Charlie Strong headed to UT?

Phew, it’s been a busy day in the SEC. Just this afternoon, news broke that Bret Bielema (it is going to take me a long time not to type that bulimia) is headed to Arkansas and Gus Malzahn to Auburn. Now, rumor has it that Charlie Strong will be the next head coach at Tennessee.

ESPN is reporting that Strong is the leading candidate for the Tennessee job, but since Phillip Fulmer is being inducted into the Hall of Fame tonight, word won’t come one way or the other until tomorrow. Based on his comments yesterday, Strong accepting wouldn’t come as a shock; he pretty much gave Cards fans the middle finger when he criticized their support for the team and encouraged them to be more like the Big Blue Nation.

How do you feel about Strong possibly becoming the head coach of another rival?

93 Comments for Charlie Strong headed to UT?

1. Catlanta
    5:48 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Hearing Petrino could be announced back to uofl by the weekend. Would rather uofl keep strong.

2. knightynight
    5:48 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

1st – love it.

3. Aron
    5:51 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

If Joker had coached University of Louisville, he would have been just as good.

4. just saying
    5:51 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

getting Petrino back would be CLASSIC. Pitino and Petrino = least ethical coaching staff in America. Mistress will be a household name

5. Ares
    5:52 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

He is not leaving UofL!

6. Trey
    5:53 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

L1C-Ya

7. jpd
    5:54 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Being from SEKY, I will go from hating Charlie Strong to really,really hating Charlie Strong.

8. BleedingBlue79
    5:58 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Just like UK basketball during the Gillispie era, I really feel like UT football’s return to prominence is just a matter of time, so if they can strike a blow to UofL in the process, I’m all for it.

9. Funky Monkey
    5:59 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Strong should think twice. UT won’t accept middle of the pack. The Coaches that have left UofL as winners,… John L. , Petrino,.. haven’t fared too well. Bad karma for Strong IMO.

10. sc
    6:01 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

louisville is a stepping stone school for coaches, just like western.
    strong can handle uofL, but i dont think hes smart enough or prepared enough to handle UT

11. dave
    6:02 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

strong to UT = legit chance at 2-0 vs uofl/UT next year.
    bray looks to be gone (or at least should)

12. Love It
    6:02 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

I would absolutely love if he went to UT. I’ve always liked the guy, and I am ready for the UKvsUT TRUE RIVALRY
    to get rockin’ and rollin’ again. So sick of people acting like UL is a worthy opponent. UT are our right and true
    rivals. LET’S DO DIS THANG!!!

13. Get Real
    6:02 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

anyone who thinks Petrino is going to get rehired at UL is just plain dumb. Wake up people.

14. See Ya!
    6:03 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

1. ACC is dying.
    2. Bridgewater leaves in one more year.
    3. Louisville is not and never will be a football powerhouse.

It was fun, but much like Kentucky, Louisville will only enjoy brief periods of prosperity. Now the roles will changes.

15. g.rod!
    6:07 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

No way Aron is serious about comment w/the Joke (joker)… (COMMENT #3) . UK fans .. the joke was on us!!!! Bye, Choker , u can’t leave fast enuff 4 BBN, Wonder if M.J.Perino is goin 2 Gainesville w/her man.hmmm,

16. sorry charlie
    6:07 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

14, lol @ Kentucky prosperity.

17. g.rod
    6:11 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Oh yeah , WLEX doesn’t wanna talk about the ‘friendship’ between M.J.Perino & the Joke….

18. Buckets
    6:15 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Bahahahahaha. This, Cards fans, is why you aren’t the national powerhouse you act like you are. Louisville is a way-point for coaches who want to go to real programs.

