Picture of the game uniforms tweeted by James Pennington
The football teamed wrapped camp last night with a scrimmage that Joker Phillips and staff termed ‘a dress rehearsal’. The team wore their new uniforms, warmed up the way they will for games and spent the 90 minute mock scrimmage working through special situations.
Joker said of the session to the UK Athletics blog, “Today, we tried to make sure that we get into game day organization, about how we stretch, how we take the field, all of that. I thought that we were pretty sharp and crisp. We had a lot of different situations that we went over and a lot of different personnel on and off the field. We did a lot of different kicking situations with sudden changes and I was pleased with how we handled ourselves. We didn’t have 12 guys on the field, or 10, we had 11 guys and I think that is important. We feel good going into the season.”
A few further scrimmage notes:
– Mark Crawford, who has been trying to work his way back into the good graces of the coaching staff, will most likely be held out of the first game in Nashville. This should probably be viewed as more positive than negative, since Joker had to consider it. Crawford should be out of the doghouse soon if his attitude continues to improve the way it has already.
– Morgan Newton wore a white jersey instead of the traditional no-contact red, but he was still off limits. The staff was simply making sure that his uniform fit.
– Raymond Sanders noted that rest would probably do the offense some good, especially because toward the end of camp they had difficulty keeping the ‘best eleven out there’ and even the guys that were out there looked like they were ‘running in mud’.
– Sanders also said that the team has some sort of Wildcat package in their back pockets, but the question remains as to who will run it. No one matches Cobb in that regard.
– Tee Martin said that going against Rick Minter’s defense is like going against the Jets or the Steelers. High praise, but I see more of a 1985 Bears.
– A final note: as the guys start class today, Joker said that each new guy has an ‘big brother’ to help him find his way around campus and get to his classes. That opens the doors to some pretty fun combinations, but I have to say my favorite would be a Winston Guy – Bookie Cobbins tandem. Think of the twitter possibilities.