Cats win! Cats win! Cats win!

UKAthletics.com

The biggest game on UK’s schedule ended in a victory for the Wildcats.  It took five minutes of extra basketball, but Kentucky outlasted Missouri, 90-83.  Julius Mays and Alex Poythress combined for 45 points, followed by Archie Goodwin’s 17 and 16 from Ryan Harrow.  Willie Cauley-Stein channeled his inner Nerlens Noel and swatted seven Mizzou shot attempts.

We’ll have more throughout the night.  You go out and celebrate and check in with us whenever you can.

Go Cats!!!

Article written by Drew Franklin

63 Comments for Cats win! Cats win! Cats win!

1. jus sayin
    11:35 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

So that’s what a must win game feels like? Never want to go through that again.

2. boylerebelcat
    11:35 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

very nice! very nice!

3. Demo1975
    11:35 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Great win! Crowd sounded great!! Layups and free throws…

4. jus sayin
    11:35 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

HARROW and POYTHESS earned their jerseys tonight.

5. Finally
    11:37 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

There was REAL hustle…REAL effort….REAL Billy G toughness!
    I don’t know why it has taken this long for some of the players to figure out that you have to play aggressively all the time. Still some real bonehead plays, but I can live with those. It’s the ack of hustle that is hopefully now corrected that I have despised all season.

6. Northeastern Cat
    11:37 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Awesome win! Glad to see Alex with a solid game!

7. Han
    11:38 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Great game all around. All Archie has to do is cut down on some of the 1 on 2,3,4,5s, and Alex just needs to stay aggressive on offense. Could’ve used a bit more from Kyle, but still, great game, especially early from Harrow and late from Mays.

Also, there at the end, I know Kyle was just trying to use clock, but giving the ball to Goodwin, who shoots 65% at the line, was not so wise.

8. Bamacat55
    11:39 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Now, that’s the Alex Poythress that I have been waiting for.

9. Bunny
    11:39 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Nice to see some fight in the Cats. With competent free throw shooting, the game wouldn’t have been so close. Looking forward to the talent infusion next year…

10. C-A-T-S
    11:39 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

This was the best these Cats have played all year. Great effort. Great passion. These boys are now playing like CATS. Poythress finally!!!!! If they continue like this Everyone better watch out. I’m now going to start playing dodgeball!!!!!! Finally!!!! C-A-T-S

11. I think I had an aneurism.

12. tyrone biggins
    11:40 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

I’m glad they didn’t want to lose tonight. That was the best effort they’ve given all year!

13. Michael
    11:40 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Way to go Cats! Poythress’ family looked so happy for him. Let’s bring that kind of heart to the rest of the season.

14. Richard P
    11:41 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Easy to be a team when ya got three xtra playas. Those refs were

15. Computer Blue
    11:41 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

The awakening I was awaiting all season! If only Noel was healthy…

16. Bulldawg
    11:41 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

I think we can all agree that Mike, UKfreshmen, and oldschool are by far the worst commenters on this site. Mike is a real nut job and may be a skitso icymi.

17. And a cardiac arrest.

18. HipJointCrackinBlueHare
    11:42 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Best win of year .

19. About Dang Time
    11:42 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

If we get this kind of effort all season, we are 23-4 and a top 10 team. Main difference tonight was effort!!! I saw toughness throughout the game and a will to win. Even if we had lost, I would have appreciated the effort!

20. C-A-T-S
    11:42 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

I wish people would find any negative to point out. There’s never going to be a perfect game, and everyone knows we can’t shoot free throws so get used to it. Be proud of the boys. They played fantastic tonight!!!!! I hope everyone enjoyed this game as much as I did. Go CATS!!!!!!

21. Jarweed
    11:42 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

That was one hell of a game! Huge win in front of the nation. (I won’t even complain bout the FT shooting)

22. WestKYCat
    11:43 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

#10 I agree. Could Noel’s injury have the psychological effect on this team to play ball. They were looking at him as their leader all year. I love Noel and wsh it had never happened but these boys became men tonight.

23. Brink
    11:43 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Keep swinging on our sacks dick p.

24. Mike
    11:44 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

We tied them in rebounds and beat them in every other statistic except FT%…what a GREAT win. I know many of you guys never thought I would be able to compliment them. We saved the weekend and kept us in the hunt for a bigger shot at the dance.

25. C-A-T-S
    11:44 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

#19 agreed. First time effort was displayed throughout.

26. Cotton Mash
    11:45 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

RT @WildcatStatue
    Own Gameday? Check. Raise $1.1M at DanceBlue? Check. Win a thriller in Rupp? Check. I’d say today was a good day in the #BBN

27. Coach Jamin
    11:45 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

You guys remember in 2010 when that group FINALLY started getting it right about 2 weeks before the SEC Tourney? This game reminded me a whole lot of that. Great game, great effort, great win. The next game is the most important game on our schedule.

