Class of 2013 Progress Report

slam167_cover
SLAM cover boy and coveted UK recruit Andrew Wiggins, with Jabari Parker

While we wait for the chips to fall with Julius Randle, Andrew Wiggins and Aaron Gordon, let’s check in on UK’s current 2013 class as their senior seasons wrap up:

COMMITMENTS

andrew-harrison
Andrew Harrison
Point Guard, 6’5″ 210 lbs.
ESPN Rank: 5
Season averages (per game): 14.1 points, 6.1 rebounds, 5.1 assists
Season high: 32 points against Fort Bend Bush on 3/2

aaron-harrison
Aaron Harrison
Shooting guard, 6’5″ 205 lbs.
ESPN Rank: 7
Season averages (per game): 23.1 points, 5.2 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 2 steals
Season high: 40 points against Miller on 12/27

james-young
James Young
Small forward/Shooting guard, 6’6″ 210 lbs.
ESPN Rank: 6
Season averages (per game): 27 points, 17 rebounds, 6 assists
Season high: 43 points, 22 rebounds against Avondale on 2/7

dakari-johnson
Dakari Johnson
Center, 7′ 250 lbs.
ESPN Rank: 11
Season averages (per game): 16 points
Season high: 24 points, 15 rebounds against Lake Wales on 11/24

marcus-lee
Marcus Lee
Power forward, 6’9″ 200 lbs.
ESPN Rank: 18
Season averages (per game): 17.7 points, 19.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists, 6.8 blocks
Season high: 31 points, 29 rebounds against McClymonds on 12/22

derek-willis
Derek Willis
Power forward, 6’9″ 205 lbs.
ESPN Rank: NR
Season averages (per game): 18 points
Season high: 30 points against North Crowley (Texas) on 12/29
Notes: Will play in the Kentucky Derby Classic on April 19

TARGETS

andrew-wiggins
Andrew Wiggins
Small forward, 6’7″ 205 lbs.
ESPN Rank: 1
Season averages (per game): 22.8 points, 11.2 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 2.6 blocks, 2.4 steals
Season high: 57 points against Marietta College JV on 2/7
Notes: Visited Kentucky on 2/27
Decision date: April or May

julius-randle
Julius Randle
Power forward, 6’9″ 225 lbs.
ESPN Rank: 3
Notes: Randle has been a force since returning from a foot injury, dropping 74 points in two games to lead his team to the Texas State Championship
Decision date: March 20 at 1 p.m. on ESPNU

aarongordan
Aaron Gordon
Power forward, 6’8″ 210 lbs.
ESPN Rank: 4
Decision date: Unknown

The sun will come out, tomorrow…

34 Comments for Class of 2013 Progress Report

1. DrSayre
    3:40 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

I think Wiggins ends up at UK… If it really is between us and FSU, I can’t see him going to FSU, and what would be the point in compromising with UNC? I think we are in good shape unless there’s another school that he likes just as well as UK other than FSU

2. BigBlue
    3:42 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

I agree, Matt’s logic on compromising with UNC makes no sense. He either goes to Florida St. for his parents or a school of his choice.

3. Biglaw Dawgin'
    3:43 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

James Young’s numbers are just ridiculous. And Marcus Lee averaging almost 20 reb a game? You’d think these guys were playing 48 minute games, not 32.

4. Catsantonio
    3:55 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

James Young…..good grief! Seems like all these guys do more than one thing very well and play with energy, will be a breath of fresh air next year!

5. UK Fan
    4:01 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Can’t wait to get some real winners in our program.

6. mudcreekmark
    4:11 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

I think Marcus Lee will become a fan favorite. Wait and see, to have those type numbers he has to be an all out hustle guy. You just don’t get that many blocks and rebounds by standing around. I cannot wait to see him play.

7. CATS
    4:15 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

I’m happy to see players with good size at their positions. Size wize we’ll look like the Oklahoma City Thunder.

