Cats rise to #4 in Lunardi’s latest Bracketology

bracketology-3-7

After showing some life in the last three games of the season, Joe Lunardi restored some faith in the Cats by improving their seed one slot. The Cats are placed in Tampa (winning!) in a bracket that has Pitt as the #1, Texas as the #2 and Purdue as the #3. It’s not an awful draw, but Texas is a formidable two and Pitt is a strong one. Purdue, though playing well in winning seven of their last eight, isn’t a terrible matchup for the Cats. Lunardi’s latest bracket also has Georgia and Alabama falling out of the tournament, leaving the SEC with only four teams.

Here is where UK’s opponents this season ranked:

2 – Notre Dame
2 – North Carolina
3 – Florida
4 – Louisville
5 – UConn
6 – Vanderbilt
9 – Tennessee
10 – Washington

Full Bracketology (including Duke’s “easy road”) here

Article written by Thomas Beisner

53 Comments for Cats rise to #4 in Lunardi’s latest Bracketology

1. I can't see the comments
    12:05 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

We owe WVU a beatdown. Tigerblood.

2. GoCats2
    12:06 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

I dont like this draw at all. I am not scared to play anyone but Purdue, Texas, and Putt have all been potential #1 seeds. I think Texas is better than Pitt and they have already beaten Kansas! I am hoping we win the SEC tourney and move up to a #3 seed in Duke’s bracket. Final Four here we come!

3. JEREMY
    12:08 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

I dont think duke could do anything to get taken out of the Charlotte bracket… Every freakn year..
    And West Virginia maybe in the second round, are u kiddn?
    Come on…at least get a little bit creative!

4. SheenMachine
    12:09 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Only 4 SEC teams?

5. RD
    12:10 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Wow! Duke playing in Charlotte?!?! What a shocker!!!

6. deer boss
    12:11 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

we’ll be in louisville next year at least.

7. DenverCat41
    12:11 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

My brother found this website to go back and watch all the old Kentucky tournament games. Pretty cool to go back and see the teams from the 90’s

8. Real Cats Fan
    12:12 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

FIRST!

How in the hell Duke can still be considered a #1 seed after getting clobbered by the Heels is beyond me. Also, can’t see UNC as a 2-seed in spite of their late season run.

9. Real Cats Fan
    12:13 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Oops – there were no posts on here when I started typing – guess I need to type faster. 🙂

10. Emmert still sucks
    12:13 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Duke is in Charlotte or Greensboro every year. They need other cities besides those two to hold first round games.

11. Bracketology
    12:13 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Not only does Duke get to play in Charlotte, but so does UNC as a 2 seed. #Ridiculous

12. UKChillFan
    12:14 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

NCAA = ACC

13. bung
    12:19 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Does Rupp host any games?

14. GoCats2
    12:20 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Trust me, I am no fan of Duke or UNC or the ACC but the idea is for top seeds to play close to home in the 1st couple rounds. If Kentucky was a top seed and there were games in Louisville or Cincy we would be there every year.

15. Mr Schwump
    12:22 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

How the eff does UT get in this tourney? Might as well open it to everybody.

16. big blue
    12:24 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

pat knight fired at texas tech. the beginning of the return of billy clyde?

17. Blueburg
    12:26 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

As much as I wanna avenge our loss to WV and Huggins, I don’t think this is the year. We don’t have an answer for their Jones. They are just the type of team we don’t want to face. Look at Coach Cal’s record vs. Huggins. He’s one of the few coaches that owns Cal in one on one meeting and this is not the year to begin turning that around. Mazzula will give Knight fits. There are several other teams, even some higher ranked/seeded teams I think we can beat, Pitt being one of them. But WV once again is flying under the radar as a team that is peaking at the right time in an over-hyped conference. Just wait and see how good they do in their conference tourney. I hope I’m wrong, but…

18. bigblueGH
    12:27 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

No thanks! Huggins owns Calipari. We likely don’t get past the 2nd round in this scenario.

