Cincinnati Reds to honor UK national championship team

The Cincinnati Reds will honor the UK national championship men’s basketball team on Tuesday at the Great American Ball Park. The ceremony will take place prior to Tuesday’s 7:10 p.m. game against the San Francisco Giants. Cincinnati Enquirer beat writer John Fay says the Reds are expecting the entire Kentucky team to be in attendance.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

23 Comments for Cincinnati Reds to honor UK national championship team

1. John Ellis
    12:26 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

It will be interesting to see how many boos there are. This area has a lot of resentment towards UK’s titles – though Cincy had the greatest player in BBall history, it was fifty years ago.

2. crazycatfan
    12:33 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

3. mike gilly
    12:39 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

that’ll be interesting since michael kidd-gilchrist is scheduled to sign autographs at cardboard heroes in louisville from 6-8pm http://www.cheroes.com/instoreevents.html unless there will be a hologram of mkg at the reds game 🙂

4. its miller time
    12:40 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

and miller will be signing autographs at the kentucky shop in florence from 7-8pm http://www.ukwildcatshop.com/newsevents.html

5. john fay = pete thameltoe
    12:43 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

just like pete thaneltoe, it appears that john fay doesnt have his facts straight. or is this a pathetic attempt by the cincy enquire to capitolize on the uk championship, falsely advertise that the uk team will be in attendance in an effort to boost attendance…

6. def
    12:43 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

eff the reds, go to a STL cards world series champs game instead

7. jon hood
    12:43 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

ill be there. go reds!

8. kywildcat
    12:56 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

Cal says “We’re bringing the national title trophy north to Cincinnati! The Reds are hosting our team prior to Tuesday’s game at Great American Ball Park at 7:10 p.m. Hope to see the Big Blue Nation there!”

9. hmmm
    12:56 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

What are Cincinnati reds?

10. Accept it
    1:14 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

Bill Keightley was and Oscar Combs is a Reds fan. Lexington is Reds country and so is the majority of the state of KY. Fact. So this move is only natural. Get over it.

11. Computer Blue
    1:20 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

There were several N KY fans on here complaining the bus tour didn’t stop there. Here is their chance.

12. Mudcreekmark
    1:27 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

10) Totally agree. I would think that nearly half of the fans in their stands each night are from the state of Kentucky. When I was young, and baseball was relevant, everyone I knew were crazy about the Reds. I can honestly say that in the 70’s when the Big Red Machine was motoring to a couple of championships, I watched or listened to probably 150 or more of their games a year.The west coast games were so tough because I would have to get up and go to school the next game. Having said that, you couldn’t pay me to go to a game now. Football and basketball are the games of choice now.

13. Eric K
    2:00 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

GO CATS!! BBN is EVERYWHERE!!

14. bluebiscuit
    2:17 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

Why stop in Cincinnati — take that trophy on up to Columbus and let the Buckeyes get a good look at it, and then head on to Syracuse and UConn and UNC and so on. No sense in just sticking it a trophy case where it will collect dust.

15. Union Mike
    2:18 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

#10 – Totally agree…..UK rules in Ky. MLB is not the baseball I grew up with. I would listen to games on West coast under my pillow. All players want now are $$ and long term contracts. Would not pay to go watch a group of players where half of them on each team do not even belong in the Majors…..way too many diluted teams…..

16. Union Mike
    2:19 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

#10 and #12 – Totally agree…..UK rules in Ky. MLB is not the baseball I grew up with. I would listen to games on West coast under my pillow. All players want now are $$ and long term contracts. Would not pay to go watch a group of players where half of them on each team do not even belong in the Majors…..way too many diluted teams…..

17. SayHarrowToTheRepeat
    2:29 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

And of course I’m going to the games on Wednesday and Thursday, instead of Tuesday. v_v

18. Uncle Sam
    2:44 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

#10,#12,#15- Really? You have nothing better to do than whine about baseball? I’m pretty sure you’re a terrorist if you don’t enjoy going to a baseball game, drinking a beer and eating a hotdog.

19. Natedog
    2:53 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

Everyone, stop and think what this story represents. UK basketball is so “hot” right now that a PRO team, in another SPORT, in another STATE, invited UK to their game. I love what Calipari has done for UK basketball! #Goldstandard

20. Neil
    3:17 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

That is awesome!

21. reds broadcaster
    3:22 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

We need to look at a winner.

22. rjr
    5:17 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

This is really impressive. Good for the Reds. GBB!

23. Typical Basketball fan in Cincy
    5:22 pm April 21, 2012 Permalink

UK already owns my town. The Crosstown Shootout brawl made me watch the entire past season in disgrace. Yeah, XU and UC made us proud by making the Sweet 16, but by then we had already conceded the season to UK. Time to root for the Reds…I mean Bungles…ummm…high school football, anyone?

C-A-T-S Cats Cats Cats