Cats avoid upset, others not so lucky

Florida State fans storm the floor after defeating North Carolina. (AP Photo)

Tennessee threw everything it had at Kentucky today trying to pull the upset on the number-two ranked team in the country. A handful of teams weren’t so lucky. A quick recap on the upsets we saw today in the Top-25.

Iowa 75 — No. 14 Michigan 59

The Wolverines visited the Hawkeyes in Iowa City and took a beating. It’s hard to judge this Michigan team, sometimes it looks like they can really contend in the Big 10 this season, but then they do things like this. As much as it pains me to say, I think Indiana has the second-best chance to win the conference. Iowa is not good, and Michigan was exposed today.

Oklahoma 82 — No. 18 Kansas State 73

The Wildcats were coming off a tough two-point loss to Baylor on Tuesday, and followed up by losing to Oklahoma on the road. The Sooners don’t have a bad loss this season, and have a respectable record of 11-5, but Blake Griffin isn’t walking through that door. Also, for what it’s worth, KSU’s coach Frank Martin scares me.

No. 22 San Diego State 69 — No. 12 UNLV 67

Two of the premier teams of the Mountain West squared off and the Reb’s, who knocked off North Carolina over a month ago, fell on the road. UNLV is a team scoring 81 points, hauling in almost 40 rebounds, and dishing out 19 assists per game. If the team keeps those numbers up, I’d pencil the Runnin’ Rebels in for a few “upsets” in March.

Florida State 90 — No. 3 North Carolina 57

Unless you completely distanced yourself from modern technology after the Kentucky game you surely heard about this blowout. The Seminoles had College Gameday in the house, and they did not disappoint. North Carolina looked defeated from mid-1st half on, which makes me wonder if some of the national media will now begin to unanimously favor Kentucky as the nation’s elite power. Syracuse is still ranked No. 1, but the triumvirate of UNC, UK and Ohio State seem to get the most play.

Northwestern 81 — No. 7 Michigan State 74

The Spartans of Michigan State play this game almost every season. Lose games early on, make the attention go away, but be a dominate force by March. Tom Izzo works in a similar fashion to John Calipari (and every coach, really, but it’s most notable in these two) — building your team for the tournament. Anything that happens beforehand is (almost) irrelevant. So congratulations to KSR’s own Matthew Hays who saw both of his favorite Wildcat teams win today.

Did you see the end of the 49ers — Saints game? Holy cow, what a finish. Niners score, Saints score, Niners score again. All in two minutes. San Francisco came out on top, but it wasn’t easy. Up now is the “Jesus” Tebow-led Broncos and the Patriots on CBS. I’m not sure which I hate more, but I cannot stand to see Skip Bayless’ bandwagon continue another week.

Ms. Tyler Thompson will be here later this evening to close the book on Tennessee.

Go Pats. Go Cats.

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

75 Comments for Cats avoid upset, others not so lucky

1. Poff Daddy
    8:47 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

First!

2. Sleeveless Vest
    9:04 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Carolina loses by 33. Bet they’ll drop at least to number 4 in the polls.

3. Eric K
    9:04 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

GO 49ers!! GO CATS!!

4. Eric K
    9:07 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Great day, CATS win, tarheels got beat like a drum, and the NINERS won!!

5. John Elway
    9:10 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Nine weeks on Tebow bandwagon

6. Fat ninja
    9:11 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Roy is such a pos what kind of coach leaves his team on the floor

7. foodstampprez
    9:12 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Providence looked good after beating Louisville…

8. Mr. Belding
    9:12 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

“Dominant.”

9. Dini
    9:14 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

“Jesus” Tebow led? Let’s not start disparaging religions here please.

10. Mark price
    9:21 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, rushing the court/field has become more about violence than celebration. Like going to the streets & turning over cars & setting fires. Williams should be suspended. KISs my A$$

11. Skip
    9:21 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Unleash!!!

12. Hop
    9:22 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Really? UNC was defeated from the “1st quarter” on???

13. Court Storming
    9:23 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

If an underdog wins on a last second shot, this is acceptable. If the underdog smacks around UNC/UL the whole game, I think the court rush is idiotic. #6 – I don’t think this is a POS move at all. Roy checked it out first. All parties agreed it was wise to get players off the court. I’d hope that Cal would do the same for our players if he had the time to do so, but I hope he never has to worry about it! Go Cats!

14. Mark price
    9:27 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

#13, he left 5 players behind dumb a$$. Kiss my a$$!

15. BellCountyMounty
    9:29 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Go Tebow! Get ‘um Broncs!!!!

16. Stuart Hammer
    9:30 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

12 – Good catch. I was watching the end of the football game while writing this. Had quarters on my mind. It’s corrected now.

17. Wahwahwah
    9:40 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Anyone else worried about UNLV’s form right now in the phenom sweepstakes?

