Over the course of the past week or so, many have speculated about the desired direction that John Calipari will take with the 2014 recruiting class. On the one hand, Emmanuel Mudiay is the best point guard, and perhaps the best player period, in the class. Mudiay is oozing with talent and has the potential to be a John Wall-esque type of point guard. Mudiay fits the mold for a Calipari point guard in just about every sense of the word. On the other hand, Tyus Jones is arguably the next best point guard (and not too far behind) in the 2014 class. Tyus Jones and one of the best big men in the class, Jahlil Okafor, have made it well-known that they would like to play college basketball together. By many standards, Jones and Okafor are right behind Mudiay, as the #2 and #3 best players in the 2014 class. Jones and Mudiay are not likely to play together, seeing as both players are very similar and likely wouldn’t want to share the role. Many have speculated that Calipari might have to make a decision about which direction to pursue most heavily… Emmanuel Mudiay OR the combination of Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor.
I’m not here to make that decision for John Calipari, and even if I tried, I highly doubt he would take my opinion seriously. I am here to show just how wonderful of a type of problem Calipari has in front of him: Having to decide if he wants player #1 OR a combination of player #2 and #3. It’s a tough life…
Choosing between Emmanuel Mudiay and Tyus Jones/Jahlil Okafor is a lot like…
– Choosing between the 1996 national championship team and the 2012 national championship team. You can make an argument one way or the other, but at the end of the day you are still left with one of the best teams of all time…
– Choosing between crunchy peanut butter or creamy peanut butter. Either way, peanut butter is f*cking delicious…
– Choosing a favorite kid. We all know you probably have one, but is it worth worrying about hurting the other one’s feelings?
– Drew Franklin choosing between a Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Taco and a Cool Ranch Doritos Locos Taco
– Choosing between chocolate milk or strawberry milk in the elementary school lunch line. If you were the kid who chose plain milk, we need to talk…
– Choosing between Andrew Wiggins (#1 rated player in the 2013 class) and the combination of Julius Randle/Andrew Harrison
– Opening up a Starburst package to find the following… It’s a win-win
(Honestly, why do they even make the yellow ones?)
– Winning a national title by beating Duke vs. Winning a national title by beating Louisville
– Choosing between the “parachute unit” in elementary school gym class or the “scooter unit.”
– Having someone give you 100 new Pogs or having someone give you 1 killer slammer. Either way, you win.
– Hearing the Wobble for the first time at a wedding or hearing the Wobble the 5th time at the same wedding. The first “Oh” is still just as good each and every time.
– Picking which Olsen twin is less talented. You will be right either way. There is no wrong answer.
– Drinking Diet Dr. Pepper or Dr. Pepper. Even though Diet Dr. Pepper is a little better, you can hardly tell the difference and they are both good.
– Choosing which ESPN 30 for 30 to watch. They are all great.
– Drinking free beer or drinking free Bourbon. Either way, you’ll be feeling good.
– Forwarding or NOT Forwarding those really scary and threatening e-mail chain letters. Either way, you are not going to die. (circa AOL, 2002)
Feel free to add to the list…