Coach Cal: “I’m the originator of playing anytime, any place, and anywhere”

134446977

Calipari has been catching some heat lately after bringing up the possibility of dropping a series against Louisville, North Carolina, or Indiana. Adding two more conference games to Kentucky’s schedule could mean at least one of those have to go. It makes sense, but some can’t find the reasoning in not playing one of those three every year.

Today, Coach Cal went on the defensive in a series of tweets to his followers on the Internet:

coach-cal-tweet

“I’m the originator of playing anytime, any place, anywhere.”

Boom.

Cal says he just wants flexibility with the schedule to play more neutral site games. “Trust me, you won’t be disappointed,” he said.

He has spoken.

Article written by Drew Franklin

54 Comments for Coach Cal: “I’m the originator of playing anytime, any place, and anywhere”

1. MeB4U
    2:37 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

foist?

2. Zeller Dweller
    2:37 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Fine by me. That being said, season ticket holders probably won’t want to give up a home game vs UNC for a neutral site game against any opponent.

3. Sammydog
    2:38 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Cal is not AFRAID to play anybody. That is not what this is about.

4. Charlie Day
    2:40 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

people need to relax. if unc, iu, or loserville is dropped, the game won’t be replaced by austin peay. i have season tix, and i would rather have the opportunity playing another marquee game even if it is on a neutral site.

5. sunglassesbyday
    2:44 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

pretty sure Rupp was the originator of the phrase but whatever. Just win.

6. Eric K
    2:45 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Lets drop IU and Loserville, try to keep Carolina home an home and get into series of the same with, say Duke, texas, ohio st, any of those three should be better than IU,Loserville!! Whats everyone think?!? G O CATS!!!

7. RichieFarmer'sMustache
    2:45 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

If any of you have enough time to worry or even complain about this, GET A FREAKING LIFE!

8. kentuckyjoe
    2:45 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

In Cal We Trust

9. RidgeRunner
    2:46 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Love Coach Cal’s assertiveness. Even if I disagree with him which is rare, the man is in charge, this is the way it is, etc… & thats what I respect.

10. kentuckyjoe
    2:46 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

One Nation Under Cal.
    In Cal We Trust

11. kentuckyjoe
    2:46 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

One Blue Nation Under Cal.
    In Cal We Trust

12. Inside Your Mind
    2:48 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Drop IU or UL. Neither are on UK or UNC’s level.

13. U of L
    2:49 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Please don’t drop me. When we play you guys it’s the one week per year we are relevant nationally(minus the sex scandal thing of course).

14. kentuckyjoe
    2:49 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

sorry for those repeats.

15. UKEarp
    2:50 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Our fans are idiots. Here’s a great idea, let’s pile on the coach that saved our program from BCG and made us relevant again over dropping UNC from the schedule. Who cares! It’s the incessant nit-picking like this that will cause Cal to flee for a low-stress greener pasture in a couple years.

16. kentucky joe
    2:52 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

sorry for those repeats.

17. Craig
    2:53 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

I’d rather keep the UNC home and home than have a neutral site game.

18. Mack
    2:53 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Don’t like IU as far back as I can remember keep them or drop them which ever will hurt them the most, still hate bobby knight and those stupid candy cain pants. On the other hand could care less about loserville or unc.

19. RidgeRunner
    2:53 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

kyjoe…no apology needed. If anything should be repeated, that should. thumbs up!

15…yeah, the crap people nit pick on to the level of emailing, tweeting, etc…to our coach & staff…is unbeleivable. I hear ya.

20. Janet Jackson's Boob
    2:55 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

WE’RE BEHIND YOU, COACH CAL!

What #15 said, by the way.

21. Tobias Funke
    3:04 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Cue Afternoon Underdogs inevitable negative spin because they have nothing better to talk about than Cal/UK in 3….2….1

22. Chris
    3:04 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Drop IU. They suck.

23. RidgeRunner
    3:05 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Over on ESPN, a group of writers (7) were asked what would be the next upset? Three of them said this…[email protected]!

Gasaway: Court, prepare to be stormed: Indiana stuns Kentucky. Sure, the top-ranked Wildcats are the superior team. But the Hoosiers will be playing at home, the crowd has waited for a game like this for three years, and Tom Crean’s team will sink enough 3s to win a close one.

