Celine Dion’s Saturday News and Views

I first fell in love with Celine Dion’s angelic voice in fourth grade, when Titanic came out and I watched it at a friend’s house without my mother’s permission. I got in big trouble for that- I was one of those kids who literally wasn’t allowed to watch PG-13 movies until I was 13- but the swelling melody of My Heart Will Go On inspired me to buy the soundtrack and, when that was played out on my Discman, buy the sheet music to the theme and learn it myself on the piano. It didn’t get me a lot of dates (ten year old boys weren’t impressed, weirdly. College boys either, for that matter), but I was proud of myself, and it marked the beginning of my life-long respect and quiet obsession with the diva Celine Dion. In college, my friends and I would often belt out It’s All Coming Back before going out for the night, which is pretty normal, I think, and the song still gives me chills when I listen to it on a wistful Saturday night while drinking white wine. My mother went to Las Vegas for business once, and got me a Celine Dion shot glass that I cherish to this day, and my friendship with Havana Childers is pretty much completely based on the fact that she nannies a family with a beach house next door to Celine’s and will send me creepy pictures of the diva from a distance at least once every couple months. Sorry Havana, you had to know this was coming though.

Oh, I’m sorry, you want to hear more about Celine Dion and less about my weird obsession with her? Okay, fine. Celine Marie Claudette Dion was born into a large family in Quebec, making her the only Canadian I will ever like **except for Andrew Wiggins**, and rose to fame after her manager and future husband Rene Angelil mortgaged his home in order to make her record. They met when she as 12 and he was 38. Don’t think about that too much. After succeeding as a pop artist throughout the 1990s (including the aforementioned “titanic” success, LOL, in 1997), she took an unexpected break from singing in 1999 to focus on starting a family and spending time with her husband who had been diagnosed with cancer (because he was old. Really, really old). She returned triumphantly (in my eyes, at least) in 2002, when she signed a deal to perform nightly at Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas. She is the best selling Canadian artist of all time (SUCK IT, BIEBER) and is the only female artist to have two singles sell over a million copies in the UK.

I’m going to Vegas for a weekend in May. If I don’t see Celine perform, I have failed. Here’s your news and views, courtesy of Celine Dion video.

-Dominique Hawkins watch: no news. Hawkins did not hear today whether or not Calipari will offer him a scholarship, and with the high schooler’s spring break next week, we won’t be hearing anything until at least the week after that (the week of April 8th).

-However, Hawkins still started off his weekend on the right foot after winning the 2013 Mr. Basketball award for the state. On the women’s side, daughter of former Cat Anthony Epps and UK Hoops commit Makayla Epps took home the Miss Basketball title. In the past few weeks, the duo have both won Sweet 16 MVP, Gatorade State Player of the Year, and now Mr/Miss Basketball. With Epps, the Hoops team’s future looks even brighter; with Hawkins, this just makes him even more desirable to BBN. #ComeOnDown

-Speaking of UK Hoops, the team tips off against Delaware tomorrow at high noon on ESPN. We’ve got Matt, Drew, Wilder, and Hayley on site, so expect a higher-than-average ridiculous level when it comes to covering this Sweet 16 game.

-In more of the waiting game, Calipari met with Archie Goodwin, Alex Poythress, and Willie Cauley-Stein on Thursday evening to discuss their futures. I haven’t waited this impatiently for news since waiting for college acceptance letters. It’s less fun than I remember.

-Louisville won. Russ Smith scored a lot. The Cards looked good. That’s all I can muster.

-Coach Cal visited football practice today, and switched up the familiar blue pullover that we’ve all come to know and love and worry about its cleanliness for a more spring-y yellow zip up. Here’s the man himself with Frank Buffano, UK football’s director of operations:

Screen Shot 2013-03-29 at 8.06.16 PM

Willie Cauley-Stein has followed in Nerlens Noel’s footsteps all season, and apparently the rap game is no exception. Scroll down to hear Willie rap about shoes. Personally, I prefer Nelly. But that’s just me! Judge for yourself!