19. Cayuts8
    6:20 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

it’s funny, we hire a new coach and instantly we can beat UofL and Tenn and Vandy next year. Any sane fan that witnessed the blowout losses and watched a team juggle four different qb’s while giving up an average of 31pts a game would know that is a stupid assertion. YES we were young and injured but we play in the SEC and if we dont improve quickly we’ll get blown out again next yr. If strong goes to UT louisville will still beat us because of bridgewater and having more experience and practice as a team (just as young as UK only going to the Sugar bowl gives them a months worth of extra fall ball) UT has inferior talent to the upper tier SEC now after a couple of dooley seasons so Strong will not be able to win big right away, BUT UT will still have the upperhand (much like they did for about the last 27yrs , 2yrs ago excluded) because of the turmoil created with our last staff. Next yr aint gonna just magically get us to 6 wins, this staff is going to have to put in some serious work, there’s a reason other coaches turned it down and Stoops came approaching UK with a “plan” to reverse our downward trajectory

20. JBR
    6:21 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

After a few years of football hell, I am so happy that football here at UK is at least being talked about again…getting this much attention on this site during basketball season is great.

21. Tom Seaver
    6:23 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Strong to Tennessee? Damn Tubby! It’s all his fault!!!

22. capt
    6:26 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

I think UT will flourish under Strong, just like UL has. They will at least be competitive. So, kudos Charlie Strong on UT for that. And also, Suck it UL, and all your gay fans.

23. sonny lesbos
    6:26 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

enema’s for everyone!!!

24. Computer Blue
    6:26 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

I’m not saying he’s bad, but I don’t think winning the Big East while playing no ranked teams proves anything. The Florida game will show you just how far behind Louisville truly is on being a great football team.

25. paintsville's dairy queen
    6:28 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

#19 UK should have hired you as the football coach.

26. Mike
    6:30 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

21. Getting a little old don’t u think??

27. grod!
    6:30 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Mary Jo leavin 4 Gainesville , even as we speak… oh don’t go ‘friend w/bennys’.

28. schwing
    6:32 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

i can respect him much more at tennessee than louisville. good program and great tradition. eff over louisville any way you can, charlie.

29. BobKYCats
    6:35 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

If he leaves will he still be proud to eat at Rally’s?

30. Kyle
    6:38 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

@25 LOL if that guy was our coach we go 0 and 12 he doesn’t seem to realize the talent was there to be more competitive than we were but bad coaching made us terrible

31. Rae
    6:52 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

1. UL can’t be that dumb, right? I mean, didn’t he leave them in shambles once? And for the record I wasn’t against us hiring him, because I thought a couple good years out of him might be worth the risk for us. But they already gave it a go? Why try again?

32. Blueboy
    6:54 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Strong wont be any better in the SEC than he was in the Big Easy. UL is no more than a thug school. The heck with my son playing for Pitino or Petrino as role models I wouldn’t want my daughter in the vicinity of either one of those jokers

33. Dear UL and IU fans, We are national champions; you are not. The end.
    7:03 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

At UT, they will give him 100,000 fans every game.

34. Bossman
    7:09 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

I think Coach Strong would be good for Tennessee. He is not a “Win at any cost” coach. He is do it the right way coach. I don’t think UT fans will like the approach, much like they DID NOT like Mr. Dooley.

35. Tej
    7:10 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Strong is an excellent coach no matter what some posts say. He has a great coaching background and will probably succeed at UT. They will break the bank to get back to being competitive with Fla, Geo, SC, etc. I hope UK follows suit and gets to the point of being a good SEC team.

36. Duffus
    7:11 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Duffus says: Ask me if I care where Strong is coaching “Stoops Troops” member.

37. Mr. Wrestling II
    7:27 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

I figure UL will have Willie Taggart hired as Strong’s replacement by the end of the calendar year.

38. BasementChamps
    7:36 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

The sec all time basement champions have the nerve to call louisville a steppingstone school. Well it’s taking the Vols an ungodly amount of money that any sane person could not turn down to leave, the stepping stone school. Uk, you would be in the same boat as louisville if you were not in the sec. lol idiots WKU ALUM

39. Idiot
    7:42 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Strong will look good in Orange. UT chose the color orange so the fans could where the same clothes to the game on Saturday, hunting on Sunday and to work on Monday. UL wanted orange too except the athletic director was color blind. He was looking for the same as UT except no hunting. On Sunday’s, the fans would wear orange for their work release.

40. Bryan
    7:58 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

the main reason for Strong’s recruiting success has been Clint Hurtt (which by the way smells a lot like dirty $$ from miami to louisville)…..just when does he get slammed for his role in this Miami scandal?

41. Twill84
    8:01 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

He better get outta there before Louisville gets exposed by Florida!!