18. Surprised
    9:42 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

I’m Surprised Hammer. I thought a Trinity guy would be all for the “Jesus” led team…

19. CatlantaBlue
    9:43 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Play together, protect your team together….huddle up! Roy is a wimp! I cannot even express how upset I am with him. When you know the court will get stormed, you get your players to huddle around each other to stay safe… not leave your 2nd string alone on the court to get creamed…what a pu$$.

20. why
    9:44 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Why the Tebow hate Stuart “I love Satan” Hammer?

21. Catsincebirth
    9:46 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

With 2 minutes left in the game, the Tenn. player takes 4 steps then goes up and misses the dunk right in front of the referee. Watch it…. 4 steps!… Unbelievable!!

22. Court Storming
    9:55 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

#14 – Great use of dollar signs in effort to disguise your lack of intellect. Let’s pretend that Cal did the same thing at the end of a game. Would you rather he leave the WBA on the court to get trampled, or our six primary players? As Cat fans, we are very guilty of defending our team, coaches, and players to no end. We are equally as guilty of smearing to teams, coaches, and players of those teams that we “hate”… UL, UNC, dUKe, UT, etc. Believe me, I love watching UNC getting used to towel up the floor as much as the next of the Kentucky faithful, but I don’t think that makes Ol’ Roy a POS. As far as the dollar sign kissing goes… simply put, I decline.

23. That hurts man
    9:55 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Oh come on man don’t plug the pats… Ur worse than bti

24. Chris McNear
    10:05 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

22- You Don’t Know What You Is Via Talkin’ About I Am The Best UNC Fan There IS ALL Over Kentuckie

25. Michael Kidd-Langford
    10:06 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Great posts all day today, Stuart. Keep ’em coming!

26. kbinnky
    10:08 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Looks like the ‘Raging Tebowners’ run will come to an end.. thank God, now ESPN may become bearable to watch

27. Weekends
    10:10 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

I’m so lame on KSR. Good thing I only give Stuart multiple ridiculous posts…

28. MJ4UK
    10:10 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

#20 Amen…Dont hate on Tebow…Hammer, Tebow has the kind of influence most young athletes dream of, and is a class act. I dont care about the NFL, but if you hate on Tebow then shame on you.

29. Poff Daddy
    10:12 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Jesus is awesome, but Tebow is not Jesus. If he were Jesus, I guess that makes Brady equal to Pontius Pilate. Go Pats!

30. Lovely
    10:19 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Hey, I like Northwestern too! Today was a good day for my teams.

31. Stuart
    10:27 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

You “hate Jesus Tebow”? Did I read this correctly? And if so I cannot believe this was published on KSR….usually a great web page but this is a deal breaker. Very low point for you guys.

32. Viren
    10:36 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know what was more funnier Williams running out of the gym like his ass was on fire or Dickie V trying to put a poaitive tone on Carolina getting their ass beat or the fact that Dan Shulman thinking Heels were going to forfeit and not finish out the game. Is it me or Dickie V’s tone of voice in the Indiana game was that he wanted Cats to lose.

33. dave
    10:37 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

28,20-wow. calm down. ppl don’t necessarily hate tebow, but all the nut-hugging from you fans who ALWAYS have to tell everyone how better of a person he is than all other pro athletes.

34. Bob Loblaw
    10:39 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Lindsay Wilson player hits 3/4 court shot to beat Georgetown College, all 10 fans storm the court.

35. Blueswade
    10:40 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

I’m surprised ole roy didn’t try to have the fans removed from the stands. What a joke leaving 5 of your players out on the court butt high tailing his own butt
    to the locker room.

36. mike
    10:47 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Yes to what #9 said, after a good day of sports stuart has to make such a stupied comment. Go Cats

37. CliffFrankLou
    10:48 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Travis Ford certainly should feel humbled tonight after after OK State got spanked today. Whew….

38. Smh
    10:50 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Seriously how can u hate Tebow? Hes a good dude in a league full of ahole gamgsters. Leave it to stuart hammer….you continue to suck and i ksr will lose viewers if theuly continue ro let u post

39. Hold up
    10:53 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

So this Stuart Hammer dude is a Trinity grad, that explains everything

40. ktmiln2
    10:57 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

31. If you get off of your soapbox and give the screen a good look,, I’m sure some reading comprehension skills will kick in and you will see he was referring to the Broncos and the Patriots are what he hates. Not the poor untouchable Tebow

41. ktmiln2
    10:58 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

38. I have a strange feeling your gift of gab and poetic prose will not be missed.

42. Bbn
    11:05 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

41 is that you hiding under a different name, Mr Hammer? Several others have the same opinion, if this site is filled with posts by stuart hammer and rashawn frAnklin they will lose viewers… Fact. Just sayin

43. Comedy
    11:11 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

A writer could tell a knock-knock joke in a post and some idiot will take the whole thing too seriously. This is KSR, not Point, Counter Point!

