Choosing the Cats’ Adventure

Anyone else flip to the back first thing like me?

This Kentucky team can still make what it wants of this season. In fact, if they can turn it around after losing Nerlens Noel, Cal says they could be “the story of the year” in college basketball. That all starts tonight against Vanderbilt. Because there are only so many ways we can say “this is a must-win game,” let’s have a little fun “choosing the Cats’ adventure,” starting with tonight’s outcome:

A. Beat Vandy by double digits

A big win over Kevin Stallings and crew would mean the Cats are back in the driver’s seat for the rest of the season. After dropping a clunker against Tennessee, Kentucky needs a convincing win, and Vandy is not that good. Yet, the Cats still barely beat them in Nashville, thanks to a shot clock buzzer beater from Nerlens Noel. Even with Nerlens, Kentucky was outrebounded by Vandy 42-37, which means Willie Cauley-Stein will have to establish himself in the post and box out better than he did against Tennessee. If he, Poythress and Wiltjer can control the game in the paint, then Kentucky can create easy shots inside if the guard play continues to falter. Kentucky’s success will hinge on Wiltjer and/or Mays getting hot from outside, which was pretty much the Cats’ only source of scoring in Knoxville. If Kentucky toughens up, owns the boards, and connects from behind the arc, Vandy will be the whipping boy they so desperately need. A double-digit win over the Dores would give the Cats some much-needed confidence while building momentum going into Saturday’s showdown against Missouri.

B. Beat Vandy by single digits

Say the Cats haven’t totally recovered from the Tennessee thrashing but manage to grind out a close win over Vandy? It’s the most likely scenario, and would keep the team and its fans in the current state of limbo. I don’t expect that Kentucky’s guard play will be resolved by the end of the season, but if Cal can patch together some kind of solution, it will save the ship from completely going under. Call me a pessimist, but I also don’t see the light bulb magically clicking on for Kentucky’s trio of apathy, Ryan Harrow, Archie Goodwin, and Alex Poythress. Yet, if even one of them steps up and delivers the type of performance the team needs, it will go a long way into extending this team’s postseason hopes. Once again, it will likely be Julius Mays and Jarrod Polson who bring the passion to the court, inspiring just enough of their teammates to eek out a close victory over the ‘Dores. Regardless, that won’t do much for Kentucky’s resume or their confidence, and the Cats will still need to win all of their remaining games except for Florida and put together an impressive showing in Nashville to make it to the Tournament.

C. Lose to Vandy

Season over. Barring an SEC Tournament Championship or an upset of Florida, Kentucky will not make the NCAA Tournament and March will officially be depressing. While your coworkers exchange brackets and talk excitedly about the tournament games around the water cooler, you’ll be resigned to NIT updates and staring wistfully at last year’s winning bracket, which is still pinned to your office wall (I know mine is). The bright side? If Kentucky makes it to the NIT finals, I hear Jack Demsey’s is lovely this time of year.

Which of the above do you see happening tonight?

42 Comments for Choosing the Cats’ Adventure

1. Biglaw Dawgin'
    1:03 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Vegas expects an a$$-whooping, and so do I. Going with A.

2. Maxwell
    1:04 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

As much as I want A, B is going to happen.

3. Kdkd
    1:07 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Any of these are likely when it comes to this team. Even if we beat them by 12 or so I can still see us turning around and dropping another one. No consistency.

4. Hmm....
    1:11 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

B is the most likely, but I wouldn’t be shocked by C. Total lack of heart with most of this team.

5. Capt Obvious
    1:16 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

“C” – These guys have no self confidence and ZERO drive. If they were German Shepherds they would be classified as “family pet” stock.

6. Bowling green
    1:17 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Will the game be streamed anywhere? Doesn’t look like Im going to get it here in BG.

7. Bluethroughandthrough
    1:19 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Would love A; Hope for B; Worried will get C.

8. Devastation INC
    1:20 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I would like to see them beat down vandy by double digits, but that would also be like saying someone plays a great accordian- so what!

9. sources lol
    1:20 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

i hear jon hood and ryan harrow are a package deal to transy next year…..

10. Matt
    1:21 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

With the way our resume looks right now I think that losing to Vandy, Miss st., or Georgia would finish our season even with a win against UF. We better just hope the boys come out and take care of business tonight.

