Coach Cal on leaving the starters in…

doron-lamb-injury

Here is what Coach Cal had to say after the game when asked why his starters were left in the game late with such a large lead.  Much like in the South Carolina game, Calipari cited the opposing coach’s decision to not call off his dogs when the game seemed out of reach.  Since Anthony Grant was not letting off the gas, Coach Cal apparently didn’t want to either and potentially face a situation of having to bring guys back in the game.

They didn’t stop pressing. You don’t know my bench. I play six guys. If they had stopped pressing, I would have subbed with three minutes to go. But they didn’t stop pressing and they kept grabbing and strapping. And the minute he backed up, I would have substituted.

All right. So I sub, and they make a couple threes, we miss it, my bench is saying we’re fine. It goes to 11. I sub my guys back in now, we miss foul shots, and it’s three, and you say, You never played those guys all year. Why would you do that? Why wouldn’t you finish the game off? You don’t win. Obviously, I would have rather have had all of them out. We play tomorrow. But I’m trying to win that game.  Good question, though.

As mentioned before, Doron Lamb is listed as doubtful and DeAndre Liggins is listed as probably for tomorrow’s championship game.  Both have left ankle sprains suffered in the final 1:30 of the game.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

94 Comments for Coach Cal on leaving the starters in…

1. ukcats57
    5:10 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

should have subbed at 2 minute mark.

2. Voice of Reason
    5:11 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Shut up…we’re in the SEC Championship game regardless…Go Cats

3. GoCats2
    5:11 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

I keep trying to make the point over and over. If he puts in Polson, Poole, Vargas, and Hood at the end with one of the starters and the starter gets injured whom do we blame? Injuries happen.

4. john snith
    5:12 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

report from locker room…no swellin ineither player

5. mandrew
    5:12 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Cal sounds defensive here. He, I and everyone else knows there was no point in those guys being in the game up 20 so late. You take them out to keep them fresh and to prevent senseless injuries. What’s he going to do tomorrow? Play his other five guys for 40 minutes? You play with fire and you get burned.

6. GoCats2
    5:13 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

We dont have enough subs to pull everyone. I mean it was actually one of the subs who got injured(liggins).

7. comments?
    5:14 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

3) yes, injuries can happen any time. But you can reduce your risk of injury by taking out key players with 90 seconds left when you’re up double digits.

8. There is no god but Allah
    5:15 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Why are Kentucky fans acting like such douchebags over a couple of measely sprained ankles?

9. Lee
    5:16 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Wish we had worked with the bench before this. Or at least know their abilities. Right now, no experience players, might as well send the bench back to Lexington if they’re not capable of NCAA play.

10. ukcatsfan2
    5:17 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Calipari’s right, you know….

I wouldn’t have subbed either…

11. Mr Schwump
    5:18 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Bottom line is now Knight and Jones must remove their collective heads from their collective asses and start playing ball.

12. Double A
    5:18 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

I have been a distant watcher on this web for Four years. I live in Va and played baseball and graduated from UK in the early 90’s. Let coach do his job. He is human and will make mistakes as you will. He follows his gut feeling and nothing more. I’m not calling any players out but some on the bench scare me, so he took a chance and it didnt work out. Get over it and move on!!!!

13. CatfaninTN
    5:18 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

@7 I agree. I said so on Matts radio show too. They were talking RANDOMNESS, theres nothing random if the kid wasnt in the game when it was locked up.

JORTS for all SEC Tourney team and maybe even MVP of tourney.

CFT

14. BlueMike
    5:20 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Didn’t VT just lose when they were up by 10 with 40 seconds left? Alabama was playing hard, pressing, couldn’t sub. If he had put the subs in when they would normally go in (3-4 minute mark) that lead would have disappeared quickly and then everyone would be bitching about us blowing a huge lead late in a game. Injuries happen, can’t predict them, deal with it. We’re still the Cats and we’re still the class of the SEC. Instead of spewing all the hate towards Cal and his substitution patterns, let’s throw some hate towards Florida. We’ll be fine. You wanted subs? You’re going to get one tomorrow. We won, let’s enjoy it. Why so serious?