44. kbinnky
    11:14 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Ha, only Tebow can bring out such strong opinions.. the Patriots, although I can’t stand them, have him pegged.. in the end he’s a weak QB who needs work on his mechanics, maybe Elway can get him straight.. Brady looks like he’s gunning for Super Bowl tonight.

45. Tomas
    11:15 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

No one hates Tebow on a personal level. We hate the attention he gets for being a vocal mediocre QB. Alex Smith is from the same system Tebow was in and has been told he can never makeit and he won a playoff game today and actually made big time clutch plays being a QB. Tebow is getting blasted right now. And if Tiger Woods and Jerry Sandusky have taught us one thing it has been not to put sports figures or people you don’t know on a pedestal. You don’t know Tebow personally, you don’t know he is a good guy. If our kids are looking to athletes for role models we are already lost. You should be your kids role model not Tebow. I for one do not hate Tim Tebow on a personal level, but I thoroughly dislike all the run he gets on ESPN. He had a one hour SportsCenter special for God’s sake. Its to much.

46. Stuart Little
    11:19 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Jesus > Stuart

47. ktmiln2
    11:25 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

42. No, I assure you I am not Mr. Hammer. If I was, I would have legally chsnged my first name to Big Steele As for the opinions, if the people on here could read half as well as they complain, this board would have half of the idiotic comments. All Big Steele said was that he hated the Broncos and the Patriots, not your precious Tebow. Go find something else to be outraged about. I hear there are gay people on television these days. Maybe you should write a letter.

48. ktmiln2
    11:26 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

45. Well said.

49. Jstockton
    11:29 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

#22, kiss my a$$

50. jonathan
    11:29 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

There is a huge difference between Tiger Woods, Jerry Sandusky and Tim Tebow. If Tebow were to mess up one time…say one cuss word…be with one woman…anything that most single proffesional football players do, he would be humiliated by the media. The difference is he is a great Christian young man and all us christians should root for him because he is a breath of fresh air. Tim Tebow is a role model.

51. Bulldawg
    11:30 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Good idea Stuart…let’s just put “Jesus” in front of every Christian pro athletes name to try to make it degrading…bad form. nothing wrong with being a Jesus freak. It is the “religous” people I don’t like. Jesus > (man made)religion. Anyway, Tebow is a great role model for the NFL. Allen Iverson almost single handedly destroyed the concept of a classy pro athlete that Jordan created. A lot of athletes say they are living right but I believe Tebow is genuine. Make it easier on yourself in the future stuart…do the “right” thing.

52. ktmiln2
    11:33 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

50. Because Tim Tebow is the only Christian in the NFL. Colt McCoy or how about Troy Polumalu? Or are they not Christian enough because they don’t pray on the 50 yard line? Some people should read Matthew 6:6 and what is says about using your faith to be the center of attention.

53. ktmiln2
    11:36 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

I mean there is nothing wrong for admiring Tim Tebow as a player or Christian or whatever. But people need to stop acting like he is the moral compass of the generation and is the standard all Christians should strive to be. And quit acting like there is a shortage of Christians in the NFL or in this country. Tebow is loved becaus of his religion, not in spite of it.

54. Jesus
    11:39 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Tebow is not me. I just wanted to clear that up. I’ll be sure to let you know when I’m back. I’m perosnally rather tired of all the press he gets too. Too much has already been done in the world in my name… wars, revolts, touchdowns. Tebow is as human as the next, and when he shows it, he’ll be looked at as one more hipocrit to drag down my followers’ good name. BTW, I’m not really a football fan. I’m more into college basketball. Go Cats!

55. kbinnky
    11:41 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

51 – You have to be kidding about Jordan, right? Greatest b-ball player ever, no doubt, but classy pro athlete? You do know about his infidelity and gambling habits right? If not, feel free to google… Again, I don’t care, he was an unbelievable player, but let’s not hold him as a moral authority, or any other athlete.. just sayin’..

56. horny uk fan
    11:42 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

You’re a dumbass #50!

57. ktmiln2
    11:42 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

55. All true. Here’s another idea, let’s quit looking at athletes to be moral authorities on anything.

58. horny uk fan
    11:43 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

Well said #45….totally agree.

59. Bulldawg
    11:59 pm January 14, 2012 Permalink

55 you may be right about Jordan…but I think overall, he was and is well respected. Everyone knows Jordan’s work ethic and how Iverson feels about practice. It seems since Iverson’s days almost every player has a sleeve of tatoos. That is the kind of influence pros have on the youth. Wether it is right or wrong does not matter. Kids look up to players, that’s just the way it is. Personally I would rather my kid look up to a classy athlete than a crooked polotician.

anyway, i just think it’s weird how in todays times being called a “beast” (see revelations) is a “good” thing and having “Jesus” in front of your name is supposed to be a “jab” at you by the writer. Maybe the Mayans were right afterall…For the record I have many flaws and not going to church enough is just one of many along with not being a great commenter.

