Coach Cal puts out a call to Big Blue Nation for the Alumni Game

Coach Cal is a little disappointed, and he would like to ask for your help. “I’m a little disappointed to report that we haven’t sold all of our tickets for the lower bowl.” Calipari took to his website today to clear up a few things about an event that he mentions only a school like Kentucky could pull off to this magnitude.

A few notes from Calipari:

– None of the players coming back are being paid to take part in the event.

– Calipari wants the players to use this as an opportunity to give back to the community.

– Calipari expects that many players will write big checks to charities like Samaritan’s Feet, 4 Paws for Ability and the West Liberty Recovery Fund.

– UK is unable to officially announce the list of players in attendance, but if you look at Twitter, you can probably figure out what Cal will say: A lot of the players you want to see will be in attendance.

– UK can confirm the members of the 1996 team who will be at the game: Derek Anderson, Wayne Turner, Tony Delk, Antoine Walker, Jeff Sheppard, Walter McCarty, Anthony Epps, Jared Prickett and Oliver Simmons.

– Former players Perry Stevenson and Randolph Morris will also be playing in the alumni game.

– Drake will be coaching. But you already knew that.

And in the most Calipari-ish comment of the entire article, Calipari alluded to an unnamed special visitor (my detective skills tell me Julius Randle) who Big Blue Nation can make a big impact with. “Keep in mind we may have some other special people visiting that weekend who will want to see what the Big Blue Nation is capable of. We want to continue to show them that you can only do things like this at this level at Kentucky.”

Tickets for the alumni game can only be purchased at the Rupp Arena box office, online at Ticketmaster.com, at any Ticketmaster Outlet or by phone at 1-800-745-3000. All remaining seats are reserved and priced at $40 (lower level) and $20 (upper level). There is a four-ticket limit per person. Online orders and phone orders will have additional fees attached.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

17 Comments for Coach Cal puts out a call to Big Blue Nation for the Alumni Game

1. Dean
    3:29 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

Come on people…Go to the game..we don’t want this to be a failure ..I want to see it every year..and I’ll be there

2. Champ
    3:32 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

Oliver Simmons!!?? SIGN ME UP 🙂

3. DB11
    3:43 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

Too soon. They exhausted this last year

4. JEREMY
    4:10 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

Excuses…excuses… Come on everybody its not a lot of money, take your son or daughter and not only do you get to see every former UK stars and (Oliver Simmons) you also get to help charities with your purchase. Plus BBN needs to represent for the Julius Randle and show him some love with a chant or even better a packed house! GO CATS!!!

5. Ticketmaster
    4:50 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

When the announcement of tickets was made that there would be a limit of 4 per purchase I thought that might a small problem. Nice that a few charities will benefit but not a lot of entertainment value for the regular Joe.

6. blueaville
    4:55 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

I’m sorry I love Cal as much as the next guy but he just needs to chill a bit. Don’t give us crap about not going to a scrimmage with former players. I spend enough time away from home going to regular season games (home AND occasional road game) and going to football games. So spare me the crap about UK being different than everyone else. We have 8 titles…that makes us different. Not attendance at a scrimmage.

Sorry…off soap box now, let’s get back to football.

7. Section 133
    5:35 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

Sorry, I no interest in this. None.

8. Where's Mercer?
    6:17 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

Why hasn’t Mercer committed to playing? If he goes, I’m there. I’d love to see Edwards as well.

9. kelley
    7:04 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

I convinced my husband to take me to this game, and I couldn’t be more stoked! And we’re playing it by ear, but we’ll probably go to the football game too.

10. tyrus
    7:05 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

Lower the ticket prices. It’s not like the charities will complain. Zero interest here in buying tickets. Need to get more creative in order to capture the attention of the average fan other than bouncing and shooting a basketball.

11. johnnywho
    7:29 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

Not enough time between the tix on sale and the game…they should have announced this in early July

12. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    8:31 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

No Mark Pope? No thank you

13. Bledsoe's Biceps
    8:31 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

Cal seems to have over estimated how much he can get into the pockets of the fans. I realize the proceeds are for charities, but the ticket prices are a little steep, for an event that has very little entertainment value. You’re paying to be in the same zip code with some ex UK players and watch them halfheartedly play around. Plus these scrimmages have been done to death over the past year.

14. Screw Obama
    9:00 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

#1 and#4 Some are soon to forget that due to Obama’s polices a lot of us are out of work.$40 is a lot of money to us on unemployment. I would bet Matt will leave out how many of us are out of work that used to attended the games. I guess this is the change to believe in. Going from 70,000 a year to $335 a week 4 more years of this hell we won’t be able to afford a radio to hear the games. I guess the war on coal is worth it to somebody I guess? It’s just not worth it to the ones who actually live in the Mts. The next protest against coal that UK has Joe Craft, LD Gorman, Greg Wells, and Elmer Whitaker should pull their funding and let the students and faculty see just how much coal is supporting them.

15. Better off than 4 years ago? Not me!
    9:41 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

If Jason Latherm is playing I will be there.

16. Yesterdays
    10:22 pm September 9, 2012 Permalink

I’ve shelled out alot of money for UK events- SEC tourney in NOLA, neutral site road games, etc. I just dont think 40 bucks on the day of a football game is worth the hassle. The games last year between UK and DOM Republic were awful.

17. Stephen