Cats an 11 seed in the latest CBS bracket projections

Not even two road wins could take the Cats off Jerry Palm’s NCAA bubble. In his latest projections, Palm has the Cats as an 11 seed in the Midwest Region, facing off against Travis Ford’s Oklahoma State Cowboys. If they win, they’d likely face Butler, a three seed which I want no part of. Palm’s #1 seed in the Midwest bracket is Michigan, who would open against Davidson (of course they’re in the same bracket as us).

Palm’s other #1 seeds are Duke, Indiana and Kansas. He currently has Louisville seeded fourth in the West bracket and Florida second in the East, despite the Gators being 1st in both the KenPom and Sagarin ratings.

Thoughts?

40 Comments for Cats an 11 seed in the latest CBS bracket projections

1. bloobloodcat
    1:03 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Not having Gators as #1 seed despite #1 in Kenpom and Sagarin is all one needs to recognize an anti-SEC bias. We’re closer to a 8-9….which is probably worse practically speaking.

2. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    1:05 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

My thoughts: The dude is nutz if he doesn’t have Florida as a 1 seed right now, so don’t bother paying attention to him.

3. WOW
    1:07 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

I would take this in a heartbeat … especially having Miami in that region as a #2 seed. That is the weakest region and gives us a real chance

4. ChicagoCat
    1:07 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

I concur with 1 and 2. I understand he had us out on his projections before this last week so technically this is a rise, but I expect Lunardi will have us as an 8-9.

5. Wagon Will
    1:09 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

I’ll take Dayton and a regional final in Indy.

6. portland,westlouisvilleKY
    1:11 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

how can they put duke ahead of miami in seedings, miami is leads the acc right now, i know things can change,but this is a mock tourney for this point in the season,

7. Litig8tr
    1:12 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

These early projections are utterly meaningless. I don’t know why anyone pays attention to them.

8. BigBlue1702
    1:18 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Makes sense… Win on the road against the #16 team in the country and win on the road again over the weekend and we drop from a 10-seed to an 11-seed? Anybody doing bracketology not named Joe Lunardi is not worth listening to, in my opinion.

9. Wildcat Willie
    1:18 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

My thoughts are….what does joe lunardi’s bracketology say?? That’s the only source I would think is relevant.

10. Wildcat Willie
    1:19 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

And what is a SEX Freshman btw??

11. amen #7, early brackets are like chess cleats, useless. i’m goin back to the other end of the court and drop one from 30′ in jj redick’s eye.

12. Sammydog
    1:24 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

This is silliness. I don’t understand why teams with 6 losses are considered bubble teams (UK and UNC specifically) this year. The way it is playing out would suggest the teams at the top are likely to catch up with us in losses as the season progresses. UK and UNC are both really young teams and have more room to the upside than any of the top 4 or 5 teams.

13. Big J
    1:28 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Seeded fairly low but I like that bracket…a lot.

14. UK1990
    1:29 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Comments’ yes – Palm’s an idiot

15. Coach Durbin
    1:30 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Entirely accurate. Truth is, we have only beat 1 team that is gonna be in the tournament right now. As long as we don’t slip up against any inferior teams and can pull out a win against Mizzou, we should be in comfortably in the 7-9 range.

16. rainman
    1:36 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

With the state of the SEC, Fla. probably doesn’t lose another game til at
    the very least late in the season! Not having them a #1 seed is just plain
    silly! As far as us, just get in, thats all I ask! Loserville, I think a 4
    is a litttle low! Should be a 2or3 IMO!

17. Goose
    1:38 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Bottom line is the SEC is weak from top to bottom. Florida is overrated clearly in any poll. UK is clearly floating on the bubble. No need for you amateurs to think otherwise. The big 10 and big east dominate college basketball and deserve to get all of their teams into the big dance.

18. Musehobo
    1:42 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

While I am somewhat interested in what these bracketologists say about our current seeding, I have no interest (or confidence in) their matchup predictions. These are wrong all the way up to Selection Sunday. If a bracketologist has used any sense at all, the bracket HAS to be wrong, as the NCAA will no doubt screw it up (e.g. force matchups to spike TV ratings). Also, these things change daily and are never accurate.

19. Coyote Hunter
    1:46 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Doesn’t matter in February-just gives the talking heads some face time on TV-We will all know the night of March 17-selection Sunday-until then…who cares?

20. 3cats
    1:48 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Minn loses 4 games in a roll and they stay a 4 seed…. Ucla an 8 seed and he still has them bubble team. Nuts! Fl is a One seed for sure!

21. Chattanooga Matt
    1:49 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Dude is nuts! There is no way the Cats are the 43rd best team in the country right now! An 8th or 9th seed is reasonable at this point.

22. joe
    1:55 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

8 and 9 are spot on. If its not lunardi’s bracket, then there no point in even looking at it.