15. myles
    5:20 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

I don’t have a problem with cal leaving the guys in, I mean I play right now(aau) and when you get pulled in a game with 10 mins to go up 20, its hard to come back and have that same fight the next game……..

16. GoCats2
    5:22 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

#7 You say taking out key players? Okay so who do you leave in? Jorts? he is pretty key…Miller? pretty key. Knight? All I am saying is in a 6 man rotation and only 10 players on the team one of the “key” players has to be in the game. He could be injured. Injuries happen.

17. me
    5:23 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Good way to build up the confidence of our bench telling them you didnt trust them to hold a 20 point lead because they was pressing.Maybe hes trying to make a few guys leave at the end of the season??

18. Kyfanscan'tcoach
    5:24 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Cal makes the big bucks. Let him deal with this. He knows this team better than any of you. This also means you tard fans. Look back two years ago, the view looks better now doesn’t it? Lean back and enjoy the ride, it only gets better. GO BLUE OR SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!

19. JBR
    5:24 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Cal is a recruiter…and a fair coach. If he had been developing his bench ALL year, then they would be ready to play in this situation. We have a few guys that are good enough talents that could come in and keep a lead, without question. I’m not cutting on Cal, he is what he is, and our fans just need to realize that…he is a great recruiter, and will let NBA lottery picks play their game (i.e. “develop” for the NBA), but he is not going to win any x’s and o’s battles. I’m not bent out of shape, that is just reality. It is funny how many folkds get on here and if anyone says any little thing about Cal, they blow a gasket because he is OUR coach…those same “see the world thru blue colored glasses” people were the same ones calling him a cheater when he was at Memphis. Just because he is our coach does not mean he cannot have a bad year or make mistakes. He doesn’t develop decent talent that great, period…luckily, his recruiting and our name will not put him in that situation a lot here.

20. comments?
    5:25 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

16) Yes, but the chances of injury are 80% less if one “key” player is in the game instead of 5, right? We didn’t need all those guys in the game with 90 seconds left to win.

21. bung
    5:26 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

thank goodness we were up 26 with 6 min left, if we had been up 10 we woulda lost…..

22. herm edwards says
    5:28 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

you play to win the game…

23. GoCats2
    5:28 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

#20 I do agree with you. I was actually asking for subs with 5 minutes to go(apparently Cal cant hear me from my family room). I was just trying to make the point that someone can always get hurt no matter what you do.

24. Number 19 is gay
    5:30 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Don’t you think he has been trying to develope these guys all year..? (crickets)

You folks are unreal. If you could coach, play, graduate from college you would be/have. You can’t coach in the PeeWee League but you ALL can coach the premier program in the country…bizarre.

25. SlangInMyShortJeans
    5:31 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

19) He developed Jorts… Cal is a better coach than he is given credit for. He’s had to develop 3+ freshman each year he’s been here so far. He’s been developing liggins and jorts and miller too. At this early stage in his coaching at UK, his upperclassmen aren’t HIS upperclassmen. So he has less time to be developing the bench when he’s still trying to develop the starters/freshman. And let’s be honest, this year’s freshman are late bloomers and needed a lot of extra attention, especially compared to last year’s.

26. d1ja
    5:31 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

15. If getting subbed for because your team is up 20 with 3mins to go affects your play the next game, you must not be a very good player

27. The Real Hambone
    5:31 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Get of Cal’s back you bunch of mouth-breathers. I’d bet my false teeth that none of you in-breds have never played in an orginized game of basketball, much less coached one. Bunch of dummies.

28. sunnycat
    5:32 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

People its March the bench players havent done anything all year. Bama pressed until the end. Would you trust the bench when the starters struggle against a press?

29. Ktcook
    5:32 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Give Coach Cal a break.

30. M Caron
    5:32 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Wah wah wah wah wah.
    So maybe he could have put in Hood with a couple minutes to go. Let’s all cry and bitch and moan like usual.

31. Blueburg
    5:35 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

8 we don’t need you comin on here being some kind of little smarta$$. People can feel how ever they want about it. If you don’t like it you can kiss my red, white and blue a$$.

