Randle_Julius279

Next year’s draft will be as good as this year’s was bad. With the most talented incoming freshmen class in recent memory, the draft will be loaded with top-notch players, the most heralded being Andrew Wiggins. However, Chad Ford said in his weekly chat today that there’s a chance that Julius Randle could be the number one pick over Andrew Wiggins if Wiggins stumbles next season:

John (Kentucky): Any chance Randle beats out Wiggins for the No. 1 pick?

Chad Ford: Sure. In any other draft, he’d be the consensus No. 1 pick. He’s a beast of a low post player — blessed with strength, athleticism, and a very polished inside/outside game. As long as Calapari can convince him not to fall in love with his jump shot, he’s got a chance to be the most dominant big man in the country. Teams always covet players like Randle and if Wiggins stumbles, they’ll jump.

After watching this video, it might not be such a stretch after all:

41 Comments for Chad Ford says there’s a chance Julius Randle could go 1st over Andrew Wiggins in 2014

1. Wildcat Mike
    4:04 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

So what I’m getting from this is that Randle could be our best player since LeRoy Edwards, who was our very first one-and-done in 1935: http://bit.ly/15ev8yK

2. Lamont
    4:09 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

Chad Ford is still insisting that Norlens Noel will go first in the 2013 draft
    How about playing a few games first
    Any creepy ass cracker can put together a mock draft

3. Thompson's Tyler
    4:09 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

4. kentucky effect
    4:10 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

kentucky effect

5. Hoops Malone
    4:10 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

LeBron Randle!!!

6. JROBTMFHT
    4:14 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

I feel like there will be a couple of lottery teams that will be in dire need of a power forward and solid at the three. Sometimes need trumps want. There will be teams better suited to compete right away by adding Randle instead of Wiggins.

7. T-Rex
    4:15 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

I cannot wait to see this guy play.

8. truth.com
    4:17 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

I believe this..remember when everyone thought Shabazz was going to be number 1 this year. Thats how wiggins going be under Self

9. Trapaholic
    4:18 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

He’ll wrinkle your school clothes, and steal your lunch money! J.Randle!

10. Jackass Plumber
    4:29 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

The same Chad Ford that said Nerlens would still go #1???

Yeaaaaaaahhhhh

11. Extremely-intelligent
    4:44 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

#2 And any idiot can say “cracker” and call himself “Lamont.” In fact, idiots do this quite often.

12. Lamont
    4:51 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

I live in my mom’s basement and collect bobbleheads of famous pedofiles!

13. Catfan1
    4:57 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

Really? Like Chad Ford has any credibility after the Nerlens debacle? Love Randle hope he is right! But I wouldn’t put my money on Chad Ford.

14. Parker
    4:57 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

of course there is a “chance” but i think we will have 5 top ten players
    Randel
    Willie
    Dakari
    Andrew
    Aaron
    Young.. well maybe ALEX too hell could we own top 10?

15. lesigh
    4:58 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

The moniker “beast” is too often used in describing young players. That said, Randle deserves it.

16. essl
    4:59 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

Like the highlights, but’dominating open gym’ does not mean he is the #1 pick next year. It doesn’t mean that he isn’t going #1, it’s just not a valid point of reference.

17. O T I S
    5:09 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

Terry Rozier is going #1 in the draft sorry UK fans.

18. L1C4 is LAME
    5:14 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

Terry rozier?? Lol. They really r stupid and talk sports out their ass. Surprised they didnt say that gunnin ass,overrated puss smith.

19. Reality Check
    5:18 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

Chances Wiggins goes #2 are just about ZERO.
    Love Randall but an Andrew Wiggins comes around about once every 10 years.

20. Boogie
    5:26 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

Julius Randle is bigger and much stronger than Andrew Wiggins and I’d put my money on Julius Randle in a 3 point shooting contest between the two. People keep saying “players like wiggins come around every 10 years.” Kid can run and jump off the charts but other than that, he’s an average shooter, average rebounder, and below average passer.

21. kramer
    5:28 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

Let’s let the kid play at UK first, and not rush him out the door!!

22. Laker Cat 18
    5:34 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

When you snub UK, you drop in the draft. It’s proven. See Leslie and Shabazz. Wiggins is better than those two, but when you’re in a stacked draft class like next year, you never know.

23. Rei
    5:35 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

I really don’t think Wiggins is the “next Lebron” by any stretch. Sure, the kid is good, but that good? No way. There’s no way he flourishes under Self either. The kid is an attention seeker and will probably irritate his teammates more than anything with selfish play. Not to mention he isn’t very strong and can’t shoot the 3.

