Cats last in ESPN’s 2013 football power rankings

With the college football season officially over, it’s never too early to look ahead, right? ESPN’s Chris Low released his first SEC Power Rankings for next season, and it doesn’t seem that Mark Stoops’ hire has inspired low to move the Cats from dead last in the rankings just yet:

14. Kentucky: New coach Mark Stoops has the toughest job in the SEC. The Wildcats were winless in the SEC this past season and were forced to play a frightening number of younger players. Stoops’ arrival should create some new energy around the program, and surely the Wildcats won’t suffer as many injuries as they did this season. Nonetheless, getting to .500 and getting back to a bowl game for the first time since 2010 will be a stretch for Kentucky.

Nowhere to go but up?

36 Comments for Cats last in ESPN’s 2013 football power rankings

1. UK Fan
    1:01 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Great legacy…thanks Mitch.

2. Pete
    1:04 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Thanks Joker…..glad to see you’re ruining the Florida receivers now!

3. G-Unit
    1:12 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Ole Miss went from 2-10 to 7-6 in 1 season…. UK could do it…

4. UK Fan
    1:16 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

#3…not as long as we have Barnhart and his superficial attempt to upgrade the program.

5. Chill out
    1:17 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

What did you expect? Can’t argue with this. Just have to prove it wrong. I believe Stoops can make a huge difference. With some luck, we can win a few games in 2013 but it will be hard to win 6 but we can hope. We have to give Stoops a few years to put his brand on the program and remove the taint of Joker Phillips’ ineptitude.

6. Barnhart
    1:20 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

1/4 I’m responsible for UK’s football legacy? Do you even know what that work means?

7. Barnhart
    1:20 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

*word

8. AbbyNormal
    1:22 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Totally expected. It is unfortunate that the program has sunk to this level, but Stoops is already doing things that our past headmaster did not do: Recruit top level players for our football team! I am excited for football season 🙂 Go Cats

9. FurdTurgason
    1:24 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Sixty years of suckage is not Barnhart’s fault. Building a football program at UK is like building a nice house in the Caribbean. Every couple of years another hurricane comes through and you start from the ground up again. We just can’t compete with the seven or eight football factories in the conference. Give me a coach who can win out in the non conference games and then pick off two or three in conference and I’m happy.

10. 502Cat
    1:25 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

We would have won 3 or 4 more games this season with a competent coach. I think Stoops can make a dramatic difference next year in coaching alone. The added talent won’t hurt either.

11. Jughead
    1:28 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Uh–no shiit. Brilliant observation.

12. LOONARDI
    1:29 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Cats #30 on the s-curve…..that makes us an 8-seed!
    Seriously an 8-seed!?!?
    Its like the freakin’ media and poll voters are TOTALLY dismissing every game we’ve played in the past month!

13. MJ4UK
    1:40 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

#12 this is a football thread take it elsewhere

14. LOONARDI
    1:44 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

#13 How bout that NHL strike ending????

15. Taylor
    1:51 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

That is terrible analysis. Clearly no homework was done and no facts were given. Another great job by the mothership.

16. Rockfield, KY
    1:55 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

4. Have you seen the Ole Miss stadium? It’s small and not very nice at all. Their lower level seats are bleachers and you can pay to have seatback for the season if you want. They are still winning. Joker has been the problem, not the AD. Joker would rather be a playboy than put in the extra time and effort that it takes to have a successful program.

17. Mitch Barnhart
    2:01 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, we were winning the Sugar Bowl before I arrived. We’ve been playing football for 100 years and half the bowl wins are during my tenure moron. We have to do something about the educational system in Kentucky because I don’t know how much longer I can deal with complete idiots.

18. Blue4ever
    2:03 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

I’ve been a fan of UK football since ’67. What the UofL win over Florida did for me was realize how badly UK football has been mismanaged over the past 70 years. In my mind there are no more excuses for UK football not being successful. I don’t want to hear “Successful football and basketball can’t co-exist; We don’t have enough in-state talent; We don’t have a big enough stadium; Our facilities are outdated; We’re too far north to attract the best talent from deep south…..”

I’m done with the administration’s excuses.

19. history taught you nothing
    2:08 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

#16 Are you serious?? UK football for all its history has a record under .500. NO COACH has left UK a winner in forever. UK FB has sucked except for Bear Bryant years, a few cheating years under Curci, and Rich Brooks overinflated record with a hundred bowl games only requiring a .500 record to get to one. Joker wasn’t the answer, he did not produce. But to say he is the problem is like saying the problem with the economy is people aren’t working. Its a lifelong problem with UK FB, no one coach is responsible.

20. PrintA T-shirt
    2:13 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

#17 But ewe fourgets we’z one the nashnal champyunship in 1950!!!! That thar iz onlee 63 yars!!!

