Coach Cal video chats with the troops

All photos by @CoachCaldotCom

Before you even had your second cup of coffee, John Calipari has been visiting with our nation’s finest. This morning, Coach Cal video chatted with soldiers from Task Force Longrifles, a Kentucky National Guard unit stationed in Djibouti, Africa and troops in Mississippi who are about to deploy to Jordan. His website tweeted out the following pictures:

Cal showing off his National Championship ring:

Cal with Lieutenant Colonel Kirk Hilbrecht, Captain Jake McKinney and Major General Edward Tonini:

Thank you for your service, guys.

18 Comments for Coach Cal video chats with the troops

1. j
    11:44 am January 8, 2013 Permalink

Capital of Djibouti is Djibouti

2. RG3's Knee
    11:45 am January 8, 2013 Permalink

I know Captain McKinney – a Louisville fan, but a great guy. Thank you for your service, men.

3. Gypsy Robyn
    11:54 am January 8, 2013 Permalink

I am a proud Air Force Mom. Thank you Coach for taking the time to connect with these troops!
    Thanks KSR for sharing this with us.

4. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    12:16 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

What the heck could troops be doing in Djbouti?

5. buzzard
    12:19 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

it looks like Coach could use a little better set up when it come to his TV. I guess he spent all the money on the new locker room.

6. RICK
    12:43 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

God Bless and thanks for sharing this.

7. tyson
    1:00 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Mrs. TT, you missed a perfect opportunity for a caption contest with that first pic.

“I like my country!”

8. Let Me Guess...
    1:01 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

He gets it? #4 Protecting all that money we are sending them.

9. USA!!!!!!!
    1:07 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Thanks to all the men and women who serve and protect us. HOWEVER, this is exactly why our team is not even ranked. Kyle should be in the gym working on rebounding and building muscle. Its great Cal is talking with the troops but you know Kevin Stallings is preparing his guys as we speak. Once again thanks to the troops but this celebrity attitude is why we wont be ranked all season.

10. Bigblue
    1:11 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

9) I do not see what taking time to talk to the service members overseas has to do with us being unranked. I think this type stuff helps the team. It is good we have program where this is being encouraged..visiting the sick, thanking the servicemen, raising money for the people stricken by disaster…that is all good stuff. Down the road they have a coach that has no morals…we do not want that.

11. Jesse Watts
    1:52 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

I went to highschool and college with jake McKinney. The funny thing is, he is a die hard UofL fan. He trashes UK all the time and says he hates Coach Cal. Ha Ha, I thought that was funny. However, being a UofL fan, that is as close as he will come to a national championship ring. Go cats!!!

12. Relative
    1:54 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

The man wearing the hat on the left part of the screen is Lieutenant Colonel Robert Larkin. Follow the 138th fires brigade at http://www.facebook.com/pages/138th-Fires-Brigade/152623904801758

13. McKinney's Lip
    2:46 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Dude, quit biting me. What’s your deal? Oh…i get it.

14. CAUKFAN
    3:09 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

HoooRaaaa

15. CAUKFAN
    3:14 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

4 – Check out a map and you’ll see it’s a very strategic location.

16. SF Guy
    3:20 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Why do officers always get to do morale highlight stuff? The enlisted solider does all the heavy lifting in the military and officers get all the glory. I bet they didn’t even consider taking any enlisted members, and if they did I bet they were not below the rank of a Sargent Major. Makes me want to puke.

17. NCO
    5:42 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

#16 – I was wearing the UK shirt sitting next to Lt. Col. Larkin and Im an E-5. Only 2 officers showed up for the Skype and the majority of us were below the rank of E-5. Coach was great to talk to and thanked us continuously for everything we have done. Being away from home and huge UK fans, since our National Guard Armory is in Lexington, Ky, it was a great and very rare opportunity to be able to speak with him. We were very humbled that Coach Cal and Kyle Wiltjer took time out of their busy schedule just to be able to talk to us. Thanks again Coach and GO CATS!!!

18. E-3
    7:16 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Man, I just got taken out of Camp Lemmonnier and sent to Ethiopia the DAY before the UL/UK game and of course missed the oppurtunity to do this. SUCKS. Go cats. UK will be ranked again.