Cats in the #12 seed play-in game in the latest Bracketology

The latest Bracketology is out and Joe Lunardi predicts the Cats will be paired with Villanova in the #12 seed play-in game in the West Bracket, with the winner facing #5 Ohio State in the second round in Kansas City. Kentucky is one of Lunardi’s last four in, along with Temple, Villanova and Ole Miss.

The #1 seed in the West? Gonzaga. Lunardi’s other #1 seeds are Indiana, Duke and Florida. He lists Louisville as a #3 seed playing #14 Valporaiso in Lexington.

Thoughts?

42 Comments for Cats in the #12 seed play-in game in the latest Bracketology

1. Laker Cat 18
    1:21 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Would rather not have a play-in game, but I’d take that bracket if it came down to it.

2. Sammydog
    1:22 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Not going to happen that way. Cats will not be a play in. Solid # 10 seed.

3. Deepblue
    1:24 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Ugh….the idea of a play-in game really blows. Those games will never feel like a legit part of the tourney no matter how much they try to play it up. If we lost it would feel like not even making the field…

4. mike
    1:29 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I would DEFINITELY take that if that were the bracket we were set up in. Really plays to Kentucky’s strengths in my opinion despite having to be in the play in game

5. Jeff
    1:29 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Could be the first team to win 7 games for the title!

6. Season Never Ends
    1:30 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I could honestly care less about Bracketology, it just leads to unneccesary worrying. And John Short says worrying is a sin.

7. James
    1:30 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

This is completely stupid and will never happen. Kentucky will either be in or they will be out, no play in will be necessary. This is all posturing by Lunardi and ESPN.

8. J.swann
    1:32 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

We could win that bracket,that would be like Duke’s easy ride every year! Cats would NEVER get an easy ride like that, too many haters.

9. DT in DC
    1:34 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone know why the 12 seeds are play in games? Why not the lowest seeds across the board?

10. Sounds good
    1:37 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I like that seed. Gives us a game against a beatable 5. Then a likely second round game with a beatable 4 or 13.

11. Pamoal
    1:40 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

# 9, I wondered the same thing, he also has a play in game for the #11 seed, Ole Miss and Temple.

12. brad
    1:40 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#9, DT–The answer to your question is that the NCAA committee recognizes that there are many at large bids that are much superior squads than the automatic bids that are awarded to terrible conferences’ tournament champions. The real problem comes down to the fact that these terrible conferences are awarded seeds in the round of 64 (now considered the 2nd round).

13. DT in DC
    1:43 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

12- I can see that, but if they are superior, why not just give them higher seeds than the teams that win automatic bids? I have no idea how they choose seeds, but I didn’t think the winner of a certain conference tourney automatically got, for example, a 10 seed.

14. Miller
    1:46 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Win these next 3 and Florida comes into Rupp on Julius Mays days with UK staring at a 5 seed for the tournament. I like that scenario if we can take care of business the next 3.

15. RealCatsFan
    1:46 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

How many years has it been since both Duke and UNC had to play their first round games outside the state or North Caroline? My guess: never.

Ohio St would have to be thrilled to potentially have UK as their first round opponent.

16. John
    1:46 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

You would think that the last at large teams selected would get the play in games.
    In this case it’s Virginia.
    My thoughts are if you win your conference (any conference) you should be part of the 64 team tourney.
    The last 4 in (not the winners of small confreences) should play the play in games and then be seeded as such. Most likely 12 or 13 seeds.

17. RealCatsFan
    1:47 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

oops, should be “state of North Carolina”

18. josh
    1:48 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

i love this bracket. dont love the fact we would be in a play in game though

19. RealCatsFan
    1:48 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

14, I would love to see the Cats win out, but even then I would be surprised if they could rise as far as a 5 seed. Would like to find out, though!

20. Wildcat Fan In MO
    1:53 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

This could happen. Kentucky fans sell out tournament games. I could see the committee wanting to sell out a game that people usually care less about.

21. Musehobo
    1:57 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

1. Due to our RPI, I’m guessing we will be a “play in” unless we beat Florida, or miss the tourney all together
    2. I hate the idea of being a “play in”.
    3. Still too early to be talking about matchups. Even if these guys get a few seeds correct, the few they miss throws off the entire bracket. Playoff matchup predictions are a joke.

22. Al Purnell here....It's GOOOOOOD
    2:03 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

If we do take care of business these next 3 games and go to the final game in the tourney, I could see us as 5 or 6 seed no problem….

23. Sweet
    2:04 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I like it.

24. I hate seeing typos
    2:05 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Valparaiso

25. Why Not a 16 Seed
    2:06 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I’d rather we be a 16 seed in a play-in game, then bounce a #1 seed. That would be priceless.

26. OSCAR'S DIAPER
    2:13 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

As long as we stay away from the 8-9 seed, i’m cool with it. I also like being in the same bracket as Gonzaga.

27. goukats
    2:15 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

So the current second place team in the SEC can only rate a play=in spot in the NCAA .Says a lot about the SEC.Does this mean the third and fourth place teams don’nt get in?

28. Navy Kat
    2:17 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Why are we sitting there as a #12 seed in the play in game and the Tar Holes are considered a tourney lock? I realize that their RPI is higher, but WTH?

29. Funny
    2:37 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Ohio State would love us!

30. RealCatsFan
    2:38 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

25, especially if IU were to be that #1 seed, right? I’m with ya, man!

31. Question
    2:41 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Is it theoretically possible for us to be a 16 seed if say we lost every single game this year and then win the SEC tournament?

32. worn out
    2:47 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Aren’t the play-in games on Tuesday. Would suck to play in the SEC tournament Friday, Saturday, and maybe Sunday, then head to Dayton for a play in game Tuesday. I’ll take it over the NIT though.

33. sfgsfh
    3:02 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Ohio State hasn’t forgotten the last time we came in as the underdog..

34. MJ4UK
    3:06 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

If there is any way that the NCAA can pull off this matchup, they will. I am pretty sure the attendance record for the play in game would be set that day

35. Scott Baio
    3:43 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Ohio State a 5 seed is a complete joke!! Their resume’ is very similar to UK’s, all be it they do have a few more quality wins (Michigan, Michigan St, and Wisconsin) all at home. They have lost their fair share of big games (similar to UK), and have also lost a few they shouldn’t have (similar to UK), but they remain a high seed. I’m by no means saying OSU doesn’t deserve in the tourney, but a 5 seed is rather high.

36. broncofan4life
    3:55 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

The only way this bracket would be complete is if they added Utah and Marquette….I hate how the committee has created “rivalries” in the NCAA tournament.

37. Questioning Ole Miss?
    4:29 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Why the Miss.respect from lunardi,CBS,etc.? Cats have a better RPI and SOS,beat them(I know before Nerlens)by 13 at thier place,and lead them in the SEC standings.

38. sunnycat
    5:03 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I would take that bracket in a heart beat

39. sunnycat
    5:09 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

35 Ohio States wins you listed are better than KY’s one quality win over Mizzou. If they don’t deserve a five seed then KY doesnt deserve a 12 seed.

40. Chicago Chris
    6:34 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

We’ll be the first team to win seven games in the tournament! It’s been Cal’s plan all along.

41. John Ellis
    7:02 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Won’t happen but would be a great way for more Cat fans to see them. UK is in good position (look at Alabama and Florida’s schedule) to be second or tie Florida for first in the SEC (you read it here first). Seed will rise.

42. Mt Washington cat fan
    9:08 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Guess we just got to win 7 straight.