Cats going after Montrezl Harrell?

According to Joe Davis of Scoutsfocus.com, Kentucky is in the hunt for Montrezl Harrell, a 6’7″ 235 lbs. PF from North Carolina committed to Virginia Tech, who may be seeking release in the coming days. If granted, Kentucky, NC State, Pitt, Providence, Louisville, Xavier, Cincinnati and Alabama are expected to make a push for the 14th best PF in the 2012 class (Scout.com).

You want some highlights? Okay.

52 Comments for Cats going after Montrezl Harrell?

1. Ciggy
    2:03 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

sounds good to me

2. JohnBlinkylightGuy
    2:04 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Tyler, Drew and Matt, stop posting stuff about recruits without their ranks, it’s causing me to click a few more buttons on my computer than I want to.. haha

3. Sexington
    2:05 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Warrrrrrriorrrrs comeeeee out and playayaayay. At uk.

4. JohnBlinkylightGuy
    2:05 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Sorry Tyler, you did. It’s Drew and Matt.. Jerks(;

5. Jezz
    2:08 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Not confident about Bennett huh ? Cal can get it done, I believe !

6. Hartline
    2:15 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Would this be a multiple year guy? Looks like a type of player we would want.

7. tyrus
    2:21 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Montrezl like every other recruit knows where he wants to go but will wait till the last day to announce. Kind of like college players waiting weeks to announce they’re entering the draft but knew the moment their season ended, they were NBA bound. I have yet to see the upside to always delaying this crap. Bunch of freaking attention hounds. Sorry Ms. T. missed lunch and so I’m not myself right now. Maybe a need a Snickers. GO REDS!

8. Blue Balls
    2:22 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Kid plays hard as hell and is very humble in his interviews. I’ll support him whether he goes here or not.

9. James K
    2:22 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Slightly more raw version of Bennett, honestly.

10. ALUKfan
    2:23 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

I’ve heard a few things about him but not a whole lot. I know when watching one of the highschool allstar games they were talking about him so he must be pretty good. I believe he got MVP of one of the regional Jordan Brand Classics. Seems to be an undervalued player. Could be a good pick up if we can’t land Bennett.

11. Tebkats
    2:31 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Saw this kid play in the preliminary game at the Jordan Brand Classic. He was much more impressive than Bennett. Of course, the competition he was playing against was less than the All-American game. But he was more willing to battle it out inside than Bennett seemed to be.

12. Scott Co (Public School Champs)
    2:32 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Montrezl Harrell played at Hargrave last season which is coached by former high school great A.W. Hamilton. Who played at Scott Co and help Scott Co win a state championship in 1998 & a runner up finish in 1999. Montrezl also visit Kentucky with his team in January to play 2 games in Georgetown. So maybe he enjoyed his team here and wants to come back to play for Kentucky, plus I’m sure his coach would push for him to come play for his home state!

13. Bradley
    2:33 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Nice highlight reel, but can he dunk?

14. Joe
    2:37 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

works a lot harder than bennett, may not have the overall skill level but crashes the board relentlessly. would love to see him be a cat as well as bennett

15. Neil
    2:39 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Sign him up!

16. Bill Hedden
    2:42 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

My friend Dave Shelton says this guy sux.

17. dat guy
    2:45 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

FO SHEZEL MONTREZEL!

18. SeoulCat
    2:52 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Jeeeezus. This guy attacks the rim like it insulted his mother.

19. Anthony Davis
    2:52 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

I may have stayed in Lexington for 6 months, but geezz…get me out of Hazard. I’m over it, heading to Charlotte. You can’t even pay me to stay in Kentucky anymore.

20. Han
    2:52 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Is this to pressure Bennett or Jefferson to commit?

21. Han
    2:54 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Why would he decommit? Just curious.

22. cat45
    2:56 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

reminds me of a right handed jones

23. BigBlueAces
    2:57 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

21…VaTech just fired there Coach.

24. Terrance Jones
    2:57 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Reminds me of me A Lot!

25. BigBlueAces
    2:57 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

*their….

26. Rockfield,KY
    3:00 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

We need a guy that crashes the boards hard. I think we’ll be weak there next year compared to what we’ve had recently. This guy would be perfect. He’d be here 2-3 years if we got him and I’d be willing to bet Cal could help him round out his game and get him drafted.

27. Han
    3:04 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

23) Thanks. Didn’t know.

28. DB
    3:07 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

He get off the floor in hurry.

29. Milescat
    3:12 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

12) also, his assistant coach played for Lex. Catholic.

30. Marcus L. Owens
    3:12 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

I like him.

31. Laker Cat 18
    3:15 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Impressive. Better than I was expecting. I’d like to Add Harrell, Bennett, & the kid from Xavier to finish up the class.