28. Uklagdo
    11:45 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Great job Cats…Julius, Archie, Alex, Ryan, Willie – Thank you…Go Cats!!

29. Jarweed
    11:46 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

How bout Nerlens livin and dyin with every play like a lifelong fan. Nerlens bleeds blue, fellers. I love the kid!

30. Mike
    11:46 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

16. Bulldawg….Get a life…the guys won tonight. You are always finding something to complain about.

31. jobob
    11:47 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone have the link to the postgame show?

32. ANdy
    11:48 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

MIssed the game. Is there a replay anywhere? Would greatly appreciate a link.

33. southeastUKfan
    11:48 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Ball game of the year. Enjoy for 24 hrs, don’t undo this major win by slipping up against these Bulldog teams coming up.

34. chief_cat
    11:48 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Played with heart and fought like Wildcafs. Didn’t even see fans exit early! All around great game!

35. SexnNursinHomes
    11:50 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Woooooooo Hooooooooo!!!! CATS!!!!!! Lick my warty ballssssss you haters!!!

36. Dear UL and IU fans, We are national champions; you are not. The end.
    11:52 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Hey Mike, you don’t deserve to celebrate this win. Go back and look at your comments tonight. We don’t need fans like you.

37. Han
    11:53 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

So glad we won. My stomach was turning a lot there. Clutch D from Willie, clutch foul shooting from Mays and others.

Lots of “free” basketball today in the SEC. A total of 9 overtimes across 4 games. Bad day for everyone’s hearts and stomachs across the Southeast.

38. now what?y
    11:54 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

Where’s mudcreek mike at. Wedn night he was on here telling everyone what a great fan he was,and how bad mizzou was gonna spank us. Lmao!!! HATER!

39. Hudgie DeRobertis
    11:55 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

P O Y T H R E S S. Finally.

40. shawnpants
    11:58 pm February 23, 2013 Permalink

These kids are growing up in front of our eyes. Tons of basketball left to play and Mays and Cauley -Stein were incredible tonight

41. NerlesSays
    12:02 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

“Punching all of you lazy SOBs in the nuts for not playing like that when I was out there busting my ass every night.”

42. WTH
    12:03 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

@ 37 – “9 over times across 4 games”??????……You should’ve stopped after the first six pack!

43. justsayin
    12:04 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

If we would have lost tonight, their would be 200 comments on here. We win all the so called ” fans” got nothing to complain about.

44. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    12:04 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

UK did a great job competing! ESPNU is replaying the game at 2am-4am est Sunday.

45. Linda Taylor
    12:04 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

ANdy – ESPNU will rebroadcast the game at 2:00 am Eastern time tonight. Hope that helps.

46. theSkinny81
    12:05 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

42 – Doesn’t watch much basketball…..

47. Sam
    12:06 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

#34…What the hell is a Wildcaf?

48. Old School
    12:06 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

I’m a dumba**!

49. Linda Taylor
    12:07 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

42 – I think that person was referring to a couple of the games running to 3 and 4 overtimes which ran up the total number of overtimes.

50. Mike
    12:12 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

36. Kiss my grits….always stand by my comments….you UK haters can’t stand honest criticism.

51. Yoda
    12:12 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

I had written off Poythress and Goodwin. If they both transferred, declared for the draft, or went overseas I wouldn’t have lost a wink of sleep or a single teardrop as of 6 hours ago. HOWEVER, now, I think they are “getting it” or “buying in” or whatever you want to call it. I still don’t think they need to go to the NBA, but if they decide to come back, they will be key players in a TERRIFYING UK rotation next season.

That being said, ARCHIE, get your head up!!! On at least 3 ESPN replays of him driving to the basket, he was looking down at the floor blatantly with no regard for any other blue & white jerseys around him. Don’t get me wrong, he came up BIG tonight and I appreciate that, but he WOULD be a 1st round lottery pick if he just looked for the open man. Oh, and great to see him actually hit a 3-pt bucket or two tonight. I was actually yelling at the TV for him to shoot 3’s tonight, when most nights I just drink with every 3-pt brick he throws up.

RYAN, welcome to big-boy land! You played with SWAG tonight, especially in the 1st half, and didn’t look the least bit intimidated. Doesn’t that feel better than the alternative, where you’re being beat off the dribble and reprimanded by your coach?

WILLIE, did Nerlens give you some deer antler spray??? I would have bet my mortgage that you’d be back next year, but if you play the rest of the season like you did tonight, you’d be dumb not to take an NBA payday. Well done big fella, but still hope you’re back.

