Chad Ford says recent play has damaged Poythress and Goodwin’s stocks

How much has Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress’ poor performance as of late hurt their draft stocks? ESPN NBA Insider Chad Ford addressed the topic during his weekly chat this afternoon:

Poythress and Goodwin have really done damage to their draft stocks the past few weeks. Both were considered by scouts to be Top 10 picks before the season began. Poythress still clinging to the end of the lottery. Goodwin now out of it. Cauley-Stein flubbed his first game starting in place of Nerlens Noel. Scouts love the upside, but he’s going to have to produce to stay in the lottery.

Ford also says that every GM and scout he’s spoken to still believes that Nerlens Noel is a Top 5 draft pick if his rehab goes well, and with Andrew Wiggins coming in next season, it’s not likely he’d be the top pick in the 2014 draft anyways.

The NBA trade deadline is tomorrow, and it looks like Eric Bledsoe may find a new home. Ford says that Bledsoe may end up moving to Salt Lake City to join Enes Kanter and the Jazz:

Bledsoe is a perfect fit for them. Of all the trade rumblings we’ve heard the past few weeks a Bledsoe for Millsap swap seems to be the one that makes the most sense for both teams. Millsap is a player who could push them over the top in the West. Bledsoe is the perfect candidate to run a team like the Jazz. If the Jazz sweeten the offer to include Alec Burks or a first round pick, will the Clippers bite. I could see it happening.

Go Bledsoe. Go Cats.

74 Comments for Chad Ford says recent play has damaged Poythress and Goodwin’s stocks

1. eh...
    3:35 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

First?

2. Laker Cat 18
    3:35 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

No kidding. This Ford guy should be paid for his analysis of the game of basketball.

3. eh...
    3:35 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

You gotta admire my lack of confidence

4. Fitch Slap
    3:37 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

In other news, grass is green and the sky is blue. Can we become draft insiders by making such astute observations as Mr. Ford?!

5. eh...
    3:37 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

If I owned an NBA team and my GM drafted one of these guys in either round, I’d fire him on the spot.

6. Gandalf the Blue
    3:41 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

If Archie or Alex were to leave and get drafted in the lottery then I lose all faith in modern basketball as it is

7. Dave
    3:42 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

It is one helluva a weak draft when either of these three guys are close to the lottery.

I can almost understand WCS because of his size.

The other two. What do they have? What have they shown? Well..aside from an ability to lose against anything resembling a competitive team?

Goodwin and Poythress remind of me of the Team Turmoil days of Carruth, Chiles and Parker.

They will never make it to a second contract in the NBA. NEVER.

But they are both too ignorant to see that or that it’s the second contract and not the first that matters.

8. WEAK STOCK
    3:46 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

if you draft them on the same idea cal did……..good luck

9. bosshogg24
    3:51 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Both Alex and Archie need to change their game immediately starting tonight! They both need to shoot some 3’s and some 15 foot jump shots and quit trying to make lay ups only and running over people!

It is insanity to keep playing they way they have been and I wish someone close to them would tell them!

Archie, the #1 shooting guard out of high school has one 3 pointer in conference play!

10. UKfaninNC
    3:52 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Come on, everyone. We’ve got to get on the Calipari bandwagon. Why do you think he backtracked on the “uncoachable” comment so fast? He realized that if the GMs got wind of that, they would never be drafted and he’d be stuck with them next year. We need to push the meme that they are awesome and maybe some NBA team will take them off our hands 🙂

11. RahRah
    3:53 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Fair enough.

12. Cat89
    3:55 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I just can’t get my mind around how there CAN’T be 30+ more guys available in this year’s NBA draft that ARE NOT more attractive than any of our players. I truly mean no disrespect but we are still talking first round of the NBA draft? They are freshmen on a team that likely won’t make the NCAA tournament. If they are drafted they won’t be playing in the NBA, they will be in the D-League. If they don’t produce there what kind of employment will they have with no degree? If not at UK, and I hope they are, they need to be back somewhere playing ball in college.

13. Minchia
    3:58 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

It would be best for Archie and Alex to go into the draft, their stock will not improve and the draft is weak this year. Plus, it would be better for UK if they leave. Best for all concerned.

14. Some Guy
    3:59 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

9) Is it the players or Cal that pushes this drive mentality? They seemed to shoot more jump shots earlier in the year. Why would they change like that unless told to.

