Chris Walker and Kentucky obviously didn’t click

(Andrew Johnson/ Panama City News-Herald)

The five-star power forward from Florida was a long-time favorite to land at Kentucky. He had the love for the program all along and talked regularly about wanting to play for John Calipari. He waited for a scholarship… and waited… and waited some more. Unfortunately for him, there was no mutual love from Kentucky, because the offer never came. He committed to the Florida Gators in late July, leaving Kentucky and Calipari with “only” six of the top-ten recruits for 2013 as targets. Darn it.

There was speculation during his recruitment that attitude problems were a possible red flag. After Walker gave his word to Billy Donovan his true colors may have finally come to light, confirming what we all thought. Walker wasted no time in talking the talk, promising a Championship for Florida fans the day he committed. He couldn’t wait let everyone know he wants a shot at the Cats, and now he’s got plenty of self-praise for everyone to apparently be wowed by.

In a story for The Gainesville Sun, Walker made it clear he wants all eyes on him and his future as a star, “NBA draft people have said I’m like a sick mix of Kevin Garnett and Perry Jones III.”

There is no lack of confidence for Walker either, “Me now, I’m a high motor for my team,” he said. “I can lead a team now. With my skill set, I can play outside or inside, I can post up. I can defend and guard [all five positions], and that’s because of the athleticism I have.”

That’s a lot of “me, me, me,” isn’t it? Not exactly what the prototypical Calipari player sounds like.

But he wasn’t done. Walker had even more for us to be impressed by, “I can shoot threes now,” Walker explained. “I can finesse you. I can dunk on you. I can guard anything, and I’m rebounding better. When I block shots I catch the ball. I can post you up with my back to the basket and hit you with a post move. Or I can face you up and use my quickness to blow by you.”

“I’m my own guy,” he said. “People ask me who I play like. I tell them ‘Chris Walker.’”

My head hurts from all that talk. I have a feeling this won’t be the last time we hear from Mr. Walker, either. So congratulations Chris on all that awesome praise you have for yourself – I’m sure that makes you a really good basketball player. You’ll have a lot of fun down in Florida, too. We’ll see you in Rupp Arena soon enough. Good luck!

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

48 Comments for Chris Walker and Kentucky obviously didn’t click

1. snoopaloop
    4:04 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

“People ask me who I play like. I tell them I am Magic Jordan Kareem Wilt Maravich. But better.”

2. UK Wildcat
    4:05 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Here’s how Chris Walker’s games against Kentucky will go

1) Try to drive within 5 seconds of gaining possesion of the ball, get blocked by Nerlens Noel
    2) Spend next 39 minutes frantically launching jumpers and committing charges
    3) Complain about referees and guarantee a win in the future
    4) Never win in the future

3. nawlij
    4:05 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

I FULLY understand now why Cal never offered this dude…he seems to be the epitome of a “Me first” guy….

4. Marcus L. Owens
    4:09 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Who cares?

5. knightynight
    4:09 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

EEEWWWWWW all dat talk make a man say EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWEEEEEEEEEE

6. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    4:10 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

“In Cal we trust.” This is one top 10 recruit that I’m glad we didn’t get.

7. Bradley
    4:15 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Dononvan is the king of recruiting selfish players. Wlash, Roberson, Midget Walker, this Walker, Boynton….

8. Bob Loblaw
    4:16 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

When they ask me who Chris Walker plays like, I tell them “Bob Loblaw”

9. barn
    4:17 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

it’s gonna be fun heckling this dude

10. UKBlue
    4:18 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

As soon as the kid started talking, WE figured out why Cal didn’t offer him a scholarship. If this kids is so great, why didn’t any other big schools offer; because he opened his mouth.

11. James K
    4:21 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

He reminds me of someone… Ricky Clemons, maybe? The ego is just so bloated. Goodness.

12. James K
    4:22 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Clarence Gilbert! That’s his name.

13. Mr Obvious
    4:26 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

I don’t believe Mr Walker will be playing this season at UF. He will still be in high school.

