Closing the Book On Arkansas-Little Rock

anthony-davis-freedom-hall2Photo by KyForward.com

The Kentucky basketball team traveled to Freedom Hall to face Arkansas-Little Rock Tuesday night and played a pair of halves so drastically different, you would have thought Steve Brown was calling the shots.  Below are some thoughts on the game.  They are mine.  Feel free to disagree or tell me that I’m really, really smart.  Or just do the second one anyway.

A few thoughts…..

(1)  First of all, let’s all throw confetti, pop open an NCAA approved beverage and salute Mason County’s own Darius Miller for finding his way into the 1,000 Point Club.  Darius hit a three with exactly eleven minutes left in the game to become the 58th member of the group.  Miller finished with 15 points off the bench and his bucket to join the prestigious club was fitting of his season as the bucket helped a Kentucky team that was struggling offensively to put together a run and put the Trojans away. Key bucket when the team needs points?  #ThatsSoDarius

(2)   The Cats struggled in the first half with Arkansas-Little Rock for a variety of reasons (we’ll talk about them all, which will probably make this sound entirely more negative than I intend it to be), but an interesting question was raised on the postgame show.  A caller asked if maybe this team doesn’t have the extra gear needed to stomp on a team’s throat when you have them down by 8-10 points.  I don’t know if I’m ready to make that jump yet, but I do think it’s fair to wonder if this team is a little too nice.  I’m a big believer in the idea that all great teams have someone nasty.  That doesn’t always mean physical or bruising, but just fearless and aggressive.  The 2009-10 team had plenty of those guys.  Last season, the Cats turned it on when DeAndre Liggins found his defensive swagger and Brandon Knight took the reigns as cut-throat finisher.  This year’s Kentucky team has loads of talent and one fearless motor in Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.  But I think it’s fair to ask if the upperclassmen have that extra gear- or enough of one to rub off on the younger guys.  In games like this, they don’t need that.  To be honest, in the SEC they’re probably not going to need it more than maybe once, twice at the most.  But somewhere down the line it might come down to simply being just nastier than the other team and taking the game from them.  They have a tremendous cushion because of their talent, but it wouldn’t hurt to find at least one more guy ready to bring a killer instinct.

(3) When you’re coach says after the game that your team was better when you weren’t in the game, that’s generally not a good thing.  When it’s not the first time he’s said it, that might be the sign of a problem.  For what seems like the one millionth time this season, John Calipari spent a portion of his postgame press conference addressing the play of point guard Marquis Teague, which was again less than desirable.  He finished with six points (on 2-7 shooting) and dished out five assists to his two turnovers, but again failed to impact the game positively on either side of the court.

For me, the most frustrating thing about Teague is that he’s clearly talented on an elite level, but the mistakes he makes are on a middle school level.  The best way for me to analogize it is to compare him to my son.  My son is a fairly intelligent kid or, at the very least, certainly more than capable of getting good grades.  Except n0w he’s started middle school and, all of a sudden, the straight A’s have been replaced by C’s.  Am I pissed about the C’s?  Yes.  But you know what’s really frustrating about it?  His dumb ass just isn’t turning in his homework.  When he tries, he’s still getting A’s, but for some reason, Ole Numbnuts over there hasn’t been able to translate the basics like simply doing the assignments or turning in the work when he does.  I’d be extremely sympathetic if he was just simply too dumb to get good grades.  But I have no patience for standing in his own way with boneheaded carelessness.  If that makes sense.

To me, it’s the same thing with Teague.  Teague doesn’t suffer from a lack of talent or a crippling weakness that’s been exposed at the college level.  If he sucked, we all would say he just sucks and hope that the Cats could make do in March.  But he’s really, really good.  He’s just his own worst enemy and he makes mistakes that JV coaches hope are worked out by Christmas break.  He jumps in the air to make a pass.  He breaks off of a play.  Tonight, he put together an awful stretch that started with a loose ball on offense and resulted in two layups for the Trojans.  An offensive rebound was tipped out to the top of the key where Teague was standing and instead of pursuing the ball and either getting it or committing a foul and stopping the break, he executed some sort of prance to avoid contact.  I’d rather insult a guy’s mother than accuse him of prancing, but that’s exactly what it appeared to be.  A prance.  It led to a fastbreak layup and then Teague compounded it by not running toward the pass against the press.  What resulted was another steal and another layup.  For Kentucky to become an elite team, Teague’s going to have to start playing smarter.  And on an unrelated note, I’m also accepting parenting tips.