32. TAXman
    3:26 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, he can ball pretty well, but can he grow a flat top?

33. AMIRITE
    3:30 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

dude look 56 years old

34. Sean
    3:31 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

#18 – You’re cracking me up dude!! But damn you are correct!!

35. TAXman
    3:31 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

These high school mixtapes always bother me. What really can you gather from an obviously good player balling against horrible competition? Sure he’s good, but it would be like watching dwight howard play against adam morrison.

36. PittDaddy
    3:35 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

The freeze frame at the beginning of the video cracks me up. Little chubby guys is like “you get on your knees and I’ll jump off your back.” White boy is peeing down his leg. Harrell reminds me of Zeus before he beat up Hulk Hogan.

37. Cats Fan
    3:45 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

having a hard time seeing this kid as the 14th best power forward. not so sure that i have seen 13 better players in that position than what this kid has shown. reminds me a little of MKG, the way he likes to take the ball to the hoop. i hope he comes our way.

38. Dukesuxs
    3:46 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

With the players Cal could get next year I think we go after the kid from UX and Bennett.Dont think we use to many scholarships on projects.We have no seniors next year and probably will be Cals best class ever next year.He very well could get 5 of the top 9.Its good to be UK right now.Instead of Tubby’s years of no big players Cal could have to turn down a top ten player.

39. CatFanNVaBeach
    3:53 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

I would rather get A. Bennett and T.Graham or A. Jefferson and Graham…Lyons kid is a head case. I’ll trust in Cal for now…he’s done pretty good so far. 🙂

40. God'sCountry
    3:54 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

I would love to see this kid in Blue & White! He looks like a real athlete, not just a big body.

41. Jack
    3:54 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Honestly, I think just from the highlight tape above he looks a hell of a lot better than the 14th best PF. Seeing him develop over the course of 4 years would be amazing to watch. He looks to have a high ceiling and I would love to have him. As I said last night, could you imagine having a team like this:
    PG Ryan Harrow
    SG Archie Goodwin
    SF Alex Poythress
    PF Anthony Bennett
    C Nerlens Noel
    Bench
    PG Mark Lyons
    PF Amile Jefferson
    C Willie Cauley-Stein
    PF Kyle Wiltjer
    PF Montrezl Harrell
    PG/SG Twanny Beckham
    SG Jon Hood
    Whether this scenario is realistic or not, that is to be determined. I do feel like we will get at least two of the Lyons/Bennett/Jefferson/Harrell Sweepstakes. All four would make our team easy Championship favorites. Adding none will make us contenders. Add any as we wish and it only adds depth and strength on the inside and makes our team better and better. This team above could go down as one of the most talented teams of all time considering all of the talent going into the team. Whether they produce at the Championship level from the start as the 11-12 Cats did is a different story. Trust Cal to snag who he wants and who he trusts with our program as you have seen in the past. We will be very successful next year, and adding any of the players by transfer/recruiting, we will be even better. I hope for the best and snag all 4, but only time will tell.

42. scoops
    4:01 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

tubby to va tech write it down.

43. FlaCatz
    4:10 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

I think he puts the ball on the floor QUICKER and smoother than Terence Jones..

44. duke sux
    4:41 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

#42 You could be right.The fans of Minn. want him out.Any were as long as not here.He absolutely drove UK in to the ground.

45. Larry
    4:56 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Grand Mama is back!!!!

46. Mkgistebow
    5:11 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

37 you are right on. This guy can flat out play. I’ve always felt he was underrated, maybe I’m missin something??? what more can you ask for from a 6’7 18 yr old POWER forward?!

47. NL
    5:55 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

please please please! I think we need guys like these to come in and spark the team, keep it physical down low, etc…

48. ppat
    6:09 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Reminds of PPat. Would be a great player to add depth and more than likely add experience in the future.

49. gog8ors
    6:43 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Well, this should give cat fans a big hint that they aren’t getting Bennett, just as I have been saying for weeks. He’s ranked as the 14th best PF and people on here are saying he is better than Bennett. Yeah, right. There is a reason he was committed to Va.Tech., because he wasn’t good enough to go anywhere better. Sounds like a good choice to me. LOL

50. Marvin
    8:10 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

Marvin Stone Part Deux?

51. NKYHoops5
    11:01 pm April 24, 2012 Permalink

This kid honestly wants to tear the rim off with every dunk. Looks great in the highlight film, but who doesn’t. The question with all these transfer players has got to be the red flags.ost of the time they are the selfish players that aren’t wanting to share the basketball. Or they want #9

52. Kataclysm
    12:16 am April 25, 2012 Permalink

Cal will own the PT, so I know Cal will be honest with him and let him know who owns the PT.

Can he fit in? The quality of his attitude may determine if he comes to UK or not. All at the mercy of zCal.