CBS Drops Their Top College Hoops Teams of All-Time

Sometimes, when your a sports publication, there’s a lull in the season and you hit a wall on providing original content.  But that’s okay.  When that happens, you can always do fun things like make all-time lists.  Providing a prime example of this, CBS Sports folks released their Top 16 College Hoops Teams of All-Time today.  CBS’s Gary Parrish, Jeff Goodman, Matt Norlander, and Jeff Borzello each made their own personalized ballot.  As expected, the illustrious 1996 National Champion Kentucky Wildcats appear on each list (any list not including them would be ludicrous).

Check out the lists below…

Because you’re all keen readers, you immediately noticed where the Cats were ranked in each list and then skimmed the rest, just as I did.  You results in these four polls vary – Parrish and Norlander list them at #2, Goodman goes with #6, and Borzello throws them in at #5.  That gives the 1996 team an averaging all-time ranking of 3.75.

1968 UCLA received three first place votes, with 1973 UCLA receiving the remaining one.   The other teams to be placed ahead of UK by the four bloggers include 1976 Indiana, 1956 San Francisco, and 1982 North Carolina.   These ballots actually have an effect – CBS is airing a show in March on the top 16 teams in history and asked the guys to give their input.

I think the ’96 team is top 5 all-time, without a doubt.  #3 is a safe bet, but I like them at #2 (hell, even #1, amirite?) What say you?  Fair rankings?  Is #6 too low, thus causing your hate for Goodman to grow?

Article written by Chris Thomas

61 Comments for CBS Drops Their Top College Hoops Teams of All-Time

1. Jiminy Cricket
    4:06 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Arguably #1 !!!

2. BD
    4:07 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

I’d put the 97 team about #9 on that list

3. Dee
    4:08 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

NUMBER 6!!! Are you kidding me….what a joke….that 96 team is atleast #2…and you could argue #1……to be honest…this UK squad had/has the potential to be a Top 10 team all-time..

4. GBB
    4:09 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Where’s 1978?

5. UK Wildcat
    4:09 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Jeff Borzello deserves some respect for listing the 1954 Kentucky team. I bet the other 3 don’t know a damn thing about the 1954 team.

6. GBB
    4:10 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

How about a poll for whose fans have the most love for their team????

7. Dee
    4:10 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

56 SF….pah leaze….they had what…..one great…and a few good players….hell…..the 2003 UK team I’d rank ahead of the SF team….(I know…that’s a reach…but you get my drift)

8. joshua watts
    4:11 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

I believe with the depth and cohesion on the 96 team it would hard not to put them in the top 3. Since I was born in 1981 its hard to remember teams in the 50s. If I had to put a team on this list without a championship 5 slamma jamma seems to fit.

9. Dee
    4:12 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Borzello did that to lessen the wrath of UK fans….for putting IU ahead of UK

10. kyjetblue's man
    4:12 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

1978 Kentucky was a mighty good team as well

11. Will
    4:13 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

While 6 is too low, I will definitely agree that 2-3 is probably the best spot for that team. Had they been able to beat UMass and went undefeated I think they would have been considered the best. Even if this team wins out and wins the championship I would not put them top 10. The SEC is not what it was back in the mid 90’s. Top 20 yes but top 10, no.

12. GoCats2
    4:14 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

They should let the fans vote. Of course if they did that UK would have all top ten and UCLA would not get a vote.

13. ktmiln2
    4:15 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

I think that ranking teams across the past 60+ years is a futile attempt to begin with.

14. ShaneF
    4:16 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

#2 or 3 is perfectly fine. That 1968 UCLA team was simply awesome.

15. RogerHarden_23
    4:16 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Great. Let’s lace ’em up and play it out. I’ll take our ’96 team over any of those other clowns.

16. Kreyendick
    4:16 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Where’s the 1948 team? Olympic gold, b*tches!

17. KyKid
    4:17 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Goodman’s an idiot.

18. JoeMoney333
    4:17 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Agreed 13, to hard to do. However it is hard to complain about top 3

19. Charles
    4:18 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

My friend and I have always thought that if you had a time-machine and somehow could have say, the 76 Indiana team play the 96 Kentucky team, Kentucky would press them and blow them out! Same goes for the other teams mentioned!

20. BigBlueFan31
    4:19 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

They are stupid. That team was 10 deep, could press anyone, had outside shooters and inside presence too. That 96 team is one of the best all time. Point. Blank. Period! Saying a team from the 60s could run with them would be like saying a team from the 60s, in football, could hang with Bama today. Ain’t happenin’!!

1996 is the best team of all time with the 1991 UNLV team a close 2nd, IMHO.

21. (.Y.)
    4:21 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

1948 team definitely belongs very high on the list. I mean, the starting five won a gold medal and then turned pro as a unit.