(4)  One side note:  I was listening to Vanetti’s radio show for a bit today and I heard his co-host compare UK’s point guards to Van Halen’s lead singers.  John Wall was David Lee Roth, Brandon Knight was Sammy Hagar and Marquis Teague is Gary Cherone.  It’s a fairly amusing analogy, as long as you put aside the fact that Van Halen completely sucks all the way around.

(5)  One of the most painful aspects of the first half was the complete lack of offense from the Cats.  I don’t know if it was Marquis Teague’s fault or if it was by design to go all helter-skelter on the Trojans, but there were big guys bringing the ball up in situations that weren’t even close to fast breaks and far too many one-on-ones early in the shot clock.  For all of the mismatches this team can present, it’s clearly a more lethal group when they’re running the dribble-drive and creating for each other.  Doron Lamb is the only guy I’d call a true scorer in terms of being able to pour it on for long periods of time and I thought that despite only scoring nine points, he did a good job of creating scoring opportunities off the dribble.  He shied away from it a bit in the Louisville game, especially after he got called for the charge on the floater, but he seemed to be back in attack mode tonight.  There were a couple of instances where I thought he should have been shooting free throws and playing aggressively like that will ultimately pay off.  But as a whole, the team needs to create for each other and they did a much better job of that in the second half.

(6)  Another area where the Cats looked completely different in the two halves was on the boards.  Kentucky dominated the final total 47 to 19, but they allowed the Trojans to grab ten offensive boards in the first half.  The reason they seemed to get more looks was because Kentucky continued a bad habit they’ve displayed for much of the season, but rarely had to pay a price for.  Because they are so long and they are so athletic, the Cats have a tendency to run directly for the rim everytime a shot goes up instead of finding a man and putting a body on him.  It’s not out of the ordinary for freshmen to be making those mistakes, but against Little Rock, guys like Darius Miller found themselves drifting towards the rim and getting beat for a board.  There aren’t more than two or three teams in the entire country that are long enough to make Kentucky pay for that type of mistake, but at some point they could see one of those teams and they’ll need to adjust.  Again, it’s just nitpicking, but that’s why I get paid the big bucks.

(7)  Just three days after Michael Kidd-Gilchrist had a lot of fun with Louisville, MKG struggled to make the same sort of impact against the Trojans.  The freshman forward finished with a near double-double of nine points and ten rebounds, which is a testament to his constant motor, but committed a career-high six turnovers and his single-digit point total was his first since the St. John’s game December 1.  Having two games so drastically different back-to-back isn’t something you expect out of your veteran players.  Wait, what?  He’s a freshman still?  Oh, nevermind.  Move along.  Nothing to see here.

(8)  On Kidd-Gilchrist heading to the locker room early with an injury, Calipari had this to say…

“I don’t know if it is a pulled muscle or what in his chest area. It was last game that it happened but we are going to get him checked up and he didn’t feel right at halftime. I told them to give him some medicine to see if they could loosen it up. We will check on him tomorrow, but I think he will be fine.”

(9)  I’ve always enjoyed seeing Kentucky games at Freedom Hall and despite not filling the building (15,000 is certainly nothing to be ashamed of), it seemed to be a pretty cool environment.  Matt said it smelled like your grandmother’s house, which means the air was either filled with the smell of sugar cookies and happiness or bourbon and neglect (I have two very different families), but the atmosphere seemed fun.  However, as Calipari hinted earlier in the week, it doesn’t seem like these cupcake games in Louisville will continue for very long.  Between the desire for scheduling flexibility and the desire for another home cupcake game when the expanded SEC play comes along, I’d assume that if we’re going to see the Cats in Louisville in the future, it’s going to be every-other-year against Indiana.  Just a guess at this point, but I’ll be around on Twitter to tell you “I told you so” if it happens.