8. CATS
    4:15 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

wise*

9. Big Blue Nation
    4:16 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Memo to all incoming freshmen:
    (1) Check your ego at the door when you get here.
    (2) Play for your team not for your individual glory.
    (3) Play with heart. Take every game serious, as though your life depended on it.
    (4) Hustle your ass off. No matter if you miss all your shots, still give it your all.
    (5) Show some emotion. Have fun.

If you all do all of the above, we promise that you will be loved, win or lose.

10. ukjonese
    4:26 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

really #9?!… haha I bet these guys do more hustle in a day then you do in a month.
    These are 18 yr old kids cut them some slack!

11. I Say
    4:27 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

I still havent given up hope on this years team…Its not over yet

12. SteveM
    4:29 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

#11–appreciate your optimism but….it’s over.

13. I Say
    4:29 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

and I hate hereing “fans” dog on this years team so much. yes we are UK and the standards are extremely high, but they are all freshman, imagine this years team as sophmores and juniors…

14. I Say
    4:31 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

12 I bet you gave up on B Knight and Jones halfway through the season two years ago…

15. I Say
    4:31 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Hearing*

16. JustSayin
    4:31 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

9) is right. Quite a few games where Nerlen’s stats weren’t so hot and he’d miss a bunch of freethrows. But the UK fans love him because of his effort and hustle. The kid is simply a winner and we all see it and appreciate it.

17. oldschool
    4:32 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

this makes me sick. no 4 year white guys. these kids don’t know what Kentucky tradition is all about and never will with that slimeball coach.

18. checks pool room
    4:34 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Thanks Matt ! Great to see some stats on these new guys coming in.I didnt know how wild some of the stats were,but on the flip side was expecting more assits from Harrison the point guard ??Im sure it will get better for him at U.K.

19. Kevin Burton
    4:39 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

13: Current team as sophmores and juniors = the same result!

20. Kevin Burton
    4:41 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

17: Either you’re color blind or Derek Willis is Black

21. oldschool Says
    4:43 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

I’m old, dumb and color blind

22. oldschool Says
    4:44 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Not worthy of being on this site! KSR is the best and I’m a loser!

23. Big Blue Nation
    4:46 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

10) What is your point? My point is, we are giving these freshmen this year a lot of crap on here. If you want to avoid the BBN wrath, check off the to do list that I wrote about above in post number 9.
    16) You got my point. Noel is a perfect example. He wasn’t perfect by no means. But he plays with heart and hustle and you rarely heard any complaints on here about his play. If you look at the list, Goodwin and Poythress wouldn’t be able to check many of the boxes off.

24. ThatsAShame
    4:55 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Oldschool has become the commenting Tipton. Along with that I would assume a few Notoldschool posters in each thread. Along with that a few that don’t recognize the NOS and post in reply. It makes me smile

25. thatsAshame
    5:29 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

crackin me up fella

26. Red Bird
    5:37 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

I just realized that UK will be a HUGE team next year.

27. Jimmer210
    5:57 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

Why does everyone act like UNC and Kansas are not players in Wiggins recruitment? I know that UK and FSU have gotten all the fan fare and have been his only two visits to date, but UNC and Kansas are getting visits this week and shouldnt be dismissed.

Im sure Roy Williams and Bill Self are trying to sell him that they can win titles too.

28. Jimmer210
    5:58 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

I just hope we can get one of Wiggins and Randle. Adding one of them changes next years team from being a good team to a true title contender.

29. bmwuk
    6:07 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

That win against Fort Bend Bush by Andrew Harrison put them in the semifinals in Austin. They had been beat 3 times that year by Bush. Key time to score your most points. I’m sad I missed it.

30. Syrin
    7:09 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

James Young is AVERAGING 17 rebounds? Are you fricking KIDDING ME ?!?!?!

31. fireants25
    7:46 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

30-Yeah and hes second to Lee lol crazy ^^^^^^

32. Duke Sucks
    8:21 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

How long will it take for some to get on here and say how stupid these kids are if they dont pick UK. Or to say we didn’t want them any way because they where over rated!

33. V
    10:16 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

We need to fast forward to 2014.

34. Big John
    9:16 am March 6, 2013 Permalink

9) Thanks for the public service announcement.