Charity AND Dodgeball? I’d be crazy not to go.

UK Fans at Last Weekend’s Charity Dodgeball Tournament: Team Ballsagna (Left to Right) Andy Fisher, Matt Freire, Nolan McGaughey, Ryan Snelling, Jonathan Sturgill, Jacob Brackett, Jordan Queen.

Dodgeball is a sport of violence and degradation…

It’s a pretty safe bet that if you’re reading this site, you like sports quite a bit.  That or you really can’t get enough of Drew Franklin.  I won’t judge you if that’s the case.  But sports are something that we all have in common, and probably all enjoy.  However, there are some cases where students in local middle and high schools want to play, but can’t due to exorbitant costs for fees, uniforms, etc.  Thankfully, there are organizations like We Wanna Play (based in Frankfort) that attempt to help out by hosting charity events to raise money for these kids.  So, on a day between UK games when no real news is going on, I wanted to draw some attention to them and those that participate.  We Wanna Play is a good example of mixing goofiness with a good cause, and will be hosting another dodgeball tournament early this summer, if you’re interested and can make it to Frankfort (only a thirty-ish minute drive from Lexington).  While you likely won’t beat Team Ballsagna for best dressed (they won the award in their first tournament with a matching Jorts ensemble), you’ll likely still have a lot of fun.  Team entries cost $50, and that money goes directly to paying fees, etc., for student-athletes who need a little break.

Head to wewannaplay.org to find out more, or look them up on facebook (wewannaplay) and twitter (@WeWannaPlay).  And be prepared to dodge, duck, dip, dive, and… dodge.

And now for the…

Mixed (Mail)Bag: Round Two

Al B. Sure: Loved the “Mixed (Mail)Bag” … I hope it becomes a regular feature! Maybe do it weekly?

CN: Alright, you talked me into it.

DREWBLUE: Indiana VS Louisville NIT finals, or 1st round matchup?

CN: Oh, please be either one of those. At least then they could say they didn’t lose in the first round of the NCAA tourney.

brandon: Why does north carolina have their own blog on espn bb page?

CN: People used to think they were good.

Grapevine: Corey Nichols is by far the best writer on this site

CN: Thanks, Mom.

wildbuck: Indiana hasn’t been relevant since the hairstyle Crean wears was in style.

CN: You mean ’96? Because I actually had that hairstyle that year. It was awful.

Head Bussa: Seriously, though. How could you wear that hair-style? Butt cut? For real? How could you look in the mirror and say that is acceptable for yourself?

CN: I know, I said it was awful. I’m trying to do better.

You Stole: Talkin bout the who-who-whoosiers? You stole that off me on Twittaaaaaa.

CN: I’d have to follow you to steal it from you. But great minds think alike, eh?

(Speaking of Twitter, I have one.  @coreynicholsKSR. Follow at your leisure.)

RyanRobey: This sucks.

RyanRobey: I mean this is just terrible

RyanRobey: Esto es una mierda

CN: Writing these during Civil Procedure? You should be listening to Douglas instead. Also, what’s our assignment for Monday?

ScotlandCatFan: Good use of the word “chode”.

CN: Every use of the word “chode” is a good one, in my opinion.

jon freeman: cannot believe you hired this guy

CN: You actually think I get paid for this? That’s funny…. Wait, why? Do Rashawn and Stuart get paid?

Whats it to ya?: This article embarrasses me to be involved with athletics. This article had to have been written by a person who doesn’t have a child. And has never had a child that has had their heart broken and come home…upset. And had to deal with the child…when he is upset…..Are you kidding me? Where are we at in society?

CN: What is this I don’t even

macon_volfan: You lose any credibility by saying you wonder who would win a mens v women game [at Tennessee].

CN: Maybe I should put a winky face every time I’m being sarcastic. But you are correct as to who would win, certainly.  There really isn’t much doubt after watching Stokes play; he could probably beat Pat Summit’s team on his own. Assuming he doesn’t think girls have cooties, since he just came from high school and all.

KC and jojo: So true, go cats

CN: All my life, I prayed for a commenter like you.

NotSatire: “That may be a hyperbole”…Lose the “a” Corey. It should read “That may be hyperbole”. Just saying…:)

CN: Yep, good call.  And just so we’re even, you should put a comma before “Corey”, since it’s a noun of direct address. Truce?

Zach: [on AD v. Arkansas] Five years from now, people will hardly remember this game.

CN: I’ll take that bet.

Blue: I’m sorry, but this is just awful writing. I felt like I was reading a post written by a 12-year-old on Rupp’s Rafters … Just stop. I know KSR has never really claimed to be chock full of quality journalists and that’s never really been their goal…But you’re writing is neither clever, nor informative, and, quite frankly, boring. Plus your attempts to be funny only magnify the shallowness of the article. Next, please.

CN: Wait, you keep track of twelve year olds on RR?  I bet you drive a van, don’t you?

sgunnKY: You haven’t been writing here long, but I already find myself looking forward to your 9am post. People who write with humor are my favorites to read!

CN: Thanks, I appreciate it. Maybe you could talk to Blue, make him not want to, you know, murder me quite so much.

That’s all for now, but be sure to keep track of the imminent DEREK WILLIS COMMITMENT at four today.  We’ll have updates as they come out.  Also, Drew, to answer your question about TV shows, Ms. Tyler Thompson is absolutely correct: definitely go with Mad Men.  It’s a man’s show, for men.

Article written by Corey Nichols

28 Comments for Charity AND Dodgeball? I’d be crazy not to go.

1. William J Le Petomane
    9:08 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

Go balls deep!!