(10) I love Kyle Wiltjer.  I really, really do.  But he’s a MAJOR defensive liability at this point.  During the Little Rock run in the first half, Wiltjer got caught on a screen and beat for a three, failed to bump any of the cutters coming across the lane to the block and he didn’t seal the baseline under the basket, allowing a guy to drive around him and kick out for a three.  Even worse, when the Trojans pushed the ball, Wiltjer ran with his back to the ball and the Little Rock guard used him to basically screen another UK player and hit a three in transition.  He’s still very young, of course, but if he’s going to play significant minutes late in the year and give UK an added scorer on the floor, he’ll have to improve on the defensive end of the floor.

(11)  22 points, 16 rebound and 3 blocks.  Anthony Davis is a freak and I mean that in the most complimentary way.

(12)   By the way, UK won.  That’s good.  Let’s not get caught up in the negative (says the guy that just wrote all that nonsense).  It was Arkansas-Little Rock and that’s all you can really say about that.  Bring on the SEC!

Article written by Thomas Beisner

97 Comments for Closing the Book On Arkansas-Little Rock

1. dave
    12:04 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

hey beez, i hope your kid is too dumb to read that you called him a “dumb*ss,” “numb nuts” & “stupid” all in one paragraph.

2. Beez's kid
    12:06 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

I am not a numbnuts, dumbass or anyting else…. I am your son…

3. David Lee Roth
    12:07 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

I was the best front man Van Halen ever had! Van Halen was a great band that imploded due to egos and substance abuses….. a tragic waste of great talent!

4. communistbasketball
    12:13 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Is it football season yet?

5. Thomas Beisner
    12:14 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

1, I’m pretty sure he’s one of the people that always leave comments telling me I suck

2, Let’s not forget that he also ran out of toilet paper and substituted my favorite UK shirt

6. catfan38
    12:15 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Coach Cal needs to let the players take the shot thats given them, instead of forcing everything under the basket where all the defense is planted. Just saying!!!

7. lcsd479
    12:18 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

One of your best posts, Beisner. Your analogy had me laughing hard.

8. R U FO REALZ?
    12:21 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

original Van Halen rules. come on Beisner, show a little sack.

9. Cking98
    12:24 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

As I stated earlier, I am worried about this team, and about who will take the clutch shot, on the last possession to win a game when it counts. We have not been put in that position yet. My nightmare is that Teague will be a dummy and try to take the last shot and choke.

If we are going to get #8 we need somebody to develop into a clutch shooter. Sadly outside of Lamb, I don’t see one on this team. Why? Cause Teague will have the ball, and he has to pass it and defer. Not exactly his strong suit.

What do you think?

We haven’t been put in that position all season.
    It’s coming.

10. PedoCat
    12:34 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Ill do your son…
    …’s homework.
    (just kidding)

11. WeissHai
    12:40 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Van Halen “sucks all the way around?” That’s beyond idiotic, but I suppose I have to consider the source. I’m sure that you and most of your cohorts here are more impressed by listening to some halfwit rapper recite bad poetry over sampled tracks and call it “music.”

12. David Elswick
    12:41 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

8 – Exactly! Blasphemy Beisner! Van Halen…1984…ROCK AND ROLL!!

13. Davis Armpit
    12:41 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Loved the fact Cal let the players sign autographs for 30 minutes. I got my son Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, Wloy, T Jones, and Miller’s autographs on a hat.

14. Thomas Beisner
    12:46 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

11, Dad????

15. Hartline
    12:48 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Everyone needs to chill the f*** out. 2 things. 1. This time last year we were about to lose a ton of SEC games and freak out about how poorly that team was playing. 2. Billy Gillespie could be our basketball coach. Come on now, give it time before everyone starts worrying. We want to be hitting out stride at the right time. We all know they should be playing better and they will. Trust in Coach Cal. Give it time.

16. NineSec95
    12:59 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

15 I aqree that it’s still early and all but this team has been playing together now for 3 months. I’m confused on who will take the last shot if the game is on the line and Teague had better get better quick. Who is the leader on the floor? Teague just beats the leather off the ball or takes a 3 when he should be driving the ball to the basket like he did in the second half of IU game. Go Big Blue..

