Cats wrap camp and start first day of classes

UK game uniforms
Picture of the game uniforms tweeted by James Pennington

The football teamed wrapped camp last night with a scrimmage that Joker Phillips and staff termed ‘a dress rehearsal’. The team wore their new uniforms, warmed up the way they will for games and spent the 90 minute mock scrimmage working through special situations.

Joker said of the session to the UK Athletics blog, “Today, we tried to make sure that we get into game day organization, about how we stretch, how we take the field, all of that. I thought that we were pretty sharp and crisp. We had a lot of different situations that we went over and a lot of different personnel on and off the field. We did a lot of different kicking situations with sudden changes and I was pleased with how we handled ourselves. We didn’t have 12 guys on the field, or 10, we had 11 guys and I think that is important. We feel good going into the season.”

A few further scrimmage notes:

– Mark Crawford, who has been trying to work his way back into the good graces of the coaching staff, will most likely be held out of the first game in Nashville. This should probably be viewed as more positive than negative, since Joker had to consider it. Crawford should be out of the doghouse soon if his attitude continues to improve the way it has already.

– Morgan Newton wore a white jersey instead of the traditional no-contact red, but he was still off limits. The staff was simply making sure that his uniform fit.

– Raymond Sanders noted that rest would probably do the offense some good, especially because toward the end of camp they had difficulty keeping the ‘best eleven out there’ and even the guys that were out there looked like they were ‘running in mud’.

– Sanders also said that the team has some sort of Wildcat package in their back pockets, but the question remains as to who will run it. No one matches Cobb in that regard.

– Tee Martin said that going against Rick Minter’s defense is like going against the Jets or the Steelers. High praise, but I see more of a 1985 Bears.

– A final note: as the guys start class today, Joker said that each new guy has an ‘big brother’ to help him find his way around campus and get to his classes. That opens the doors to some pretty fun combinations, but I have to say my favorite would be a Winston Guy – Bookie Cobbins tandem. Think of the twitter possibilities.

Article written by Matthew Hays

16 Comments for Cats wrap camp and start first day of classes

1. mocha
    11:12 am August 24, 2011 Permalink

football!

2. Z.Rex
    11:15 am August 24, 2011 Permalink

Can’t wait for football season.

Those new uni’s are sweet too – light years better than the basketball jersey style we wore several years ago; particularly happy to see the white pants/ blue shirt back. The sleeve stripe and TV numbers look great.

Stoked to see the revamped D this year!!

3. GoCats2
    11:16 am August 24, 2011 Permalink

Thats a way to look positive about your team, be proud of the little things like having 11 guys on the field instead of 10.

4. Holden McGroin
    11:31 am August 24, 2011 Permalink

I sure hope this year is the break out year for the team. it would be nice to get excited and win some we are not supposed to win. operation win is past due, hopefully this is the year.

5. Sean
    11:51 am August 24, 2011 Permalink

I miss Evan. He was a great writer.

6. UKfanNKY
    11:55 am August 24, 2011 Permalink

GO CATS RISE!!! This will be a special year for KENTUCKY FOOTBALL!!!

7. I like
    12:08 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

What did Crawford do that Tipton hasn’t??

8. Tiger's Trojan Head Cover
    12:31 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

I’m still trying to figure out who will win the game Tuesday night at the Yum Center….anybody have any advice? Point spread?

9. CliffFrankLou
    12:38 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

Raymond or Randy Sanders?

10. 7 And Counting
    1:03 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

beautiful unis. I have a good feeling about this team. everybody has doubts about newton, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he puts up 2800 yards and 22 touchdowns at least this season. With an underrated receiving group around him in Larod King, Brian Adams, and Daryl Collins in the slot along with a great receiving threat out of the backfield in Raymond Sanders, don’t be surprised if this team surprises everyone and finishes 9-4 including a bowl win.

11. Tobias Funke
    1:18 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

Personally I’d like to see Bookie’s big brah be a KY farmboy like Larry Warford.

12. JPhelps
    1:42 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

In other news, the Colts realize what the UK fanbase realized and what everyone EXCEPT the UK coaching staff realized… Mike Hartline sucks! So they sign Kerry Collins.

Sure to be the coup de grace to Hartline’s all but certain short stint in the NFL. Time to be a pharmaceutical sales rep bud!

13. UK4LIFE
    1:49 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

6. Drink that Kool-Aid! It’s people like you who died in the Jonesboro cult. Talk to me before the basketball season. I’ll be the one saying “I told you we’d go 6-7 or 7-6 at best!” #LIES

Not fairweather as you said, just not drinking the Kool Aid and looking like an idiot when we underperform. Call me a realist! It’s like saying, Bruce Pearl can come back, and believing he’s not going to be a hypocrite next time…

14. Joker's Wild
    1:55 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

Man if you hate Tennessee you gotta see this, you gotta see this: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beat-Tennessee-NOW/259535804057214#

15. Jaws2
    4:27 pm August 24, 2011 Permalink

I’d say this; we hear the same thing EVERY year; possible 7-5 / 8-4, fastest defense I’ve seen around here, blah blah blah. Been as season ticket holder since they built the place. Those new uniforms and video screens won’t be winning any ball games boys. I say SHOW me something on the field and I’ll be convinced, otherwise we’re looking at the same scenario.