11. Ukfan14
    1:25 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Where do UK fans watch games in the Myrtle Beach area?

12. B-man
    1:28 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Most appear to be worried about getting a win against Missouri and/or Florida; however, the toughest game they have left is winning AT Arkansas. Arkansas and Missouri are the same teams…can’t win on the road, can’t lose at home. Honestly, I feel better about playing Florida at home than playing Arkansas at Bud Walton Arena. Oh, and Georgia has won 5 of their last 7 (two very close losses to Alabaman and Ole Miss), so that road game is not a gimme by any means. Honestly not trying to be negative, but I think we need to hope for a good SEC tourney run (at least make the championship game).

13. Minchia
    1:35 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Would love A, but at this time even a 1 point ugly win would be a welcome outcome. What I really fear is a D, i.e. a blow out loss!

14. Zeek Flin
    1:38 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

How about F for fail to win another game this year! NIT, dreamin!

15. Sheriff Buford T. Justice
    1:42 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Dream of A, pray for B, expecting C

16. Rockfield, KY
    1:43 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

6. Go to Double Dogs. I’m sure Tweeter will have the game on somewhere in there.

I don’t care how or by how much, I just want a damn win.

17. El Pollo Loco
    1:45 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

All the Harlem Shake wankstas should watch:

18. FLASHY
    1:45 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Do you know this: Vanderbilt’s record is 10-14.

19. EDad
    1:58 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I’ve had faith in Cal all season to inispire Poythress and Goodwin to play consistently solid. I’m usually very optimistic in our teams with finishing the season strong and winning the SEC Tournament and then competing for the National Championship. We lose this game though, I will still support our team and watch the games, but my optimism for a turnaround will no longer be there. I can only hope our next group of freshman possess the attitudes of MKG, Davis and Noel. I don’t think I can handle another season of highly recruited freshman that come in with a sense of entitlement instead of pride for the school they are playing for and representing. I know that college basektball is a one season stepping stone for many to get to the NBA, but it is very disappointing to the BBN when these players don’t respect the opportunity they are given for being able to play their short lived college career in a UK jersey.

20. B-man
    2:11 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

A ray of hope…on 2/20/2011, the Cats were 19-8. They won their next 10 games before losing in the Final Four. I realize that many feel this year’s team is not capable of such a run, but I’ll bet we felt the same way about the 2011 team. If I recall correctly, that team couldn’t win a game on the road to save their lives. We just need a couple of guys to step up.

21. PrestonsburgP
    2:11 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Whatever Johnny Short says, that’s what’s gon happen!! 15bigguns!! Vandy will win by 15bigguns

22. Roland
    2:14 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

This UK basketball season could be listed in “Ripley’s Believe it or not” book.

23. mudcreekmark
    2:16 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

There was some very interesting quotes in todays LHL. Polson talking about taking more charges says that this will be the first time for most of these players to be asked to take charges. Since when did grade school and high school coaches quit teaching players how to play defense and take charges? I was taught this in grade school and all our players took great pride in getting ran over. Second quote was from Mays. Polson said we had to win all the games or maybe be able to lose one if we are to get in to the tourney. Mays said he doesn’t want for the players to think like that because of the pressure. He said he that they were liable to play bad because of putting pressure on themselves. If they can play any worse than they have been I don’t want to watch.Liable to play bad. What a joke. Does he think they have been playing good?

24. Laker Cat 18
    2:17 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

If Poythress shows up, A will happen. If he doesn’t, it will be C. The rest of the season hinges on the shoulders of Alex Poythress. You have to step up big guy.

25. Mitch
    2:17 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

We need to face reality that A isn’t going to happen again this season now that Noel is not holding down the defense. We are still capable of beating teams left on the schedule but they will be close games if we do. We will need complete games out of Polson, wiltjer, and a little consistency from WCS and Poythress. By consistency I mean not wasting space on the floor, being defensive liabilities, and actually hustling for loose balls and rebounds.