15. STEVE!
    4:00 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

If the season melts down and these guys declare for the NBA, I won’t be able to watch the Draft and enjoy and celebrate it the way I have the past three years. Just the opposite. It will be an embarassment to hear “Kentucky had X First Round draft picks and couldn’t even get an invitation to the NCAA Tournament!”

16. Steve
    4:00 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

The adventures of the Pine brothers: Alex and Archie.

17. UKfaninNC
    4:01 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

14) Cal has said that Archie is not allowed to shoot layups in practice…he has to shoot jumpshots. I’m thinking he is one of the “uncoachable” ones if he keeps reverting to layups.

18. SexnNursinHomes
    4:04 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

12- I hear ya and it makes perfect sense, but that job with a college degree is a myth in 2013. People are not hiring and a college degree is pretty useless unless you get a Masters or a Phd.

19. Mark Liptak
    4:04 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Not surprised at this at all. Next year Hood, Polson, Wiltjer and Harrow will return along with I suspect one of the following three: Noel, Goddwin or Poythress.

That gives Cal some experience to go along with the superstar talent coming in. Oh it also gives him a ton of depth.

Mark Liptak

20. Laker Cat 18
    4:08 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t notice it at first, but the picture on this post is ironic. Goodwin and Poythress palming their basketballs upside down compared to the others.

21. BNClay
    4:13 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Bledsoe for Millsap is a good idea for both teams. Jazz might try to also get Jordan from the Clippes but no way the give up Millsap and a 1st rounder for Bledsoe for just Bledsoe.

22. CvilleWildcat
    4:15 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

#20…thats the first thing I noticed. It is ironic that the two palming with the UK and swoosh correct are the only two out of the 4 who are/were producing. Uncle Julius was in a funk but he got out of it to be someone Cal can count on to score and suprisingly has been playing better defense.

23. Complainers
    4:16 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I am sick of the ignorance from some of the BBN basically saying that Poythress and Goodwin are worthless. They’re playing like Freshman, news flash, they are Freshman. Look at Jones and Teague. They both struggled in spurts of their Freshman year, but they had older guys there to compensate. The reality is we have two extremely raw Freshman in these two that are taking longer to finder their ‘niche’, and honestly, I hope they don’t leave and come back next year to shut all you nay-sayers up. There is a spot in the NBA for both these guys when their time comes. People who say otherwise are clueless. And if the NBA draft solely on potential, Archie Goodwin is a top-10 pick all day. The kid is a freak athlete, long, and can drive. He’s just got to learn to let the game come to him.

24. Fitch Slap
    4:19 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

20) It means they’re in the Illuminati. Pass it on.

25. WHAT?!
    4:20 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

How in the hell is poythress still a projected lottery pick? how the hell was he one after the first 10 games?! he hasnt done shit all year. He cant shoot. he takes it up to the rim weak as hell. he cant dribble like a guy his size should. and he hasnt done one thing this year that i could call an athletic play… an NBA GM would be stupid to waste a lottery pick on him.

26. WHAT?!
    4:22 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

And congrats to Bledsoe couldnt be happier that he could very well have a starting job soon!

27. ha
    4:24 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

#25…have you watched any games? While Poythress’ lapses have outnumbered his athletic plays it seems this year, to say what you just said is plain stupidity. There were 3 or 4 athletic plays in the Duke game alone. And that’s not bad competition to do it against.

28. Hopeful
    4:27 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Maybe, just maybe a plunge in their draft stock will be the one thing that will motivate these guys to play up to their potential. Winning games for UK didn’t motivate them, hoepfully this is the fire they needed to showcase their abilities consistently that we’ve seen at glimpses throughout the season.

29. MRW_BBN
    4:27 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Seems about right that Archie and Alex both are holding the basketball upside down. Neither one of them have a clue. Basketball IQ = 0!!

30. Go Away
    4:31 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Goodwin needs to step it up so he can leave this year. He will be forgotten in the mix if he sticks around another year. Poythress needs another year…maybe he can be another Terence Jones. He could also get lost in the mix though.

31. Not for the Faint-Hearted
    4:34 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I wonder if potential recruits read these posts. I hope and pray they don’t. This is some downright nasty stuff being said about our players.