14. JayCee
    4:30 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Uh-oh. Looks like we have a real badass here.

15. Sarcasm
    4:30 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, because Demarcus Cousins and Eric Bledsoe are such high-character guys…

16. Big Blue Coming at You
    4:37 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Sounds like the prototypical douche-bag Florida player. Let’s see how he likes getting blocked by Noel or dunked on by Poythress.

17. JayCee
    4:37 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Jay Woods picks Vandy, BTW.

18. Dville b
    4:48 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky [email protected] espn fantasy football league. Get it in!!

19. Bubba Earl
    4:48 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Mr. Walker looks like he wants to give The “Birdman” of the NBA a run for his tattoo crown! If I misspelled tattoo you know that I do not own one.

20. Beavis
    4:51 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

I am glad he picked an SEC team. I am sick of people calling the SEC weak. That weak conference worked out pretty well for UK last year. I wish the young man the best,,,,except when they play us.

21. D. Cousins
    4:53 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

#15 – Get my name out’ya mouth! Eric and I were proud of our game(s), but we NEVER carried on like this. I can’t wait till / IF this dude gets to the NBA, I’m gonna break him for talking smack to my school.

Call me…

22. nassau65
    5:05 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

in before gaygogaytors says “this guy is the best thing since sliced bread”.

23. gog8ors
    5:10 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

The writer of this article needs to follow recruiting a little closer because UK won’t be seeing Walker at Rupp Arena on March 9th because he will still be a senior in high school. Both Chris Walker and Kasey Hill have a year of high school left before coming to the University of Florida. Walker is a bit immature no doubt but he has tremendous skills and is improving steadily. Calipari will wish that he had offered Walker when all is said and done but I’m glad that he didn’t. Florida kids should stay at home and play in Florida. Kasey Hill will be the best point guard that Donovan has ever recruited and will be much better than John Wall.

24. SexnNursinHomes
    5:24 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

23- You have no knowledge about basketball. Hill over Wall? You are a moron and like most morons, you probably don’t realize it. How about you just stfu and go watch your football team go 6-6 with Wimp Pusschamp.

25. gog8ors
    5:33 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

24- Hill has all the speed and athleticism of Wall already and still has a year of high school left. Plus, he has a jump shot, something that Wall still doesn’t have. Oh, and if our football team does go 6-6, we will consider that a failure. UK on the other hand could go 6-6 and give their coach a raise with a contract extension.

26. gog8ors
    5:40 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

24- Here’s a little something for you to watch on Hill:

27. SexnNursinHomes
    5:41 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

25- Like I said, Gator bball knowledge is all based on homerism. Hill is NOWHERE near Wall. Not even close. Hill going to be the #1 NBA overall pick? No. and uf football has only 100 more wins in football than UK. You know who has more than 200 wins against uf? Alabama. Ya’ll started gettin decent in the 90’s. uf sucks and I hate living down here with you uf fans. Ya’ll worse than AIDS. Take your fake football history and stick it in your ass. 6-6 uf football 2012.

28. SexnNursinHomes
    5:41 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

26- I’ve seen those vids. Not impressed.

29. gog8ors
    5:43 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Here’s a little something on Walker for all of you to watch if you think he doesn’t have skills and couldn’t possibly be good enough for a UK offer. Better think again, better yet we will just show you in about 15 months.

30. SexnNursinHomes
    5:45 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

29- No one is denying Walker’s skill. You’ll “get it” when he train wrecks your team chemistry next year.

31. gog8ors
    5:46 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

28- Not impressed? Yeah right, now who looks like they don’t know anything about basketball? Sounds like you need to stick to what you know best, nursing homes.

32. SexnNursinHomes
    5:48 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

31- I’m in Florida. Great place for it, huh? Not Impressed.

33. Kidnut
    5:51 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

I like this kid, if you had let him continue the interview you would have found out he turned down playing for the Olympic Team. Chris Walker talks the talk.

