Charlotte looking to replace MKG with Otto Porter

Sheridan Hoops is reporting that the Charlotte Bobcats are shopping Michael Kidd-Gilchrist around the league with confidence they’ll be able to replace him with Georgetown’s Otto Porter. Bobcats management believe Porter will still be available when it’s their turn to draft with the fourth pick. According to Sherdian Hoops’ sources, Milwaukeee, Golden State, Boston and Atlanta have expressed interest in acquiring MKG.

The website also says Charlotte has Harrison Barnes at the top of its wish list this offseason. Michael Jordan sure does love those former North Carolina guys.

[Source: Bobcats Shopping Kidd-Gilcrest to Draft Otto Porter]

(Note to Sheridan Hoops: It’s Gilchrist, not Gilcrest. That’s a good look for your credibility here.)

Article written by Drew Franklin

42 Comments for Charlotte looking to replace MKG with Otto Porter

1. Brad
    5:26 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Honestly I hope MKG gets out of Charlotte. Will be fun seeing him in the playoffs in the near future.

2. David
    5:27 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Oh god yes.

If he comes to Boston….. Hnnnnngg

3. Mikey P
    5:28 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Please, please trade him to Golden State. MKG and Steph Curry, can you say new favorite team that was always my favorite teamà

4. Sky Robbie
    5:29 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

I think they are making a mistake shopping MKG! The kid can flat out play and makes teams better. However, it would be awesome to see him out of Charlotte and play for a contender. MJ could ball, but hes awful in the front office.

5. The Know
    5:30 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

In other breaking news, “Chris Sheridan is to sports journalism what the National Enquirer is to news journalism”

6. gossie21
    5:39 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

I don’t get that, shopping MKG and hoping for Harrison Barnes. Charlotte could have picked Barnes last year at #2. I like that trade strait up for both teams. Golden State gets a solid defender and utility guy to support their young corps of stars while he develops his own game. And Charlotte gets a player on its roster that can play on offense, and they can replace MKG with Porter/Bennett.

Mostly I love it because it gets MKG out of Charlotte and onto a playoff team.

7. Big Blue 66
    5:42 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

ladies and gentlemen, thats why charlotte is charlotte and will not be better any time in the foreseeable future. You need improvement and to fill holes at so many positions, but hey lets shop one of the potential pieces…..they should dump Walker, he never was and will never be an NBA caliber guard

8. She's A Caaawp!
    5:47 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

I watched a few Bobcat games last year, solely because of MKG. Honestly he is probably my favorite guy from the 2012 NC team and I GUARANTEE if he had been on the roster last year, that team would have been drastically different. The fire, motor, and ability to lead and bring a team together is something I have never seen from a guy his age and when I watched him play for Charlotte last year he seemed defeated, almost like he had given up…I think he needs to get out of there and go somewhere he and his skills can be used more aptly.

9. Successful NBA Cats
    5:48 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

I’d be perfectly fine with MKG going to Golden State!!!

10. mudcreekmark
    5:51 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

I love MKG as much as anyone but I really didn’t think he was worthy of a number two pick. If all you can do is drive and dunk on offence then you are going to struggle in the NBA. At his position, he has to learn how to shoot the ball before he will be an effective player. I love his heart, I love his attitude, I love his defense, but sooner or later you have to be a scoring threat. Same thing goes for Noel. I love all the intangibles but until he learns how to play on the offensive end, he will struggle in the NBA. Archie Goodwin doesn’t even have the intangibles, so there is no way this kid has a chance.One of these days the NBA is going to wake up and stop drafting these “talented” kids with all this “potential” and start drafting players that have actually proven that they can play the game.

11. Archie goodwin falls alot
    5:52 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

I live in atlanta please send him here. MKG coming to a playoff team already then atlanta gets 3 first round draft picks. Could be an exciting team to watch here in the atl

12. Lol
    5:52 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

They better hope their able to grab Barnes. Because Otto is a wizard. Believe it.

13. Beavis606
    5:53 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

MKG has no offense. It’s that simple. He needs to be on a team where he can be a Bowen or Sobolosha or Metta type player. Guy can’t score

14. Nerlens
    5:58 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

This would be a mistake for Charlotte unless they can add a lot of assets for MKG via trade. I honestly don’t think Porter will be on the board at #3 though as I don’t see Porter falling past the Wizards. Playing his college ball in Washington DC, the Wizards are VERY FAMILIAR with Porter’s game.

