Cats hanging steady in Lunardi’s Bracketology

bracketology-2-21

Kentucky remains seeded as a five in this weeks’ edition of ESPN Bracketology and gets what seems to be a fairly favorable draw from ESPN’s most void of personality personality.  The Cats would again be in D.C. and matched up with the winner of the Boston College-Gonzaga game with a chance at a beatable Villanova team up next.  Ohio State would be a very tough matchup as the bracket’s one-seed, but earning San Diego State and Notre Dame as the two and three seems to be a nice potential draw if the Cats could make it that far.  Hypothetically speaking, of course.  Interestingly enough, the SEC is tied with the Big 10 for the second-most teams in Lunardi’s tournament (six).

Here is where UK’s opponents this season ranked:

3 – Florida
4 – North Carolina
4 – UConn
4 – Louisville
5 – Vanderbilt
8 – Tennessee
10 – Alabama

Article written by Thomas Beisner

29 Comments for Cats hanging steady in Lunardi’s Bracketology

1. Richard Stansbury
    1:05 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

1st

2. Lex07
    1:14 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

Who was the “Y” at the South Carolina game? Was it Patterson? I must have missed the coverage of that…

3. knightynight
    1:15 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

it was Masthay. Patterson and Meeks were introduced earlier in the game.

4. roy
    1:15 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

2) Tim Mastay

5. BigBlueFan31
    1:17 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

Ohio State would be the worst draw for us. Their post play would kill us!

6. Lex07
    1:20 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

3) and 4). Thanks for the info. He must have smiled enough to please everyone, since I did not hear of any controversy about it. That’s why I was wondering…

7. TBone
    1:21 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

Agree about OSU.

After looking over the entire field, really only 3 or 4 teams I’d hate to face. Either we’re better than I originally considered or this is as week a NCAA field I can remember…

8. Mr. Obvious
    1:22 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

I would hardly consider this a favorable draw. Ohio State is the obvious roadblock and Nova’s press is incredible.

9. knightynight
    1:29 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

7) Until the NBA changes the rules to 2 years or straight from high school, I think we will continue to have “bad” NCAA fields.

10. Boogiewoogie
    1:30 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

Exactly #8. I don’t see this as favorable at all. Playing ‘Nova in the second round is no picnic. And then OSU after that? No thank you.

11. AKA cold buckets
    1:31 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

Villanova’s nothing special but knowing us they’ll probably shoot 14-20 from 3 if we play them.

12. Soap MacTavish
    1:34 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

I’d almost rather get bumped down to a 6-seed than come in as a 4 or 5-seed. Unless we’re a 4 or 5 in Duke’s bracket (assuming Duke is a 1-seed).

13. EyewearMan
    1:36 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

Why anyone likes pondering Mock NCAA Brackets is beyond me! I’ll be interested when the Actual Bracket is produced. Until then, just nonsense and Garbage!

14. yesterdays
    1:38 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

Impossible to predict what seed we will get or who we would match up with. I’d love to get nd and san diego state as the higher seeds. I think ohio state is very beatable. Our guards our way better than theirs. Who would guard jones on that team????

15. David Podgursky
    1:45 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

better than the last one but no way Georgia is in the same bracket as Kentucky as I doubt that there will be enough SEC teams in the NCAA this year to warrant that potential matchup – especially since they could win against Washington AND San Diego State!

Michigan State will also not be pitted against Ohio State as they could be the best two from the top and bottom of that bracket…

on the last one, I commented that there was no way it would work – but I can’t see that two of the top teams in the Big10, Villanova (top in Big East), and two SEC East teams would be thrown together like that. I hope SEC gets more than 4 into the tourney but Georgia may get the short end of the stick of they don’t. Kentucky, Alabama, Florida and Vandy are the only “locks” thus far… Tennessee may be a popular choice over Georgia especially if they end well…which would mean Tennessee and Georgia would have to be last two in from SEC and it just doesn’t look good for that this year.