-The UK baseball team earned a walk-off walk (not a typo) against Georgia tonight to win 3-2. After ending regulation tied 2-2, Georgia walked five batters in the tenth inning, giving UK space to win the series opener. David Mulloy has the details here.

-On the football side of athletics, defensive tackle Donte Rumph underwent surgery today on his shoulder after being injured on Monday. He’s expected for return by fall.

-I’ve fully recovered from my SEC Tournament bender, so naturally I’m already planning my next trip to Music City. Luckily, tickets for UK’s season opener against WKU at LP Field are on sale now. Tyler Thompson had all the information for you earlier today.

-And in case you missed that amazing KU-Michigan game just now, I got this for you. Well, College Basketball Talk did, but I copied and pasted the embed code. Bill Self just keeps running out of time. Trey Burke, marry me?

If I were Celine Dion, I’d exit this post amidst a shower of rose petals while wearing a long, sparkly dress to thunderous applause and wolf whistles. Sadly, this is not the reality, so instead I’ll close my computer with a satisfying thump and wander off to see what’s in my freezer while wearing sweatpants and a v-neck. It’s a glamorous life I lead. See ya in the morning.

@KristenGeilKSR

Article written by Kristen Geil

60 Comments for Celine Dion’s Saturday News and Views

1. Hey
    10:33 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

UL did win, but they didn’t look good. Siva went full retard and Russ Smith hadn’t figured out this is a team sport. High school season is now over. It finally gets real for the Tards.

2. Ridge Runner
    10:37 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

Nothing against Kansas….but glad they lost & quit cutting into our overall “wins” both all time & in the tourney / F4.

3. Beatle Bum
    10:38 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

Cannot believe I waited this long for a Celine Dion/UK connection. It is about time!!!!

4. seenvic
    10:39 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

I haven’t seen a team snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in a long time like Kansas did tonight.

5. bigbluegdud
    10:40 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

We still lead KU in all-time wins: 2111 – 2101. They shaved 10 wins off our lead this year. Let’s see how it goes next season. 😉

6. Cleatonite
    10:46 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

Celine Dion? Really??? Wtf…. I like u Kristen, I really do but… Smh.

7. Mack
    10:48 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

What was this? Going to have to read the author’s name before I read these things.

8. MrObvious
    10:50 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

Um…..really? Only Canadian you will EVER like? So, you don’t want Wiggins? That’s what I thought.

9. 3SoMe
    10:51 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

I would enjoy you and CD, Make it happen!

10. 2014 Champs
    10:53 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

It has been reported the Siva, Russ, Behanan and a couple other players have been sick all week.

11. ReallyKristen
    10:54 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

Ditto to #8! Also “end of regulation”??? For a baseball game? That term is not used in that sport. Come on, man…I mean girl who writes for a sports website!

12. Big Perm
    10:56 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

I hate uofl, but Russ Smith is better than anyone on our team and is one of the best players in the country. There isn’t a player in college that can guard him one on one.

13. cracka
    10:59 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

i remember watching highlight videos of jarrod polson and elisha justice trying to figure out who i thought was better … both look better than what ive seen from hawkins … i like the idea of having a bench, but i just don’t expect anything out of dh

14. cracka
    11:02 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

11 end of regulation is after the ninth inning when the buzzer goes off, have you ever watched baseball?

15. Noel'sFade
    11:07 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

Being reported that William Wesley (Worldwide Wes) was ejected from the building in Indy. NCAA does not want him there. Good to hear. We don’t need pimps like him messing up the college game. They need to get rid of all these street agents.

16. UKinLA
    11:07 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

Who gives a shit about Celine Dion? I agree, #7. Check author first.

17. Matter of Time
    11:18 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

NCAA told security to keep “Worldwide Wes” out of media/team areas.

Whats up with this Matt Jones?

18. Fan-Dan-go
    11:23 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

Worldwide Wes needs to be kept away. The guy is scum. It is obvious he gets something in order to push kids to certain schools. He should be behind bars.

19. Rumor has it
    11:29 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

WCS = gone. Alex and Archie testing waters. Harrow stays. Wiltjer stays. Hood graduates. Wiggins to Cats in May. Gordon to Oregon. Hawkins to Purdue.