32. Jeremy
    5:36 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Let’s just take down Florida tomorrow. Nothin’ but love for Cal.

33. d1ja
    5:36 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

24. That’s the problem, Cal has had several games he could’ve put subs in the game so that they would be prepared for moments like this.

34. sunnycat
    5:37 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Up 26 won by 14….I wouldnt sub either

35. anus kantplay
    5:37 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Suck a niggadick matt faggitjones

36. Wayne Campbell
    5:38 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

I thought I had mono for an entire year once, turns out I was just really bored.

37. sunnycat
    5:38 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

33 Which “several” games would that be?

38. Jeremy
    5:39 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

The guy on the left side of the photo is having a great time…

39. anus kantplay
    5:39 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Uk sucksdicks!!!

40. Matto123
    5:41 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Who cares, UK won the NCAA championship already…in smallbore. Everything else that happens in March will be overshadowed…

41. IndyCat
    5:45 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

How has no one noticed that Alfonso Ribiero apparently became a physical trainer for the Cats when the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air ended?

42. Bill Curry
    5:45 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

38) Is that chris Paul or Brandon Stockton???

43. d1ja
    5:47 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

37. just quickly looking at the schedule…any of the 8-9 games we won by 15+ BEFORE we entered sec play

44. lexslamman
    5:47 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

31.

Of course people can feel however they want about it – you all are free to be wrong and free to act like fools. Other people are also free to criticize and ridicule you for acting like fools. Isn’t America great?

45. tombanjo
    5:54 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

shrooms. shrooms. i got shrooms.

46. GODSAZNO
    5:54 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Hood should be capable enough to secure the ball and make free throws. Let the bench have some tourney fun! This small of an error window is how Calipari will be judged at UK.

47. your mom
    5:55 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Everyone here makes me want to puke all over myself. Coach just coached a hell of a game and the players played their asses off. Everyone chill out on coach Cal and his decision to leave the starters in the game. He is our coach and if you don’t like his decisions then go find another team to cheer for.

48. robby
    6:00 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

While I disagree with the decision to leave all the starters in, it was coach’s decision to make. Every coach would make a different decision in any situation, so no one is really wrong here. It just simply did not work out for him this time. I support him and the team, and I have decided to just move on and get ready to watch the team beat up on the Gators tomorrow!

49. bung
    6:01 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

all year we crumble when we stall

50. BravoBigBlue
    6:01 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Cal is full of BS. He needs to take a course in Coaching 101. All the talent he’s recruited and how many national championships? Cal, at least get Kentucky to a Final 4 before you talk like you’ve done something here. Winning a lot and winning in the postseason are what matter most to the Big Blue Nation, not how many NBA draft picks are on the roster. For $4 mil per year, you need to step up your coaching.

51. yup
    6:07 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

42. Its Carlton… duh

52. There is no god but Allah
    6:09 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

45.

Boomers? The kind that’ll take me to the mountains of the moon, or the kind that’ll take me to terrapin station?

53. GO U OF L
    6:09 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

GO CARDS BABY> WE DON’T CRY OVER INJURIES AND LOOK WHERE WE ARE> BIG EAST TITLE GAME> ENJOY YOUR MEASLY SEC WHILE WE GET TO THE FINAL FOUR

54. shockedanddismayed
    6:09 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

I wish this was one of the pictures that we are supposed to come up with possible captions. What is he thinking when he’s smiling like that?

55. The Real Hambone
    6:11 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

hey #50… kiss my a$$

56. The Real Hambone
    6:14 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Hey 53… I’ll bet you $1000 your weak-a$$ cards dont make it to the final four.

57. BravoBigBlue
    6:39 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

55 – are you a girl or just a girly boy?