21. Pain in Spain
    2:15 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

I think Mr. Low is worthy of a Grammy award. This is quite breaking news. UK was 2-10 with nearly the worst offense and defense ranking in DI.

22. buzzard
    2:21 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

well said #18…but hey, now that we are getting a renovated stadium that looks exactly like the old one and seats even fewer true fans, perhaps things will change.
    UK football fans are with out a doubt the most loyal fans in all of sports…we deserve better. If FREEKING Loserville can beat Fla. why in the hell can’t we beat them once every 20yrs or so?

23. Cats4Real
    2:24 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

UK will be bowl eligible this season. Stoops SEC Coach of the Year. Congress balances the budget(only if they join the SEC, but then we would not be an elite football conference). Leadership is Everything and I believe we have just got it in football. Watchout Mr. Saban, the Blue sunami is on the way, but it may take a few years to reach land.

24. J in Orlando
    2:31 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

We will most likely not make a bowl next year, especially with our brutal schedule. We may even be tied for the worst SEC record again. But I respect the efforts the administration is making to make our program respectable and beyond.

25. rick
    2:39 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Most of your posts are depressive as hell. I say we win them all next year, well all but 6

26. BigBlue
    3:07 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

20) That’s right! One more than UL! It’s been over 25 years since UL won their last NC in any sport of note!

27. Big Whoop
    3:20 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Considering what Stoops inherited, UK has no way to go but up. I am afraid UK fans are going to have to be patient. There will be no giant leaps. I will be satisfied with some visble improvement on the field and a decent (Top 30) recruiting class next year. If he can’t get it done, it will be obvious to all just as it was with Joker. I hope this time around we let the guy go at the end of year 2 if there is no improvement unstead of waiting ’til year three.

28. Rockfield, KY
    3:25 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

19. So have you blamed it on the AD every year that the team hasn’t been good? At least with Brooks we were getting to the post season. If it’s so easy for teams to get there and Brooks wasn’t anything special, why in the hell couldn’t Joker do it?

29. Blue Troll
    3:26 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Where is that guy that said a few days ago, that UK will be playing for the National Championship with 2 years? I’d like to hear that prediction again.

30. Al's IndiCats
    3:42 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

When you’ve been as low as whale shit for the last 3 years, the only way to go is up. I don’t see UK winning off the bat, but there again I don’t see us getting beat up every game either. I see Barnhart doing the right thing in hiring Stoops. This next few years we may even see us dominating UT and Auburn. Seriously WHO KNOWS?
    We may never take the SEC East but there’s one thing for sure, Stoops is getting the attention of more than a few 4* kids. It was a Helluva lot better than what Joker was doing, and since UF hired him, look how well it worked out for them.

31. coach
    3:50 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

UK football will have a record of 4-8 next year, 6-6 following year, 7-5 the next and that is to be expected. An above average year at UK would be winning season. I bleed blue, if you want to play football you go to the south schools, Georgia, Florida, Alabams, LSU, Miss schools, and yes even Tenn. Want to play basketball, you have no option but UK. I have been to 10 times more football games than basketballl, and had more fun at football tailgaiting even with the crap teams, but UK will at best be mediocre in the SEC, TRUTH IS TRUTH

32. buzzard
    4:22 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

#31…if Loserville can beat Fla. why can’t we? I think to say that we can never win the SEC is defeatist and I do NOT go along with that. I wonder if coach Stoops is thinking the best he will ever do at UK is go 7-5…..what’s that, maybe 2 SEC wins a yr…we can do better

33. Bobby Petrino
    4:53 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

What is all this “talent” you speak of Stoops is bringing in? He has landed a 4 star juco DE & a 3 star CB (He’s a 4 star on espn but 3 on the other recruiting sites)… Don’t trick yourself into believing he’s bringin in top SEC talent. We’re gonna beat you losers by 2 td’s down in Nashville next year

34. history taught you nothing
    5:09 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

#28 What are you talking about? I am not blaming the AD now or in the past. What I meant was the problems at UK started long before Joker and plenty of other coaches failed before him. It’s a culture of losing. And I liked Brooks and respected the job he did. But if you think it hasn’t gotten a whole lot easier to get to a bowl in the last 15 years or so (which included Brooks tenure) then you haven’t been watching much college football. Point being, most of the w/l records Brooks accomplished would probably not have gotten UK to bowl games 20 years or so ago.

35. coach
    6:48 pm January 8, 2013 Permalink

Coach stoops did his homework before taking the head coaching job in the tough SEC. win 6 games a yr at UK and fans are satisfied and might even name a street after you. expectations are not the same at uk as other SEC schools

36. JustPassinThru
    7:43 am January 9, 2013 Permalink

#32 Because if WKU can beat UK anything can happen…right?