60. Jon Slone
    12:00 am January 15, 2012 Permalink

Stuart, you aren’t worthy enough to lace up Tim’s shoes. Go hate somewhere else why don’t you.

61. Bulldawg
    12:02 am January 15, 2012 Permalink

I know, blast me for my spelling mistakes if you want. I don’t get paid enough for this job to proof read…

62. Jim
    1:32 am January 15, 2012 Permalink

Why r UK fans on KSR talkin about an ex-FLA player whom we all hated, and those of us who say we didnt are lying, and is now KSR’s sweetheart? I’ll tell u why, cuz it’s a white athlete who has a chip on his shoulder and is in the “everybody said I could never make it” status. If Tebow were black, u people wouldnt give a dam about his career on the field, much less his religion. But oh God, its a white dude playing the “overcoming the odds” card so every white person get on board! Wasnt he an All-american 4-yr star in college? What odds? And a player from a UK rival who beat UK’s brains in for 4 years……HSR: Hypocrisy Sports Radio

63. BBN
    1:43 am January 15, 2012 Permalink

Whoah. Whoah. Whoah…. 62, so are you claiming everyone who reads this site is white? And everyone who is a Tebow fan is white and like him only because he’s white? Wow dude, you’re ignorant as hell.

64. frankoa
    1:47 am January 15, 2012 Permalink

How sad some of you all are including STUART!! I’ll NEVER read another article you write and if this is what KSR stands for I’m DONE!!
    PLEASE click on this.

65. Jim
    2:32 am January 15, 2012 Permalink

If Tebow was black and all the other circimstances were the same, he would get attn and be fairly popular, but it would NOT be to this sick, cult-like level. He definitely wouldn’t be compared to any Jesus! Lol….I mean, Jesus tabbed on an athlete? Really? And I’M ignorant….YEA.

66. AndyC
    2:50 am January 15, 2012 Permalink

Why you hating on Jesus and making fun stuie… I think I have read the last article from you that I will ever read!! If i can see your name I’m sure I’ll pass!!! I have a good sence of humor but I don’t do Jesus jokes!!! God Bless you anyway!!!

67. Blue Jeezy
    3:09 am January 15, 2012 Permalink

Here’s an idea: Leave religion OUT OF SPORTS TALK!

68. Sense of Humor
    10:40 am January 15, 2012 Permalink

Did you guys lose me while you were attending church? Even Jesus had me.

69. Jesus
    10:43 am January 15, 2012 Permalink

I am pretty sure I said something about constantly praying in public and using my Father to act like you are better than everyone else. I’m not sure though. I guess I need to check Matthew to make sure.

70. STOP BASHING TEBOW
    2:36 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

Tebow is a great role model and i will stop reading your post and if needed KSR if they post crap like this. Your are a joke..

71. Tomas
    2:47 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

71. You are a travesty to our society. You don’t know Tebow, how can someone you don’t know be a role model?

72. Catsfando
    3:37 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know Tim Tebow. Never met the guy. I don’t believe he’s ever asked me to follow his beliefs, copy his style, or even asked for all the press coverage he gets. I do believe Tebow is a fiercely competitive person, with an uncommonly deep faith and relationship with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I believe he would be successful in whatever he chooses to do with his life.
    The problem as I see it is people are not accustomed to seeing a living, breathing, man of faith who offers up praise unashamedly at any time or place. Christians are just not supposed to act like that. You guys need to realize he’s not doing it for you, for the press, the media, nor any other self serving cause. He is doing what God calls us all to do, witness thy faith before others. He just does it on a bigger stage. I don’t hear the criticisms of the fruitcakes in Hollywood who continually espouse their beliefs on socialism, communism, and hatred of their own country. He does not ask anything of you. He does not say you all are sinners. He is just a man practicing his faith. It is the MEDIA that has force fed this publicity to us and Tebow uses it to promote his faith and the message that all things are possible. Try thinking about it. I will now get back to UK basketball. Religion and peoples religious beliefs have no place on a athletics web site.

73. tony
    3:50 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

What about the louisville upset over Depaul lol lol lol

74. xcoach
    8:57 pm January 15, 2012 Permalink

While all of the talk is centered on UK, Ohio State and Syracuse don’t leave Baylor out of the picture. I have only seen them once on TV and they are as talented as anyone and have tremendous depth. Cats are going to have to develop some more firepower on offense as a TEAM. Their defense will (I think) keep them in almost every game but they haven’t had the spurts they need to deliver the knock out punch against the better teams.