32. WHAT?!
    4:36 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

#27… yes i have watched every game. let me reiterate what I meant by that. yes he has had some athletic plays and played pretty well at the beginning of the season, But not once have i watched poythress play and think “Oh hes a lottery pick for sure!” If he has all this talent everyone has been so highly speaking of where has it been all conference play when we need it? If he is not stepping up by the time the conference tournament comes around then UK has no chance at all

33. mudcreekmark
    4:36 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

They still have Poythress and Goodwin going in the first round when you have players that have actually proved that they can compete against players that are not in high school like Doug McDermott who is a first team All-American and a possible player of the year winner, DeShaun Thomas,Patric Young,Brandon Paul,Eric Murphy,Russ Smith, Isaiah Canaann,Phil Pressey,projected to go in the second round.There are a ton of players that aren’t even projected in either round that I would rather have than those two.

34. Al's IndiCats
    4:38 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

You know what 23? By the middle of the season Jones and Teague had made progress by leaps and bounds, with these two Alex and Archie there hasn’t been on ounce of progress since December. If I were an owner of a team and my GM drafted either one of these guys I’d ship his sorry ass to Afghanistan and let him scout the taliban for future drafts.
    Neither one of these guys would get a second contract. Now if they get their heads on straight and come back and LISTEN and LEARN they could have a career in the league. But right now if they were to go to the draft, we’d be hearing about them in the Euro league……If they could make THAT! To which I have my doubts. GO CATS!!!!!!

35. Anthony Davis Has A Posse
    4:38 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

@25 – Not true that Poythress can’t shoot. 41% from three, 58% from the floor – That is about the only impressive part of his game so far. Granted, a lot of that is due to how timid he is when it comes to taking a contested shot, but to say he “can’t shoot” isn’t fair – better to say he “won’t shoot”. Ditto on the Bledsoe comment, though. Hope he gets in situation he can continue to develop and succeed.

@Everyone – Bottom line – “NBA Readiness” is irrelevant. These guys aren’t regarded like Nerlens Noel, an injury playing basketball for free could cost them millions in guaranteed money on their first contract. And don’t kid yourselves, they are playing in a free farm league for the NBA right now.

If you have an opportunity for guaranteed money (like a lottery pick does) you take it and don’t look back. Let the NBA GM’s deal with their mistake, if it is one. Who is to say they won’t polish their games in the D-League or on an NBA team getting spot minutes while getting compensated for their effort just as much as they could with another year in college? And maybe by staying, they don’t develop and hurt their stock even more or, worse, have a serious injury? Not worth the risk to keep playing and making someone else money when you could be making money for yourself. *steps down from soapbox*

36. Mc
    4:39 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

#23. I get what you’re saying, and I don’t disagree entirely. But I do disagree where you say Teague had older guys to compensate.
    Miller-Senior; Jones Lamb-Soph; Teague, MKG, Davis, Wilt-Frosh
    Mays-Senior; Harrow and Wilt-Soph; Noel, WCS, Poythress, and Goodwin-Frosh
    The difference is simply that they aren’t as good as the freshmen we’ve seen come through the past few years. Simple as that. I don’t mind if Poythress comes back off the bench. Goodwin, I’d like to see go since he can’t play out of control and makes countless selfish plays. Yes he has “potential” and is athletic. However, if he doesn’t learn to shoot more consistently at least from mid-range, and doesn’t learn to play more unselfishly he’ll never make it. It’s his choice. He’s going pro regardless if he’s a first round pick. No way he stays.

37. Mc
    4:40 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

*can’t play in control

38. Laker Cat 18
    4:41 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

23. Effort my man. It has nothing to do with talent, raw freshmen, or youth. I can deal with those factors, but I can not deal with no effort, heart, or passion for the game. I have middle schoolers who fight harder in practice and games than these two.

39. ha
    4:41 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

32..ungodly weak draft and NBA drafts a lot on potential = Poythress not a long shot at the lottery.

31..I agree, its sad that 18 year old kids get attacked like that by their own fanbase. Its called ignorance. Sadly, the BBN has a lot of it. Pationate, but ignorant.

40. Joe
    4:42 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Alex poythress is the reincarnate of Richard Madison. Archie Goodwin plays like he’s drunk

41. Laker Cat 18
    4:44 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

35. And I second that. Poythress at one point had the best field goal percentage in the nation if I’m not mistaken. He needs to shoot! Why doesn’t he shoot more? Maybe someone can answer that question for me.

42. Al's IndiCats
    4:45 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

31, that’s for sure there has a ton of negativity recently, but dog gone it they seem to be lost in every game. If new recruits are reading this they’ll know that Cal is the real deal……listen to what he says and you’ll be in the top ten in the draft, if you don’t you’ll be raked over the coals like this. The choice is theirs!