19. Bobby Knight
    12:30 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

WVU plays that chicken shit defense. 1-3-1

20. deer boss
    12:30 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

13…2013 (i’m not sure we’d be allowed to play in our home court)

21. deer boss
    12:32 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

17/18….good thing this team is not like Cals past teams, lol. If we do play them, I like our odds of shooting the three much better this time around.

22. The Real Hambone
    12:34 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Louisville and Florida’s stock will fall precipitously after their respective conference tournaments. Both have been grossly over-rated all season long. Neither is a quality ball team.

23. iCe
    12:34 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

I wonder if Joe is a homer or not. I wonder if he just went ahead and gave Duke an easy bracket, so he wouldn’t be wrong.

24. Dave_in_Oldham
    12:35 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

If Duke is a 1 seed and Louisville is a 4 seed and they end up playing in the Sweet Sixteen, who am I supposed to root for? I think I would have to root for the dirty cards.

25. GoCats2
    12:35 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

#15 UT gets in for having one of the toughest schedules in the nation. I guess it doesnt matter if you dont win any of them. Same reason Michigan State gets in. Tough schedule, no wins.

26. Assistant Coach
    12:40 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

No way Tennessee (18-13, 8-8 SEC) deserves to be in the NCAA tourney before Alabama (20-10, 12-4 SEC). Tennessee is 4-6 in their last ten while Bama is 7-3 including a win at Tennessee.

27. Al's IndiCats
    12:47 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Puke and UNC playing in their home state? I’m absolutly shocked. I’m just surprized that UNC doesn’t play at Cameron and Puke play in the Deans Con-Dome.
    I really don’t see Pitt coming in at a #1 also, unless they win the conferrence Championship.

28. yeahus
    12:47 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

i know that this will shock some folks, but this is out of our hands, no amt. of hand-wrenching, b*tching and moaning is going to change where we are seeded, or where the committee in it’s infinite wisdom places us geographically … sit back and enjoy the ride … oh, and GO CATS !

29. Coach Enes
    12:48 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

You can pretty much guarantee that Duke’s path will include BYU/San Diego St. in some shape or form.

30. Al's IndiCats
    12:49 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

LMAO @24, I see your problem, for how in ther hell do you root for both to lose?

31. #winning!
    12:51 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

anyone know if the YUM! center is trying to host NCAA tourney games in the future … and i forget the rules, is that too close for UK to play 1st/2nd rd games in ?

32. bluesince66w
    12:51 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

At least UT has some quality wins. Does Michigan State have any?

33. ThankfulCat
    12:52 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

go look at Bama’s non conference schedule and you will see why they are out. They lost to Iowa, St Peter’s, Providence, Okie State and Seton Hall.
    UT beat Pitt and nova

Georgia has the biggest gripe. No bad losses unless you count Bama and they beat UAB and lost to Notre Dame and Temple.

34. Dave_in_Oldham
    12:55 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

31) I believe UK would be eligible to play at the Yum Center in either the 1st/2nd rounds or in a regional. UL, of course, would not be eligible 🙂

35. deer boss
    12:55 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

31….next year. I’m sure we could invoke the DUKE/UNC rules.

36. Rob
    12:56 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

I really want us to be in Duke’s bracket. PLEASE let Singler try to guard Miller/Lamb/Jones and Smith get shut down by Liggins. They look like Notre Dame to me–consistently solid but not talented enough to hang with an athletic team that plays well for 30+ minutes.

37. Go Cats
    12:58 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

I get the feeling that no matter what happens in the SEC tourney that UK will be a #2 seed. The brackets will be solid by Wednesday.

38. UKBigDaddy
    12:59 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

It’s a waste of time. He hasn’t been right yet.

39. Blueburg
    1:02 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

21 good point. My concern though is their ball pressure and Our Jones vs their Jones. Their Jones won’t cower like Hopson did yesterday. And we won’t be able to contain him like Jenkins. He will get his plus they really hit the boards. They got the bangers in the middle to wear us down. I agree that we shoot from the perimeter better than last yr, but I hate to think our fate hinges on it. I believe this team can make a respectable run but it will come down to matchups. I just don’t think we match up any better against WV than we did say aganst ‘bama or geo. WV is not a finesse team like Fl they are a tough, physical team. But hey, let the chips fall where they may. I’ll yell, stomp and spit til the final horn no matter who we play. GO Cats!

