Cliff Alexander says he can play with Towns at UK

cliff-alexander

It’s a three-team race for Cliff Alexander’s services, says Jeremy Woo, a contributor to ZagsBlog.com. Those three teams are Illinois, Michigan State and the University of Kentucky. Alexander, ranked 8th in ESPN’s top 60, likes all three head coaches and said he sees himself fitting in with UK’s system.

Woo (Woooooooooo!) spoke to Alexander after the EYBL session in Minneapolis on Saturday and Alexander told him the Kentucky staff wants to turn him into a Terrence Jones-type player. Karl Towns’ commitment doesn’t hurt Kentucky’s chances; he can see himself sharing the paint with Towns in 2014-15.

“They want to develop me, get me like a Terrence Jones and I’m looking forward to that,” Alexander told ZagsBlog.com. “[Karl Towns] and I can play together–he’s a five and I’m a four. We’ll work from there.”

Alexander and his Mac Irvine Fire AAU squad just tipped off in the final game of the event. He scored 30 points and grabbed 11 rebounds last time out in the Sunday afternoon game.

[Three-Team Race for 2014 Star Cliff Alexander]

Article written by Drew Franklin

17 Comments for Cliff Alexander says he can play with Towns at UK

1. BAdams
    10:43 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

He will be a Cat. If Okafor and Jones are hell bent on playing with each other, then Cliff will be a Cat cuz Cal has made it known Mudiay is his #1 pg target.

2. Pancreas
    11:00 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

1- I agree that we have a good chance with Alexander, but your logic makes no sense. In fact, Alexander has even publicly mentioned the possibility of becoming a package deal with Okafor and Jones.

3. Duuuuuude
    11:01 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

The 2014 class is beginning to look like a class that could rival the 2013 class. A stud point guard…. skilled interior presence…… Add some 3 point snipers and watch out!

4. KevinM
    11:10 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

Now this is why you sign on to KSR on a day off…..there is always news to pump up the BBN.

I know Cal has to get his PG for others to follow, so we have to find that sooner than later.

5. cornbreadmafiacook
    11:11 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

we’ve already got one sniper….towns is an excellent shooter w/ deep, 3-point range. I’ve got the feeling that kid’s going to be special even by our recent standards…

6. James
    11:25 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

7. James K
    11:42 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

Wait — is he committed? That’s like VERY direct talk about what he will do at UK. I’m actually amused, that is so blatant.

8. Andrew
    11:54 am May 27, 2013 Permalink

He is an exact clone of an Amare Stoudimire (sp i know is wrong). Although he isn’t the prima donna Amare is. and i agree with number 7, it looks as if he has already committed b\c he says “I’m looking foward to it” and “we’ll work from there.” Anyways the dude is a beast in the paint and willl be the perfect compliment to KAT.

9. Pancreas
    12:09 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

8. I agree about your comment about him being a perfect compliment to Towns Jr.

Assuming we only get one of Alexander/Lyles, I go back on forth on who I want more. Lyles is so skilled and I think I prefer him as an individual player. However, Alexander would be a better fit with KAT because of his aggressive and physical play. As fun as it would be to watch KAT and Lyles overmatch their defenders with their skill and shooting, I love having a brute down low to carve out space and rip down boards.

I’d love either though, obviously. Both great talents.

10. Jen
    12:13 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Often these kids don’t switch to the conditional tense when they speak of how they would fit on a team, so I wouldn’t take it as any more than that.

11. John
    12:31 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

I know we only will get one of Lyles and Alexander and I would be happy with either. Both have different games but I think that Lyles is better fit for the 4 position. If we get Alexander and miss on Lyles I think he will go to Louisville and I would hate to see a lottery pick players stock drop into the second round like all of UL’s players do.

12. James
    12:41 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Compared to what he said about MSU (I like the coach and I get along with the players well, Harris is a close friend) it really sounds like he’s coming to UK. No mention of what he’d do at MSU.

Looking forward to having him.

13. UK
    1:02 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Never count out Cal in recruiting battles (in regards to Lyles, Alexander, and even Okafor), but remember that we are so talented this year that some people almost have to come back. Cal learned his lesson last year and college basketball should be frightened.

14. Ridge Runner
    1:08 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Thats what I’m talkin’ about, Cliff!

15. Stoooooooooops
    1:53 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Cal has a very real shot at bringing in Lyles, Alaxander, Mudiay, and Towns next year. Those 4 plus the hold overs from this years team could be great. Just because of the number of great players on this years team, you know several of these kids will be back for next year.
    I think if this where to happen you would see the NCAA changing rules to try to hinder Cals recruiting. Nothing would get under Emmerts skin worse then Cal winning a couple in row with totally different players on each team!!!!!!!!

16. Bigblueyoda
    2:17 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Love this guy…but would really like to get Stanley Johnson boys a beast

17. BBN#1