42. Catlogic15
    8:11 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

#40 exactly right. Hurtt about to be shown some serious NCAA attention. “Show cause” at best I’d think. UL about to fall apart one way or another.

The Miami connection is over. Without Bridgewater (Hurtt’s boy), they wouldn’t be where they are anyway, which isn’t all that.

43. KT
    8:12 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

good fundamental coach. Without Bridgewater, immininently beatable. hope he goes

44. Joe B Hawl
    8:27 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

I roto-rooted matty bangs’ mom’s ass. And lived to tell about it.

45. ProspectMike
    8:42 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

He won’t go. Jurich will give him anything he wants and Strong will waste the opportunity.

46. Word
    8:42 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

If Strong leaves for TN, Petrino will be back as HC.

47. Catlogic15
    8:47 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

CCS and Jurich less than BFF’s.

You saw that yesterday in presser, plus UL folks sayin.

CCS would love to run from Louisville.

48. CAUKFAN
    9:00 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

It will make Tennessee harder to hate.

49. UT Cheeleader
    9:03 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Wait…did I spell cheeleader right.. dangit…Anyay9Is that spelledright) love the higher

50. UT Cheeleader
    9:04 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Go team

51. I Be4UL
    9:06 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Most of UL’s wins under Strong have been because of crazy bad plays by the other team. He better cash in now.

52. I Say
    9:25 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

I would much rather coach Strong kick our ass at tennessee than louisville

53. 6xJimmy
    9:49 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

I can not believe that this would come out on the day Rick Flair’s 4th marriage is splitting up!

54. Source Close To Program
    9:51 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

A quote from long ago…”if the best things in life are free, then why is Summer Slam on pay per view?”

55. Source Close To Program
    9:52 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

53, the #54 quote was for you.

56. Source Close To Program
    9:55 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Best wrestling quote ever was by the Miser…”money doesn’t talk, it screams.”

57. To Funny
    10:01 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Hahahahhahaha Little brother has been big timed…

58. Dan the man
    10:03 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

He has to be the luckiest coach. I agree with 51. Good time to cash in now if you are Strong. I just hope Louisville doesn’t go back to Petrino that would suck for us.

59. ACC
    10:04 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

It amazing how some on here are so bitter towards Strong. Hurtt didn’t coach UL strong did. They went from a doormat to the BCS. I don’t care who they played. They kicked UKs ass and could only play who was on their schedule. You make us all sound like sore losers. Strong kicked Jokers ass and they passed us up. Big deal we have changed coaches now let’s reclaim our place at the top of the state.

60. UL Fan
    10:47 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

What is wrong with you people? Never have I read more unmitigated hate based on nothing but envy. I hope your coach works out well and we have two successful teams in the state. Neither school has much room to talk in football, certainly not UK who lost to UL, WKU and Vandy. Its amazing, reading he majority of comments and you would think UK had Alabama’s record.

61. Go to it strong
    10:49 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Let’s take the Blue sunglasses off. UT is a great job. They have suffered what UK BB did. Kept a old school coach too long then hired their BCG in kiffin. Then they panicked and hired a coach who wasn’t ready because of his last name( hope UK FB hasn’t done the same). Strong would be a great fit. He’s recruited well to UL just think how he will do with the UT brand behind him(look at Cal going from UM to UK). At least UT is supposed to beat us not UL.

62. Dave Hart
    10:50 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

I don’t understand why top, national, coaches are not beating down our door….I mean yea we have not been very good since, what 2005? we have a little bit of a financial issue, NCAA sanctions, and we change coaches like dirty diapers. But; this is Tennessee. They should be contacting me!!! Oh well guess I’ll go with Charlie, he seems to want the job

63. Dave Hart
    10:54 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Charlie I’m gonna need a pant size for those big orange trousers. You do realize that is a requirement?

64. Go to it strong
    10:56 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

#60 it hurts me to agree with a UL fan, but your 100% correct on this one! No use in being PC about this topic Strong has UL in a BCS game and we won 2 games. Strong has kicked Jokers a$$ and UL passed us up. I’m sure UL season was easier in the big east but that’s just a excuses. UL beat us heads up and it wasn’t competitive. All any team can do is beat the teams they play. UK either needs to get out of the SEC or get better players. Hopefully our new coach can get the job done maybe even to the point Strong has done at UL.