22. Carl
    4:23 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

UCLA had some great talent with Abdul-Jabbar and Walton at center but none of the other teams had the collection of talent that the 96 team did….and I agree. the 78 team should have been on the list as well, not sure about 54. All in all, those are some pretty good basketball teams…loved the UNLV runnin’ rebs’!!

23. FroPac
    4:24 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

I assume you had to win a N.C. to be on the list? I did not see that Michigan team on any ballot. That team was a top 10 team regardless. Better than the 96′ Cats? No. But certainly top 10.

24. jaws2
    4:25 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

No loserville? Imagine that.

25. Yesterdays
    4:26 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Tough to compare that far back. Should probably compare 20 years at a time. I have no idea how good the San Fran teams were. I also know that I saw UNLV play alot and there is no way they shouldnt be a top 5 team. Teams that played them that year were literally afraid of Gramma ma and Greg Anthony. No way you could put 96′ UK team worse than 4 and be able to make a solid care. You could slice it and dice it alot of ways. That team was just sick. Had no weaknesses.

26. Kentucky Effect
    4:27 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Athleticism is the one thing you have to consider. Sure the UCLA teams were good but they were in no way as athletic as the 96 team. The 96 team is by far the best team that has ever played college basketball. There is no argument. When you add athleticism, and the cohesive nature of 11 STARS, you cant even argue it. It will NEVER happen again.

You could argue the second 5 of that 96 team would be in the top 15 of all time. I remember listening to espn and hearing them say. Kentucky is the best team in the nation and their second 5 should be #2. Thats how good they were.

27. Carl
    4:27 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Just remembered…Phi Slama Jama with Hakeem the Dream and Clyde the Glide. I’d take them over the 2005 NC team or the 2007 FL teams for sure. Lost on a fluke shot and some questionable officiating.

28. Brew Crew
    4:27 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

That UK team is at worst #2, but I would give them the #1 vote. I like the random 2000 Cincy club making a top 16 team all time. Not sure what Parrish was thinking with that pick. And Goodman is a terrible analyst on principle, I would expect no less of him than placing 96 UK at #6

29. kdh2011
    4:29 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Number one has to be 73 UCLA. They only had 6 future pros, but three of them were future all stars. Plus that was their second straight undefeated season. 96 UK had more pros, but the pros weren’t as good and they weren’t undefeated. Love those guys, but they can’t match that UCLA team.

If you want to argue about who would win game between the two, I don’t know. UK would have a hard time matching up with Bill Walton. He’s was pretty freaking fantastic (love the late 70s Blazers on Hardwood Classics!).

30. playersfan
    4:31 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

1954 team with Hagan and Ramsey was great, undefeated couldn’t play in NCAA tournament because of prior points scandal of previous players. Won SEC and SEC tournament, Hagan set points total that Meeks broke.

31. rainman
    4:32 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

One thing not mentioned, the UCLA teams had the best talent money could buy!!
    Not really fair comparisons to todays teams!!
    Also, the 2000 Cincy team??????? Gimme a break!!

32. Anthony Davis Has A Posse
    4:32 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Hard to put 96 team ahead of last undefeated team or the best Wooden team (though I would), but anything below third is just to be contrary and/or stir up the BBN.

UK just walked through the 96 tournament with a combined win margin of +129, best in tournament history. There were 9 (NINE!) future NBA players on that squad. No other team on that list would touch them.

And where is the ’98 squad? I understand leaving off ’97 because they didn’t win it all, but that ’98 team was pretty dominant as well.

33. Don
    4:35 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Corky Goodman is always such a freakin’ chode when it comes to UK.

34. Freethrow
    4:38 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

I’m sorry, but I was 25 in 1976 and a huge basketball fan by then and there is NO WAY that IU was even close to being better than the 96 Cat’s. Sure, they had a great year but “never” played a team eith even close to what the Cats brought to the table.

35. nickel
    4:40 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

the 83-84 houston team that lost to NC state was awesome.

36. tncatfan
    4:52 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

#6 is too low, top 3 at worst. Here’s the list of teams that were on all 4 ballots,..

’68 UCLA
    ’96 UK
    ’73 UCLA
    ’76 INDIANA
    ’56 SAN FRANCISCO
    ’82 UNC
    ’92 DUKE
    ’74 NC STATE

It could be assumed, these are the Top 8 of all time, in no particular order.

37. Yesterdays
    4:58 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Why does 92′ dook deserve to be so high? If your talking about which teams would beat each other, I think that dook team would get waxed by these others. Grant Hill is the only pro on that team that I can remember that was any good at all. Hurley would have gotten destroyed by any of these team’s PG’s.