17. Kevo
    1:02 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

8) Come on man, spelling your name with a z doesn’t help anyone…

18. Kevo
    1:03 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

8. Come on man, spelling your name with a z doesn’t help anyone…

19. Tomas
    1:04 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

16. You all need to calm down. I seem to remember certain negative nancy’s talking about how we would lose in the First Round last year. We will be ok. As far who is taking the last shot, Lamb or Miller no question. I don’t know why the one guy is freaking out about it. Teague won’t have to defer because Lamb or Miller is going to have the ball in their hands. Stop inciting panic just because you are to stupid to figure it out.

20. NotBogus
    1:04 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Marquis Teague is a freaking beast and all UK fans know it. Derek Miller can shoot the lights out. These players are amazing.. Bring on the NBA !! Go Cats!!

21. Ian
    1:09 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

If Teague is a 5 star player, then I’m an All-American. That kid couldn’t play dead in a western!

22. Sean
    1:11 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

This was a good post. Not Evan Hilbert good, but good none the less.

23. Old school
    1:15 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

You need to climb down off of Van Halen ther junior….

24. Cking98
    1:33 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

19- really Tomass. I am not inciting panic, I am stating facts. Are you too stupid to see that?
    Miller? Really? Not banking on him to win the game on a clutch shot. Lamb is up and Down.

Last year, we struggled on the road, but out of those struggles Knight (Ohio State, Princeton),
    And Liggins (North Carolina) we obtained clutch shooters, and with out those three shots we don’t get past the second round last year.

You say Lamb or Miller no Question? Your assumption predicates that they will get the ball from Teague. We have not had to win a game on a last second shot. We are going to have to if we are going to get #8. All I’m saying is that I don’t feel good about floor leadership going towards the tournament.

25. BlueFan
    1:48 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Teague is Charlie Brown, he has a black cloud hanging over his head
    You have to feel sorry for the guy

26. LiveAction
    1:54 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

We can make comparisons between Wall, Knight, and Teague all day that indicate Wall and Knight hadn’t really “matured” at this point in their career either. The difference is, neither Wall or Knight would have answered their coach with “because I didn’t want to” when asked why they didn’t execute a drawn up play. Teague either has a little attitude problem, or has the biggest stubborn streak thats been through here since Morris. Hopefully Cal will figure out a way to enlighten him in the next few weeks, because right now he’s the biggest liability we have offensively.

#10 Fail.

27. SagaciousMind
    2:02 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

First off Beisner, Van Halen does not suck. Second, I totally agree with you on everything else. Teague drives me nuts!! I think we were spoiled by Knight last year cuz he could hit jumpers, I cringe when Teague shoots. He kills me driving to the basket when nothing is there, pass the ball! He just seems to be playing selfish ball and that was not a problem with Knight or Wall. Was glad to see Darius find his shooting touch in the 2nd half though. He is someone I can see hitting big shots.

28. Culver
    2:26 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Miller should be starting over Lamb/Jones/Teague. I have lost A LOT of respect for Calipari for the way he has handled the starting rotation this season. Miller has busted his ass for 4 yrs, and is as talented, at this point, as Lamb/Jones/Teague. Calipari just knows he/Miller doesn’t have the inflated egos as those 3…reason he benched him. Total bullsh*t!!!

29. JBR
    2:52 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

I agree with the Teague assessment…the kid just is not very smart. I also agree with some of the criticism of Jones…but why do fans give Miller a break. He is the softest, biggest wuss ever to put on a UK uniform. He has tons of ability…NBA lottery ability, but the heart of little girl. He has so far wasted a ton of potential…and yeah, I know, 1000 points, blah, blah…but it is relative. He has unbelievable ability, all american ability, but no desire. That is just unacceptable. He gives us about what a Cameron Mills (little white boy) gave us…he hits open 3’s. The soft play is on CAL. A good coach corrects this…and Matt Jones was correct, we are a different team with Lamb at the point. It is time to send a message to Teague and bench his a*s.

30. Musehobo
    2:52 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

According to ESPN’s app, Miller started over Teague. I didn’t watch it so I don’t know.

31. Sheeeeeiiit
    3:02 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Beisner, glad to read a post from you. It’s been a while.
    28-I don’t act like I understand any coach but I agree with you 100%. DM should be starting. He has earned it regardless of his up and down play. He needs it too for his possible future in the NBA. Sucks Cal is justifying this BS. I don’t get it.
    The rest of it is all whining from fairweather fans. Teague this Jones that, bitch, bitch, bitch. Whatever, we are winning. So I’m not to worried. These guys will be ready in March. They step up for the big games.