58. Viren
    6:43 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Why are everyone pretending like Cats have no shot tomorrow. I mean seriously Lamb carried us twice offensively. He was bound to have a poor shooting night. Let’s hope our two other freshman’s Knight and Jones bring their offensive game and we should be okay. Now that all the UK fans who all of a sudden have a lot of confidence in our bench players. We’ll find out tomorrow how the game might have ended today if Cal had sat all of our starters. Here is something you all need to know not ALL 3 freshman’s have to score 20 plus points for us to win a game. It will be a tall task but with big blue fans behind them at the Georgia dome I hope we give Gators a great fight. Lamb and Liggins get well soon. Hood its time to step up and be a MAN.

59. barn
    6:49 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

-53-the only way you turds will get to the final 4 is on a greyhound bus

60. El Dude
    6:49 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

I don’t see how anyone can defend Cal on this. You are up 20, 5 minutes to go, and there is a game tomorrow. There was no reason for those guys to be out there period. Stupid, stupid coaching. I just don’t get it now and I haven’t understood it all year.

61. WhatHappensInVargasStaysInVargas
    6:50 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

You’re damned if you, damned if you don’t.

Cal is right — if he subbed in his bench and Alabama came back you’d be screaming for his head “why wouldn’t you close out the game?”

As for those saying Cal didn’t develop his bench, go back and look at the box scores on our conference games. He consistently plays Hood, and what about Vargas who gets decent bench minutes EVERY GAME and look how far that’s got him. Kyle Macy visited UK practices and told the press he sees why Poole isn’t getting any playing time.

Cal is doing the best he can with the hand he’s been dealt. With our crap SEC road record would you have wanted Poole and Polson getting heavy minutes in those games?

62. jrock280
    6:50 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Most you are idiots on here. It doesn’t matter if you win by 20 or 2. A win is a win. Put the frickin subs in!!!!!

63. Mike
    6:51 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

If our bench was able to be coached up this year then the players shouldn’t have been recruited. If they were brought in because of their talent then shame on the complete coaching staff for not coaching them up. Whichever it is we will soon be paying a price for this.

64. Blueburg
    6:54 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

44 what was I “wrong” about? I didn’t state an opinion on anything therefore who is being “foolish”? Who is this “you all” you are lumping me with? I just don’t appreciate someone coming on here calling my fellow Kentucky fans ” douchebags” for being concerned about our players. Don’t worry, The View will be back on soon….

65. RicksVD
    6:55 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

More impostor trolls. Much love for KSR.

66. Doron Lamb
    6:57 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

I’m from NY. I will play. I’ve been shot and stabbed and still played pickup basketball. Go Cats

67. RicksVD
    6:59 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Much love for Cal. How boring of a life must you live to come to a UK comment section a pretend to be a UK fan?

68. polsons underwear
    7:04 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

62 stop it. 2 plays a game isnt developing hood.

69. Jonny Mcfly
    7:09 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

I hate our nit picking fans……its never good enough…cal should do this. Or that…..we got a shot at good seed another sec title and getting some expirence for next years loaded class…and how about jorts today? Miller played great against the gators last week…he will be a key match up problem tom….let’s all just be positive and thankful

70. deer boss
    7:13 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

46….I guess you weren’t watching when he got it stripped in the corner.

You cat fans who have been clamoring for Hood all year…be careful for what you wish for.

71. Assistant Coach
    7:20 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

My complaint is that Coach Cal had a very good opportunity to play Hood in a game situation while resting a starter with no risk of losing the game.

8) My advise to you:

1. Eat a porkchop.
    2. Have a beer.
    3. Have intercourse(with a woman).
    4. Don`t comment.

72. wildcatdick
    7:22 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

dumb no reason for the starters to be in – – really dumb – my gosh –y????

73. tdr76
    7:23 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

We can still beat the gators but everyone else is going to have to bring it!!! Lets beat little billy and the gators, GO CATS!!!

74. Assistant Coach
    7:33 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

#8 Alla man, my advise to you:

1. Eat a porkchop.
    2. Have a beer.
    3. Have intercourse(with a woman not a young boy).
    4. Don`t comment.

75. bigbill992001
    7:34 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

B.S., Cal. You’re up 21 with less than 2 mins. to play, put Hood/Eloy in.