Kentucky would have to win out to get a #3 seed I think …but again I can’t see them stacking that Kentucky, Villanova and Ohio State in the same bracket because I think all 3 could be Elite 8 and two could be final four teams. I don’t feel final four this year for our Cats…but Villanova could…Ohio State should… Michigan State can do it without any blue chippers… San Diego State is that popular west coast team as is Washington.

Washington, Villanova, UK, Ohio State were all picked top 10 teams that could be in Final Four by FoxSports…so that means they at least need to pull Villanova out to another venue to level the brackets.

It isn’t BAD but it just seems too off kilter.

16. I can't see the comments
    1:46 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

This bracket is WAY more favorable if you’re a six or a seven than a five… This would suck.

But it’s not like it matters anyway, there’s still a lof ot bball to be played and brackets are gonna change another 10 times…

Let’s win out. Let’s just do that. I mean we should totally do that.

17. David Podgursky
    2:02 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

also – look at the draws… with Washington DC getting Villanova, BC, & Connecticut they don’t need the ticket sales UK Brings!!

the West is completely unbalanced and light – I think Wisconsin could take that vs UConn in the Elite 8 and neither team would really be challenged. I bet UofL ends up out there at the end of the day because they get sent west a lot…and it is a good place for them to be forgotten and steal a win or two.

Southwest is a clusterforget… it is so hacked up – no way UK will be lined up against UofL for a 2nd Round Matchup a la 1983 … but I could see Charlotte wanting Kentucky for some billing…or Chicago if UK drops to a #6 seed or Tampa if they jump to a #3 instead of Florida who would move to Charlotte as Georgetown could have a loss or two more before the end of the season.

No – I don’t believe there should be any BETTING on this but in recent years these have been interesting predictors…
    as of right now, UK Fans are just drooling over the possibilities that the team won’t get lined up on murderers row like last week’s bracketology forecasted – and possibly getting further into the tournament than most believe the team really could given the lack of depth and leadership.

18. An Observation
    2:05 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

I fell asleep after the first hour of 15 & 17. I will wait for the book to hit ITunes.
    Is it true that the Louisville cheerleaders use Paintshop by Mary Kay?

19. Charles
    2:37 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

You forgot one of our opponents: Washington — 7 seed

20. JK
    3:08 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

Why didn’t you list Notre Dame (3 seed) on your list?

21. JK
    3:12 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

Georgia is the 10 seed in our bracket too.

22. SCCat
    3:38 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

My question is how the hell is Tenn even in the discussion for a bid? 11 losses and a losing conference record. At this point that doesn’t warrant an 8. they don’t even have the name recognition to hold it up.

As for our luck – I still am looking for a 3 seed if we can parlay Saturday into a big streak and get hot now. We’ll knock off two top 20 teams in the coming 2 weeks, and then winning the SEC Tourney would lock a 3 for the CAYTS…

23. Go Cats?
    3:41 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

Everyone putting us against Villanova in the 2nd round are the same people who will bitch and moan after the first weekend of the tournament because their brackets are busted. Don’t sleep on Charleston…

24. Frank Drebin
    3:52 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

Dont forget about the upsets people. This is bracket isnt bad at all!

25. catcrawler
    3:56 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

We need a 3 seed and I hope Georgia and Bama get in..

26. I can't see the comments
    4:25 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

Literally.

27. Thomas Beisner
    4:59 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

19-21: They’re all in UK’s bracket and already listed.

28. SCCat
    5:43 pm February 21, 2011 Permalink

Would not want Florida’s Draw with a possible WVU matchup in the second round after a sneaky good Coastal Carolina team in the first….Also Purdue has a good two headed monster with Moore and Johnson, and they have to beat them just to get to the 8?!? Ouch.

The thing that looking at these brackets proves is that no road is really easy if you don’t get that overwhelming 1 seed. We have our work cut out and we’re going to need to show we can beat good teams back to back. We’ll have the chance in the next couple of weeks to prove it.

29. DCCat15
    1:05 am February 22, 2011 Permalink

All that matters is the Cats coming to the Phone Booth. Would look to see BBN take over Chinatown as well…