43. Laker Cat 18
    4:46 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

31. I can’t speak for all, but personally I wouldn’t put anything on these boards that I wouldn’t say to a recruits face. If you don’t want to put in the work and put forth an effort, you don’t belong here and we don’t need you. It’s that simple.

44. Freshman
    4:47 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I wholely disagree with much of the nastiest posted here, and believe it reflects only the opinions of the most ignorant of our fans.

These guys are young, they didn’t live up to their lofty hype, but they are still very talented players. I, for one, would hope that if their draft stock falls far enough they will come back and make a stacked team next year even more dominant, and most importantly more experienced as well.

Although they overachieved at the end, knights year was very similar in some ways and was followed by a national championship.

I support them fully and just think some guys need more time. They will play much more comfortably next year after the obnoxious one and done expectations are lifted from them.

Yes they have work to do, but they are quite talented and their time this summer will afford them just the time they need to improve.

45. Complainers
    4:48 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

38..agreed, but that’s all they lack. Tired of people bashing them for not being the same type of players we’ve had in the past though. No excuse for lack of effort. But to just rip on a kid saying he basically sucks is wrong.

46. Urincatland
    4:49 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

#9, I can see why Goodwin isn’t shooting 3’s, hell he can’t them. He’s a horrible 3 point shooter!!

47. WHAT?!
    4:49 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

#35… i can agree with that. I just hope that tonight Goodwin and Poythress can make me and the other people on here eat our words. but we shall see…

48. Devastation INC
    4:50 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

31- they just might and they are told upfront that it’s not for everyone. We cant hide you here. Upside to dealing with this is if you can handle it like bledsoe, then start looking for vacation homes and fast cars. Oh yeah and buy a lot of condoms.

49. Complainers
    4:50 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

44..amen brother. Couldn’t say it any better.

50. Laker Cat 18
    4:52 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

45. You’re right about that. They don’t suck and are far from bad players. I guess to see Cal’s system work on pretty much all of the players that come through here on a quicker pace has some of us spoiled.

51. mudcreekmark
    4:55 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Talent-a special ability that allows someone to do something well.
    This is the dictionary’s definition of talent.Everyone keeps saying that Goodwin and Poythress are really talented but I beg to differ. To me basketball talent would be the following: 1.Dribbling,2.Passing,3.Shooting,4.Defense,.5.Rebounding,6.Hustle Plays,7.Basketball I.Q.(which to me would be an ability to see plays develop before they happen thus enabling a player to make a basketball play because of this ability)Out of those 7 basketball talents how many do these two have? Goodwin can dribble a little bit but according to the definition he would have to have a special ability so I don’t even know if that one would even count and with Poythress the only one I would give credit to him would be shooting, because he has shown that he has a special ability to hit the three. But that would be it for him too. One special ability out of seven for both of them and that is being kind.

52. Complainers
    5:04 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

51..if you honestly believe that these two don’t have talent you are dumb as shit. I don’t care what Webster’s dictionary defines it as, these two have the ability/talent to play basketball at a high level. I can tell you from experience that the jump from high school sports to college is a bit of a learning curve and it just so happens these two are taking a little longer to adjust. You are one of the ignorant ones.

53. Scott
    5:08 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

We should have known…..the picture above warned us…. poythress and goodwin are holding their basketball upside down. the other 3 got it right.

54. mudcreekmark
    5:25 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

52) Instead of name calling please tell me which of these abilities do these two have? Running fast,jumping high or being tall is not a basketball talent. These two kids are athletic but not talented. Again tell me how good either on can dribble, shoot, pass, rebound, defend,hustle,or tell me how brilliant their basketball mind is.

55. UK Cheer Coach
    5:29 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

52)Jumping from high school cheerleading to college cheerleading doesn’t count.

56. Complainers
    5:40 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

54..look up the defintion in your Websters handbook for stupid. That is what your comment about them being talented is. They meet your 7 generic guidelines pretty well even if it is not up to the standard we have been spoiled with the past 3 years.

55..clever little response, but the toughest position on the football field sure does count. It isn’t easy going from high school quarterback to starting your freshmen year in college. It wasn’t at the major level like these kids are at but at any level its going to be tough.