32. Captain Hook
    3:17 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Teague sucks….. Geez.. He sucks my birdie

33. Ap
    3:26 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

According to the announcers, MKG had to take a dump.

34. SagaciousMind
    3:36 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

I agree that if Teague doesnt get it soon, he needs to sit the bench. The offense flows better. Also agree Miller should be starting. Someone once said it was probably so he plays hard when he is in the game instead of disappearing. But I disagree that he is soft. He has no issue slashing to the basket and finding wide open players. He hits the glass and hustles after loose balls. Not to mention he plays good defense. Cal needs to start building his line up based on those who deserve it, not just cuz they are your only pure pg or bc they were projected to be an All-American. At this rate, Teague and Jones both will be back at UK. I dont see Teague goin anywhere anyway.

35. CommonSense
    4:09 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

The Cats barely lost to the spread again. This time, it was Teague that coughed up a lazy turnover when all we had to do was run out the clock to keep the Vegas style win in hand. He literally gave UALR the ball which led to an easy layup to crush the UK money. Call me crazy, really, call me crazy, but this is getting waaaay too fishy that we are always just a point or two short in these covers.

36. Chuck Culpepper
    4:37 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Good writing is fun to read.

37. Jimmy Swordfish
    4:52 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

I agree. Teague can be an idiot. Your son can be an idiot. But… If you ever talk about Van Halen like that again, we’re going to have a serious problem. Go ahead and jump. Go Cats.

38. DLR Kicks Beez's Ass
    4:59 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

You obviously have no taste in music. Discredits your whole post. Free BTI

39. BigPerm
    5:25 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Cal has made almost all the right recruiting decisions while here. But, in my opinion, he only took Teague to take him from Pitino. The reality is he should have taken Wroten. Tony Wroten is way better than Teague. As it stands now, Teague is the main reason this is not a final four team.

40. WildcatFan
    5:33 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

I have never understood why UK wastes a game each year playing in louisville. That game should be played on the home court in Rupp Arena. Louisville gets a game every other year when UK plays ul and that should be enough. Each game should be treated as a precious treasure and played at home. We need to put the pressure on every team we play and it is painfully obvious that the crowd in louisville will never be sufficient to adequately support the Cats. Bring this game back to RUPP.

41. Sherlock John Holmes
    5:35 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Sorry, I’m still having a rough time getting over the Van Halen comment.

42. Davishammersithome
    5:44 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Just saw where da Tards picked up a commit from a 4 star LB. He had offer from almost every SEC and ACC school. I’m sure Joker is working on one upping that as I type.

43. KYStout
    5:46 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

If any of you fools are over 40 and still listening to freaking Van Halen, you really need to step out of the IROC-Z ang get a life. It’s time to move on.

44. Richard
    5:49 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Cal is a great recruiter and a very good coach! A couple of things I think he is doing wrong. (1) I am a former college professor and these 1st and 2nd year players are still very young. Some guys this age you can climb all over in fron of 20,000 fans and it motivates then, others react just the opposite. It appears that we may have more of the 2nd groupe on this team. A great coach recognizes this on each player and uses the appropriate style that fits the play. A good coach or manager uses he appropriate syle to fit the player (employee) not make the player fit his one style. (2) It is time to send Teague a message. Don’t start him, put him on the bench and have a coach set beside him and point out the good things and bad things that happen on the floor while he is not in the game. Maybe he would do better if he comes off the bench after he has an opportunity to size up the other team from the bench. Hey, it is worth a try because we look a lot better on offense when Lamb runs it. I love the Cats, so let’s continue to be behind them and not bad mouh players but try to see what can make them better. A kid always does better when you praise them for something hey have done right, point out their mistakes and then pat them on the butt and put them back in he action!

45. jay
    6:19 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

that guy on vanettis show is an idiot!He’s a FSU fan that doesnt even have a dog in the fight but trys to dog UK every chance he gets because he works for jurich.Total tool!!