65. jonathan
    10:58 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

You have to win more than one in over a quarter entury to be considered a rival.

66. Dave Hart
    10:59 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

That is unless you want to recycle droolies. We ask him to return them, but; can’t guarantee they wont be stained

67. jaws2
    11:05 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Strong is not leaving U of L. Why would Tenn hire this guy? He’s proved he can win in one of the biggest jokes as a conference in America, against some of the weakest competition. So what; that makes him Nick Saban? I don’t think so.

68. Dave Hart
    11:10 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

#67 – Shush would ya. We’ll get the guy some cupcake non-conference. Help me out here, we really need to get a coach

69. red headed step child
    11:15 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

Good luck to Charlie Strong, he is a decent coach, he will return UT to prominence. The man can motivate. He has done a decent job for the TARDS. If he goes to UT at least UK will still get to play against a formidable opponent. It hurts the league if UT is not competitive.

70. C'on man
    11:19 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

#67 why would he Leave? UT is one of the better jobs in the country. He has UL in a BCS game. Plus he pulled in great recruiting class to UL think of what he could get at UT. UL wasn’t Strong’s only job. He has been a top flight DC in the SEC for years. I think it would be a home run for him and UT.
    How can anyone say Stoops was a good hire at UK then try to be negative about Strong. It makes you look stupid and little like a sore loser. This is just like when a recruit chooses anther school we suddenly didn’t want him or he was overrated. Grow up

71. BK in Scottsville
    11:41 pm December 4, 2012 Permalink

#70 I would argue that Tennessee is not a better job at this point and time. Yes Tennessee has history, but the management of that athletics program over the past few years has stressed the University. Will it make the fan base feel better, probably. However; one man does not fix all the problems that program faces. Louisville, on the other hand, has a vibrant program and a bright future as they move to the ACC. Strong could build a lasting legacy in Louisville. And yes I am a UK fan before you ask. I poke fun but would like Charlie to stay in the state.

72. Keep denying it...
    12:05 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

U of L is your true rival and it eats you up because it means they comparatively are your equal. 1 win in 28 years is not a rivalry–its pathetic. UK fans go on and on about Tennessee, while no one south of border could give two sh*ts. If you needed anymore affirmation of this how many of them came running over here after that beat down they put on you in Knoxville this year…NO ONE.

73. BK in Scottsville
    12:19 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

#72 Apparently you do give 2 sh*ts, your trolling this site. Really? No news on yGruden I presume?

74. Not a Vol fan d-bag
    12:22 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

@73…

“how many of them”

Educated in Pikeville I presume. If I were a Vol I would have used the word “us” there instead of them since I would need to be included in that group.

75. KT
    1:00 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

Truthfully, I think UL will bounce back and get a decent coach now that they are in the ACC. I’m not a UL fan but this is good for us that they finally got out out of the titanic conference they were in. It will keep the rivalry good and I think both programs are going in the right direction which is a plus for the state. That said, I hope we beat the tar out of them next year, I don’t know about the team but I need a good whipping of Louisville for my emotional well being.

76. KT
    1:07 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

@72, come on man, quit trolling, it’s sad. Depending where you are in the state depends on which rivalry you care about the most. Central KY=Louisville. Southern and East KY = TN.

My family is East KY and couldn’t care less about Louisville, it was always “beat TN” in every sport but I’ve been living in central KY for a few years now and I’ve started caring much more about that rivalry than I used to, mostly due to ACTUALLY having Louisville fans around for once. I travel the state for my job and there are almost zero UL fans outside of central KY so it isn’t a rivalry in those areas, or at least not a very big one.

77. BigBlueForLife
    1:47 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

I called Strong to UT about a month ago. Best thing is I have a U of L fan as my witness!!

78. True Story
    1:58 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

Can’t believe some supposed UK Fans are buying this “UofL BCS” crap. UofL in a bowl game is the equivalent of giving that whack-o lady a jillion dollars because she spilled coffee in her lap. Yes, it happened, and yes the rules said they could, but that doesn’t mean she or UofL deserved it. Earned it? only in the most technical sense. They played a bunch of crap teams (UK included) and beat most of them. In a just world Georgia or Oklahoma would be taking your place.