20. Poopy Pants
    11:41 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

Ol Uncle Wes is just looking for his future crops of nephews.

21. Tyler
    11:44 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

11) end of regulation by definition would work for baseball. Get a life and stop bashing the writers, I know for a fact you couldn’t do what they do

22. jumpman78
    11:47 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

18. He should be behind bars? LOFL. What crime has he committed?

23. Matter of Time
    11:50 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

LOS ANGELES — This NCAA tournament has already provided plenty of storylines, and, late Friday, we got another one. An odd one, yes. But another one, still.

It came courtesy of USA Today’s Dan Wolken.

Pictures of William “Worldwide Wes” Wesley have been distributed to guards.

What?

Why on Earth?

Turns out the NCAA wanted to ensure that Wes — as the famous powerbroker with close ties to Nike and Kentucky’s John Calipari is called by friends — didn’t make it into restricted areas at the Midwest Regional in Indianapolis. So the organization printed flyers with his picture and distributed them to security guards at Lucas Oil Stadium, like he’s Al-Qaeda No. 2 or something (The regional site representative confirmed the NCAA distributed the flyers). So bizarre. How about just not letting people who aren’t credentialed into credentialed areas, period? Why single out Wesley in a way that draws more attention to a wildly hypocritical governing body, especially when the NCAA has never really concerned itself with Wesley too much in the past?

There’s something to this story!

24. BlueCat
    11:59 pm March 29, 2013 Permalink

Sorry guys but I CANNOT pull for PUKE, go Cards! As for Celine, I’ll bend her over.

25. Ridge Runner
    12:13 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Sunday night…1/2 of me will be happy (Puke or Loserville loses) and 1/2 of me will be sad (1 of ’em will win).

That is my state of mind.

26. Brink
    12:25 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Never in my exsistance thought I could say this, but go Duke!!

27. Think about it
    12:25 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Celine Dion is the only Canadian you will ever like besides Andrew Wiggins isn’t a compliment to Canadians. But IU lost last night and Kansas lost tonight, so, I love you.

28. Frew Drunklin
    12:27 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Celine Dion needs a good ol’ donkey punch.

29. tokindastickyickyicky
    12:56 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Celine Dion she ugly and where da ass?

30. John Ellis
    1:00 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

K, Pitino, Boeheim, Marquette, Florida – what have you done to my game! Oh, well, my heart will go on.

Still possible that the lesser of evils – Wichita St., Michigan will make it and prevent the others. In Kentucky history, Marquette is actually the bete noir of bete noirs. Check their wins against UK.

31. SeaCat
    1:30 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Hayley???
    She is back???
    I thought you guys had fired her!?
    What is the deal?
    We want Hayley!!

32. Chicago Chris
    1:45 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Why would you just say you dislike Canadians. Appealing to the base by disliking anyone not from the US.

33. Culver
    2:02 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

I personally hope Stein leaves for the NBA…he’s becoming one of, if not the biggest prima donna in UK’s history. I can’t stand the f-er. He’s a punk. Now if for some reason Noel came back, I’d be thrilled. That young man is of high character, unlike Stein.

34. jymbo
    2:29 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

I saw Celine Dion in Vegas. Great show, one of the best I ever saw. I can’t pull for Duke at all, I’d cut my wrist first. At least the trophy will stay in Ky till w get it back next year.

35. L YES U CANT HOLD ME
    2:49 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

fIrst OF ALLL, wut bout dem cards tonight, we took care of bisness, mo than i say for uk cayuts, it iz wut it iz da game wuz brutiful

36. CameHereforUKNews
    3:01 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

If I wanted to know shit about Celine Dion, I’d have used Wikipedia.

Matt, is this the kind of shit you allow on your site? Awful.

37. BAdams
    3:58 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Willie is no shape ready for the NBA. They have him as a lottery only because of his potential, not his skill. Ask Terrence Jones how that goes. If he was smart he would come back and be a top 5 pick next year. He will spend most of his time in the D League. And if the $$$ is more importnant than being remembered for somethin good and winnin a title, then leave. I want players who want to be here.