Leung: Indiana could very well surprise No. 1 Kentucky on Saturday. The Hoosiers are undefeated behind a strong start from freshman Cody Zeller and the crowd is sure to be a factor against the rival Wildcats.

Medcalf: Indiana over Kentucky. Tom Crean’s Hoosiers are due for a huge win. Assembly Hall will be buzzing like Times Square on New Year’s Eve for this matchup. That atmosphere will fuel an emerging IU’s upset over the Cats.

24. Sheriff Buford T. Justice
    3:06 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

15. I agree that the nitpicking is tiring, but Cal isn’t running to anywhere because of the pressure. He thrives in the pressure and limelight. If anything, maybe to an NBA job but only to a large franchise with star power.

25. Tyler
    3:07 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

I would rather see a Home and Home game than play another neutral site game. I don’t mind dropping any of the three and changing it up but not to add a neutral site game. Obviously Cal knows more about scheduling than me, just looking at it from the Lexington, KY fans perspective.

GO CATS!

26. Buford Pusser
    3:08 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

I wish we would play Xavier and UC every year, those would be good games.

27. BigBlueFan31
    3:09 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

23. This is the same network that picks Duke to beat Ohio State right? or Louisville last year to beat Kentucky at the Yum center?

28. Peyton
    3:10 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

I don’t care what good teams we play, but I do disagree with the “Anywhere” part! Screw neutral sites …. people pay big money for season tickets to get to see UNC, Louisville, IU, etc… at home every other year! Those games are exciting, as last Saturday showed! We play enough neutral sites as it is. Even Cal lamented last year during the Maui invitational they needed to add home games, which they did for this year’s tournament. In addition, why buy season tickets if all we get is Lamar, Radford, and some other weak non-conference games! I’ll save my money and watch at home. And while season ticket holders may get access to the neutral site games, those tickets also come with the added expense of over-night travel. BBN may travel well, but add too many neutral site games and you’ll have arenas that look like the Mohegan Sun did last month!

29. stevie
    3:11 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

I am satisfied with whatever decision they–especially Cal–make. He’s done more for our program over the past 21/2 years than we can ever imagine. He certainly has my admiration and trust. Thank you Cal.

30. Here ya go
    3:13 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Adolph Rupp was traveling the country playing all comers when other teams refused to leave their region.. Cal you didn’t invent.. UK basketball is still bigger than you. You might say players first, but Kentucky fans have been putting players first since 1921 when we won our first conference tourney title.

31. The Oval Office
    3:24 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

26 EXACTLY. As a NKY fan i’d love to plow UC every year and pile on them.

32. A rational fan
    3:25 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Cal is all about creating national exposure and that’s a good thing. But after the big time show in Lexington last weekend, I hate to lose one of those big names from coming to our house. The stars don’t flock to Kentucky to watch us whip up on the Radfords and Marists.

33. RealityCheck
    3:27 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Sounds like more spin from honest Cal. Is he wearing a fat suit on the sidelines?

34. CA UK FAN
    3:30 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Would you rather play Louisville every year even when they suck or play a team that matters and get the national notoriety that goes with it?

Whatever Cal does it’s guaranteed to be good for the program, that much I know.

35. UKEarp
    3:35 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

#30 if you are not smart enough to figure out that the “players first program” spiel is passive/agressive recruiting, then there is no hope for you. Why do people like you get so butt-hurt about the intricacies about what Cal says.

36. uk3k
    3:36 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

I’d rather play neutral site teams than play IU or louisville. lets focus on building a tournament ready team instaed of playing a bunch of old news rivalries.

in cal we trust!

37. Calipari'sInYourEar
    3:36 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

The UNC game this past week and the UNC game with Wall & Boogie might have been the 2 best UK games I’ve seen in Rupp in 10 years.

Take that away and I’ll shit on your porch. #Serious

38. TheTruth
    3:39 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Cal has been acting a little off lately. I think he is losing his mind.

39. UofLFan
    3:49 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

I’m starting to like coach Cow. He hates all you hicks. It pretty obvious he hates every single one of you. I bet he hates having to listen to all those people with thick accents on his call in show.

