Coach Cal has a question for Dick Vitale

In Dick Vitale’s “Time for transfer rules” article on ESPN.com, he writes about conversation he had with Coach Cal a few days ago. According to Vitale, Calipari wants to know why the media is ranking his team in the top three for next season:

On another subject, I spoke to Kentucky coach John Calipari the other day. He asked me a simple question: how can people like you pick us in the top three in America for next season? Calipari reminded me that 97 percent of his scoring is gone from the championship team. As I told him, the name on the sidelines in Lexington is Calipari.

That means there is motivation and inspiration. It also means as great recruiting class as Big Blue Nation will be happy as Kentucky is back in the hunt. The Wildcats will have a dynamite group of newcomers at Rupp Arena. There will be excitement galore once again.

My response would be:

(1) The talent is down across the board next year in college basketball compared to last season.

(2) UK’s recruiting class is very solid and you never doubt Cal’s ability to develop young talent.

(3) Nerlens Noel blocked everyone else.

Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

13 Comments for Coach Cal has a question for Dick Vitale

1. Kemp's Pawn & Lube
    5:33 pm May 2, 2012 Permalink

Sounds good to me. Go Cats!

2. Kemp's Pawn & Lube
    5:33 pm May 2, 2012 Permalink

Oh, and…FIRST.

3. Chicago Chris
    5:40 pm May 2, 2012 Permalink

That really does say alot. Kentucky + Cal + (players to be filled in here) = top 5

As someone pointed out. UCLA + Howland + Top (?) recruiting class = Top 15? 25?

4. nassau65
    5:45 pm May 2, 2012 Permalink

Dickie gets Cal. Cal, in turn, gets IT.

5. tdogg40330
    5:50 pm May 2, 2012 Permalink

Whats wrong with Vitale? top 3? We’ll be the best team in NCAA by far …

6. REAL BLY
    5:54 pm May 2, 2012 Permalink

Because we’ll get Bennett……

7. Smyrna_Cat
    5:54 pm May 2, 2012 Permalink

Only at UK can you lose your entire team and still be ranked Top 5. UNC is the only other team that gets close.

Saying that, 3 is WAY too high. I would prefer to start off around 10 or 11 or work our way up.

But overall, talent is down across the country. There will be some surprise teams, though, that will be good.

8. Han
    6:09 pm May 2, 2012 Permalink

Cal is just annoyed that he 1) Has to keep his freshmen’s heads from getting too big, 2) Will get more criticism than deserved when we lose a few, and 3) He won’t get much credit for coaching them because we’re top 5. We’re supposed to be good so he’s not a great coach when we turn out to be good.

Fact is we’re this good because he’s a great recruiter and good coach. And odds are we’ll see an example of how good he is with young talent when we see how little Howland gets out of his next year.

9. NoelGallagher
    6:33 pm May 2, 2012 Permalink

Some media are probably ranking UK so high to set-up future stories on how Cal can’t coach. He just throws the ball out there, can only win it when he has Anthony Davis, if by chance they don’t have a great season.

10. bluefan
    6:40 pm May 2, 2012 Permalink

The future is indeed bright with Nerlens, Alex P., Archie, and Stein-Cauley. Reading their tweets, these kids have the most awesome attitudes ever and are already building relationships. I expect Ryan to be awesome since it never seemed that Coach was in a serious hunt for a pg. We KNOW we’ve got the shooter in Kyle. Definitely have the best coach!
    We get Bennett, I’ll be shocked not to hang #9.
    Go New Cats!!!

11. cherith cutestory
    8:23 pm May 2, 2012 Permalink

he is right…we should be ranked higher.

12. Han
    9:01 pm May 2, 2012 Permalink

Honestly, I’m just really excited to see a starting point guard with experience in Cal’s system. It’ll be the first time in years.

13. Mudcreekmark
    9:08 pm May 2, 2012 Permalink

Well I think this just shows how much respect Dickie V has for Coach Cal’s coaching ability, plain and simple. If another team lost what we lost, no way they he would rate them in the top 10. I don’t care what kind or recruits they brought in. Finally Coach Cal is getting the respect he deserves.