“Look Cal, this is what SEC COY’s do.  Trust me man.”

It’s no secret that the SEC outside of Kentucky has been awful in out of conference play this year, so I’m going to pose you a question.  Has John Calipari – absent an SEC season collapse for Kentucky – already locked up SEC Coach of the Year?

The case for:

-A lot of people had this Kentucky team coming in second or third in the SEC East prior to the season – and that was with Enes Kanter still being a question mark.  At this point, those same writers are putting out the ‘Can Kentucky make it to the final four on the back of Josh Harrellson’ stories.

Ken Pomeroy has the Cats only losing once in conference, playing in Nashville against Vanderbilt (and only losing by one, have you.)  He also crunched the numbers and he gives Kentucky almost a 50% chance to finish the conference play with 14 wins.  Change that to 13 wins, and it’s up to 75%.  Who’s better in conference?  No one.

-Outside of Kentucky, Georgia and Vanderbilt, every other SEC team has at least one embarassing out of conference loss to a non BCA school.  It’s understandable that teams are a little shaky early in the season, but the blame for those losses generally has to fall on the coaches for not getting their players prepared for what should be easy wins.

The case against:

John Calipari didn’t win it last year because his talent was too good.  Instead, they decided to give it to Kevin Stallings, I guess for being the only guy in the league that could be a stand in on King of the Hill.

And really, that’s about it.  In my opinion, if Kentucky wins 12 or more games with no sweeps – and no embarassing losses at home – Cal wins his first SEC COY.  The only thing I could see standing in his way is a sweep from Georgia or Vanderbilt, or a team like Auburn feasting on the weakness of the west and gaining media darling status.

So, what do you think?

Article written by Will Lentz

48 Comments for Stone Cold Lock Of The Century – Of The Week: Coach Calipari As SEC Coach Of The Year?

1. UK Wildcat
    8:06 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

Coach Cal should have a serious case for NCAA coach of the year by the end of the regular season. We’ll have something like a 27-3 record and a definite top 5 ranking with a team nobody thought could be this good.

2. RidgeRunner
    8:06 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

Absolutely, Yes! Not even close, Cal gets it pending something from the twilight zone happening.

3. GoCats2
    8:10 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

Will, you didnt read your KSR bullet points. KSR consistently says that Kevin Stallings is that guy from The Office, not King of the Hill. Get it right next time.

4. RidgeRunner
    8:11 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

I have to eat crow. I actually was one of those in here that said without Enes = a 10 loss season. I was dead wrong (and glad too).

Cal has worked this small group (6 players) like a true chemistry manager & got them into shape while doing so. Jones is still a work in progress and Miller sometimes will go eat lunch on ya…but these 2 still are above so many in the SEC even with faults. The dribble-drive is finally introduced and this group executes it well to this point.

5. Colorado Cat
    8:11 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

If he doesn’t win COY, it’s jealousy and bad politics. Shouldn’t the question be for NCAA COY rather than just SEC?

6. RidgeRunner
    8:16 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

5…agreed. I say he is in the running for NCAA COY along with the San Diego State coach as one off the top of my head.

But in the SEC…it’s a lock.

7. echo 1
    8:24 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

Can we play the conference schedule first, then decide? If he wins the conference after losing 5 guys to the NBA, then yes, he is COY hands down and it isn’t even close.

8. GoCats2
    8:25 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

Well I see what kind of pull Matt has over at CBS sports. THere is a poll question up asking who is the best college basketball coach in history and Rupp is not one of the choices, but there are 2 womens coaches in the choices.

9. RidgeRunner
    8:29 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

7…I think we understand that obviously, but it is kinda fun to speculate right before conference season starts based on what we have seen to this point and what lies ahead.

Then again, the way my predictions go…I’ll say he finishes last.
    🙁

10. RidgeRunner
    8:29 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

8…No Rupp as a choice? GULP!

11. Go Cats
    8:31 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

Would it be as big of a deal as it was 7 yrs ago if we went undefeated in the SEC? (that was 04, right?)

12. Tom
    8:31 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

Will, are you sure this wasn’t supposed to be BTI’s column for tomorrow morning?

13. RidgeRunner
    8:34 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

11….2003 w/ Bogans & Fitch I believe.

14. Free Enes
    8:38 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

The sexism on this site makes me wish the comments were moderated. Why hate on female coaches IN AN POST ABOUT CAL. If it were relevant to the post…but it’s not, shut up you fools.

15. Ghostface Killa
    8:38 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

What happened to Enes? I am hearing nothing.

All anyone is saying is DeAndre Daniels to Kansas. Give me something positive. Give me some news people.

Cal’s great–we got that. Info People, Info

16. Go Cats
    8:39 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

13 – you are correct, sir. just checked that out on bigbluehistory.net.

17. echo 1
    8:42 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

14 – This is for you. Enjoy.

18. RidgeRunner
    8:50 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

14 – Ya know, your right, sweetcakes. Doggone it!

19. SexnNursinHomes
    8:51 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

I usually have pretty accurate hindsight, and yesterday I predicted 12-2, fast forward today, I’m 100% correct. $10 please.

20. RidgeRunner
    8:51 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

**^Darned comma’s^**

21. RidgeRunner
    8:52 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

19…Rub it in…ya dirty nogoodsongfa&%$jjeoo(&
    🙂

22. Renardo sidney
    8:53 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

You’re crazy, Rick Stansbury a.k.a Ricky no sack is COY.