Porter would give the Wizards a great 1-2-3 with Wall, Beal, and Porter.

15. downcline
    6:00 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Please get him out of Charlotte. As good as MJ was as a player, that’s how bad he is as an exec.

16. Mark J. Burke
    6:04 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

What the hell is Jordan doing? MKG is on Team Jordan for a year & did great as a rookie, only going to get better. This is a young player that you can build around and MJ is going to get rid of him? Stupid move!

17. Nit
    6:04 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

MKG is a bust.

18. Mingo
    6:10 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

@16 – get those glasses repaired yet?

19. mudcreekmark
    6:14 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

You don’t draft someone with the number two pick and then give up on him after one year.Reminds me of Rick Pitino drafting Chauncey Billups number three and trading him before the season was over. You spend all that time evaluating a guy and you give up on him before he can prove himself says more about the management than it does about the player.

20. Griz fan
    6:14 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

I wanted the Griz to trade Rudy for MKG last season. Would love to see MKG on Beale Street! Of course, we’d have to get a SG that can shoot and let Tony Allen Walk, but I’m okay with that.

21. Cardinal Fan
    6:14 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Hell yeah man, MKG is a bust. Not like all the star NBA players we have like ugh..you know, the tall guy?

22. Kory
    6:18 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

This is not going to happen! I don’t know who this guy thinks he is, or what sources he has to make such a claim. I’m probably the biggest Bobcats fan in the state and I know that this is a complete BS rumor. Sources in Charlotte are literally laughing at this dude’s claim. MKG and Kemba Walker are both safe from trades. They are the backbone of this team and this draft is being built around them. Don’t worry, MKG isn’t going anywhere. Charlotte will be in contention in 3 years, mark my words! Rich Cho will not let a 19 year old game-changer with a ton of potential go for Pierce or some 30+ “star”. Charlotte has made this mistake many times before, but not any more. Plus Otto Porter may go as high as #1. Total BS rumors, guys.

And if it matters, on a fan-site in Charlotte much like this blog, a vote was conducted earlier this evening asking if they would rather have MKG or Porter. MKG won the vote by 87%. If the Bobcats traded MKG, they’d be going against everything they’ve built around for the past 3 years. Its not going to happen.

23. Austin
    6:18 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

MKG is a good guy to have if you are on a solid veteran team, but on the Bobcats some of his skills are wasted. If he can start making the corner three pointer he can develop into Kawhi Leonard. It is hard to develop on a team that needs you to do more than your skill set is geared toward.

MKG to Cleveland for the #1 pick, or to New Orleans along with Ben Gordon for the #6 pick and Eric Gordon. New Orleans could reunite MKG and Davis, plus Monty Williams seems like a defense first kind of guy. That core would keep New Orleans in the lottery for another year, which isn’t a bad thing considering what is available next year. They would also have some cap room flexibility to swing a trade or sign a free agent next offseason.

24. Lousyville
    6:20 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

When Louisville gets more than 5 players in the league then you all can talk to us about our players. lol pathetic.

25. Austin
    6:23 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

21. Bobcats really haven’t built anything the last 3 years. They have Kemba, MKG, Gerald Henderson and Bismack Biyombo to show for it. That is a terrible core. That is in the bottom two of NBA rosters. Phoenix is the only team that is close to being that bad, and Phoenix at least has more to sell to free agents than Charlotte. I grew up as a Hornets fan, so I would love to see them reunited with that name and to have some success. They are a long ways away from respectability.

26. UKBlue
    6:28 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

This would be awesome news for MKG,; Washington is never going anywhere, and getting him out of that mess would be the best thing for him.

UL fans need to go on; UL the place where your NBA dreams go to die.

27. Fresno State
    6:28 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Fresno State has same amount of players in the NBA as Lousyville. hahahahaha

28. Kory
    6:33 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

24. The thought behind the last three years was to bring in talented young players and free up as much cap room as they possibly can. With selecting a decent player Thursday and amnestying Tyrus Thomas, their plan will be almost complete. They will be bad again this year, and are looking at 3 possible first round draft picks with an amazing class in 2014. From what I’ve heard, they really aren’t pursuing players in the 2013 free agency either, so that in 2014 they will have a ton of room to bring in a big name star. Add the fact that they may have Wiggins, Randle, or one of the twins from next year’s draft as well. In 2015 they will have the potential of making the post season, in the same fashion as the OKC Thunder did under Rich Cho’s lead.