23. emlang08
    2:04 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

New AP poll has UF as #2, should be a 1 seed now. I do not understand how Marquette actually moved up one spot after getting slaughtered by Louisville yesterday unless the rankings were made before the game?? UK got 21 Votes at least, Ole Miss, NC State, Wichita St and San Diego St fell out of the top 25.

24. Uk
    2:12 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Need to try and beat Florida once, beat Missouri at home (doable) and not slip up more than once against any other team, and we could maybe slide up to a 4-6 seed, which is where we want to be to have a chance to make a run.

As of now though, just have to take it one game at a time. No game will we run away with (including the next 2 easy ones at home). We are going to have to hope to catch fire at the end and hope to have a good enough seed/matchups to make a run, ala 2010.

25. Jackson Purchase
    2:28 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

The NCAA will make Kentucky an 8/9 seed with Indiana as the number 1 seed in the same bracket. UK needs one win against Florida and a win against Missouri to move to the 7 line of the bracket and avoid playing a 1 seed in the second round.

26. Chicago Chris
    2:31 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

#17 You’re high, right? The big 10 and Big East get all their teams in? Florida is weak? Yeah…. I caught you… you’re high.

27. #17
    2:33 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

#17-Big 10…1 championship since 1990. Somehow the big 10 gets a lot of hype but can’t win the championship? People always say, well their top teams can’t beat other conferences top teams, but they have more depth. I think the only good teams are IU and UM. MSU is decent, but I can’t see them making a run just like last year when they were exposed and destroyed. Wisconsin isn’t that good-Florida destroyed them. Minnesota is barely above average. Illinois did beat Butler and Gonzaga but lost to Missouri at home and beat Auburn by 2.

It’s just a down year in college basketball. I think they have less bad losses and that’s it. Out-of-conference in big games, they aren’t that impressive to me. The media loves them. It’s like they’re the SEC in football if the SEC couldn’t win a championship. Championships=credibility.

28. jp7
    2:33 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

If he’s got Kansas a 1 and Florida a 2 after this past weekend, then he has no credibility. I say forget this clown.

29. #17
    2:39 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Ohio State is decent too, but they haven’t really beaten anyone out of conference. They did lose to Duke by 5, but watching the game I don’t think they’re much better than UK. Again, just a down year in college basketball.

30. Computer Blue
    2:50 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

The seeding he is probably going to get right within +/- 1. The exact match-ups are complete guesses not worth worrying about.

31. ATB (Always True Blue)
    2:58 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

I’m a huge Cat fan. However, I think there probably still are about 40 teams better than us.
    Now UF not being a 1 seed. I seriously doubt there is a team that can beat them the way they are playing at this time.
    All the other Conferences can keep pounding their chest but reality is that the SEC has 8 teams in the top 100 RPI but the bottom of the conferene is really week and the top is not super strong. Look at the MWC, they have teams but they only have 10 teams total so their conference looks stronger.
    Comparing the RPI ranks: MWC: 5, 15, 20, 33, 51, 62, 68. SEC: 3, 35, 43, 45, 60, 78, 84, 98. We have 6 teams that are 100 or below and they have 2 teams that are in the lower 100’s. See my point, plenty of competion contrary to what the media wants anyone to think.

32. Joe B. Hall
    3:01 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

There are not 15 teams better than we are. we will be no lower than a 4 seed going into the tourney.

33. Scott
    3:29 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

So they are saying that Ky is the 41st-44th team in the land? This is way beyond disrepect!!!!!
    Hope Cal uses this at motivation the rest of the season.

34. Huh
    4:43 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

20) Roll?? Tide???

35. Bryan
    4:51 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Still hate travis ford

36. tankercat
    5:13 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Right on #7, this is a bunch of nothing.

37. Steve
    6:44 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky in Dayton would almost be a home game. The bracket Palm has for Lexington would be crickets and empty seats. Florida and Miami who would bring NO ONE, St Louis and Pitt would be the closest participants.

38. Pimp K
    6:50 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

If the tournament was made today, there is no way in hell we’d be an 11 seed. Travis Ford would be absolutely pissed and rightfully so. A 3-seed should not have to play Kentucky as an 11-seed. This Kentucky team is by no means great, but they pass the eye test before most of the other “bubble” teams considering the talent. In my opinion, this Kentucky team would be a 9-seed as of today.

39. Mike_Gundy
    9:11 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

HE’S A MIDGET!!!! HE’S 40!!!!! WANNA GO AFTER SOMEONE GO AFTER HIM!!!!

40. mashburnfan1
    11:05 pm February 4, 2013 Permalink

maybe he is projecting where they end up come March, not if the tourney starts today. Either way it matters not as we still have a long way to go before all this matters. I just nhope we are in Dayton so I can go.