Cats do their best to close the coffin on the season

201303071921697011089-p2

For seven glorious minutes, it was Jon Hood’s world and we were all just living in it. Hood scored four points, pulled down three rebounds and looked poise to take the throne as the King of Madisonvil–

Oh wait, it’s not that kind of recap? Damn. If you wanted the positive stuff from tonight’s game, you might as well stop there.

After Kentucky’s devastating 72-62 loss to Georgia, Willie Cauley-Stein slumped against the wall in Stegeman Coliseum and searched for answers. His team had just lost a must-win game on the road against a mediocre Georgia team, but in reality, the biggest opponent may lie within. Cauley-Stein echoed the ominous issues that have simmered under the surface all season: certain players on this squad just don’t want to change. “You can’t coach a mentality. …You’ve got to want to do it. If you don’t want to do it, then that’s how it is. You’re not going to change and it’s going to continue to kill us in the end.”

It’s not hard to figure out what he was talking about. Alex Poythress was the main offender, playing 19 minutes and only scoring four points and grabbing four rebounds. If Alex wasn’t in the game, he was on the bench with Cal in his ear. At times in the second half, it was clear he had given up and was just going through the paces. Ryan Harrow wasn’t much better, and Cal was so disappointed in his effort in the first half that he told Ryan to go out “take 20 shots” in the second half. “Just go play. I don’t need you being tentative.” Harrow showed some signs of life, but ultimately fouled out on a dumb play with three minutes left.

Kyle Wiltjer? Essentially a non-factor, minus a few late threes. Julius Mays? Didn’t score a single point, although he appeared to be hampered by an injury late in the game. Everyone says strong guard play is the key to this team, but poor shooting was their Achille’s heel tonight. Kentucky shot a dismal 37.1%, with their two sharp-shooters, Kyle Wiltjer and Julius Mays, combining for 5-20 from the floor. How do you know things are bad? When you’re forced to rely on Archie Goodwin to hit threes.

About Archie. Archie’s got his issues and more than his fair share of “OMG dumb” moments (including an absolutely epic one in the second half), but he was one of the few players that didn’t give up tonight. He saw his team in trouble and once again tried to put them on his back, but unfortunately it was too late. For some reason, when the team is down by double digits, Archie enters “savior mode” and all the infuriating shots that usually don’t go in do. Archie was brutally honest in his postgame remarks to the media, which may say more about the emotional state of this team than any box score would. When asked what he would say to the fans that have given up on this season, Archie said he wouldn’t blame them: “If we haven’t changed over the direction of the season, it doesn’t look like anything’s going to change. …We’re not giving them a reason to believe in us.”

goodwin-uga

What’s the difference between the team that beat Missouri and the team that lost so badly tonight? That’s a question that even stumped Cal. “Hmm, how much time do I have? What time does the bus leave?” Cal reiterated that some players on the team just don’t have the will to win, nor understand that they have to prove themselves. In typical Cal fashion, he took the blame for this squad’s problems: “I am so disappointed in the job I’ve done with this team, I can’t even tell you. If this is the point we’re at, what I saw tonight, I’ve done a crap job.

To their credit, Willie Cauley-Stein and Archie Goodwin said that tonight’s loss was on themselves and that this has nothing to do with Cal. But, according to Cal, they’re the only ones that are willing to do that: “That’s two out of twelve.” Cal mused that he’s never had a team that’s played less cohesively than this one, which was all the more apparent listening to Willie and Archie talk about their teammates.

Logistically, what caused the Cats to lose? Poor shooting, defensive breakdowns and letting Georgia out-muscle them under the basket. What really killed the Cats? A lack of discipline and will to win. Cal said this team doesn’t have the discipline to close out games, which he blamed himself for, but ultimately, it comes down to the players on the court and how much they want it. Not many of them did tonight.

Where do we go from here? Kentucky has two chances to extend their season: beat Florida on Saturday and/or win the SEC Tournament. After tonight’s pathetic performance, the likelihood of Kentucky pulling either of those off is low. The Cats had the opportunity to secure the #2 seed in the SEC Tournament on a silver platter. The atmosphere was primed for it, with over 50% of the fans wearing blue. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope even tried to help them out, going cold in the second half. But Kentucky turned their back on the opportunity and walked out the door. The fatal flaws that have plagued them all season have become their identity, and if the postgame remarks are any indication, there is some serious separation behind the scenes.

There’s plenty to play for. On Saturday, the program will say goodbye to Twany Beckham and Julius Mays, who, despite a bad night, has gone above and beyond what was expected of him in his one short year. Willie said he hopes they can give him the sendoff he deserves: “I hope it clicks. I really do. I feel bad for our seniors, especially Julius. I want him to go out feeling like he played his best and got to the tournament.” Even more haunting were Willie’s words about the uncertainty that comes with the off-season and the possibility that some his teammates, other than the seniors, won’t be around much longer.

Sure, as Cal said, “beat Florida Saturday at noon and this all goes away,” but this group only has 36 hours to remedy some serious problems. Judging by the looks on the players’ faces as left Stegemen Coliseum, it may already be over.

165 Comments for Cats do their best to close the coffin on the season

1. Johnny bball
    11:08 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

We are the laughing stock of college bball.

2. End of Season!
    11:10 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

It better be over. Fed up with these p*****s

3. Steady
    11:10 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Another KSR writer defending Mays? Shocking!

4. Wildcatsteeler
    11:13 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Hopefully Saturday will be a goodbye to Poythress, Goodwin and Harrow will transfer/quit. Noel is gone. Hopefully Cauley will return but I doubt it. The bright side? Summer is near, then football season then a loaded team next season. It will get better.

5. Cal'sDCups
    11:14 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Since it is obvious coaching is not an option, maybe cal should come up with more clever games to play. Dodgeball did not work. Maybe they can try playing pick up sticks with their butt cheeks.

6. Mike
    11:14 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

1. Agree….I have said that almost weekly. This is the WORST UK team I have ever seen and Cal confirmed that with his “not cohesive” comments after game. We are one of the worst passing teams I have ever seen, we can’t hit the three or defend the three, we can’t get our share of loose balls, we can’t complete the lob or backdoor cuts, and have no BB IQ at all. I did respect Goodwin’s comments after the game and with the exception of WCS, no one else was even trying to win this game. I realize he can’t call out his teammates in public but hope is doing so privately. I was also hoping that NN might have a more positive influence on this team since his injury but apparently not.

7. Johnny bball
    11:14 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

I honestly think we should close up shop and quit. I have been following my cats since the 60s and I have never been more frustrated. Cal is laughing at the end of the game but aint nothing funny to me. Pouthress is a girl, harrow is clueless, AG is out of control, and this list goes on and on. We do not deserve this poor of a product on the basketball floor. Cal had better figure out how to get all stars to play together because the same thing is going to happen next year. We are KENTUCKY BASKETBALL and this year has been flat out pathetic.

8. So Sad
    11:15 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Any NBA gm that drafts any of these guys in the first round accept injured Noel. Should be fired! They have no heart all they are thinking about is potential NBA money.

