Here’s some news that won’t surprise you: John Calipari has more Twitter followers than any other college basketball coach. The Sporting News recently ranked the 83 college coaches on Twitter, and Cal comes out on top due not only to his follower count, but his great “Twitter style”:
1. John Calipari (@UKCoachCalipari), Kentucky
Like many of his current players, Calipari’s twitter feed is 5-star caliber. The leader of the #BBN uses his 140 characters to promote the program, stay close with former players, interact with passionate supporters and give fans a glimpse into his hectic life. He’s funny, he’s witty, and he’s brutally honest. What makes Calipari so great on Twitter, similar to what makes him so great as a person, is that he doesn’t pull any punches. With over 1.2 million followers, Calipari has more followers than all other BCS conference coaches combined.
Here’s the rest of The Sporting News’ top ten:
2. Chris Mack (@CoachChrisMack), Xavier
3. Tim Miles (@CoachMiles), Nebraska
4. Tom Crean (@TomCrean), Indiana (Sadly, no mention of the “I’ve been thinking about you a lot, a whole lot” tweet)
5. Frank Martin (@FrankMartin_SC), South Carolina
6. Greg McDermott (@CUCoachMac), Creighton
7. Mark Gottfried (@Mark_Gottfried), North Carolina State
8. Rick Ray (@RickRay1), Mississippi State
9. Sean Miller (@UACoachMiller), Arizona
10. Mick Cronin (@CoachCroninUC), Cincinnati
Cal’s “best tweet”? The one he sent out congratulating Louisville on their National Championship this past season. Why was that the best? It had 1,399 retweets, 476 favorites, and 678,000 impressions.
I’m shocked it wasn’t the pooping ice cream tweet.