40. Wildcatfan
    4:06 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

If they add two more SEC games to the schedule then it is pretty obvious that the OOC schedule cannot remain the same. We should not give up home games. The fans deserve the home games. The games like looserville, unc and iu are the only ones that can be manipulated. I know some people will disagree, but the fact is that if we have to add 2 more sec games, one of those will be on the road. That means in the years we play unc, ul, or iu at their place, we lose a ton of money. That just does not make good business sense. Something has to change and dropping one, if not two of those games is the only logical choice. I vote for keeping UNC and dropping the other two. Don’t forget that UNC may have exactly the same problem.

41. Kelly
    4:07 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

1st off UofL Fan…grow up…if you are going to try and get UK fans pissed at you…at least come up with something of substance and original.

2nd…I think what UK fans need to realize is that the landscape of college basketball is changing. It looks like all teams will be playing more conference games in the future. That means fewer non conference games to go around on the schedule. You can only play so many regular season games. No one really gets fired up to see UK play a weak team but UK needs those tune up games to prepare for better competition. Without those games then you would have a team not as prepared to face the challenges that are further down the road.

I think the problem is that usually with the UNC, UL and IU games is that they are locked into home and home games. So the contract is for at least 2 or more years. Now you are locked into those game and your conference games. Neutral site games can be added the schedule on a year to year basis. It allows Cal more creativity to examine his team and create an early schedule that will benefit his team. He isn’t going to start playing a bunch of cream puffs all the time…he just wants flexibility in his scheduling.

I hate to see any of those three game to go off the schedule but I think we all need to have a little faith in Coach Cal.

42. Bradclay
    4:07 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

I am a huge UK fan first and foremost, but why belittle Uof L all the time? They ARE ranked in the top 5. It seems a bit generous, but they do have some quality players. Siva is a weapon.

43. Eddie C
    4:15 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

wow. there are going to be a lot of pissed off crackers when cal splits and uk goes on probation. no iu, no unc, no louisville, no good teams on the schedule. no sense either. you guys will be better off getting a bunch of multi directional schools into reused arena to beat on. that will be worth the cost of tickets.

44. aaron
    4:19 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Cal invented Orange Leaf yogurt
    Cal can call it players first all he wants I was very happy with Saturdays win. What is good for them is good for me.
    #JoeBHallfirst

45. Nassau65
    4:26 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

42- maybe because we see UL fans on here daily, talkin smack. Siva is a weapon, but-one player does not constitute a team or a number 5 ranking. I can’t wait till new year’s eve to put them in their place, yet once again.

46. Nassau65
    4:29 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

42. see, there’s one now (43) another asshat with no place to go, using his mom’s computer in the back bedroom of her double wide.

47. Perry
    4:42 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Celts and the Lakers would be fine with me drop the Losers, I mean Hoosiers!

48. kyrgaines
    5:03 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Well, first and foremost, I love what Cal brings to UK and appreciate each and everything he has done to make UK what it was intended to be…. at the top! With that said, I didn’t care for some of what he said the other night. I don’t care if we drop any of those teams…. he can do whatever he wants, that’s his business, however, this program is NOT all about the players alone. The fans also are part of what has made this program what it is. We accomodate each other. No, we aren’t throwing down slams and are not at the practices… that isn’t our job. We are fans that support the program and spend alot of our money doing so. We pay for our tickets and pay for everything else that keeps this program successful. He generally acknowledges that, it’s just the other night it sounded like he got alittle defensive and some strong sentiments/resentments came flying out.

49. JMan
    5:10 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

The only ones that seem to be getting so bent out of shape about this are UofLol fans

50. Travis
    5:20 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Cal promoting a players first program is what brings in the talent and quality of kids that he is bringing in. I have no problem with what he has said on any level.

51. tb4uk
    8:16 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

cal is part coach,part used car salesman,part politician – sometimes he just needs to be the coach and stop talking – you don’t want to tick off BBN GO BIG BLUE

52. Ira Tatum
    8:18 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

Can we drop IU one year and play UofL and UNC.
    The following year, drop UofL for 1 year and play IU and UNC. The next year, drop UNC, play UofL and IU.
    Repeat.
    That way we keep IU, UofL, and UNC and play them twice every 3 years.

53. We R UK
    9:01 pm December 7, 2011 Permalink

As a season ticket holder, I am not concerned about the possibility of taking away home and home game. I just wish we would drop Louisville because all we are doing is helping them promote their program. I would rather play a more relevant program that would benefit Kentucky nationally.

54. bluegrass
    8:15 am December 8, 2011 Permalink

Drop IU. Those country bumpkins aren’t worth our time.