9. Smitty
    11:18 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

As tough as this season has been, if I knew that we would go Elite Eight, Final Four, CHAMPS, NIT I would take it…. We all would. Let’s not do anything too crazy…… I have a security camera on my couch just in case.

10. Sherlock Holmes Hall
    11:18 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Poythress is a riddle wrapped in an enigma on a team that’s an unsolvable mystery.

11. Wildcat Willie
    11:18 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Don’t beat yourself up too bad Cal. You took those guys to a title last year and you will probably do it again next year. Appreciate you taking the blame away from these kids and putting it on yourself. Class Act. Archie has been playing his butt off these last few and its not his fault the refs seem to hate him. I really hope some of these kids do search their hearts and decide if they are going to put it all out there on the court because it really seems like they aren’t. How does Poythress only come up with 3 FG attempts tonight?? That is the biggest mystery to me. The guy shoots it at an amazing %. The offense should run through him IMO but for whatever reason nights like tonight happen and he only gets up 3 shots. This has to change. For us to win Alex needs to be getting up double digit shots EVERY NIGHT. I’m not putting this on his teammates not getting him the ball, its on Cal it’s on Alex and its on his teammates. Thats my .02 for the night.

12. Elvis Is Alive
    11:19 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Florida loss make all this go away, huh? I wish I could wave a wand and give these Tin Men some hearts. At least it will be over soon.

13. I'm Over It
    11:19 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

The lack of maturation from this team is unbelievable. To play the same if not worse than you did in December is completely unacceptable, especially when you have freshmen. How in the world a freshmen regresses is beyond me. If you’re a senior led team, ok, you may be what you are from December – March. Hope Rupp is rowdy and ready to pull off what is looking like the impossible on Saturday.

14. Jim
    11:19 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Please, please, just let it end. Two more games and maybe it will be over ………….

15. Turner the Burner
    11:19 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

9. Get out of here. After the past 25 years that IU has had, you have no room to talk about ANYTHING.

16. Stat
    11:20 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Well we have had team turmoil…what do we call this one….team no heart….team dip$&it…team disappointment…team no chemistry…the list could go on and on…

17. jaws2
    11:21 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

I hope all these guys come back so they can ride the bench and watch the new freshmen play next year. No way Cal misses this 2 years straight. I’ll give Archie his due, he’s got that drive to the hoop fall down move mastered.

18. bung
    11:22 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

FAST BREAK POINTS 1 2 – Tot
    Kentucky……………. 2 0 – 2
    Georgia…………….. 2 6 – 8

19. Mike
    11:22 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Alex Poythress….er Alex Rhodes…we would gladly accept your resignation. You accepted the scholarship to represent our great university and apparently had no intention of honoring your committment to same. You could not be self motivated, couldn’t be motivated by your teammates, the BBN, your parents, or your coaching staff. You have been the biggest 5* dud in UK history. You may be a great kid but you are gutless and need to move on.

20. Laker Cat 18
    11:23 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Poythress is the most over-rated player to ever come to UK. Ever. Freakin ever.

21. bung
    11:23 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Jon Hood was the best player on the floor tonight…he needed more minutes…

22. yoyoyoyoyyoy
    11:25 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

While this is obviously not a very good season, I still care for these kids. Not all may have fully bought in to Cal’s system, but I do feel for their being under the microscope. I wish them all the utmost success in their careers going forward. It did not work out this year but they are still great kids. Great class coming in and I would love any of these kids to come back and work hard in the off-season to come attempt the grab for #9.

23. Korean Tacos
    11:25 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t hear the postgame interviews. What remakes were said that makes it seem like there’s friction among players?

24. bung
    11:25 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

we need some training in running the break…we don’t understand the different options within the break…you can fast break without looking like a fool…

25. RKA
    11:26 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

To read these comments are embarrassing. To think that this is the worst KY team that you have seen or that Cal in someway better get his act together is the talk of idiots. This team has clearly has not achieved the goals that they set for themselves and to think that “We are Kentucky” and deserve better is ludicrous. Every year is not going to be 2011-2012 so get off the damn computer/blogs, go kiss your kids, put your big boy pants on and get a life.

26. Wildboi
    11:27 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Was I the only one who noticed how biased Boob Knight was while announcing that game…whoever thought it was a great idea to have him announce a UK should be stoned. He made it blatantly obvious who he was rooting for. He’s a piece of Shi….

27. bunged
    11:29 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

I remember when i learned the fast break in 1 week

28. Steve
    11:30 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

2011-13, the Uncoachables. At least after this we can unequivocally say calipari does not, in fact, have a magic wand.

29. Them
    11:33 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Poor Coach Cal. must repeat the same mantra over and over again. Will someone in Lexington please give that team a big stick so they can kill the 50-50 balls, Maybe they can hold onto a dead ball. Great free throw shooters, well at least the throw part is right.

30. bung
    11:33 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

extrapolating says Hood has 20 points and 15 rebounds if he played 35 minutes…it also says 25 defensive rebounds and 1 fast break basket is a team that doesn’t know what its doing…

31. Just to clarify
    11:34 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Achilles not Achille’s

32. Eric K
    11:38 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

The real BBN is behind this team! All the Haters can suck it!! IN CAL WE TRUST!! GO CATS!!

33. 38
    11:38 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

I would be to sure of that the loosiers arnt as good as you think.

34. Adam
    11:40 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

This years team makes me finnaly realize what my parents meant when they said, “We’re not mad at you, we’re just disappointed.”

35. Mike
    11:41 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

I wish someone on the team would punch AP out but no one has the guts….same story as all year long.

36. Them
    11:41 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

When I was 12, I remember watching games at the old Alumni Gym, the first Fab Five. Today I’m 81 and remember when Rupp only won 14 games if memory serves me right, There are bad years,

37. Seriously
    11:41 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

I’ve never in my life looked at a U of L or IU fansite or blog. The fact that their fans troll KSR tells me how pathetic they are. They think they can inflame us with their childish comments and ass-hattery sums up their relevance to college basketball.

38. ugg
    11:43 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

52 i hate to do this but they did in 02 i believe

39. Real talk
    11:44 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Everyone in this recruiting class were dude plain and simple. I never noticed it till tonight. THEY’RE JUST NOT THAT GOOD. We had hood polson and wiltjer in half the game at once. Poythress looks like he hates basketball and Goodwin is the same player he was in December

40. Han
    11:45 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

We won the title last year, had an unexpected Final Four the year before, and next year is gonna be insane. But this year’s team needs to show up. The guy who cared the most has to sit on the bench, waiting to have his knee surgery, and every one of the guys still playing needs to remember he’d kill to have their healthy knee.

I’ll be at Rupp Saturday cheering my ass off, but any chance of a win is gonna take some real heart and effort and killer instinct from several guys who’ve rarely shown it. Florida’s gonna want to come in and destroy us, and then destroy in the SEC tourney, to try to prove they deserve a 1 seed. (Odds are one of the current 1 seeds will lose again, as it’s been that kind of year.)

It can’t all be Willie, and it certainly can’t be Archie (though he’ll try). Guys like Harrow, Poythress, Wiltjer, etc. have to play like they want to keep playing. Harrow watched a team play with their hearts on their sleeves last year, and Wiltjer was a notable part of it. It’s time to show you care, guys.

