CNNSI kisses Urban Meyer on the mouth

I am not sure why a major sports website is doing a 4-part video piece on a coach who retired 8 months ago, but nonetheless CNNSI released a story on Urban Meyer today that I watched through.  Above, you see the major piece they played, which went through the basic thought process of Meyer during his two different exits from Florida.  And while I think 95% of people think Meyer will head back to college football sometime in the future, like Ohio State in 2012, after you watch this piece, you have to come to this conclusion:

Both his wife and daughter cry during this story about how Meyer became a different person during the season, a person that they didn’t like.  The daughter sobs when talking about how overjoyed she was when he retired the first time.  The wife recalls the night Urban woke up with chest pains, thinking he was dying.  He talks about the amazing vacations he took during his time off, and wanting to see them grow up, and thinking he was not doing his duty as a father when he was a coach.

OK, that is all fine and good and noble.  And as long as Meyer stays out of coaching, then I will buy into the idea that he puts out of what a great family man he is.  But after having a serious health complication, and seeing the emotion from his family about how they didn’t enjoy him when he was a coach, a reasonable person who has made millions of dollars, would stay out of that profession.  If Meyer chooses to come back, especially before his youngest son (11 years old) is an adult, we can rest assured that Meyer’s priorities go like this:

1) Football
2) Family

Look, being a college football coach at a big time program is a stressful and time-consuming task.  There is not a coach in the country that gets to spend enough time with their kids and wife as they would like.  But, that is part of the gig.  What annoys me is the back and forth Meyer plays, when he leaves because of “family and health reasons” but returns shortly thereafter, as if the health is cleared up and the family wouldn’t care.  I give him 1 pass for the 2009 resignation, but after watching that story, I won’t give him a second.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

11 Comments for CNNSI kisses Urban Meyer on the mouth

1. Tom
    5:13 pm August 9, 2011 Permalink

if I had millions and a reputation that could land me gigs on national tv for some extra cash i would retire early too.

2. Anthony Davis Has A Posse
    5:13 pm August 9, 2011 Permalink

I completely agree from the outside looking in, but it is impossible to know what is going on %100 on the inside of the situation. Really, his motivations are not for us to judge. I get that he lays it all out there being a public figure, but I wouldn’t doubt a man’s dedication to his family if I didn’t know the whole story, and we really don’t because we aren’t in his family.

BTI Still Sucks.

3. Wes Mantooth
    5:26 pm August 9, 2011 Permalink

Dorthy Mantooth doesn’t hold a candle to Urban Meyer. That man is a saint among saints. (Read Tim Tebow) FOR SHAME INTERN.

On a serious note, I would have to agree with BTI on this one. If he were to return, it would look like a guy looking to take a 2 year long vacation in the middle of his career and come back expecting the same money doing the same work. The only people who can get away with this are big time coaches and possibly politicians.

4. Dave in Kabul
    5:35 pm August 9, 2011 Permalink

That’s bullsh*t! A decision made a year ago does not mean that he’s lying now. You’ve never quit a job or stopped doing something and later changed your mind.

I stopped working in Afghanistan 18 Months ago. I said; “I’ll never go back.”

Well, I’m back. Did I lie to everyone or did circumstances simply freakin’ change.

5. KYsportsjunkie
    5:46 pm August 9, 2011 Permalink

Hmmmmm . . . I’d LOVE to get Matt’s opinion on priorities – work,love vs work and fame . . .

6. BravoBigBlue
    6:25 pm August 9, 2011 Permalink

My priorities are clear and are not subject to change: Sports, Sex, Food. Urban Meyer is the college version of Dick Vermeil. Sniff, sniff.

7. TT
    6:54 pm August 9, 2011 Permalink

why is Urban Meyer on KSR and why do I really care? “IF URBAN MEYER COMES BACK, HE TRULY IS NOT A FAMILY MAN AND LIED STRAIGHT TO THEIR FACES.” lol, I didnt realize BTI was a member of the family that cares so much. This is straight up dumb

8. UKGoBigBlue
    6:55 pm August 9, 2011 Permalink

Urban is a real man; a man who doesn’t spend time with his family can never be a real man. Quote from the Godfather, try arguing with that quote.

Everyone can talk smack & voice their opinion; until you’ve walked in his or any other coach shoes under that kind of pressure & stress than shut up. I can only imagine the stress & pressure Cal has to be under. Big up’s to Cal family for sharing him with the BBN.

Yea these coaches make a lot of money (which stupid people thinks doesn’t allow someone with money to complain), but as Biggee said: more money more problems.

9. kymover
    7:04 pm August 9, 2011 Permalink

So if he wanted to coach at UK would that be ok.

10. dontgoanywhere
    3:25 am August 10, 2011 Permalink

daughter is hot

11. sports fan
    12:50 pm August 10, 2011 Permalink

Listen matt jones, how did you even get into this business… Uk couldnt dream of one of The Gators football seasons. Not going to happen… I mean cmon how- probably going down as one of the Best football coaches(Meyer) and Football players(Tebow) in NCAA history.