Coach Cal Notes and Quotes: Georgia 2.0

john-calipari-tale

Coach Cal took a break from his burgeoning bromance with Larry Brown today to talk about Georgia, where he stands on the potential new arena, what he did on his bye week and also, a lot of Larry Brown…

– When asked if he’d seen any improvement over the past couple weeks in regards to the team’s overall lack of toughness and the interior deficiencies that were so obvious in Athens, Cal said, “This is the team that really damaged us, so let’s see in that time frame if we got better. We’ll either say after the game, ‘Boy, we got better’ or we’re going to say, ‘We’re the same guys.’ It’ll be one of the two.” Here’s to the former and a dominant performance by KSR’s new favorite centaur.

– Cal also addressed the question of where he stands on Rupp renovation versus a totally new arena by saying that he expects Kentucky to be the “gold standard” in every aspect of college basketball and that includes the arena. Jim Gray, if you see this, read “gold standard” as brand new, fantastic and amazing basketball emporium.

– When Cal wasn’t hangin’ with Coach Brown or skirting around arena questions, he was enjoying his bye week in true Cal fashion. He went recruiting on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and they had practices Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. During practice he put the focus on our guys saying, “I’m working on my team. I’m not worried about any other team.”

– Even though he wasn’t worried about them, Cal did address the top Bulldog with very high praise for Trey Thompkins, “He’s a veteran…He puts himself in great positions to score… He’s a good player.” Cal also lauded his ability to hit outside shots, work the pick and roll and connect from the free throw line. Not to neglect our team, Cal noted Josh Harrellson’s deft hand at frog gigging.

– After he had the game prep pleasantries out of the way, Coach gushed about his new favorite man: Larry Brown. Even though Cal clarified that Larry was “here for me”, he gave the players the option to talk to Brown on their own and he said a few of them had done that. Hopefully, the topic was how to best steal money in the NBA. The Knicks and Bobcats can back me up on that one.

– Also when asked if Brown would be the Y during the Georgia game Cal said, “I don’t think so, he’s such a Carolina guy.” A shame.

That’s all I got, folks. We’ve had to wait a whole week but it’s almost game time. Let’s avoid that sweep.

Go Cats

Article written by Matthew Hays

13 Comments for Coach Cal Notes and Quotes: Georgia 2.0

1. UK Student n Fan
    4:12 pm January 28, 2011 Permalink

2. UK Student n Fan
    4:17 pm January 28, 2011 Permalink

After watching the Vargas dunk from the post the other day, I have been thinking… He has gotten twice the size he was then, and for some reason he wears a flak jacket now. Somebody tell me why someone who is not used to being in a bigger body would put the falk jacket on. Anyway I have a feeling that he is going to dominate sometime in the near future. Maybe not against UGA but, before the season is over the centaur will come out and dominate!

3. catfan
    4:19 pm January 28, 2011 Permalink

Maybe Coach Brown can not only inspire Cal but put some fire in some of the players as well. You have have to be able to learn something from someone who has so much experience in both the college game and the pro’s.

4. cdc_uky
    4:23 pm January 28, 2011 Permalink

jorts “deft hand at frog gigging” made me laugh out loud.

5. nybrasky
    4:40 pm January 28, 2011 Permalink

Jorts doesn’t go frog giggin, he goes noodlin! Ax Jimmy Dykes – he’s a man!

6. The Oval Office
    4:42 pm January 28, 2011 Permalink

2. I’m not saying you are wrong, i’m just saying I will believe it (and most certainly embrace it) IF and when I see it (the centaur). That’s being fair.

7. coach K
    4:45 pm January 28, 2011 Permalink

I SUCK. DUKE SUCKS!

8. swampbreath
    5:19 pm January 28, 2011 Permalink

any truth to the rumor jurich is trying to get matt kicked off louisville tv and radio?

9. Czech KY fan
    5:48 pm January 28, 2011 Permalink

+1 on the frog gigging note.

frog gigging ftw

10. mocha
    7:52 pm January 28, 2011 Permalink

Who is Matthew hays?

11. LindaS
    9:53 pm January 28, 2011 Permalink

Vote for Coach Cal. Winning coach/charity gets $100k. Vote everyday thru 3-11-11 Help Samaritan’s Feet in their remarkable efforts! The Infiniti Coaches’ Charity Challenge. Right now that coach from Floridip is winning, little slick quick ricks buddy, don’t let him win, show the Infiniti Coaches Charity that the BBN rules! We are gaining, keep voting. This morning when I checked Cal had 34% to floridips 42% As of 5:12 pm 1-28-11 Cal had 37% to 41%. That is a 3% increase in less then 9 hours. YES! YES! YES! Let’ keep voting and get this done. Cal has gotten 15% more votes since I started posting these things. Don’t let him down, remember to vote each day, post on your FB, Twitter and other pages you visit but not to botox mark and his band of merry men!
    Let’s show everyone how strong the BBN is and what really matters to us and Cal, helping other people. OOOOOO C-A-T-S! CATS! CATS! CATS! OOOOOO C-A-T-S! CATS! CATS! CATS! Thank you all! http://promo.espn.go.com/espn/contests/infiniti/2011/

12. ankit
    9:01 am January 29, 2011 Permalink

Do you think you can beat me?
    Do you think you can beat me in sports betting? It’s a free game with very nice prizes. This round it’s a free ticket to any Premier League soccer match of your choice. You can register here to beat me!
    http://www.wsob.com (type in URL http://www.wsob.com or write the webadress )
    Good luck!

13. coach cal
    1:53 pm January 29, 2011 Permalink

“Yeah…the dang thing is this long!”