Cal, maybe it’s time to go back to dodge ball.

41. Han
    11:47 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

28) He did point out 3-4 times Georgia got away with travels. He actually seemed a lot less anti-UK tonight. Almost resigned, really. Maybe he wasn’t as anti-UK because he knows we’re having a bad year.

42. bung
    11:49 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

our coaching staff doesn’t believe in the fast break…it doesn’t know how to teach it…I think I remember them laughing at 3 passes and a basket with the ball not touching the floor…Coach Rupp’s info on that is available in case they would like to score some points instead of volunteering to go into our impotent half court mess…

43. Kyle
    11:50 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

I’m pretty sure booby knight… Called Georgia “the dongs” and then preceded to start referring to a foul as a “reach around”. Pure entertainment. About the most entertainment I got out of tonight’s beat down.

44. SilverLining
    11:54 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Lost in all this is Poythress’ assist binge tonight! Three brings his season total to 19!

Seriously, he has 39 assists+steals+blocks TOTAL for the year (less than Polson, by comparison), along with 147 fouls + turnovers. I’ve just never seen anyone that athletic that is so incredibly inefficient. It’s one thing to not buy into your coach, but he doesn’t really buy into anything at all. Usually that, plus the embarrassingly-low assist total, would mean a player was incredibly selfish. However, since December 1st, he has taken more than nine shots in a game only twice, and five or fewer shots 11 times. What a complete enigma.

45. bung
    11:55 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

we have scored 60 and 62 points last 2 games…lets not change anything…

46. Kyle
    11:56 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

It is what it is folks. We one a title last year. Lost everyone. EVERYONE. Most programs would be devastated. Fortunately we have Calipari. And he took us to a 20-10 record with a heralded recruiting class and they just underachieved. Most programs would have taken 2-3 years to get back on top. We lost everyone and still had a better season than IU had for like 10 years in a row. We’ll be alright. These are just 18year old kids. When I was 18, I was patrolling for poo-nanny and trying to score some free beer. UK’s gonna be just fine. Lets just root for Duke and KU to lose this year: and chalk it up for next year and go at it full speed!!!

47. Scott
    11:56 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Any one that seriously ?’s Cal as UK coach is a fool. Like Ten loss Tubby and Crazy A$$ Clyde days were better. It’s been a challenging season. Big deal, look at the body of work over last 4 years.

48. Kyle
    11:56 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

Snap… Won* a title

49. bung
    11:57 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

never play Hood…someone might ask why we didn’t do it sooner…

50. Disappointed
    11:59 pm March 7, 2013 Permalink

You all act like we are at full strength. I mean, now you see how important Nerlens was, teams aren’t scared of Willie. Nerlens erased a lot of mistakes, but he’s gone. Cal’s teams have the top PG every year, this year we had a pg who has been mentally and physically weak. Harrow was never the leader this team needed. I said at the beginning of the season, “cal should’ve recruited someone else, because Harrow will be the death of us”. To be honest, we should’ve stuck with Archie at the point, at least he drove the ball and looked for teammates. Cal is used to having weapons at every position, that makes opponents pick their poison, but if there is no one to find people when they’re open then how good are they? Alex has shown flashes but he also has shown that he can’t create for himself, he isn’t a self starter, Willie is a project, julius, kyle, jarrod, and John aren’t the type of talent that can stay on the floor long because of their defensive liabilities (quickness, size, etc).. All 5* players aren’t the same, Cal struck out with these guys.

51. Kyle
    12:00 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

If anyone really thinks this year is that bad, lets just go back to the days of Michael Porter running point, our coach getting DUI’s, and getting owned by VMI and Gardner-Webb. (Two teams I had never heard of until they beat us)

Take a step down from that ledge my friends.

52. Tennessee Wildcat
    12:01 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

When I see Alex Poythress play, I think about Richard Madison from the mid 80s and Archie Goodwin reminds me of James Blackmon. Both Madison and Blackmon were either over-rated, or under-performed at UK during the latter Joe B and early Eddie Sutton years, and so far, this is what I am seeing from Alex and Archie. It simply is what it is. We just can’t score points with this team. No offense and we are a terrible half court team. For the life of me, I can’t figure out this team. Just disappointing.

53. Kyle
    12:02 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Calipari still wins 20 and its a down year.

54. Scott
    12:04 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Top Gun, butt cuts(I think Steve Alford still has a butt cut), leg warmers, hair bands, arcades, VHS tapes, big hair, etc…

Things that were popular the last time IU won title.

55. Kyle
    12:05 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I do agree though that Cal needs to recruit a little deeper. He needs to find a few true practice players. Some guys that could actually play some roles in games. Especially defensively. Hopefully, we can score a few guys like this Hawkins kid, who really look athletic and can contribute.

56. disbelief
    12:06 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I love Ky basketball, I am excited about the young men on this teams future because they have one.Unlike many of you not all on this blog have no life. except the 3 b’s bourbon, blow up dolls and bitching these are 17 to 20 year young man with excessive pressure on them much created by large group of you. so lets give them break as if they were your son, brother or relative.
    for those i am talking too the only pressure you experience is when you let the air out of your dolls or get close to a grill when you cook out

57. John
    12:06 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Did anyone see Willie Cauley Stein’s postgame remarks? He had a good idea that I had never thought of. He said the whole team needs to go to church together and start praying for one another. Lol Might as well try it cause nothing else has worked.

58. EyewearMan
    12:06 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I’d rather see Jon Hood hustle then watch Arche play 1 on 5! Seasons over folks. Lets give Hood some minutes! I realize Cal didn’t recruit him, but out of high school, he was Mr. Basketball, & a Top 40 player! He needs more minutes!

59. Wow
    12:07 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I thought Archie was the poison on this team 15 games ago. Boy was I wrong. The kid from Tennessee has killed us. Imagine that. I was pumped about Poythress at the beginning of the season, now I hope Cal sits his ass on the bench. What a waste

60. Kyle
    12:10 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

57) hilarious. Also zenith TVs, beepers, Alf, Charles in Charge, thriller jackets, and inspector gadget.

I like this game. Please more people chime in….

61. unmanned drone overhead
    12:11 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

7- you do not sound in your rant as if you have anywhere near the maturity one would expect from someone who has “followed the Cats since the 60’s”…but besides that…where were you last year? I believe you are just some troll…fake UK fan…”pretending” to diss Coach Cal…as if it is coming from an actual, real fan…just trying to “stir the pot”…if somehow you actually ARE a REAL UK fan…then you are a freakin’ idiot and a retard…go become an IU fan or something…you’ll fit right in…and for sure…do not come around next season when we kicking butt and taking names…and say how “awesome” the team is and how “great” Cal is…beat it…

62. Kyle
    12:13 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Fragile rock, cosbys, donkey kong

#lasttimeIUwonatitle

63. Kyle
    12:14 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Gremlins, he-man, reebok pumps

#lasttimeIUwonatitle

64. Whit
    12:15 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I think that just because we have been spoiled doesn’t mean we aren’t allowed to be disappointed. This disappointment just stems from the the sum of the parts being greater than the whole. These are just 7 guys who can’t play together, point blank.
    Believe me, not pining for BCG at all, but I was as proud of the first Clyde team when they took Marquette to the wire in round 1 with Crawford/Bradley/and nothing else, as I have been of any team in recent memory. They maximized their potential and gave everything they had. Conversely, the following year was a wretched disappointment because a healthy Patterson and Meeks should have done so much more than win a game in the NIT, even if me and a couple friends were filling out the rest of the starting lineup.
    Final fours and championships aren’t everything, and I credit most Kentucky fans for not giving in the national stereotype of how crazy we are, and calling for Calipari’s head. Nobody’s doing that, and I’m glad. I think what a lot of people are trying to say though is that the powerful stench from this season has eroded much of the euphoria from last year, and none of us were prepared for that to happen so quickly.