76. Not a Lawyer
    7:35 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Did Coach Cal really say “Subpoena”? Seems like a strange thing to force Anthony Grant to testify in court just because he lets off the pressure

77. njCat
    7:51 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

love Cal.. hate the decision to leave the starters in w/ 90 seconds to go and an 18 pt lead. no way ANY team comes back from that. ESPECIALLY after Liggons went down.. that was the shot across the bow, and Cal ignored it. He’s paid to win games and championships, and taking unnecessary risks w/ a short bench is a big mistake and will likely cost us tomorrow and next week.

78. Smack Talker
    7:52 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Just got a Tweet from Larry Vaught saying liggins and Lamb were injured in the game today. Anyone else hearing anything?

79. GO U OF L
    8:16 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Cats are a bunch of bitches. Louisville all the way. We don’t cry over injuries. And what a bunch of weak-ass comments in response to my earlier post. Rick Pitino is gettin snatch!

80. Catmando
    8:36 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

5-Couldn’t have said it better myself.

81. Rev Al Sharpton
    8:36 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

is that carlton helping Lamb off the court?

82. Catmandue
    8:37 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

5- Couldn’t have said it better myself.

83. CAL IS RIGHT
    8:42 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

You people are crazy… This is the first complete game we have played all season… Why lose momentum and let them run the lead down to nothing… Half our bench is not even comfortable dribbling the ball up the court, and Alabama was pressing until the last minute… THIS TEAM IS WHAT IT IS!!! We have No bench… We are in March and you idiots STILL can’t accept that.. We are playing 6 guys and we are in the championship game. STOP COMPLAINING!!!

84. Mattcat68
    8:51 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Did people forget that Bama came from 14 down in the last 5 minutes against Georgia to force overtime? Just imagine Polson, Hood and Poole being thrown into the middle of that Bama press. I would have left my ball handlers in too. Hell they only had 7 tos the entire game.

85. Ashley Judd
    9:15 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

REALLY? Are you UK fans or a bunch of cry babies? It happened so get over it. Calipari is the coach not any of us. Lamb doesn’t really have to play tomorrow because we locked the 4 seed up. When we win without Lamb tomorrow I guess I will let all of you back on the train. Quit with the panic. I guess if it happened at 6 minutes it would be ok? Come on man! This stuff happens. I want him to pull the guys during the game but looking back on it. Hood turned the ball over the instant he was subbed in.. Now imagine 4 players around that level out there. It would have gotten ugly then yall would be whining about something else.

86. bubba
    9:19 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Cal is trying to teach his starters to finish games. Something they just recently figured out how to do. Can’t you guys see that?

87. Sheeeeiiit
    10:28 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

I’m just going to keep reminding you u of l dummies. You know why Rick is coaching at u of l. Because we wouldnt hire his dumbass back. So you have sloppy seconds and we have moved on continuing to be the better school and team year after year. I don’t think I could handle having a coach that admits he wishes he didn’t leave my top rival. It’s just embarrassing.

88. Grow Up!
    10:38 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Those fans complaining about the non-substitutions are bunch of whiny ass pussies.

89. bung
    10:41 pm March 12, 2011 Permalink

Hoods good

90. mudcreekmark
    12:01 am March 13, 2011 Permalink

Their press cut about 11 points off the lead the last 3 minutes with the starters in there. Whot to say they wouldn’t have cut much more off the lead against our subs. Maybe even have beaten us.Cal wasn’t going to take that chance. Someone lost this weekend up by double figures with 42 seconds left.Can’t remember exactly who it was but it happened.

91. bubba
    12:11 am March 13, 2011 Permalink

Coach Cal is just trying to teach his starters how to finish a game. He seems to finally be getting through. I can’t believe so many of you don’t see that.

92. what
    12:20 am March 13, 2011 Permalink

Are we winners or whiners.

93. billy
    6:46 am March 13, 2011 Permalink

I love the way some people think they know how to coach better than Calipari after the fact. To all those people. GET A LIFE.

94. billy
    6:49 am March 13, 2011 Permalink

hEY #9 would you really want Hood, Polson, Poole and Vargus in the game with 3 minutes to go. Calipari has already seen what the subs can do. Enough said.