24. Austin
    5:35 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

I am not sold that Wiggins is a once in a generation type guy. I think he will be a hall of fame type player, but I am not convinced that he is better than Dominique Wilkins. If he turns out to be Nique, that is a great player. But it isn’t anything to go crazy about. If he doesn’t develop, he is a rich man’s Rudy Gay. Still, that would be a really good player. But not quite worthy of the attention he gets. The kid is an amazing athlete, I hope he puts it all together and becomes great.

As for Randle, I am impressed by that video. These kids all look great in those videos. We will see if how he stacks up next year.

25. Bob
    6:21 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

If Wiggins stumbles Randle could go #1? Truly profound statement there. Going out on a limb big time.

26. Joe
    6:26 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

Randle is a beast but that video was pretty weak. Was he playing against his neighbors?

27. come on
    6:53 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

After reading what Demarcus said about Randle….
    In Boogie I believe.

28. CourtsideCharlie
    7:00 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

For the readers who actually played basketball: you’re at Public Park USA and get first pick for 3 on 3, playing to 21. Do you pick Wiggins or Randle for your team? (Random question)

29. L1C4oreskin
    7:25 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

Chane Behanan will dominate him. (in a dick sucking contest)

30. bdown
    7:28 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

He looks like lebron james

31. smithshutdownbyfrseshmanchristmas2013
    7:37 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

John Wall is a once and 10 years players, heck, he was almost as good as louisville wished siva would’ve been

32. Boogie
    7:38 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

@28. I’d pick Julius Randle. He can beat you with his body in the post. Wiggins’ little frame couldn’t ale the beating. Wiggins needs other players to feed off of. Julius is much better midrange and in the post. Assuming its a half court game, wiggins would be relatively useless. Can’t create anything

33. Lamont
    7:43 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

I fancy myself a writer. My first novella will be called “Creepy Ass Cracker.” It’s a heart-rendering story of a rather dim-witted loser named Lamont who trolls cyberspace looking for love and fulfillment.

34. Jim
    8:30 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

I thought that Wiggins and Parker were suppose to be the top two players in this class and everyone else was just a notch below them two? I would take Randle over them 2 anyday.

35. Jim
    8:32 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

To me Randle is more like a LeBron, Wiggins is more like a more athletic Kobe, and Parker is basically just like Melo. I think Randle is about to surprise alot of people and pull off a year similar to what Anthony Davis did a couple seasons ago.

36. Hmm
    8:48 pm July 3, 2013 Permalink

So what happens if Randle stumbles just like Kyle, Archie, Ryan and Alex?

37. Linda Taylor
    1:59 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

One thing that we know for sure is Randle’s work ethic is off the charts. That will take him farther than anything. It means he will get the most out of his talents. He will never stop working to get better. I’m not sure that can be said of Wiggins. Time will tell. I am very happy with having Randle on our team. His example and intensity will push the rest of the team to work hard every day to improve and become the best team possible. It is going to be a great fall and winter.

38. CatsFan
    10:43 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

Randle is going to be one of the best PF’s to play at UK ever IMO. He is fluid, athletic, has an NBA build, and looks like the next UK#1 pick asshats.

39. Now listen...
    10:48 am July 4, 2013 Permalink

Let’s not start doubting Wiggins. That kid is an ELITE athlete with great fundamentals. He’ll be a superstar. Just because he didn’t come to UK is no reason to say “he’s not THAT good” because he is.

Julius Randle is just as good as Wiggins and, if you’re talking pure basketball skills right now, probably better. He’s got a touch around the basket that is unreal for a kid his age and handles and a first step that are amazing for a kid his size. He’s got much more Lebron in his game than Wiggins does. Wiggins is a prototypical slashing wing with RIDICULOUS hops and length that make him a match up nightmare for almost anyone. Randle is just a bully who can cross you over and dunk on the help defender or push you down in the post and put the work on you.

40. Nerlens
    2:26 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

39 – Nobody is doubting Wiggins. He is the real deal. We wanted him, but he didn’t want to be here. He is the logical choice for #1 at this stage and I would say there is a 95% chance he is the #1 pick in next years draft.

That said, Randle is a BEAST. In most drafts, he would be the #1 pick without any question. We are very deep in talent this season and it was a great recruiting class this year(probably best ever), but primarily because of Randle. He will be a load for every team in college basketball to defend.

41. You can call me Cal
    3:58 pm July 4, 2013 Permalink

You didn’t tell me he was a lefty!!!