65. Kyle
    12:17 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Slap bracelets, teen wolf, full house

#lasttimeIUwonatitle

66. KantEvenGetIntoNIT
    12:18 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

so gLaD 2see BBN go DOWN, as the Commonwealth gave/elected IDIOTIC Rand Paul to Senate, so for that alone the entire Commonwealth ought to suffer lonnnng & hard, and many seasons of frustration & losing, both on the hardwood & gridiron
    LMAO

67. Wow
    12:19 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Just wonder if any “Big” program would take Poythress after watching him quit on this team time and time again…I would think not. If he will quit on this team he will quit on any team.

68. notsurprised
    12:19 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

The behind the scenes part hit home with me. I warned someone on here within the last month that things were bad with this team. From what I’m hearing on here and some other source it’s even worse than I thought.No team chemistry at all. Maybe the whole story will be told after the season is over.

69. Mark Liptak
    12:19 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Well boys, expect to see you again next year, some of you sure as heck aren’t going to the NBA. Enjoy sitting on the bench next year behind the new group of kids who hopefully will “buy in” to what Cal is trying to do.

Mark Liptak

70. Dell Griffith
    12:22 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

5. You would have better luck finding a 3 legged ballerina than a UK team that actually gives a shit.

71. Kyle
    12:24 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

LA Gear, golden girls, reading rainbow

Take a look its in a book…

#lasttimeIUwonatitle

72. Whit
    12:26 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

67, not sure, but I can’t see him sitting out a year and I just can’t think of a system he would thrive in…he’s just too passive. Cal has tried complete freedom with him, and also tightened the reins….neither has worked. As 44 pointed out, look at those stats….just unbelievable. The position that he and Goodwin are in is just so unprecedented….not being good enough to keep a freshman from taking their minutes next year, while simultaneously not being bad enough to fall out of the first round of this year’s draft. And even if they defy the odds, come back and thrive next year, the 2014 draft is going to be so loaded that it won’t do them any good. This draft is so bad that the guy’s in the back half of the first round are almost bound to spend the majority of the year in the D-league, but it’s worth it for the guaranteed contract.

73. 3 goggles
    12:27 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

It’s going to be funny reading everyone’s comments at 2 pm on Saturday after we beat Florida

74. Kyle
    12:32 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Hungry Hippo, macho man and slim Jims, cursive writing
    #lasttimeIUwonatitle

75. Al's IndiCats
    12:39 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Listen all you trolls who love to come in here and blow us a bunch of crap, I’m happy for you that you found a place to congragate and tap dance your little heart’s content….Good for you, but if you would just let me just make one little suggestion for you
    AND THAT IS…You pieces of bottom dwelling whale excrements, you all weren’t all that freaking rosey these last 4 years were you? Hell this time last year all you Uvel fans were ready to throw your fornacating coach in the river without a life vest. because he was throwing every player you had under the bus as if it was their fault not his.
    You jag in the bag, clown warmup wearing POS were too busy making faces on popcorn boxes and erecting trophy cases for winning one damn game that meant absolutly nothing only to later have it handed to you 10 foild when the game REALLY mattered. I was NEVER a fan of Knight but I’ll tell you this, I have more respect for him now than that net cutting not meaning a damn thing to the world other than to hisself coach you have now. You two best be in the championship game for this whole season will be a bust if you aren’t because neither one of you will make it back to the time gamefor many moons to come…..In Cal we trust the rest can just SUCK it!

76. JBR
    12:51 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Exactly 58, well said. I had much rather watch Hood get in there and hustle and try than Cal’s precious 5 star guys get dominated. And, Ms TT starts the post off basically insulting our best player on the floor tonight. Why would you disrespect Hood when these other clowns have made the Kentucky written across their chest a novelty all season long?

And of course Matt is calling all the negative people “clowns”. His predictions did not come true, and now he has nothing else he can go to. Matt knows no more about basketball than any of the rest of us…he found a niche, had the guts to go for it, and got lucky. I give him credit for that, but he has shown he doesn’t have all the answers he thinks he does. Now quickly, better delete this post because i disagree with you guys.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      12:53 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

How was I insulting Hood? I meant it when I said he was the only positive thing on the court tonight. You clearly misunderstood.

77. SadDay
    12:55 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

We absolutely need more of a bench. At least enough guys to play 5 0n 5 competitively in practice. Furthermore, actually evaluate these guys to make sure they can play ball and aren’t just athletes. Athleticism doesn’t win games, put the ball in the basket, or maintain good defensive position.
    You can’t coach attentiveness but Cal recruited them. Sometimes its better to get what you need despite ranking! Who cares about ranking if you can’t play team ball or fundamentally.
    And for those going on about 40-0, you better wait until you see some game time action with everyone as a TEAM.
    I say trim the fat and get rid of the cancer so it doesn’t infect the newcomers!!!!

78. SadDay
    12:56 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Oh and quit doing favors for families and banish Malone, Long, and Lanter. We need all the help we can get.

79. Flippy23
    12:59 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

It all started with the “All Access” bullshit at the start of the season…..these kids thought the name on the jersey entitled them to greatness……it doesn’t. You have to work hard to earn it, and these guys just never learned that……

80. BLUE JEEZY
    1:01 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Guns n Roses, Nickelodeon, Jerry Claiborne, Eric Manuel, cassette tapes
    #lasttimeIUwonatitle

81. BLUE JEEZY
    1:07 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Word & Number Munchers, Oliver North, Whitesnake, Choose Your Own Adventure, Eastlands
    #lasttimeIUwonatitle

82. JBR
    1:08 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I do apologize Ms TT…I went back and re-read it. The first time I thought you were insinuating that him being on the floor meant that it was “that kind of night”…that was my mistake.

83. Skeps
    1:13 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Remember last year when Cal said no one wants to watch a 50 point game. We are that team now. This team puts me to sleep. Might as well join the Big East and their offensively challenged teams. Boring.

