Christian Watford’s shot featured on popcorn boxes

Christian Watford’s buzzer-beater in Assembly Hall from a year ago will live on for at least another season at Indiana basketball games through… wait for it… popcorn sales.  The shot that upset No. 1 Kentucky will be featured on popcorn boxes at IU games this season.  Seriously.

Meanwhile, the University of Kentucky is commemorating its 2012 NCAA National Championship on a banner hanging from the rafters in Rupp Arena.  Kentucky also has a trophy.

Article written by Drew Franklin

35 Comments for Christian Watford’s shot featured on popcorn boxes

1. UK Fan
    11:40 am November 16, 2012 Permalink

I guess those Sweet 16 rings just weren’t enough.

2. UKfan
    11:41 am November 16, 2012 Permalink

This could also be a new addition to their Sweet 16 memorabilia, they are the coolest!!!

3. BigBluesClues
    11:42 am November 16, 2012 Permalink

At first I wasn’t sure about not playing Pie U, but now i’m glad I don’t have to listen to them. PIE U IS A JOKE. BOBBY KNIGHT IS THEIR ONLY HERO AND THEY HATE HIM!

4. Makes Sense...
    11:45 am November 16, 2012 Permalink

…I mean most people could give a popcorn fart about their Sweet 16 run

5. Helpful Advice
    11:48 am November 16, 2012 Permalink

Don’t get popcorn butter on your Sweet 16 rings! Damaging a Sweet 16 ring will hurt it’s already low value.

6. Look Out Fireworks!
    11:49 am November 16, 2012 Permalink

We may have a banner to commemorate our NC, we may have a trophy…

We do not have Sweet 16 Rings!

7. @Jonesy528
    11:51 am November 16, 2012 Permalink

I dont understand why you guys give a flying f*ck about this. If it was a game winner over any other team then any kind of thread like this would have never been created.

8. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    11:52 am November 16, 2012 Permalink

It’s amazing to me that Indiana STILL doesn’t realize how pathetic they look from this year-long celebration of a DECEMBER buzzer beater on their home floor. Idiots.

9. Hilarious! They could put those rings in there just like when Cracjer Jack used to actually put real prizes in!

10. SKEETY DO
    11:59 am November 16, 2012 Permalink

Wahh! I’m ryan lemond and show thread people hurt my wittle feelings. Shut up loser

11. Drew Franklin
    12:03 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

7. — Because we don’t cover any other team.

12. @BIGHEADDAN22
    12:07 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

Gotta love it, they keep showing the replay on ESPN and I still get text messages and smiles from IU fans when it comes on. They act like that shot finished our season, it would have if the season ended in DECEMBER. They did build a shrine for their Sweet 16 appearance, I’ve seen it!! I guess that’s what matters to them, not championship banners, reminds me of UofL fans. I had a UofL fan tell me he wouldn’t want a team like our 2012 National Championship team, I guess they just like hanging Final 4 banners. They must have nice Final 4 rings!!

13. Harmony
    12:08 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

Surprised that #7 got a response instead of being deleted. Isn’t common practice to delete any form of criticism or negativity? You guys are slipping. I thought only people who blindly follow ksr are allowed to post? Guess not.

14. Drew Franklin
    12:09 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

13. — I rarely delete comments.

15. Harmony
    12:10 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

Well, I respect you then, Drew.

16. Harmony
    12:12 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

You are by far the best part of the site and the radio show. It’s a shame you aren’t a permanent fixture on the show. I had listened to it since a little after it came on but had to stop due to teh ignorance of ryan and matt being a douche to callers and co hosts. You need your own show.

17. ukcatsfan2
    12:25 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

Wait, we have a banner and a trophy?

IU has a whole DISPLAY CASE to commemorate “the Shot”….

wow! just wow!

18. Anti Harmony
    12:26 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

Let talk about the real issues of the day — No More Twinkies!!!

19. Just a regular season win?
    12:28 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

How pathetic. You have to almost feel sorry for how sad their program is……almost.

20. HoosierHater
    12:31 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

@#1, LMAO!!! That’s hilarious. Guess they keep needing that pat on the back for such as great job of beating #1 and NOT winning a National Title!!! These Hoosiers need to get a real life! They are killln’ me!

21. OffTopic
    12:42 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

I know this is off topic but I thought this was funny, esp since UK is part of the reason for the beef…http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/11/16/dick-vitale-phil-mushnick-beef/1709187/

22. katmancsm
    12:42 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

When the popcorn buckets are empty, send them to the Ville. They need a variety of hats in the chicken coop.

23. coyotevomit
    1:08 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

I see the is a Kentucky #1 on every box. Well played IU.

24. H.A.Milton
    1:26 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

Draws the perfect comparison between UK and IU…UK=Diamonds and Gold (Standard) IU=Cracker Jacks. When you commemorate ‘beating the best’ you are making a statement about yourself, not being the best! It is beautiful that Cream and the Loosiers don’t get this…I’m sure recruits do!

25. SteveM
    1:30 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

What a cool idea! IU rocks!

26. RealCatsFan
    1:34 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

What’s next, IU Cracker Jack boxes with a plastic Sweet Sixteen ring inside as the prize?

27. GAWildcat
    1:39 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

They should add one item to the ridiculous trophy case commemorating the famous shot. They should add his jock strap from the game so all the IU fans could stop by for a sniff!

28. Jay
    1:50 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

Why are UK fans so scared of IU? Always so worried about whatever one else is doing…UK fans are just giving the Hoosiers more cred by talking about them all the time.

29. Peter Lemonjellog
    2:22 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

Truly pathetic

30. Ruppeat Offender
    2:31 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

…and I have some UK football cups memorializing the win over #1 ranked LSU.

31. Wait
    2:37 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

Hold on. Why would anybody be surprised that they would be selling something to remember their highlight from the previous year, in their building, on something as inconsequential as a popcorn box? This is a story why?

32. Sweetdanglindickdaddymolovesays
    2:52 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

Pop goes the weasels!

33. Sweetdanglindickdaddymolovesays
    2:54 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

Sir pops a lot!

34. Indy WildCat
    3:26 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

It’s ok that the sad HOEsiers brag on a December win still, look back & continually still live in the past, turn down chances to play the Defending National Champs, and still play a cup-cake schedule all the way up until conference play. & this all knowing they had the best team coming back. What bothers me living in Indianapolis surrounded by their ignorant fans all day is how they spin every & all situations to justify the cowardly feelings in their guts that they wake up with every morning!

35. Indy WildCat
    3:33 pm November 16, 2012 Permalink

Last time I checked we didn’t make the HOEsiers turn down playing the Defending Champs in the lovely Conseco Fieldhouse in their backyard. We also didn’t make Crean tweet questionable comments toward recruits (Trey Lyles)and lose out on top tens, we didn’t make them schedule the most god awful non conference games ever. We also weren’t the ones who chose not to air the nations #1 team playing against a JV squad named N Dickota St. earlier this week. As a long time member of BBN I can’t remember the last time you couldn’t find a UK game on, especially when we are #1. It’s obvious the HOEsier fans are losing touch with reality over a preseason ranking.