23. LansingCat
    8:53 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

14-and by sweetcakes, 18 meant a$$hol3.

24. SexnNursinHomes
    8:55 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

21-ha ha ha!! wait till you see my next set of predictions. They will be one week after the NCAA championship game. I the have the hindsight of a bottlenose dolphin.

25. knightynight
    8:56 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

We have only had 1 victory this whole season that was under double digits…Washington. We beat OKU by 10 and other than that, we have dominated teams thoroughly. Doing that and losing 5 players to the NBA draft is pretty incredible!!! Coach Cal is a gel-ler

26. BPsycho
    8:58 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

Bobble head Bruce Pearl on ESPN2 lol

27. RidgeRunner
    9:00 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

26…I’m there! Hey, wait…his head isn’t on a lil preachin’ baby …..ummm……is it?
    **scared, worried**

28. LansingCat
    9:06 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

This place is boring tonight. I’m going out to get hammered. You guys hold down the fort, alright?

29. KySportsBuzz
    9:07 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

At this point it looks like a good bet. Still a bit too premature, though with SEC play having not started yet.

30. randy hardwick
    9:07 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

-14-listen closely: Basketball. women’s basketball. two completely different things. never to be mentioned in the same sentence. the only semblance the latter has to Basketball is that it is played on a plane of like dimensions. grow some

31. Pat Summit
    9:16 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

14-Fact of the matter is, the women’s game is much different (aside from the object of the game, of course). You brought sexism into this conversation. The poster before you was just stating Rupp wasn’t on it, and that two women were. You were ASSUMING that he was being sexist… and you know what happens when you assume…

32. Mel Gibson
    9:18 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

14- Hey Sugar tits

33. randy hardwick
    9:37 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

no refresh

34. BabyMommaDrama
    9:40 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

Did Coleman for Memphis just yell shots fired, when he got the technical?

35. hank r. hill
    9:41 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

KING OF THE HILL is the best TV show ever!

36. boom
    9:44 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

family guy

37. BPsycho
    9:53 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

#27 Lol

#32 lmao I will laugh at Mel Gibson jokes everytime..

38. wont happen
    9:58 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

I doubt Cal wins it. I know 2 sec coaches personally that have said they will never vote for him for anything in this league. One is because of how he treated the coach when he was at Memphis when it came to scheduling, and the other just doesn’t like Cal.

39. MikeInLex
    9:59 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

#37 – You look like a douche.

40. SexnNursinHomes
    10:05 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

38- good ol’ visit from Mel- the luxury of dual names on here

41. Throckmorton
    10:06 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

Cal has it locked as long as the gel stays gelled.

42. BPsycho
    10:08 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

#35 My father hates the show. For some reason I have always loved it.

#36 Yup, that’s what’s up.

#37 Lol

I do the dougie, I may look like a clown, but I’ll keep doing the dougie thanks lol

and the stanky leg.

43. BPsycho
    10:10 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

#41 Did you hear what he was joking about with Winona Ryder?

44. SexnNursinHomes
    10:11 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

44- no, he make fun of her tits too?

45. BPsycho
    10:52 pm January 5, 2011 Permalink

#44 Well it was probably worse than anything I’ve ever said to anyone ever. I can’t post all of it but he was talking about Jews and making jokes, and she said he called her an “Oven Dodger”

I don’t ever really even jokingly make fun of Jews, so I’ve never heard the term before. I thought I was offensive, I heard that and was like “holy **** even I find that offensive” lol

Having said that, Winona Ryder is a thieving ***** so maybe it wasn’t true lol

46. UKoverALL
    12:39 am January 6, 2011 Permalink

I would not count on Stansbury’s vote or Donovan’s vote for that matter. SEC coaches (and Pitino) are green because of Cal’s success and they just hate him and would find reasons not to vote him COY but who cares?

47. Lexie's Brother
    10:08 am January 6, 2011 Permalink

The COY award is political nonsense. Phil Jackson has won 11 NBA Championships and only won NBA COY one time. In comparison, crazy Don Nelson has won NBA COY 3 times. In the SEC, Kevin Stallings and Bruce Pearl have won COY twice. Meanwhile, Billy Donovan has won 2 National Championships and been to 3 Final Fours at Florida, yet never won SEC COY. Based on the history, Cal will probably never win the award because jealous coaches are the ones that vote. However, it really doesn’t matter since neither Cal nor UK fans need to validate how great a coach Calipari is. Winnig is proof enough.

48. Han
    11:28 am January 6, 2011 Permalink

He’ll probably deserve it, but some other coach (notably guys in controversy like Pearl or Stansbury, or with a hot seat like Pelph, or underachieving but always overrated Donovan), will have some mini run to finish second in the East or first in the West and everyone will say they did it with less talent than Cal so they’re a better coach. Mind you, recruiting is part of coaching, so if you bring in better recruits, why should you be seen as less of a coach? Yet that hurt Cal last year. Short of overcoming injuries/disaster, Cal will have to go undefeated/win a title to get Coach of the Year nationally, too, as people A) Think he recruits too well, and B) Don’t like him.

I think he should get it and might, but if Enes is made eligible or Daniels joins us and plays, people will just say Cal has all the talent and doesn’t have to coach and they’ll give the award to Stallings for having the Dores the best team in the league not counting Kentucky.