84. mashburnfan1
    1:31 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

It is on Cal and the coaching staff. They went after these kids and need to coach them. They have gotten worse as the season goes on…how does that happen? College basketball is as bad as ever for more than 30 years and we still can’t make the tourney….Pathetic…If kids won’t play like you want them sit their a$$ down and let a kid that wants to play be out there. I don’t care if we start Polson, Goodwin, Hood, Kyle and WCS. Long as 6th man….Would rather watch kids play hard and lose then play half a$$ and lose like we are now. Cal needed to do his job and be their coach and that did not happen

85. BLUE JEEZY
    1:57 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Back to present-day: in addition to being the most overrated top-20 high-school prospect and McDonald’s All-American in history, Poythress is a robot, Goodwin is a baby, Narrow is a child, Cauley-Stein is a nerd with a chip on his shoulder, and Wiltjer is basically Jon Hood except for being a better spot-up shooter. And Hood is just another in the long line of the typical, standard, white-boy legacy in KY, a la J.P. Blevins, Josh Carrier, Todd Tackett, Jared Carter, etc….and I got news for u: Derek Willis next year aint gonna be any different. But Cal is no dummy, he knows part of the job description calls for making the racist fans in Eastern KY happy and giving them their token KY white boy every year, so Willis will replace Hood in that role once Hood is gone. But thats a whole other story. The only two players on this year’s fiasco of a team who show or have any heart, any true sense, any understanding of leadership, and any seriousness and professionalism at all towards the game and towards making themselves better ball-players are Mays and Polson. Not in terms of raw talent or God-given ability or potential, but Polson is now more dependable to make the smart plays or make the right decisions than the robot, the baby, or the child. And he’s one of the only ones to have shown actual improvement in his game late in the season whereas the aforementioned characters are now all worse than in Dec or Jan. And he and Mays are the only two who listen to Cal anywhere near consistently in practice. U can now get more out of an in-terms-of-talent-walk-on than in two McDonald’s All-Americans. And I know all the haters will call me a hypocrite after what I said about Polson but the difference between him and Hood is Polson has actually shown an improvement in his skill level and shown he has picked up a thing or two from Cal’s ability to develop players. I’m sorry, but Jesus Christ, Polson came to KY as a WALK-ON, and NOT as a KY MR BASKETBALL like all those other clowns from the state I just named. Polson has actually EARNED the minutes he is now getting and u can see it in his game. I have a hell of a lot more respect for a guy like him who started as NOTHING and truly earned his way, as opposed to these MR KY BASKETBALLS who we’re told will be the next greatest thing and are recruited just to keep an embarrassing portion of the fan base quiet, and who were sometimes given starting jobs all because a certain ex-coach was mad at the true starter and had the starter in his doghouse, and who all proved with their time on the court as they did nothing but take up space, that they were not even close to KY-caliber talent, and that they not only did not deserve scholarships, but by winning KY MR BASKETBALL in high school, exposed this state for what it really is: WEAK AT THE HIGH SCHOOOL LEVEL. Yea we’re known as THE BASKETBALL STATE, but for LOVING the game…. and recruiting the best players in the country to come here to play it….that doesn’t mean we PLAY the game well. And except for a very select few, our great players who make the basketball program what it is

86. BLUE JEEZY
    2:08 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

don’t even come from THE STATE OF KY!!! Our great players come from all parts of the country to make this program what it is, the ones who are from here come as either walk-ons or ride the bench as scholarship players. Its just sad that we have that portion of the fan base who is that dangerous that the coach, whoever he is, has to make that a part of his recruiting. U really think if Cal went against the grain and declined to keep the Hoods when he got here and recruit the Willises now that that part of the fan base wouldn’t raise hell and revolt against him? Doesn’t matter how many titles he’s won or will win, they would try to run him outta town for that as quickly as they ran out Billy Clyde! They’re lucky Cal wants to be here badly enough he’s willing to put up with that. Look at Cal’s UMASS & Memphis teams: did u ever see any of those caliber players on his bench at those programs? U think if Cal were coaching anywhere else in America he would’ve picked out Derek Willis on his national radar and said “oh yea I want that Willis kid from KY”…….CHILD, PLEASE.

87. John Ellis
    2:12 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

It was a team loss but Willie had another double-double (the foreign guy hit two threes on him from NBA line, give him a break on defense). Archie actually played hard and well – though why he and Harrow can’t finish shots at the rim after doing the hard work of getting there is weird. Alex is a 4.0 student but can’t figure out you have to play hard every possession – or every game. Julius has become the focus of the defense which frees up Wiltjer and Harrow if they’ll hit the shots. The truth is they are just young and unlike the freshmen of the last three years they aren’t maturing quickly and think Cal is going to do it for them on the court. They may be playing in the NIT before they get it. If then.
    But we’re spoiled, the team is 20-10 and tied for second in the SEC. You guys ran Tubby out of town for being an eight seed in the same division with the two-time national champ. Show some sense and give these 18 year olds some slack. They are likely to be important cogs, some of them, on a national championship team next year.
    The defense is solid, neither Arkansas or Georgia shot well. It’s the offense that’s gummed up.

88. Mark Coury
    2:15 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Miss me yet?

89. SadCats
    2:49 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Tyler, nice work
    Especially in this firestorm

90. NITe, NITe Cats
    3:02 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

HAHAHAHAHHA……uuuhh….HAHAHAHA You all can finger your sisters as you watch UK lose in the NIT. CATS!!!

91. iucansuckabigblue...
    3:09 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

1 gallon of gas 89 cents
    1 LB of Bacon $1.80
    US Postage Stamp 24 cents
    Dozen Eggs 65 cents

1987…..

IU is and always will be irrelevant

92. Pacman Jones
    3:11 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Somebody call Robert Stack from the grave to investigate this team on Unsolved Mysteries

93. bamman
    3:12 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

you know it has to be tough as hell to put together an entire team every single year and I think they didnt get all of the recruits they wanted. I think Shabazz was the missing link in this class. There is no go to scorer in this game. Really none of them can create their own shot and Cal’s teams have always had people that could score. I guess having a strong point guard is also necessary with Cal’s teams and we just don’t have that either.

94. iucansuckabigblue....
    3:18 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Popular Culture 1987

Prozac makes its debut in the United States
    Televangelist Jim Bakker Scandal
    The Simpsons seen on TV for the first time
    British Government Stops Publication in Britain of Spycatcher Book
    Search for Nessie reveals no evidence after 1.6 million dollar investment

The Simpson’s for the FIRST time….. Lol hahhahahah

95. Nail
    3:42 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

He wasn’t even wearing a tie!

96. mark
    3:58 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

NCAA CHAMPIONS to more than likely go to the NIT. So disappointing. GO BIG BLUE!!!!

97. mark
    4:03 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone from the BNN think some of the current players transfer?

98. Bird in Kentucky
    4:26 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I’ll say it again I really believe Poythress fouls out on purpose during tough games. The guy plays like a monster verses Duke and now just looks like he could care less. Its a shame I had a lot of faith in him. Harrow just sucks. Archie does try no matter what anyone says, at least he attacks the basket and he will get better. Mays is just Mays I’m just there to shoot 3’s I don’t play defense. Wiltjer is now panicking just trying to make something happen. Polson I believe is trying to set a record for fouling guys after making a basket. Willie tries just wish he would just stay under the basket. I don’t blame Cal at all.

99. Good luck Alex
    4:53 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Poythress is the most disappointing recruit Cal has brought in. Just sucks that he has all that talent in the world and seems to be a good kid, but just can’t get it out of him. Good luck to him with the draft so weak this year some team will take a chance on him! He might put it altogether in the pro’s.