46. Lee
    6:25 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

I wonder if any of the Van Halen members have heard of KSR writers? Now who sucks?

47. Zep
    6:55 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Van Halen killed Disco.True American patriots,buy those guys a beer!

48. Depoytown
    6:58 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

That Van Halen lead singer analogy made me spit my morning coffee all over my computer screen…hilarious…but VH DOES NOT SUCK!!!!

49. PUNT PUNT
    6:59 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

How on Earth did this team beat North Carolina..??? We are going backwards…..

50. Rolling Stone
    7:01 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Stick to basketball which you know a little about…music steer clear

51. WalkersGoggles
    7:28 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Once again ksr writers showing they know nothing about music

Van Halen will be playing the YUM center next month and will sell that place out.

52. question
    7:34 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

how can they grab ten offensive boards in the first half when they only had eight for the game?

53. blueink
    7:37 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

73-49 was the score when Teague turned it over … we weren’t going to cover anyways … but it was lazy, lazy play

54. bung
    7:44 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

pratt told miller he was putting him in charge of fixing the offensive spacing…last 2 games- 40 turnovers, 24 assists… 67 def rebounds/6 fastbreaks….coaches need to hire a consultant on how to run the fastbreak and start miller.

55. Al B. Sure
    7:44 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

I hope your son is intelligent enough to know the difference between “your” and “you’re”.

56. FurdTurgason
    7:47 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Wall was spectacular but couldn’t shoot. Knight was a shooter. Teague is his own player. Back off him and let him develop. Wall was still good for five turnovers a game late in the season. Knight missed several game winning shots before Princeton.

57. bigcuzzz
    7:48 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Beez – been too long. Please post once a day, we get tired of reading all the other nonsense on here. And you only had ONE grammatical error! I’ll let it slide though!

58. JRA
    7:56 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

my father told me that my grades were mine, if I liked C’s then live with C’s and be average. For some reason being average didn’t suit. Let your son own his grades, life’s lesson, you reap the reward of your choices! Also, remember, being smart isn’t cool to some kids, especially when they have chosen a poor peer group. If this is the case he will have to learn, probably the hard way, that fitting in with peers is good only if the peers are good.
    Glad to see Darius play better. He seems to be a good kid and he is a Kentuckian!

59. Old Pogue Bourbon
    8:07 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Beisner…you’re brilliant! Great Post. We had the same problem with our daughter only it didn’t start until her sophomore year. We didn’t buckle down and disipline like we should have. She just graduated from UK with an Art History degree. It only took her 7-1/2 years.

60. WildcatFan
    8:14 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

#44 totally agree…our coaching staff needs to coach Teague “up” in a sense and give the kid a little time. He’ll be fine and our team will be fine, too. Go Cats!

61. Stan
    8:20 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

I agree with you 39. I love this team, but don’t think we can win number
    with teague at the point. It is still early, hopefully he will wake up and listen to his coach.

62. jBlue
    8:23 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Start Miller!! THis is getting rediculous.

63. jBlue
    8:24 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Miller is the most complete offensive option we have. Just think if we actually ran a play or two for him.

64. Kidnut
    8:33 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Not much of a David Lee Roth fan, he had great charisma but lacked vocal range. Eddie Van Halen had a unique style but you get tired of hearing it after a while, it sounds sloppy and probably was because he was out of it most of the time. Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar seem like the kind of guys that would be great to hang out with…all the others, complete nightmares.

Van Halen as a band was great, love their stuff all the way to the early 90s.

65. Al's IndiCats
    8:35 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Seriously, Van Halen sucks? I would much rather be sitting at a light listening to Van Halen from the car next to me than listening to a car 7 lengths away hearing nothing but Boom…..Boom…..boom…..and feeling the freaking vibrations from some poor teenager’s car that is going to be sooooo freaking deaf by the age of 25. And the Fox Trot is the heat of neat! (1930’s slang)
    BTW, Teague’s going to be just fine! A lot of you are going by what we had the past 2 years, and the learning curve is different for all three guards. Quit screaming like the sky’s falling and enjoy this season. Let Cal Coach, and we as fans cheer.

66. So Indiana UK Love
    8:38 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Beisner is a Lady Ga Ga Groupie!!! VH rocks and your comment shows you have no idea what Rock and Roll is.