57. Governor
    5:44 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Word out in Clarksville is that Alex is very unhappy with the way Cal has treated him and is homesick and will transfer to Austin Peay if things do not improve. He has given up and had realized that he is not going to play next season with all of the new players that will be here.His family is pissed also and want him home. He will finish the year and make a final decision but the rumors are hot that he will be a Governor in two years!

58. Julia
    5:59 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I have no problem with guys jumping in early if they earn it. My problem is if they suck it up and get drafted based solely on “potential” determined by high school stats.

And 57.) Austin Peay? How about spreading a rumor that actually makes sense.

59. mudcreekmark
    6:00 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

57)Did Cal hurt his wittle felwins?

60. Wildcatsteeler
    6:00 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

How fitting that Goodwin and Poythress both have the basketballs upside down and neither insured the UK logo was out.

61. bung
    6:01 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I hope the boys play tonight like Kyle Issel, Wah Wah Hood, Jimmy Dan Mays, Willie Cousins, and Jarrod Dampier…with Alex Pratt off the bench

62. mudcreekmark
    6:03 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

61) How about Archie Stockton?

63. bung
    6:04 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

transition baskets….up tempo…fast break…score more points than the other guys…

64. Hood'sBrokenJumper
    6:14 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Goodwin and Poythress are about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop. The need to transfer to EKU. Hate the dirty birds, but 2 star Russ smith is better than both of them combined.

65. Keon Grant
    6:25 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I have also heard that he was going home to Austin Peay. Not very many places he could go and play as bad as he has played this year.Would be a great place to go and improve for a year and then play and be an MVP in the OVC. Do you see him playing more next year as this year? No, he is not happy with Cal and will be in his best interest if he leaves as he is not NBA ready

66. jim jim
    6:25 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Hell, I am more ready for the NBA draft than Poythress and Goodwin.

67. Strike 3
    6:27 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

He will not be back!

68. Mike
    6:32 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

The only place these duds should be drafted is the marine corps…maybe if they had a boot up their butt they would show some energy and a desire and willingness to lay it on the line.

69. Jdn1016
    7:09 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

Neither Poythress nor Goodwin would spend a minute with an NBA team for any part of their first contract. At least Archie shows the will to at least try to improve. Alex to me is the softest high profile player recruited to Kentucky in decades. Poythress is the biggest disappointment since Rod Rhodes or Richard Madison. How could any NBA team draft either of these kids?

70. Julia
    7:14 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

65. But he would get no exposure whatsoever. He would be pretty much admitting that he isn’t cut out for the NBA, because draft picks from mid majors have to truly shine in the conference to make that jump. Plus, he would have to be on a good OVC team, and from two minutes of research I discovered Austin Peay wants to get rid of their coach. Transferring at the same time as a coaching change in a mid major wouldn’t help much, since Austin Peay isn’t as likely to make a quick turnaround as Kentucky. They are 7-20 this year. Sure he would get a free pass to play like he does, but it wouldn’t be much different in his development than playing AAU ball. He would be sending the message that he can’t play with the big boys and doesn’t want to develop enough to really compete, which would put the nail in the coffin for his professional career. I would hope that he really likes his major.

Our sixth men get drafted more often than OVC players. Kenneth Farried did it, but Morehead State made it to the tournament at least. Austin Peay gets no exposure. He would be better off at Memphis at least, because there he would at least get some attention. Playing at Austin Peay would mean he wants his ego stroked more than getting better.

71. Boom
    7:20 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I have heard the same rumors concerning Poythress sans the Austin Peay angle.

If true, how will he handle the NBA???

72. Jdn1016
    8:07 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think athletic ability is Poythress problem. He has ZERO heart. Being a competitor comes from within. Playing at a place like Kentucky demands you play with competitive spirit. Kentucky fans can be unrealistic but if you play hard and show you care that is all we can ask. I challenge any fan or even Alex himself to tell me he has shown what Cal calls a “will to win”. One of the most beloved teams in Kentuckys history was Pitinos first team that didn’t have a single player who could make an NBA roster. If these players don’t understand success comes from sacrifice and effort then it is best they move on to either the NBA or transfer to another program.

73. PIX2CLICK
    9:03 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

==== I just hope Willi Frank-N-Stein is moving on ……

He’s got his FULL CLOWN outit on tonight vs Vandy ….

Can’t play a lick,

but, damn I [email protected]@k slick !

I can’t think my headband, won’t shrink ….

COMPLETE JOKE !

====

74. d-bag (see above)
    10:26 pm February 20, 2013 Permalink

73) You are a clown. Go to hell.