100. Good luck Alex
    4:58 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

87) The only reason Willis is at UK is because Cal wanted to show Pitino he could. Uk had no interest in Willis untill UL put the press on him!

101. Mark Coury
    5:55 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Poythress can only wish to become half the player I was at UK. Rehire Gillispie!

102. Mark Stout
    5:56 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

You know it’s bad when Cat fans are looking forward to the spring football game

103. GoBigBlueRuss
    5:56 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

It is what it is…we are at this point in the season an average team.. *sigh

104. Hazard Kidd-Katt
    6:07 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

#12 Elvis Is Alive .. may have named this team “The Tin Men” … that is excellent. Way better than sticking another ‘un’ in front of something such as ‘The Uncoachables’.

105. Catlanta
    6:28 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Anyone know the date and time the NIT and CBI will announce their brackets?

106. Wall2Cousins
    6:30 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

7. words from a f**ckin loser…..you must be a sorry *ss f**ck from the cornfields. Quit? close up shop?…..STFU…hick

107. ClayCountyCat
    6:33 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I hate uofl with all my heart, but I would take any of their top 8 players over polly, wiltjer, harrow, Goodwin or Mays.

108. Uncle Julius
    6:48 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Thanks commenters for giving me a free pass while trashing all of my teammates. Much appreciated.

109. Disappointed Fan
    6:50 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I’m disappointed in some of you. These are kids with abilities that are still developing. Yes, they’re selfish, don’t know how to play as a team, and probably won’t give us some hardware to put on a shelf this year. However, I’m disgusted by some of these comments. Give them a break, I love Kentucky as much as any of you, but we though Miller and Liggins sucked ass when they played for Gillispie, and look what happened to them. We shouldn’t be BANISHING these kids, we should be encouraging them to come back, learn from their mistakes, and give it another year with a killer freshman group coming in to help and learn from them. That is the only way this system will work when we get star freshman that don’t stack up to the unbelievable players we’ve had in our program lately.

110. Bobby Knight's Shrink
    6:50 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

#21 nailed it…I thought Hood was the best player on the floor last night, and , at times, the ONLY player ! That sums up our piss-poor season right there !

111. Reality
    6:52 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Cal should have suspended Goodwin and Poythress two months ago. Had he had a pair of nuts between his legs, he would have done so. #players first

112. Mike
    6:54 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

108. Spoken like a true Clay Co. mouth breathing, hick.

113. kentuckygolfnut
    7:03 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Every UK team ends up with a monicker to describe their play during the year. My nomination is: KNUCKLEHEADS. Why? They have the talent, coaching, and yet they still act like knuckleheads who refuse to buy into what is a proven system. So like all those everywhere that as a kid did dumb stuff over and over, and were called Knuckleheads, so these guys have earned that monicker.

114. oldschool
    7:21 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Seems like some of you folks are waking up. That’s a good sign.

My caution to you however is not to levy the blame on 18-year-old kids too much. This team is YOUNG and it’s simply unrealistic to expect too much too soon. It’s also irresponsible for a 50-year-old plus coach to put 18-year-old kids in a position like UK with their rabid fan base and expect them to follow up a national title that was won in large part because last year’s team had ample returning experience.

Next year, Cal may be asking another group of young kids to do the same, and Cal may be feeling the pressure. Fans are already (and KSR has already predicted) and undefeated season and banner #8. What if they fall short? What if they fall out of the top 10 or 15, get into the NCAA with a 6 or 7 seed and lose in the second round? It certainly would be understandable with such a young team.

But the pressure is on, and ssdly – it’s really asking way too much for kids who in the next week or two will be trying on tuxes for their senior prom.

If Cal truly is a Players First coach – he’ll do what he can to take some of the hype of his teams – and that would start with not expecting so much from 18-year-old kids and asking fans to do the same.

I’m often critical of Cal – but let’s go easy on the players. They’re kids.

115. oldschool
    7:22 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

116 – Oops – banner #9

116. Fancy feast
    7:28 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Well I’m certain church isn’t the answer. It’s team gets enough nonsense as it is. Maybe spend that time shooting jumpers

117. Fancy feast
    7:30 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

This team*

118. 10 loss Cal
    7:38 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Calipari recruited these kids.He encourages them to go pro at 19 yrs old…players program etc. No this is Kentuckys Program! Time he gets some Kentucky kids who play for the front of the jersey not a bunch of primadonis who are salavating at the altar of the NBA.
    The bottom line this is Cals first year of his all freshman experience and we all see how it is working out for him. In the past he has Patterson, Liggins, Stevenson, Harrelson, Miller and others who stayed. Patterson is the only player Cal might have recruited. The rest would NEVER make the UK roster anymore, so in the past, when a freshman was not hustling he put in someone else and let the guy sit and stew. He can not do that anymore.
    Sorry this is all to be laid at Cals feet, even though UK fans act like we cant criticize Cal. Imagine Tubby with 4 McDonalds All Americans talent and losing this many games? Well Cal has the talent and is losing the games.
    Sure Proythress has had a rough time this year, but why are we all of a sudden expecting freshman, 18 year olds, to do what experienced players did at UK for years? Cal is the one who is putting all of this pressure on the kids not the fans. It is time we recruit kids that stay at UK and end the pass thru village we have created.
    Or at least a few that plan on staying.

119. Fancoulo
    7:41 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Ten Loss Cal said it was his fault, who are we to argue with him. TLC knows more than us.

120. Stronzo
    7:45 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

TLC has no answers for this team.

121. Labfarmer
    7:45 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Hey folks, you do remember that KY continues to recruit with several possibilities for addding a few more top notch recurits. If they were to read several of these responses, not sure I would continue to looke Ky’s way. Remember, these are young kids, just did not mesh this year particularly when Nerlons went down.

From what I can tell, they are excellent young men on and off the court. Lets just continue to support. Not every year will be like the last. GO CATS…..

122. Caca
    7:46 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

TLC is laughing it up, he is just waiting for his year to finish early. Finally he will get some time off with his family.

123. IU FAN
    7:46 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

LMFAO!!!!!! A must win game against a pathetic Georgia team and you guys lose by 10!!! I am enjoying this melt down so much!! Have fun in the N.I.T. losers!!! It will be your second trip to the N.I.T. in 5 years!!LMFAO!!
    Once again, The state of Indiana is far superior to the Cesspool known as Kentucky…There is not a team in KY that could beat a team from our state…once again proving our superiority.

124. Minchia
    7:47 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Whatever happened to the dribble drive? TLC has given up.

125. At least
    7:48 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

At least TLC is not Tom Creen. That would be awful.

