Cleveland writer comes to Nerlens’ defense

nba_e_noel_gb1_400

Last night, Matt spoke to Nerlens Noel, who shot down rumors that the people surrounding him were damaging his draft stock. Nerlens said that the only people around him were his mother and business manager, and that if it’s been difficult to schedule meetings with him lately, it’s because he’s spending so much time in Birmingham rehabbing his knee, which is his number one priority. Nerlens will call in to the radio show on Friday to talk about the issue some more and how he’s doing the week before the draft.

Since the rumors came out about Nerlens’ handlers, several have stepped forward to defend the talented player, including the Cleveland Plain-Dealer’s Mary Schmitt Boyer, who wrote a feature on Nerlens earlier this month and had this to say about their encounters:

After the Cavaliers won the NBA draft lottery and the No. 1 pick, I arranged to go down to Birmingham and interview Noel while he was rehabilitating his torn knee ligament.

I had no trouble setting it up. It took me all of two emails. He arrived when he was supposed to, worked hard all day, reported for a shooting session on time and worked hard until the coach running it decided he’d had enough. He was serious, but polite and businesslike.

I encountered no entourage, although recent reports also have been critical of those around him.

Boyer echoes many of us when she says “I just know that the player I’m reading about is not the same one I interviewed.”

Nerlens meets with the Cavs this weekend.

[In defense of Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel as he heads into NBA Draft 2013: Mary Schmitt Boyer]

7 Comments for Cleveland writer comes to Nerlens’ defense

1. cracka
    2:18 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

i think your title meant to say “writer” … maybe

2. UKBlue
    2:19 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Nothing more then shady agents spreading lies & rumors trying to move their clients up the draft board. Noel ACL says shut up & bring it on !!

3. facts
    2:42 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Ryen Russillo loves to play Mel Kiper Jr this time of year. Fact is….Russillo isn’t well connected in the NBA (notice that ESPN buries him on ESPNU and ESPN Radio for draft coverage) and he’s is doing nothing but trying to make people think he’s connected. If anything, he heard something from the assistant to the assistant GM for somebody picking 3-5, who fed him this garbage because they want to draft Noel and needed a dolt (guess Simmons wasn’t available) to spread their false rumor. Trust me on this….I have source that says that Russillo is a poser…but don’t ask who the sources are….I’m not going to name names. Russillo should stick to talking non-stop about how much he benches and kissing SVP’s a$$.

4. Mack
    3:07 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

You have to wonder were and why these rumors start.

5. Scott Baio
    3:52 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

3 – If Chris Driscoll is his business manager, Russillo might be on to something with all of this. I’m not about his sources, but by all accounts Driscoll is very shady character.

6. Johnson AB
    4:02 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

ok … let’s try and find a different picture of Nerlens, we’ve used this one up.

7. secretagent0014
    4:35 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

It must be all those shady sick kids in hospital he goes and visits. Or what about all those creepy old people he’s been hanging out with in nursing homes. And how dare him take that little kid with cancer to derby instead of yucking it up all the B-list celebrities. Jeez the some of the sports media can’t give it a rest. I haven’t seen anything but good from Noel, why disparage him?