2. HOO HOO
    9:13 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

Last UK national championship appearance the 1998, IU’s? 2002. Facts don’t lie, UK fans lie more than Corey’s mom in my bedroom.

3. Corey Nichols
    9:17 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

haha, only we won our last appearance, as opposed to being wiped out by maryland. and dorothy mantooth is a saint. if we’re going for most recent “almost got it”, then our last final four appearance was last year, while IU’s was, well, in 2002.

4. T.J.
    9:19 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

2- You never answered my questions from the previous post. If IU is better than UK, then wouldn’t that mean that Nebraska and Minnesota are better than IU? Like you say in every post you make, facts don’t lie. If you are comparing title appearances, then why don’t you compare ACTUAL titles? What about wins? Last Final Four appearance? Most NBA players? Last time each program was on probation? Most chairs thrown across the court? Most players strangled by their own coach?

5. Nutwrap
    9:22 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

I’M A MAN!!! I’M 40!!! That’s what (what’s it to ya) was referring to in his comment. Mike Gundy post game comments. Best one ever.

6. jman
    9:23 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

2- so what did she say that was a lie? “No, really, it’s not that small”.

7. brew
    9:23 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

what makes them UK fans? all the uk jerseys they are wearing? hum. nope.

8. Seriously
    9:25 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

@2 so what is your point?

9. OKso
    9:33 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

2 just makes points that make IU sound better than UK, but in fact if you were to say who was last to go to a final 4 or win a title then it would clearly be UK. Also if you want to talk relevance UK has won 9 of the meetings since the turn of the century. KTHXBYE

10. Al's IndiCats
    9:34 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

Good Grief #2 (which is pretty appropriate for the Hoosiers) since they’re play like it now! You of all people should troll in here. Good Lord you lost to Nebraska…..NE-freaking-braska!!!!!! Even UofL could beat Nebraska! You beat UK on a last second shot, that’s a given! But even a blind squirel finds a nut every now and then. You got your asses handed to you for the last 3 games, Facts don’t lie ha ha ha ha.
    Although I do not know CorEy’s Mom, and I’m sure you don’t either, the questions I have for you is…..

(1) How did you get a life sized cut out of her?
    (2) Do you even date? Will your mother let you have “mixed” parties?
    (3) I know how you could have drunken sex! Just pour beer over your right hand.
    (4) IU’s destined for the N.I.T. Like your HERO (Bobby Knight) once said many moons ago, If it’s inevitable just lay back and enjoy it ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

11. Corey's Mom
    9:50 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

2) The biggest lie, was when I told you it wasn’t the smallest I had ever seen.

12. Al B. Sure
    9:50 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

Great post, Corey!

13. Abe Froman
    9:54 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know about the rest of you but I think Corey is a pretty good writer with the potential to one day be among the likes of Bryan the Intern (who is hopefully not dead).

You’re gonna go far, kid.

14. Jax Teller
    10:02 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

Thanks Corey and kc and jojo. After your post all I couldn’t get “All my life” out of my head, it’s got me going crazy, crazy, crazy.

15. wilDCat
    10:13 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

Corey, so is there going to be a KSR team entered into the tournament? Matt, Drew, Tyler, and/or whoever playing dodgeball, combine with a video and/or podcast, sounds like something I would love to read about.

16. HOSS_CAT
    10:14 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

I’d light them up at dodge ball.

17. HOSS_CAT
    10:19 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

#10 keep dreaming on IU being in the NIT. They’ll be in the ncaa tourny probably every year until Crean leaves. He’s a dang good coach. He was just playing with water boys and band geeks when he first go there. Not everyone can recruit right off the bat at a new place like Cal can. It’s fans like you that makes the fan base look stupid. You go saying every that beats UK is destined for the NIT. How does that make our team look?

18. CatomicBomb
    10:23 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

“If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball”!

19. capt. price
    10:23 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

I’m so very tempted to get a team for this tournament!

20. IndyCatFan
    10:45 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

Blue (dude who called you out for not beaing a quality journalist) used “you’re” when he should have used “your” and you didn’t crush him for it?! ps if this comment doesn’t make the next mailbag, i’m not gonna comment again until the next mailbag

21. Fred
    10:52 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

fna Cotton… fna….

22. You Can Call Me Cal
    11:32 am January 20, 2012 Permalink

Why do all your posts have to be so long? I’m a smart guy, but I can’t focus long enough to read the entire thing. You may be a good writer, but I’ll probably never know because you’re not a good enough writer to make me want to read all that stuff.

23. sgunnKY
    12:06 pm January 20, 2012 Permalink

Sorry Corey, no can do do… I have a clear “no chodes” rule. Clearly this “Blue” guy is overcompensating for something though.

24. Rockbottom70
    12:17 pm January 20, 2012 Permalink

Justified is better, but I enjoy your posts regardless.

25. 502Cat
    1:21 pm January 20, 2012 Permalink

Does Corey’s mom like to play dodgeball?

26. catfaninrockytop
    1:38 pm January 20, 2012 Permalink

Lol @#6

Please keep this going, it makes winding the week down even better.

27. A Concerned Dodgeballer
    2:05 pm January 20, 2012 Permalink

Why didn’t you post the picture of the “Browdown” team on here? They created unibrows with eye black and were decked out in UK gear; what more do you want?

28. chacoma
    8:52 pm January 20, 2012 Permalink

Love the articles!! Your writing skills (and grammar skills) put these nay-sayers/Schmucks in their place…and as for your mom…I’ll bet she would be kind enough to feed these these Schmucks dinner sometime…even though they speak about her with less tact than an 8th grader in d-hall…