38. UK64
    4:58 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Glad someone remembered the 1954 Cats. They were undefeated two years in a row. Unfortunately, thru no fault of their own, they were not eligible for the NCAA

39. phk
    5:01 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

I had no idea this is why Royce White didn’t come to UK. It’s kinda sad, but I’m happy he was eventually able to overcome his fear. Would have loved to have seen him in UK blue.

40. bung
    5:10 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

48 team natl champs…gold…pro
    54 team undefeated Rupp refused to play in nc2a although they could have
    96team
    78 team
    all the rest

41. Fan1
    5:13 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

I would certainly agree that the ’96 team is top 5, but I am not so sure they make the top three. I remember the UCLA teams and I doubt the ’96 team could beat either the’68 or ’73 teams. However, they would compete favorably with the rest of the list.

42. UK64
    5:14 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

#25, the 56 San Fran team was the Bill Russell team, but I think he was the only real big time player.

43. bung
    5:20 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

in 54 rupp was mad because nc2a wouldnt let his post grad students play even though they still had eligibilty left (which of course has been ok since then) so even though they were invited he refused to let his team play in the tourney… he said he would see that that $#%@ nc2a pres hand him that trophy yet, which happened in 58…he did accept the Helms trophy for best team in 54.

44. cbs get a clue
    5:33 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

31 no kidding just looked 2000 ciny team that parish rated 16 THEY LOST IN 2ND ROUND R U KIDDING ME dont care if martin got hurt that team should not be top 50 hell they lost to st. louis

45. dave
    5:35 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

apparently i know more about college b-ball than gary parrish.
    the ’08 KU team (with only 2 mediocre, nba players) that needed a chalmers heave & missed FTs in OT is the 6th best team… ever???
    ’99 duke, ’07 UF, ’05 UNC all easily above
    ’00 cincy? WTF? a 2 seed that didnt even get to sweet 16
    how bad at your job can you be……

46. JJ in Florida
    5:38 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

How about the Fabulous 5 from 1948. SEC,NCAA, and Olypmic champs!

47. 2020
    5:43 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

#25, #42, ’56 SF team also had KC Jones… 9 seasons with the Celtics – 8 championship rings.

48. whatthefrick?

’92 duke
    ’82 unc
    ’05 unc
    ’56 usf

51. Ya heard Perd
    6:46 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Since the 92 duke team is ranked so high and that elite 8 was the greatest game ever Played shouldn’t UK 92 be top 16?

52. Bluecatdixiecrat
    7:01 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

No 3 point line no comparison!!!!!!

53. Doc
    7:08 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

A few things are clear from this list. First, these writers have a mostly myopic view of history which does not begin until around the time Lew Alcindor was being paid to play at UCLA. Second, for the period of which they are aware, they have little depth of knowledge , likely voting for those yeams ehose highlights they may have seen orwhose run they wrote about. Finally, they can suck it.

54. UK64
    7:17 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

53 right on!

55. one-n-done
    7:37 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

some one take up for the 48 team. did any of those other team win the championship and then the gold medal?

56. Matt
    7:53 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

My grandfather gave me a Wilson basketball autographed by the entire 1996 team for my birthday in 1997 (I was 9). I would never sell it, but this survey certainly helps promote my recent claim that it’s worth more than $2,000.

57. best1978
    10:09 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Any such list without the 1978 Wildcats lacks credibility.

58. RYNO
    10:11 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

Goodman was right about Thomas Robinson.

59. DCCat
    10:15 pm January 26, 2012 Permalink

2000 cinch? 2008 Kansas?!? Neither should be on the list. 78 UK should be.

60. Stevie Ray
    5:50 am January 27, 2012 Permalink

Not old enough to remember but heard enough stories from Cawood–can’t leave off the Fabulous Five! Plus the ’78 team, which I do remember well, had a great inside-outside game and a great 6th man in Lee. 1996 coulda/shoulda gone undefeated.

61. Sully
    12:55 pm January 27, 2012 Permalink

Our ’78 team is a largely forgotten great team, and belongs in any top twenty list–and I’m not at all sure the ’96 team was better. Glad IU’s ’76 team wasn’t ranked higher by these guys; it is a traditionally overrated team that Knight’s ’81 team and most of the teams on the list would have crushed. Magic’s ’79 Michigan State was, like that ’81 IU team, a squad with some losses but jelled and was awesome in the tournament, with no close games. Jabbar’s ’69 UCLA team lost only once and I was there and watched them win the final in Freedom Hall by 20 over Rick Mount and Purdue; hard not to have them on the list. Sidney Wickes couldn’t even start on that team; he came off the bench.

Some of us need to be careful throwing barbs at UCLA for paying players. I’m a UK grad, but our history isn’t the best in that regard. As Larry Bird used to say to Rick Robey when they shook hands, it was the first time Robey ever shook a hand that didn’t have a hundred dollar bill in it. . . . .