126. Please
    7:49 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

115) I disagree, because Cal told these kids when he recruited them how it was at UK, the only thing he expects them to do is be receptive to coaching, give it your all, and play for your teammates! While I agree that some fans go overboard, remember it was the fan base that made some if not all commit! I believe that there were few “sure things” in this class. Shabazz, Bennett, Noel…. The statement “Kentucky isn’t for everyone” can be applied to this group. If you want to be great, you have to work, it doesn’t come naturally. Whose work ethic has been praised on this team? Archie, polson, Noel, wiltjer, willie… Our pg is physically and mentally weak, Cal’s teams have that “floor general”. Harrow couldn’t make it at NC State, I knew he wasnt the one. Guard play is very important in basketball. Poythress’ play can be described as a lot of things, but soft, heartless, lackadaisical, most importantly disappointing. Yes these are 18 yr old kids, but they have “hoop dreams”, they want to go to the NBA. You have that opportunity here. Exposure, facilities, coaching, other talented teammates to push you and all the support you need. I mean come on, what other 9 loss college bball is on tv every other day. Usually when teams lose, other games are scheduled. Cal said, “I can’t hide you at Kentucky”. He wasn’t lying. Noel hurt, no pg, no dominant sf, etc… So is it really Cal’s fault?

127. Like
    7:51 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I like Cal’s new moniker : TLC. Hopefully there will be posters up on Saturday with TLC.

128. Confused
    7:52 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

What does TLC mean?

129. Answer
    7:53 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Ten Loss Cal

130. Confused
    7:54 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

But if they lose on Sat, it will be 11 losses.

131. Please
    7:54 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Everything is provided for these kids, all they have to do is give it there all. I can live with a loss if the players are playing their asses off. What I can’t live with is lack of effort, sense of entitlement, and poor body language! I mean we bashed Sean Woods for his comments but it seems he was telling the truth!!

132. BLUE BLY
    7:54 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I HATE THIS TEAM!!! I give up on this team!

That is all.

133. Also confused
    7:55 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

And if hey loose in the SEC tourney they will have 12 losses. What would you call Cal ten.

134. TLC
    7:57 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

TLC is better than ELC but the same as Twelve Loss Cal

135. Marion County
    8:04 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I have had enough of top notch recruits. I want to recruit some Chuck Hayes, some Darius Millers, some Jeff Shepherds, some Derek Andersons, some kids who will stay and become very good heart and souls of the team. Sadly, Kentucky does not recruit such players anymore. If they are not McDonalds or in the top 20 on recruiting boards, we are too good for them. So they go to Louisville, Indiana, Ohio State and make them good.
    Continue to recruit the best of the best, but have Hayes, Millers, Shepherds and Andersons on the team and then you will win. Look at last years team for example. We won it all not because of the freshmen only, but because we had a MIX.
    Calaparis recruiting must change for Kentucky to succeed. If not maybe he will not be 10 loss Cal every year, but he will not success to Kentucky standards with no experience yearly. The fact is, on average 18 year olds are just not as good as 22 year olds.

136. BurnerTurner5
    8:04 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Delete my comments. But you know everything I said was true!

137. Mark Perkins
    8:05 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

How many times have we heard Calipari say he runs a “players first” program.
    So should we be surprised that players play for themselves instead of the team?

138. the truth
    8:05 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

i think billy g nit team would beat this team by ten

139. jz
    8:07 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

What’s the difference between the team that beat Missouri and the team that lost so badly tonight? …. simple mays scored 24 pts against missouri. had 0 tonight. there is your difference.

140. INCatFan
    8:08 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I hope incoming recruits somehow miss reading all of this negative BS. We had a lack of depth and maturity this year and it’s showed. Not every freshman is going to be John Wall and Anthony Davis. If these kids were on any other team, they would be praised for how well they’ve played as freshmen, partly because so much wouldn’t be expected of them. We should have some depth and experience next year to go with some new talent, so we should just support this team for the rest of the year and hope they learn as much as they can. Play hard boys, enjoy yourselves and your college experience, and GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!

141. coacht18
    8:12 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Cal sounds like a dad who refuses to discipline his bratty, spoiled child; not acknowledging what we all see and know… still believing little Ken(tucky)isn’t being selfish and is not spoiled. Archie still has his moments but has improved. Harrow can still get overwhelmed when it doesn’t go well. BUT the key prob is proythress who appears to be whiny, moody, not coachable who plays in 3rd gear if he doesnt get his way. Either run stuff thru him and see if he can be the “man” he thinks he is or you don’t b/c he undos you defensively w/lack of resolve and effort. These players need competition coming off the bench and sadly, there is none. I am baffled that anyone would draft our guys at this point. I know- POTENTIAL. I see potential too but for now, it’s potential attitude problems. Cal, let’s lose w/kids from the bench that will work, not brats who won’t. We are 30 games in! Spanking spoon time…

142. asdf
    8:15 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

The guy who compared Poythress to Richard Madison was right on. Like the “Master Blaster”, Poythress is probably the most talented guy on the floor every game, but he lacks the drive to use his God-given ability. It’s just a shame. How does he expect to be a pro if he refuses to even take shots?

143. robuk
    8:17 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

My choice for this years teams name….THE FORGETABLES

144. Playersfan
    8:17 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

The reason Hood and Polson, play reasonably well, while McD players don’t is they learned how to play basketball years ago, while the McD players were learning to dunk, and showboat. Obviously, McD does not consider being a great shooter necessary to being a great basketball player. Great athletes are not necessarily great basketball players. I have watch all year players on this team make mistakes that most kids learn in the 5th grade, ie. watch the ball AND the your man on defense, don’t dribble down the floor with and not be aware of an opposing player behind you, you can’t go for layups when the opposing team has all five players under the basket, on fast breaks get the ball to the middle and spread the floor, know where everyone is on the floor, be ready to guard the basket if someone’s man get away. It’s called fundamentals and you shouldn’t have to teach it in college. Last years’ team and prior made up for fundamental mistakes by great desire and effort and it showed. There is little effort from several this year. What we need every year is a couple of shooters, I don’t care if they are 1 or 5 stars.

145. asdf
    8:18 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

What hurts this team the worst is Harrow. When he’s not playing well, that also means that the guys who can’t create most of their own shots are also marginalized. That’s how we get games where Mays and Wiltjer disappear or are forced to take lower-percentage shots that they otherwise wouldn’t take.

146. barn
    8:22 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

143//haha the master blaster is exactly who i’ve been comparing poythress to. we just got caught without having a couple of good players coming off the bench this year. i don’t think this will be the norm in the future–i’m talking to you marion county

147. king blue
    8:22 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Wiltjer and mays combine for 5-20 from the floor….really Ms. TT? That’s an insult to wiltjer. Their is so much bias from all the writers on ksr towards certain players. I also like when you combine goodwins t.o with harrows ,although harrow will have one,and goodwin will have eight. Quit making excuses for mays. Has he had an injury all season bc he hasn’t played D all year. You wanna be the so called catalyst of this team you gotta do better then 3 points in the last two ” must win games” If that was somebody other then your boy uncle julius, you would be smearing their name all over this blog.

148. ERC
    8:24 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Every freshman will be just that a freshman. This is why Calapari needs kids that stay at UK.
    I do not mind losing if we hustle. I would rather see Jon Hood, Jared Polson and Brian Long in there hustling. They are there for Kentucky. Some of the others are there for the ride.
    We will be updated Cal to ELC tommorrow and back to TLC for the rest of the year.
    Again, I agree with alot of other comments, I blame Cal, not the players. He has placed too many 18 year olds under too much pressure. It is time this stopped. These are kids….