26. Turps
    2:25 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Can you imagine if IU or Louisville wins the title this year? It will be UK championship, IU/UL, and then UK with both IU and UL plus us positioned to compete for titles next year and the year after that. We are totally in a ‘Kentuckiana’ renaissance for basketball right now. We have successfully supplanted the ACC triangle for college basketball dominance this decade. It sure is an exciting time even if this season is a bust for us. We really need to put together an early season tournament consisting of UK, UL, IU, and butler or Purdue. It would be on of the most watched series of games all season. We could even include UT, WVU, Illinois, whoever it would be glorious

27. shot
    2:30 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I have every bit the confidence the Cats beat Vandy. However, I think this team is headed to the NIT. And in no way do they make the semi’s, much less the finals. And I hope I eat my words.

28. Roland
    2:30 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I said it in the “Live blog” comment section for the Tenn game and I still say, this team is “Rattled”. Some players even admit that their mind is not clear on how to handle this situtation.

The coaches are “Rattled” on how to coach these players.

Clear YOUR THOUGHTS and Back to the basics might be the “Best” plan

29. Laker Cat 18
    2:33 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

26. In all honesty, that makes me sick to think about. You obviously don’t have IU family members who still won’t shut up about last years buzzer beater or Louisville friends who jump on the bandwaggon of every team who happens to beat the Cats. I could pull for Butler though.

30. nerlensnoelshair
    2:37 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

B, Cats by 6.

31. nerlensnoelshair
    2:38 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

And I agree, option C = stick a fork in this season. Nothing like a little added pressure.

32. Roland
    2:41 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

IU, nor, UL will win the Championship. Nor will it be Duke or Kansas.
    Some team that has never won it before.
    Butler has the history to do it but maybe someone else.
    CBB this year is “fluxed up”.

33. mudcreekmark
    2:54 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

32) That is what I said on here the other day. I think this is the year that maybe a mid major finally wins it all. I also could see a team like Wisconsin or Kansas State or some other major conference team that wasn’t exactly expected to make a run.

34. cristoforouk
    2:59 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

According to Matt margin of victory does not factor in to a tournament resume. So any win tonight is a positive, whether we win by 30 or win by 1 at the buzzer. In the eyes of the committee a win is a win. So I don’t think there should be both A and B options. Its either A) Win and the season is still alive or B) Lose and the season is done. Any win tonight is a good win with how this team played against UT.

35. Negative Nancy
    3:03 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I am not sure why it bothers me but oh well. Mrs T, why do you always act like a superfan of the team? I want to see the pic of the winning bracket on the back of your door. You are the first female writer I have ever accepted, but the super nerd fan is pitiful.

36. Roland
    3:04 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Considering, today’s trending stuff: If Miami wins the tournament, WOW!

37. Al's IndiCats
    3:09 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

26, let me tell you something about these Hosier (not a mis-spell) fans. First of all I’d say 85% of the root for N.D. in football. By the time they got rid of Sampson 90% had already burned all their IU gear and jumped on the Butler band wagon. By last year IU set a few records by buying a ton of IU trinkets after Deceember 11th and of course we all know what happened prior to that date. I hate IU more than I hate Uvel, all I hear from total strangers in store, resturants, bars, is that UK’s afriad to play those Loosiers, hell when Mike Davis was at IU many of them went to root for Purdue because the Boilers had a white coach, and yet most of them will swear we (UK)are the ones that are prefidious. No I don’t want IU to win squat!

38. Roland
    3:10 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

35, None of the KSR posters rarely comment on their OWN posts.
    Must be a KSR policy for writers.
    Mrs. TT works hard, but, is never (almost) involved with the discussions she brings up.
    According to what I have read, that is “Troll” posting.
    Mrs. TT, I respect your posts (YOU work hard), but, It is what it is.

39. Mrs. Tyler Thompson
    3:16 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

35 – I’ve hardly praised this team lately, but I’m also not ready to give up on them. Plus, if we did that, it would make for a pretty boring website.

40. Roland
    3:24 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Thank You, Mrs. TT!
    You do take time out from your work load to post a comment.
    I am serious.
    Thank You!!!
    Now if you get get the other writers to get “Into” their discussion THEY brought up, it would make this site MORE attractive.
    AGAIN, Thank you.

41. MIke K
    3:33 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I’m a big big Cats fan…have been for my entire life..taking the Doors and the points tonight…sorry but I can’t figure out a way that this isn’t easy money. If I see another post about Alex P showing up…I’m going to puke. Has that ever happened a meaningful game against a non-cream puff opponent? It’s a plea that gets posted every single game day. Lets face it…these guys are what they are.

42. Roland