Charles Oakley banned for life from MSG, James Dolan is a blubbering idiot

ESPN

ESPN

On Wednesday night, former New York Knick Charles Oakley got into a scuffle with security in the stands at Madison Square Garden, and was immediately escorted out of the stadium by security.

It was reported Oakley was provoked and heckled by a fan in the audience, and when security approached him, things escalated. After being escorted out of the stadium, he was arrested by police.

Since then, Knicks owner James Dolan fired the security chief at MSG and went to the media to give fans insight on the situation.

It… uh… did not go well.

Dolan was interviewed by ESPN’s Michael Kay, where he announced his ban of Oakley from the stadium for life, called him an alcoholic, and said he had anger problems.

I may be wrong here, but calling someone an alcoholic with anger issues with no evidence usually doesn’t end well…

Back in 2015, Dolan sent an email to a Knicks fan, calling him a miserable alcoholic that should go cheer for the Nets because “the Knicks don’t want you.” Here’s an excerpt of the email:

In fact ill bet you are negative force in everyone who comes in contact with you. You most likely have made your family miserable. Alcoholic maybe. I just celebrated my 21 year anniversary of sobriety. You should try it.

Between the Phil Jackson-Carmelo Anthony debacle and now this, the Knicks organization has become toxic and I really don’t see it ending well. One thing is for certain, the massive free agent destination that was once New York is no longer, at least for now.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

7 Comments for Charles Oakley banned for life from MSG, James Dolan is a blubbering idiot

1. maximumscott
    9:22 pm February 10, 2017 Permalink

Oakley got provoked and punched a fan. He gets kicked out and an immediate lifetime ban. Sounds like someone was hired. Also, what a Classless act by Dolan to suggest someone may have a drinking problem. If I were Oakley I would bring proof that Im not n alcoholic and press charges on Dolan for Defamation of Character.

• syrin
      10:00 pm February 10, 2017 Permalink

Maybe Okalye shouldn’t go around beating on people. Ever consider that? Being provoked doesn’t let you punch someone. Dude was a pro-athlete and got heckled every night. Guy is 6’9″, 250 and beating on fans. He could seriously hurt someone, but yeah, he’s a “victim”.

2. closjr
    10:32 pm February 10, 2017 Permalink

Jack, I appreciate the coverage of this story, but I want to make sure that you don’t just take a general news article and create your own biases and truths out of it.

I can tell based off your written content that you did not watch Dolan’s interview with Michael Kay. I don’t blame you, it was lengthy.

A couple things:
    “It was reported Oakley was provoked and heckled by a fan in the audience, and when security approached him, things escalated.”

This isn’t at all true. There was no fan involvement whatsoever. Oakley was reportedly showing aggressive behavioral tendencies, pointing wrath towards Dolan, then prompting security involvement. There was no scuffle with fans at any point in time.

“…where he announced his ban of Oakley from the stadium for life.”

This is also wildly inaccurate, although it has been reported in many papers.The first question Michael Kay, the host, asked Dolan was if Oakley was indeed “banned for life”. Dolan’s response was “it is certainly not a lifetime ban”. I know this is incredibly picky, but there is this misconception circling the media in NYC and nationwide. I don’t want you to fall for it.

While I don’t side with either Dolan or Oakley, the media has made a villain out of Dolan and a hero out of Oakley. Unfortunately for Dolan, the media will not cover his side as much. Please, I beg you, go listen to Dolan’s interview so you can actually formulate opinions after hearing both sides. I don’t want you to fall for where the media wants you to fall, which is for Oakley.

• tbbucs86
      10:34 pm February 10, 2017 Permalink

You do not say you side with either but the entire thing is having Dolan’s back

• closjr
      10:41 pm February 10, 2017 Permalink

Also, Dolan never called Oakley an alcoholic. Dolan said that if Oakley struggles with alchohol, he would be thrilled to help out the former Knick great.

Dolan himself struggled with drugs and alcohol, eventually resulting in his attending a rehabilitation clinic. I think Dolan would be much more sensitive, being a former addict himself, before calling a former player “alcoholic”. Those words never came out of his mouth.

3. dsims0004
    10:34 pm February 10, 2017 Permalink

Remember when Oakley threatened to beat James dolans a$$? That had nothing to do with his ban…

• syrin
      11:21 pm February 10, 2017 Permalink

The threat alone warrants the ban. The guy is big enough to kill someone with one or two punches.