149. HelloThere
    8:24 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I think this entire season can be laid on the shoulders of two players. The failure of Harrow and Poythress to become a part of this team, to pull their load, to do what is required to be a team mate is the problem. Yes we all hate to see Archie go to the rim and spin out of control to throw up some crazy shot or to watch Wiltjer try to guard someone but the point is if Alex and Ryan were doing their part, then the rest falls into place.

Say what you want about this team but after the comments made tonight I think we clearly can see why UK is not very good. Maybe Archie and WCS return and Harrow and Poythress move on…add them in with the next bunch and hope it all comes together. Wiltjer is a what he is, Archie is doing what he can, WCS IS getting better and the other player play their best…it’s Alex and Ryan that haven’t accepted their role, their place, or thier responsibility to be good team mates.

150. asdf
    8:28 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I don’t knock Archie too much, personally. Sure, he plays like a knucklehead sometimes, but at least he gives everything he’s got. And the truth is that this team’s offense is so bad that there are times when Archie’s kamikaze drives are about the only offense we have. That’s sad to say, but it’s true.

151. jojo
    8:30 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

146) they had several wide open looks. They just cannot shoot. Look at our ft %. Its embarrassing. Mays had chances he just doesn’t catch the ball ready to shoot. He would rather sit out on the perimeter and pump fake.

152. jbhuk15
    8:36 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Oldschool, take your dribble elsewhere. It gets old, a small and I do mean small percentage of fans agree with you. Remember, all villages have idiots.

153. Jdn1016
    8:36 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Alex Poythress is the kid who “poops his pants” ’til he is 12. You are confounded with his behavior, wondering what could possibly be his “pay-off”. His apathy for the game and apparent disdain for the teams, and his own, success is his passive aggressive control mechanism against Cal and the fans expectations. It’s obvious this guy can’t handle the demands required of a Kentucky Basketball player. For his sake, and that of Kentucky Basketball, he needs to move on after the academic year ends. He is poison with respect to building team chemistry.

154. mj7juice
    8:43 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Tough season overall, stay positive BBN…negative comments do nothing…UK started the season with 0 players starting a minute from the previous season…good things to come…Go CATS!

155. Honest Question
    9:04 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Quick Question

How in this world will any of these players get drafted this year?

I understand the whole “potential” thing but I believe they will be making a HUGE mistake by going to the draft! That will be NBA career suicide if they do! If any player from this team gets drafted it will be 2 years of the d-league then cut and they will have to go play overseas and never be heard from again. You’re not ready guys, you have to find that mental toughness because the NBA is JOB! No pep rallies or rowdy student sections in the NBA, it is a J. O. B. If they can’t get motivated to play their hearts out here they can forget the NBA.

My whole point is that even if you are “projected” to get drafted doesn’t mean you should! Grow up and mature as a man first. By doing that you will prolong your NBA career from 2 years in the d league to 10 plus years starting in the NBA! MAN UP GUYS! You’re much better than this!

156. blueneck
    9:17 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

How was Poythress the “main offender?” He only played 19 minutes due to his five fouls including a lot of bench time at the end of the first half. Poythress led the team with three assists (with zero TOs) – no one else had more than one. What does that say about the GUARD PLAY? Poythress was willing to make good passes but when he got good position and called for the ball guys like Wiljter just faked to him and passed around the perimeter. I don’t fault Poythress’s effort even though he fouled too much – at least he was trying.
    Archie may have scored 20 but he dominates the ball too much (hence the lack of assists) and causes everyone to stand around and watch because no one knows what he will do.
    It was nice to see Hoodie give a little spark out there – at least in the 1st half.

157. BLUE JEEZY
    9:31 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

#124: You all are the LOOSIERS who cut down your nets after a LOSS!!! Yea, you’re the superior program, alright!!! LMAO!

158. Al's IndiCats
    9:32 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

WTF cares what these azzwipes from IU and the tards say? They have to know they best win it all this year, because they will slide right back under the rocks they’ve called home all these past years.
    IU fans, really you coming in here blowing us crap when in fact you loss senior night at home….then your psycho coach CUTS down the nets because???????????? Really? I never liked Knight EVER, but he had a lot more class than that idiot you all have now. I’ll take a down year after the last 3 we’ve had. When you become relevent again then you can brag, but for now you are still IU. GO CATS!

159. what about
    9:33 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

154) I think its more then those two. I don’t think rh and ap are bad teammates. I think harrows problem is he has a hard time being a leader, because he doubts his ability. Cal always preaches that if you want to shoot 15 shots a game don’t come to uk. Goodwin shoots near 15 shots a game every game. Apparently those rules don’t apply to him. He is a turnover waiting to happen

160. AppalledByIdiots
    9:54 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

I’m truly appalled by some of the comments on here.

1. This season is NOT Calipari’s fault. He surely has tried everything in the book to get the potential out of this team, but it’s just not happening. When you have a guy who has met expectations or overachieved pretty much every year he’s coached at the college level, I think it’s safe to say this is the players’ fault. Some kids just aren’t coachable, and it seems we have a batch of them this season.
    2. Some of you are tired of 1 and done players? Think we would have won a title last year without Davis, MKG, and Teague? No, not a chance. Recruiting these kids is the only way to win in this day and age. I would love it if it were still possible to win with a team of plucky upstarts like the Unforgettables team, but it just isn’t.

161. bbr
    10:21 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

Is it just me or does it bother anyone else that WCS and Mays have called out other players publicly on multiple occasions this year? First, I don’t think that is good for the team and second I think that points to that fact that there is some internal problems within the team between each other. I feel like there are some clicques on this team. It appears to me that WCS, Julius and Goodwin are one clicque while Polson and Wiltjer are part of another clicque – you don’t see a lot of positive interaction between those groups when you watch. Not sure where Poythress or Harrow fall. But this does not appear to be a healthy team that likes each other. Frankly if I were Hood I would be pissed. You play your guts out and produce ok in the first half (better than most on the floor) plus Cal always says how hard he practices, then you see a second half where your team basically self-destructs while you sit on the bench until the last two minutes when the game is out of hand. Also, I don’t think Poythress hates basketball. I think he hates Cal.

162. Mark
    10:34 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

It is so frustrating to see guys stand and watch a shot instead of getting back on defense (Julius Mays), stand and not fight for a rebound, or not be able to guard their man. A problem that I see for Cal is he cannot bench anyone for a significant amount of time. Two or three of these guys need to be on the end of the bench watching until they truly decide they want to play the right way. I don’t think they want to be here. I think they are just bidding time until they can enter the NBA draft. My biggest frustration is that the same experts who project KY to be out of the NCAA tounament are the same experts who will project the KY players who should be sitting the bench to be lottery picks in the NBA!

163. Ken Grizzle
    11:03 am March 8, 2013 Permalink

A lot of reasons for this year’s dismal showing but the two that are the most glaring are no lock down defenders and absolutely no chemistry on the floor.

As bad as we were at times I’m still a fan and consider myself fortunate that I’m not rooting for a bunch of cry-babies like those found in Bloomington

164. Cutoffheadbodydies
    3:02 am March 9, 2013 Permalink

We need a point guard..just saying