38. BlueIndiana
    6:00 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Celine Dion? Really? All I could think about was the line from an old SNL skit, “I am the best singer in the world.”

39. Buckets
    6:18 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Good lord, it’s always easy to tell right away whether it was a girl or guy picking the night note news and views dedication… At least you can scroll past that Celine Dion garbage.

40. Buckets
    6:19 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

And I mean without looking at the byline, of course.

41. John
    6:30 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

If Celine Dion has an angelic voice then Rosanne Barr has a great body.

42. EC
    6:43 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Go Puke! Now excuse me while I go puke.

43. rowdy
    7:48 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

I never usually watch UK hoops, but I will today. That Elena Delle Donne is hot. Damn, and 6’5 of her to enjoy. A shame she’s probably lesbian. Celine Dion, that face is busted. But the body was alright. Just bend her over, and tell her to shut up.

44. @coyotevomit
    7:57 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Wasn’t Brandon Stockton Mr Basketball?

45. David from Bowling Green
    7:58 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

I cannot bring myself to root for Duke. Hope Cards win. Also hope Ohio State loses since their fans hate UK.

46. doc
    7:58 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

I also must object to the application of the term “end of regulation” to baseball. It would be similarly awkward and to say “overtime” rather than “extra innings”. Baseball is an old game (from a modern perspective) with a well-established lexicon distinguished from other popular American sports by its lack of timekeeping. Sometimes an ESPN commentator commits a similar faux pas, betraying their lack of affinity for the sport– Stephen A. Smith being the worst transgressor.

Regarding Duke vs. Louisville, as a fan baptized in the agony of 1992, “Go Cards!” (It’s much easier to type than say aloud.)

I offer no other comment on Ms. Dion other than to repeat one of the core maxims of writing: “Know your audience.” (I have no Vin diagram to support me, but I highly doubt there is much overlap between the two fan bases.)

47. markp
    8:02 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Agreed Celine Dion is great.

But more importantly……Rooting for Duke to beat the Cards and anyone else to finally win it. Duke has a much classier program and Coach K is classy versus that slime ball at U of L.

48. mikey
    8:05 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Celine Dion is one of, if not the, greatest. My fave is ‘The Power of Love’. Other Canadian greats imo are Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Murray, and Bryan Adams. None of them can dunk like Andrew though.

49. SeoulCat
    8:40 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Celine Dion walks into a bar and sits down at the counter. The bartender turns around and asks her “so, why the long face?”

50. Jalil
    8:46 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Matt Jones likes to dress like Celine Dion and sing to Drew Franklin

“Hey Drew”

Every night in my dreams
    I see you, I feel you
    That is how I know you, go on

Far across the distance
    And spaces between us
    You have come to show you, go on

Near, far, wherever you are
    I believe that the heart does go on
    Once more you open the door
    And you’re here in my heart
    And my heart will go on and on

51. Ridge Runner
    9:07 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

44- Yes, kid from Glasgow

52. Jd
    9:22 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Celine Dion?? Getting tougher to come to the site with all the irrelevant posts and all the UL jealousy

53. Ridge Runner
    9:28 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Dang, ya ever get something on your mind after ya post and want to go look it up? Anyway, after I found some RECENT kids names that I kinda had forgot about winning Mr Basketball recently….thought I’d paste them here as many had faded from memory. I’m getting old. If ya care to look at here ya go…

2000 Scott Hundley

9:29 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

55. Johnny Long
    9:54 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Looks like another tittle for Duke and coach K Cat fans

56. Khalil
    10:01 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

Give Canada all inbred,meth addicted,cracker ass cracker trash

In other words 95% of Kentucky

57. Dr. Lee Todd
    10:09 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

46. It is Venn diagram not Vin diagram.

Vin stands for vehicle identification number

58. Uhhm
    12:32 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

Probably should stop with the making fun of canadians thing if we want to land Wiggins. Idiot.

59. yep
    1:14 pm March 30, 2013 Permalink

that is one dope jacket

60. doc
    12:32 pm March 31, 2013 Permalink

57. You are correct. Twas the result of my phone’s autocorrect. KSR is not phone-friendly, and I believe the default phone dictionary was designed for a teenager.