“We got to a bowl game because the rules said they had to give us one!” Now that’s a battle cry. Entitlement is so cool. Welfare Cards.

79. O fer
    6:45 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

Matt Jones never gets anything right…. I fully expect String to remain at UofL, and continue to beat our ass year in and out. We should have hired Petrino.

80. Ya Hoo Spoates
    7:31 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

Pat Forde says Charlie Strong staying at UaVel.

81. strongcanstay
    7:52 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

most coaches see immediate sucess taking over a fallen program,strong aint bad but if Hurtt is in the line of fire he’s gonna see a decline of w’s after brigeater and the addition competition in the acc (not the sec) but more comp. We gotta play him every year where ever he goes .If I were him I’d go to tenn, he’d have a better recruiting market,tradition,stadioum,fan base is 90%football and 100% full, SEC . He gets treated good in lou but its a no-brainer. unless he’s got some hot little intern?

82. cantstandthecards
    8:01 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

funny if he leaves and petrino is rehired, the logo would change to a scsarlet letter on the jerseys

83. cantstandthecards
    8:01 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

scarlet letter

84. FYI
    8:22 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

Funny thing here;

UL is going to pay $5 million a year to keep Strong, HE HAS ONLY WON A LITTLE CEASERS BOWL AND LITTLE BROTHER IS GOING TO PAY HIM $5 MILLION A YEAR!!!

Oh wow, that’s why you are little brother

85. Irony
    8:44 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

79 It’s not just Matt that never gets anything right – who is String?

86. BleedRed
    8:46 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

It’s funny, you guys hope we lose him so bad because you are afraid to face us with a good coach. Yes, you beat us when we had a terrible coach in Kragthorpe, so that is what you want again. You also want to talk about how easy the Big East was, well, Big East faired pretty well against the SEC this year. All three match ups went the way of the Big East. Yes it was against the bottom of the SEC barrel being you, Arkansas, and Missouri, but I’m pretty sure Arkansas and Missouri beat you guys too. You would not have done anything in the BE, same as you did in the SEC. I’d rather be a stepping stone than a toilet bowl.

87. @86
    8:57 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

Hey 86,

We got Stronged like you got Kragthorped, pretty sure Brooks beat you guys 5 years ago when you guys were ranked #4 in the Nation. So I guess using that logic UK would’ve been #1 in the Nation had we’d been in the Big Least

88. cutyourself
    9:01 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

#86 bleed at will or whatever you call yourself Why are you on this site? u of l dont have a site or you come over here for real talk

89. Sammydog
    9:01 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

Charlie will not leave UL because he is a loyal guy…but he should. He is too good a coach to labor in the BE or the ACC with a school that is not top tier. Chances to coach in the SEC don’t come along that often and Charlie has been laboring a long time to get there. This could be his last chance. He should take his talents to Tennessee…but he won’t.

90. BleedRed
    9:05 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

87. Yes you beat us that year, with Kragthorpe, who kicked off half the team and had a terrible season. We were only ranked that high because of what Petrino did the year before, had nothing to do with Kragthorpe and that season. I wasn’t using any logic, I was using facts. You want to talk about how no Big East could do anything in the SEC, but history says otherwise. Hang with Bama, Florida, SC, Georgia or A&M? No, but the rest of the SEC, yes we can. And I’m glad we are playing Florida, I too want to see where we are at, be it bad or good at least then we will know. Bet if we win that game, you still can’t be man enough to say we are good.

91. BleedRed
    9:07 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

88. No, UL does not have a site like this. I don’t live in Louisville, and I actually keep up with UK sports as well, as I use to be a UK fan before I went to UL. I do actually have conversations with people who don’t wear blue goggles 24/7. I come here because it is comical and I get a kick out of seeing the dillusional things that many UK fans say.

92. 90
    10:09 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

@90

This must have been 6 years ago because you had Bobby P when we beat you guys that year, the year Stevie J got loose

93. Ofer
    11:47 am December 5, 2012 Permalink

85- String, strong, or Strung… That’s what Matty bangs does to you dummy’s every day… Gives you wrong info and you believe it. The dude is a Duke blue devil… Enough said.