67. road_warri0r
    8:40 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

The order of whose hands I would prefer to see the ball in a tough situation 1. Miller 2. Lamb. 3. MKG 4.Davis 5.Jones 6.Teague By the way, no one now is talking about TJ, he did look pretty aggressive last night. I figured out what TJ’s problem was…. At the point when Coach Cal pronounced “NO more posing” it killed TJ’s spirit and hence the pouting.

68. Cristoforouk
    8:42 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

I said it last night while watching the game, but this team should be running pick and rolls with Darius and Davis all game long. Darius is great at getting in the lane if given space and has a nice mid range game, and he is probably our best passer on the alley oop to Davis. Not to mention that is a nightmare match up height wise. Cal needs to take some responsibility out of Teague’s hands and give it to Lamb and Miller. Let them be the playmakers. Teague is only going to be a role player this season. Stop trying to make him more than he is capable of right now. If we are going to take a bunch of bad shots (like Teague does), I would rather Lamb and Miller be taking those shots.

69. Cristoforouk
    8:42 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

and 29 – you obviously know very little about basketball.

70. Alex Van Halen
    8:50 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Sorry but your post ended after a Van Halen Sucks comment. I’ll show you my bank account and we’ll see how bad we suck after our tour this summer.

71. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    8:55 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

John Wall= John Lennon / Brandon Knight= Paul McCartney / Marquis Teague= Ringo & Yoko’s love child. Van Halen rules Beisner.

72. RaleighCat
    8:57 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

This UK team goes 6 deep. Six. Does it really matter if Miller comes off the bench or starts? He’s getting 27-30 mins per game, same as the “starters.” Wiltjer gets 15 mins per game but needs less until he can actually guard someone. SEC wings are going to eat him alive.

The biggest hurdle we face going forward is lack of depth. Period. Heaven help us if one of the 6 goes down with an injury.

73. Hartline
    8:59 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Liggins becoming a clutch shooter last year only happened in the tournament. Everyone got mad at him missing all year.

74. catfanetwn
    9:07 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Agree with #44—Sit Teague, let him watch and fill in when the point guard needs rest or has foul trouble. We are 15 games deep in the 11-12 schedule. Teague has not progressed/ possibly regressed. His body language even says he is lost offensively and defensively. Honestly barring the very good second half against Indiana, and he has been a total detriment to the offense and just so so at best defensively. Bad thing about it is we are gonna see him for a while because there is no way in hell an NBA team is taking him, there are many, many, many, point guards, freshmen, sophomores, that are much better right now than Teague! Time to put him on the bench, use Miller, get Wiltcjer(?) more time, and get someone that can get Jones the ball where he needs to get it, can penetrate and kick out to Lamb for an open three or kick out to Miller, not jump up in the lane and then try to jam a pass into Davis or MKG, and it end up a turnover, or by any means watch Teague set the all time UK record for most wide open reverse layups MISSED!!!

75. stevem
    9:37 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Teague cannot lead this team to #8 for a variety of reasons, which need not be discussed in detail here. I therefore would be encouraged to see Calipari experiment with the point because at this juncture, UK is not a Final four team.

76. yeah first
    9:44 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

holy jebus teague really sucks

77. DHo
    9:54 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

This game is an example of good scheduling.
    Coming off the biggest OCC game of the year, with a young team, a let down game is easily anticpated.
    If this had been an SEC game (even at home) we could have been in serious trouble.
    As far as Teague goes, with the question of sit him or play him…. I side with play him.
    Take him out, chew him out, then put him back in.
    He’s only going to be here a year or two… he’s going to go pro ready-or-not (95% of them go and are not ready to play, but ready to be paid)
    The best way to learn is to play and Cal clearly believes in playing the highly ranked talent he recruits, that’s one big reason he gets them… so our discussing play him/sit him is really a moot point anyway.

78. he says she
    9:58 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Seemed like all we heard last year was that we shouldn’t compare Brandon Knight to John Wall. Knight may not have had the straight line speed and explosiveness that Wall had, but he more than made up for it with his decision making, shooting and steady ball control. Teague has neither the speed/explosiveness of Wall or the shooting/decision making of Knight. To top all that off, he doesn’t seem willing to learn from his mistakes or do the little things to win games.