UNCLE JULES! You have a heartstopping release, and if you would step into the player every time you throw a head fake you’d get 9 more FT’s a game, but THANK YOU for hitting some crucial shots. You are the glue that holds us together, bar none.

KYLE, you’ve been a rock…I guess everyone has a game where they are just a grain of sand? If you told me Wiltjer would have 4 pts and not be in the game on crucial offensive possessions and we’d beat Mizzou, I would have laughed at you not 6 hours ago.

Lastly but not least ALEX, my man, WELCOME TO BIG BLUE! Every night, I scream at the TV that you should be doing what you did tonight. Is it lack of effort? Is it coaching negligence (you didn’t touch the ball on the last 5 possessions on offensive sets…WHY?!)? Is it just a process? I don’t know the answers, but I know you are more than capable of 15+ pts and 8+ rbds every night.

GO BIG BLUE!!!!

52. Dear UL and IU fans, We are national champions; you are not. The end.
    12:13 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

Mike, you are bipolar. Go see a doctor and get on some meds.

53. Mike's Subconscious
    12:25 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

Mike is the kind of person that would fit right in with the Westboro Baptists.

54. UKCATSFAN
    12:28 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

Who kidnapped the real alex poythress because that wasnt the poythress that I know. That is the preseason poythress who everyone thought was that player. Lol.Im glad he finally realized that he is that type of player. He is unstoppable if he wants to be and be is a lottery pick if he chooses to be. Its all a choice. If he chooses to be this player the rest of the year, then he will have millions next year. If he chooses to fall back into his former self, he comes back and wins a national championship and then has millions the next year. Oh wait, that doesnt sound all that bad either. Haha!

55. Kevin C.
    12:28 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

Great win…now we have to throttle MSU by at least 45 on Wednesday to call it a great week.

56. Mel Slirrup
    12:36 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

Jersey No. 22. Who are you and what did you do with Alex Poythress?

57. [email protected]
    12:46 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

Great game and hustle from the team. Archie still had some bOne headed drives but not nearly as many. Also our guards let their guards get in front them and score, but they’ve got some great guards so that was gonna happen at times. Everyone looked like they wanted the win….and seeing them get hyped after a dunk or a three shows the attitude they need to win.

58. CAUKFAN
    1:13 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

Noel’s injury could end up being the best thing that ever happened to these guys. Don’t think they ever would have stepped up otherwise. Kind of reminds me of Jort’s transformation.

59. uknate
    1:30 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

Where are the haters? Old school? Great win! Thanks guys! Remember ’08 when Bradley, Crawford, and Jasper stepped up when PPat got hurt? Here we go again, except forget the bad loss to Villanova that year. I see a sweet 16 win in Arlington against the Loosiers! Bring it on, I will be there! Can’t wait. Bring on sorry ass Miss State!

60. Ridge Runner
    5:15 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

Energy & Passion!! Great job CATS! That’s what I’m talkin’ about!

61. Bulldawg
    10:29 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

Mike, you call bashing Poythress the whole game honest criticism? He had his best game of the year BY FAR YOU DUMBA$$!!!!! When people called you out for it, you said, “are you happy with the score?” when UK was losing. YOU are a chump.

Either:

A.)you don’t know basketball and you are a wanna-be.
    B.)you are a typical U of l or IU troll, posin’ as BBN.
    C.)you are mentally handicapped and should receive BBN’s pity.

I don’t mind you bashing the players like you always do. BBN is used to that with all the trolls that see to it that Matt and the gang get fat paychecks. What really bothers me is when you refer to BBN as “we” or “us.” You are not BBN material Mike. I am pretty sure if you were at a BBN hangout and started spouting your drivel, a real member of BBN would punch you in your fat face!! I KNOW I WOULD!!! Don’t come praisin’ after the game when ALL YOU DO IS WHINE AND PUT DOWN OUR PLAYERS DURING THE GAME!!!!! You are NOT WELCOME in the BBN. IT is a privilege, not a right. Mike, you gave up any privileges you may of had with all your “honest criticism.” For all the REAL members of BBN… GO CATS!!!! GBB!!!!!!

62. Sheeeeiiit
    10:55 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

Great game! Best of the season!
    We lose – Old School posts his drivel a million times
    We win – Old School sulks in a closet somewhere with his Butler Tshirt on

I love it when UK wins! It feels real good. I hope the team feels more pride now and kicks some ass for the rest of the season.

63. Uk56Always
    11:13 am February 24, 2013 Permalink

61 Go to the head of the BBn class! Mike Go to Hell!