P.S., new head coach Steve Clifford said he was very impressed with MKG and eager to work with him. Wouldn’t make sense to get rid of the youngest player after one year, given MKG’s motor and defensive lock-down. His offensive game will expand, and in time will be a very valuable player in Charlotte. This trade again will not happen.

29. UK fan from Charlotte
    6:37 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

This solves absolutely nothing for my bobcats. They only have one player that could make another nba roster (mkg) and they are trying to give him away. The bobcats well never be good with their current front office. Mkg would be the consensus number one pick if he was in this draft. I just don’t get the reasoning behind this. Why throw away the only good draft pick we have made in franchise history? Michael Jordan is an idiot if they do this.

30. Good
    6:49 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Get MKG as far away for Michael Jordan and that dumpster fire in Charolette. Name me one player that has developed under the Jordan tenure? Zero, that’s how many. MKG has no chance as long as he is there. Did I mention that I hate Michael Jordan? Great player, bad person, worse NBA executive.

31. Michael F. Jox
    6:51 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Sorry, Austin, I think Kory wins.

32. Austin
    6:53 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

27. I agree with the plan, but I am just saying the Bob’s are several years away from competing. I doubt they amnesty Tyrus Thomas this year. You have to pay a minimum of 53 million dollars for your roster, and I don’t see the Bobcats being able to spend that much unless they have Tyrus next year.

I wouldn’t trade MKG for some old guy, but in the two trades I discussed, the Bobcats got a pretty good return. If they could land Nerlens Noel and Bennett in this draft, that would make some sense. You would push back the clock on having to pay a young guy, and in the case of trading for the #1 pick you would keep your cap space. If you trade for ERic Gordon, you get a good young player, and you get the #6 pick. Do you really think you will be able to use your cap room to get a better player than ERic Gordon? I don’t. You are going to have to pay someone too much to come there, or trade for a less than desirable contract. With all the young guys you have, you could afford to do it and still go get another Max free agent.

I would favor the trade with the Cavs, and I think the Cavs would seriously consider that swap.
    There are also some scenarios for three or four team trades involving the Celtics, Warriors, and the Pelicans that the Bob’s could explore. Washington could be in that discussion as well. That gets pretty speculative, but there are lots of reasons to make moves for some of these teams. Washington and Golden State are making a push, and other teams are positioning for next year’s loaded draft and free agency.

33. Austin
    6:55 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

I would not do the trade if I am the Bob’s unless I got Nerlens Noel. I don’t disagree with Kory’s point at all.

34. Kory
    8:16 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Its interesting to hear all of these rumors though. Think if MKG was in this year’s draft. He would most likely go #1 no doubt, regardless that Kyrie plays for the Cavs. I don’t see how you can give up a player of MKG’s caliber after one season and being 19 years of age. The new shooting coach has already started working with him on his mid-range jumper as well. I think you would be giving up too much potential and a great defender. The Cats are much better off taking McLemore or Bennett and keeping the other young players to build around. I would love to see them get Noel, but not at the cost of MKG.

35. tooblueforyou
    8:23 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

best possible scenario for mkg

36. Han
    8:26 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Please Boston or even Atlanta. Keep him away from Milwaukee or Golden State.

37. Bill Taylor
    9:38 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

I agree MKG need to get away from M Jordan who cannot manage and cannot develop players. MKG must average more than 5 to 8 shots per game to help any team.Bill

38. Austin
    9:41 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

36. Bill, it is not about the shots. Michael and Anthony were 4th and 5th on our team in shots. You have to be your brother’s keepers. Insert another Cal catchphrase.

39. Kory
    11:14 pm June 25, 2013 Permalink

Sources just confirmed, MKG is NOT on the trading block! This Sheridan Hoops guy is just another idiot begging for attention, causing drama before the draft. Case closed, but nice try to whoever started this rumor.

40. leftygilmore
    9:43 am June 26, 2013 Permalink

Michael Jordon is the worst owner in history of NBA. I hope MKG finds a better home.

41. Toriano
    9:56 am June 26, 2013 Permalink

I live in Charlotte and am a Bobcats fan and I hope they trade MKG…he was a good college player but in the pros all he will ever be is a role player. Still cant figure out why we wasted the #2 pick on him

42. billb
    12:14 pm June 26, 2013 Permalink

thats why the bobcats suck so bad,Jordan is the worst owner ever.