34. Lois Einhorn
    6:16 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Gator bball fans are so cute – All 20 of them. They can’t even front-run right.

35. thenamerobdigity
    6:36 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Michael Jordan and Lebron talk about themselves….. Get over it.

36. nassau65
    6:47 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

gogaytors-Walker better than Wall? i want some of what you’re smokin kid.
    A highlight video is nothing more than a clip of players at their best.
    If i went out and played for a couple hours, then showed only the made shots/plays,
    you’d think i was pretty good too. We know this from watching KSR. There are hundreds
    of highlights here. We wait till the season begins (well most of us do), to pass judgement.
    You make your calls and BS predictions on KSR because the gaytors don’t have a decent site. It sucks to suck,
    don’t it?

see 22, i just barely got it in before you showed your pitiful azz.
    Man, it must suck being so predictable, and be a gaytor fan too.

37. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    6:50 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

If the kid committed here and talked like that you all would love his a$$ and talk about all the confidence he will bring the team in a couple yrs. Instead, he simply talks about his skills and winning a championship and gets bashed for it. I sort of remember AD doing the same when he came here and you all ate it up. So, either this kid can’t say it because he’s ranked 7 spots lower than AD was or its because he isn’t here. I think that’s easy enough to figure out. Show some sense, haters.

And for the person that likes elderly sex – I’m with ya about Wall being better but Kasey Hill is the truth, man. He may wind up being REAL close.

38. SexnNursinHomes
    7:29 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

37- So if Hill is close to Wall, then where does Harrison fit in? Harrison is rated higher at #1 and is better than Hill and both are in the same class.

39. jill
    8:26 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

LOL He didn’t choose UK because yall didn’t pay him enough.LOL

40. Mike
    8:32 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Sound like another taco thief to me.

41. SexnNursinHomes
    8:57 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

40- your crotch smells like a louisville sewer and your labia looks like it has been hit by Mack truck. FYI, Florida has signed the #2 pg. We are about to sign the #1 pg. Keep up with the program retard.

42. Orangello
    9:54 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Walker better be careful. A guy could sprain his elbow while patting himself on the back so much.

43. BigBoogie
    10:06 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

#42…hilarious…well done!!!!

44. Beavis
    10:25 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

Speaking of pay,,,,what do you charge Jill ???

45. Bulldawg
    11:16 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

#37 Anthony Davis said he wanted to win NUMBER 8…and he did. To compare what this classless player is spewing to AD is like Ryan Lemond’s wife trying to compare Saul Smith to Ryan’s ball handling skills. Afterall, Ryan is the self-proffessed “better ball handler.” This dude may be an ok player or even a great player, but at UK, we see them all the time…without the mouth.

46. jill
    11:34 pm August 16, 2012 Permalink

#45 real funny. Yall get mean and nasty just because Uofl is better than yall at football and basketball. we see who’s laughing after we beat yall at football. we won the football national championship in 2006 and yall never have. and yall have to vacate all yall basketball wins after cal caught cheating.

47. John W
    12:51 am August 17, 2012 Permalink

@46- How did that Final Four game feel? And the game on New Years?

48. Greg
    9:55 am August 17, 2012 Permalink

Whats up with the Florida fans talking smack about we don’t know about basketball gogbors? what the hell is that? We have 8 National Championships in basketball. I’m pretty sure we know more and care more about that sport than anywhere else in the country… And keep hating Jill, that’s all you all have is to hope we get caught doing something. But I guess you’d know what that feels like with your constant arrests on your football team. And it may have been 1950 but before you spew bad facts, Kentucky is credited for the 1950 National Championship in football after beating Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl. It was a long time ago, but hey keep your facts on the level. And who in the world other than a delusional UL fan would say UL is better than Kentucky in basketball? Football, maybe recently.. but certainly not full spectrum. By the way just some facts on UK basketball.. 8 National Championships, we own the SEC, more titles than the entire conference combined, Most wins ever in all of basketball.. Bu