CBS Mailbag: “Easy to see why UK fans are so excited about the future”

Over on CBSSports.com’s mailbag session this week, Bruce Feldman fielded questions about his impressions from the week at the Elite 11 event. WildcatCorey (what up, Wildcat Corey?) asked Feldman about Drew Barker’s performance. Here’s what Feldman had to say:

The big Kentucky commit struggled early in the Elite 11’s first two days, but by the end of the week, he went from way back in the pack to becoming one of the top guys. I don’t know if that was more of a function of him adjusting to being on the other side of the country with all these other top guys or maybe there was a bit of an awe since you had a star group of counselors around (Johnny Manziel, Tajh Boyd, Teddy Bridgewater, Devin Gardner and David Fales), but by the time the college guys left (midway through the Elite 11), Barker’s play took a big jump forward and it was easy to see why UK fans are so excited about the future.

Barker had one of the better arms at the Elite 11, but what really resonated was how he took command of the team he was put on. Barker was also very decisive cutting loose on big throws. Given the caliber of the program he’s going into at UK and his size and presence, I could see him playing early for the Cats.

[ Mailbag: Weighing in on the Elite 11 and the Opening ]

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

20 Comments for CBS Mailbag: “Easy to see why UK fans are so excited about the future”

1. cracka
    1:58 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

to Matt Jones, take an idea from ESPN:

“Effective July 17, ESPN will be transitioning all conversations to Facebook comments. At that time a Facebook account will be required to post comments on new articles. Previous comments and conversations will be closed to comment but can still be viewed.”

2. JJ Bluebird
    2:09 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

What up?!
    Really, Ally?
    Stop saying what up. It wasn’t clever in the ’80s, and it beyond tired now. And you put it in virtually every post. Ugh!!!
    Just sayin’…

3. Shawon
    2:18 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

In a previous mailbag session, Feldman opined that Mark Stoops would not be as successful as Butch Jones. Upon reflection it was not a good question. But the reasoning as to why Jones would be more successful was illogical.

Here’s part of the response:
    “Back to Kentucky, the odds are really against Stoops winning big there. The program hasn’t won an SEC football title in almost 40 years. It’s been 29 years since they had a season where the Cats won more than eight games. That history, along with Jones’ proven winning track record as a head coach at his two previous stops are why I’d say you have to say he’s more likely to be successful.”

4. bigbluetrue
    2:28 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

Really love the media attention we continue to get for the football program even though Feldman couldn’t resist taking an ever so slight shot at us toward the end by saying, “Given the caliber of the program he’s going into at UK (and his size and presence), I could see him playing early for the Cats.”

5. ACC
    2:33 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

I think teddy bridgewater intimidated him early in the week

6. C. Much
    2:47 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

Cracka, bad idea. Look at what the Courier-Journal did, on 2 wrong fronts. Gannett continues to make the stupid move driving to the WRONG business model. Which detours its former readers to alternatives such as WDRB. The point being: Forcing KSR fans to get a farce book account is a dumb mistake.

7. jpgott2
    2:56 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

5, the funny thing is that I watched The Opening, and the only way I knew Teddy was there was because ESPN said he was. They showed Manzel instead. You know, the heisman winner!

8. Blue To The Bone...
    3:26 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

Can sure understand his wanting to fulfill a childhood dream , but I sure hope that the staff along with DB can convince him that what we are doing at KENTUCKY with the offense that NB is going to run will be a better choice for him…It ain’t over till it’s over

9. Football offense guru
    3:40 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

Seriously question Drew. You ever go watch the offensive skill players practice? Do you even kmow what days or times they practice during the week? Visit them this week and give us an update of real time stuff that is happening. We are less than two months from the beginning of the 2013 season. Drive over to the Nutter center. Ask for a free parking permit. Enjoy what is happening this season. It is a working hard attitude. See it for yourself!

10. Truth
    3:59 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

UK football is the rectal cavity of the all of college football.

11. Football
    4:05 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

9. The players are not allowed to practice with position coaches yet. NCAA rules forbid it until fall practice begins. They can only lift weights now or practice on their own, not as a unit.

12. Translation
    4:13 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

“Given the caliber of the program he’s going into at UK…” Translation: This team blows.

13. Bob Mould
    4:34 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

@12, Trans, U BLOW more than anyone I know. Stoops and simple ways got to turn it around.

14. teddi bridgepanties
    4:42 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

of course I was there, I had on a blonde wig and a black dress, all these big, strong football players are hot! besides coach Charlie dong won’t shower with me in the off-season.

15. cracka
    4:45 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

6, I don’t know what the courier journal does or use to do, I just know I hate how anonymous cowards ruin the comments section of ksr … I don’t want ksr to do something that hurts revenue either, though

16. cracka
    4:52 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

I also like to blow my load on pictures of Cal.

17. Hey Zeuswannabe
    5:01 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

cracka……..r u not a coward by posing as cracka?

I

18. Blue To The Bone..
    5:04 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

#11Football…True, the players are not allowed to work with position coaches(why can basketball do this), but they can, and I assume are, working out on their own each day especially the qb, wr, etc. running routes and working on the playbook led by the qbs…I think they are also allowed to go against local teams (EKU others.) in some informal 7 on 7 stuff..I am not predicting greatness for this team , but I truly believe they are going to surprise a lot of folks who think this team is devoid of talent simply because they were so poorly coached by the last staff..

19. cracka
    6:54 pm July 6, 2013 Permalink

dude, cowards talk smack behind anonymity, I’m not talking smack, just being real and offering suggestions

20. cracka