Goodwin_Archie_TV Head 12-13

It feels like it’s been a while since we’ve had some positive draft news about Archie Goodwin. Most analysts now think he’ll be a second round pick, but ESPN’s Chad Ford said today that he thinks teams with the 15th pick on are “crazy not to roll the dice” on young players like Archie in this year’s weak draft:

Kevin (WV): I still say Archie Goodwin slips into the bottom of the first! Are you saying there is no chance?

Chad Ford (1:50 PM): Not saying that. In fact, personally, I think teams drafting from 15 on are crazy not to roll the dice with younger players like Ricky Ledo, Antetoukounmpo, Tony Mitchell and Goodwin. Their sin is that they are in the draft too early. But upside is so much higher than so many players in the draft. Could they bust? Sure. But I might be willing to gamble given what I’d lose is a solid rotation player.

Today, Archie works out for the Portland Trail Blazers, along with Myck Kabongo, Phil Pressey, Mason Plumlee, Dewayne Dedmon, and EJ Singler. Portland has the 10th, 39th, 40th, and 45th picks in the draft. In fact, DraftExpress’ latest mock draft has Archie going 39th to the Trailblazers, and Nerlens first to the Cavs.

Ford also downplayed rumors that the Cleveland Cavaliers are leaning towards using their number one pick on Alex Len and not Nerlens Noel, saying that until he hears otherwise, he expects the Cavs to take Nerlens first.

Do us proud, boys.

16 Comments for Chad Ford says teams from the 15th pick on are “crazy not to roll the dice” on Archie

1. Laker Cat 18
    4:08 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Hopefully even in the D-league, Archie will develop his shot and become a better player. Nothing but support for the guy. He’s a Cat forever.

2. Bruce Dickinson
    4:10 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

I’ve gotta have more air raid siren baby!

3. Mac
    4:13 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Does Lee have the handling skills an strength to grow into more of a 3 rather than 4, cause he would make us exponentially more dangerous as a high flyer on offense while retaining his inherent shot blocking on defense if Cal can sub in shooters Young and Wilter at the 2 and 4 respectively without loses game pace and defensive effectivity, which is a new word.

4. Mac
    4:15 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

*losing
    (Which we won’t be doing any of)

5. DH
    4:22 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

2) That was awesome! I got a fever, and the only cure is more air raid siren! Regarding this post, I’m with you, Laker Cat. I wish nothing but success for Archie. He always played with heart, even if he didn’t always make the best decisions

6. SeaCat
    4:44 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

A person can’t change his shot after he is 16-17 years old.
    Probably can’t change his dribbling either.
    Muscle memory gets hard wired in the cerebellum of the brain.
    The cerebellum unconsciously controls over 200 muscles at a time.
    I fear Archie has little chance of improving his shot
    or his head down looking at the ball dribbling, but
    he is still young.
    You may have noticed how Rondo’s horrid shot has never
    improved over the years.

7. She's A Caawp!
    4:44 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Archie has the talent, that’s for sure, he just needs a better basketball IQ. The problem with him last season (one that brought much distain, and criticism from the UK faithful, at times a bit unfairly) is that Archie came form a place where he was the best player on the floor almost every time out (High School), but unlike others he never figured out how to change his game to match the improved skill of those around him. If you remember, Boogie had the same problem for about half the season in his year at UK, but righted the ship by the time the SEC tournament came around.

Hopefully Archie will realize that he can’t just put his head down and get to the rack whenever he want’s, as he saw last season it doesn’t work after HS.

Good luck to you Archie!

8. Laker Cat 18
    5:01 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

6. Your brain never fully develops until the mid-twenties. He has plenty of time to improve his shot. Rondo is a totally different type of player. He doesn’t really even have to improve his shot because he is superior at so many other aspects of the game. He’s pass first, while Archie is obviously not.

9. BlueTruth
    5:12 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Why would anyone waste their time on is kid?

10. MN CAT
    5:46 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

6. Lots of players have drastically improved their shot after reaching the NBA. So, whatever the truth is about muscle memory must be compatible with this fact.

11. tvillian
    5:49 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

eat they feet

12. Chad's mother's merkin
    7:54 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

If I wanted a guard that couldn’t shoot, couldn’t handle the ball, and fell down on EVERY shot attempt, then I would definitely draft Archie.

13. #3
    8:01 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

The word “efficiency” eluded you, and your vocabulary betrayed you.

14. Larry Linebeard
    8:50 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

If they start awarding bonus points for throwing the ball off the shot clock he could sneak into the top 5

15. TMAN
    9:27 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Really wish Archie the best. He does work very hard, Coach Cal said so. Coach also said he is not coachable. That will probably change with maturity and a need to get a pay check.

The real question is: Can he adjust/improve his jump shot enough to be real scoring threat in the NBA, a scoring threat he was not in college?

I believe the answer is yes, because his fundamentals are not SO BAD like RONDO, or Tebow in football, that adjustments can’t be made. Having said that, as an NBA owner, do I need to wait on an Archie Goodwin and pay him big bucks while I wait. Answer, absolutely NOT. Archie is not a lock down defender, doesn’t have great size, doesn’t have point guard skills, in short, doesn’t give me any reason to draft him.

16. Dick Pitino
    9:50 pm June 19, 2013 Permalink

Before I wasted a 1st round pick on Archie, I would just decline the pick and save my team the money.