40. Go Cats
    1:06 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Meant 4 seed.

41. Norm
    1:09 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

So not only does Duke STILL get a #1 seed, but they get BYU as the #2

42. Runnin'Ramel
    1:15 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Duke paired with BYU would be criminal.

43. Blueburg
    1:48 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

The deck is always stacked against us and always in favor of puke, ku, and baby blue because they are right behind us in the # of national championships and wins. The officiating will be horrible for us, our bracket placement will be suspect and the region we are placed in is almost always far away, unlike it is for the three previously mentioned schools. But you know what? Our fans will remain the best reguardless. There will be more KENTUCKY BLUE in whatever region’s venues because we are the standard of college basketball. My hope is that we arrive back to the place where all those things don’t matter because we have such a tremendous team, we can’t be beat. I am proud of how our team has matured and hope they have a good run this year. But next year will be our best shot with Coach Cal at the helm of the BIG BLUE MACHINE.

44. 49 Chevy
    1:52 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

It happened for puke last year. They get a Purdue team without Hummel and now BYU without their starting center. Go figure.

45. Rockfield, KY
    1:56 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Our first round game would be tough against CofC. Andrew Gouldelock is a threat to go for 30-40 any night. Liggins and Lamb would have their work cut out for them.

46. Big Blue Swagger
    2:32 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Wonder if Pitino would like to redeem the last time he met up with duke? I’d definitely be sporting red & black that day and calling myself a Commonwealth of KY fan!!!
    As for possibilities of playing WVU again, Pitt, Texas, or the refs combined with any of those teams– whatevs!! If these Cats play an entire 2 halves with passion, “competitive spirit”, and intensity like we’ve seen glimpses of the whole season (usually when we’re down by 10-15 points) then we can beat any one of those teams. This team is GOOD and has had to work hard to win almost every game this season, so they can win, if they want to. Takes more will than skill.

47. Love those Cats!
    2:57 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Don’t overlook Charleston. They put a beating on Tennessee at Knoxville and are coached by Bobby Cremins (of Georgia Tech fame). He has done a great job with his team. They will be a tough first round game for anybody.

48. laettners foot
    3:27 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

U guys are so jealous of duke its annoying. Duke playing in charlotte is nothing like a home game, 80% of the crowd will be unc fans. There is nothing scary about this UK bracket and u dumbasses are making excuses like its the toughest bracket ever. U don’t want duke in ur bracket, hell u guys haven’t been in the final four this millinium u need the easiest bracket possible.

49. Chris
    5:57 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

I like it, Pitt is horribly overrated and Texas has Rick Barnes to screw them up.

50. Drew P Weiner
    6:25 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Assuming a WVU-UK rematch occurs, I tend to agree with Blueburg. I live in WV and would love some payback for last year, but this is not the year for it. WVU is a much physical team and KJ would match up well with Terrence Jones. Mazzula would also give Knight fits. Of course, Truck Bryant is back and it may be fortunate for WVU that he missed the game last year because he is a turnover machine and defensive liability.

The one x-factor that wasn’t mentioned for WVU is Pitt playing in the Sweet Sixteen. Given Pitt is a natural rival for WVU, I’d say they would likely be looking ahead to playing Pitt the following week.

Then again, I could see a College of Charleston-Butler matchup as well. Those two scare me in an opening round as does Oakland.

51. Jim
    6:32 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Pitt is overrated. They lost to UT, UofL and ND…
    If you dont remember, we beat all of those teams by an average of 12 or so.

52. UKChillFan
    6:52 pm March 7, 2011 Permalink

Next year could be a great year for BBN. First round games in Louisville and Nashville. Two of the regional are in St Louis and Atlanta. Final — New Orleans. SEC tourney next year — New Orleans. Yeah, it could be fun.