Until Calipari figures out a way to get through to Teague, Kentucky will struggle at the point guard position… which is key to winning a championship.

79. Shane
    10:06 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Thomas Beisner strikes me as more of a REM and Madonna type of music listener. In other words he listens to music that has no testosterone. Van Halen ROCKS!!!!!!!

80. Jon
    10:09 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Usually love Beisner’s notes–sad to see that you would call your son a dumb ass and Numbnuts on a blog. Have to assume you talk to him like that at home. Very disappointing.

81. kycatman
    10:21 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

#44, I totally agree with everything you said except one. Lets not pat anyone on the butt!! Replace this with a pat on the back. Some kids cannot take critisism even though it may be constructive critisism and I think Teagues is one of those kids. He displayed some of his best skills the second half of the Indiana game and I honestly thought this was his coming out party but, obviously not. Nevertheless, he showed the whole country that he does have some very nice PG skills that game and we just need to be patient with him until he shows them on a consistent basis. Until that time comes, I for one would support him setting and let Lamb get the start at point!

82. Thomas Beisner
    10:22 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

81, you know what they say about people who assume….

83. John W
    10:23 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Here is how you play in Louisville every year: rotate every other season between playing Indiana either there or at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy. On the years where they aren’t already playing Indiana there, play Missouri there, rotating between Louisville and the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis.

This gaurentees 2 things:

1. a game in Louisville each year against a quality opponent (Indiana or Missouri)

2. a game in an NFL Domed Stadium each year, either in Indy or St. Louis with the potential of a TON of fans in blue to pack the place and also prepares our players to be able to play in a dome like they will in March. St. Louis is also a shorter trip for our fans than Columbia, and Indy is easier to get to than Bloomington, and safer…

84. 3 fan
    10:28 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

You know, at some point someone is just going to stand up and say “How in the world was Wiltjer a 5 star?” “How in the world was Teague ranked the #1 PG in his class?”

85. John W
    10:33 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Nevermind, I guess Mizzou wouldn’t work because they will be in the East and we’ll play them twice a year.

86. David Lee Roths Grandpa
    10:35 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Hey, 37. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, (hold on) Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha (Owe! I fell down!) Where was I? Oh, yeah. Hahahaha!!!

One of the funniest posts I ever read!!!

Thomas, you called your son a dumb ass! Not cool, man!!!

You said Van Halen with David Lee Roth sucked!!! Definitely, not cool man!!!

Don’t make me come over there!!!

With those things aside, nice, amusing article!!!

87. nolablue
    10:52 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

I knew there was a reason I never liked Beezner. Anyone who thinks Van Halen sucks, is no friend of mine!

GO BIG BLUE!

88. out of loop
    11:09 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Pleez Beez say it ain’t so??? Why would someone blast Van Halen????

89. TatesCreek8
    12:38 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky is guilty of point shaving

90. Lou eaton
    1:44 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

Cal needs to sit Teague as some have already stated. If he refuses to play the way the coach wants him to play then he will eventually end up as an obscure player for a div 2 team…he simply just doesn’t seem to get it!

91. In Lightning
    2:17 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

This post helped me finally realize that on KSR, the only posts I’m ever really interested in are Beisner’s. While the other writers fill their posts with empty, meaningless sports jargon, Beisner is actually analyzing what is happening on the court, and writing insightful critiques. Good work Beisner, keep it up.

92. sunnycat
    2:17 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

43. I got a sweet 1987 IROC 350 sitting in the garage. $1500.00 says your honda civic (or what ever jap trap you drive) can’t keep up.

93. Calipari'sInYourEar
    4:02 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

Sorry Beez, but Van Halen with David Lee Roth was epic Rock son.

94. Coaching101
    8:37 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

Wow, what a post, as a coach I was impressed with all the basketball terminology, bumping the cutter, cutting the baseline, now we need to sit down and guard. This team does frustrate me with the lack of offensive plays- I really don’t understand the lack of out of bounds plays and I haven’t seen a press offense- we were really bad at this in the ul game- great article

95. David Lee Roth
    10:11 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

Wrong, Beisner!! Van Halen rules!!

96. Ratchet