could be drafted. How do you get kids drafted who average 13 points a game and shoot 11 shots a game?There is no other program that is getting the exposure that UK is and it has a big effect on NBA execs.

33. Concerned uk fan
    11:18 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

Example of typical uk fan: “we want #9!” c’mon guys it’s been less than 24 hours since #8. I want #9 too, but let’s celebrate #8 some more!

34. 00BBN00
    11:19 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

Even though he hasn’t “been here,” he is still trying to act like he’s “been here.” You know, with poise and humbleness. Just like he has taught his kids from day 1.

35. Amanda
    11:20 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

I hope he writes a book about this past year. I think we could all learn a lot from this team!

36. kantucky
    11:21 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

Congratzzz Coach!! and Team!! This song is for you. Representing yall in the right way!

37. Mudcreekmark
    11:21 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

I loved it last night when Coach Cal said he told Davis at halftime not to force shots just because he hadn’t scored. And then he shoots first 3 shots of second half. Davis says,”I was open” Cal says” you were open because you were 1 for 10″. Not special treatment no matter who you are. I was screaming at the TV for Davis to quit shooting because it was just not his night on offense.

38. Katmancsm
    11:24 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

All the trolls and haters will start their rants about cheating, vacating titles, and garbage ad nauseous in 3, 2, 1

39. 00BBN00
    11:25 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

Davis should have had a lot more points or at least free throw attempts. they were absolutely HACKING him in the post. Self definitely told his guys to HURT the UK players. look at the way they went at MKG. some of those fouls should have been flagrant 1’s or ejections… Doesn’t matter though because even though the Cats played 8 on 5 UK still won!

40. Katmancsm
    11:26 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

Nauseum

41. 00BBN00
    11:26 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

38. let ’em. I’ll just continue to laugh as we stack up #1 recruiting classes, final fours, and national championships. 🙂

42. Concerned uk fan
    11:27 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

39, I usually give people the benefit of the doubt, but they were really beating up on MKG and AD.

43. Bluez
    11:40 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

Front of Shirt: 8*

Back of Shirt: * Eight time National Champions

No conspiracy theory there. The 8 on the front of the shirt looks like a uniform number until you read the fine print on the back that denotes the meaning.

44. 00BBN00
    11:50 am April 3, 2012 Permalink

42. Seriously! Only conclusion I can draw is that they were COACHED to do so. Just as they were coached to trash talk before the game…

45. WSFLWildcat
    12:04 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

Thanks Coach! BBN is happy for us and we are happy for you too! Enjoy it, you have earned it!

46. NKY CAT MAN
    12:19 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

Greatest coach in the land.

47. NKY CAT MAN
    12:21 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

Noel will look nice in blue next year, want a ring son? Come to UK

48. Krista
    12:39 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

#1 COACH EVER!!!! Congrats to Coach Cal and the team. Big Blue Nation is sooooo proud!!!

49. BigBlueWilly
    1:03 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

It’s been said many times before, but this video is further proof, that Coach Cal, “Gets it!”. Not only does he “Get It”, but I truly think he relishes what it means to be the basketball coach at the University of Kentucky! How many other basketball coaches would tape a segment to the fanbase, from his hotel room like that? Answer=None!

50. Scfcats
    2:07 pm April 3, 2012 Permalink

23 – look at 43s post. That is what iwas trying to say.

51. Marine