Carol Burnett’s Saturday News and Views

For reasons that I simply cannot explain, I watched the movie Annie almost every day when I came home from school in early elementary school. I’m not exaggerating. It really was a nearly every single day occurrence. Some children grow up fearing the Boogie Man, or Jason Voorhees, or the mechanical dinosaurs from Jurrasic Park (also an issue for me as a child). I, on the other hand, grew up fearing Miss Hannigan. Whether she was singing really, really creepily about “little girls,” taking baths in Vodka (underrated bad ass move right there…), or hitting on a guy who may or may not have been her relative (I could never figure that one out)… Miss Hannigan was the definition of scary for me as a child. Carol Burnett was almost as terrifying as Annie’s red-headed perm (big mistake), which served as the inspiration for me asking my Mom for a perm when I was 7 (bigger mistake).

Burnett celebrates her 80th birthday today. Burnett has achieved success on stage, in film and on television in a wide variety of roles. Her IMDB page has enough entries that the UK football staff could stuff each one of them in a separate envelope and send them to Drew Barker… and still have a couple hundred to spare.

Let’s take a look at the news and views from a rather slow Friday…

The biggest news of the day/night came just a few hours ago when Larry Warford became the first Kentucky player to be selected in the 2013 NFL Draft. Warford was potentially expected to be a 2nd round pick, but just slipped into the 3rd round with the 65th overall pick to the Detriot Lions. Warford is the first Kentucky offensive lineman to be drafted since 1993 (Chuck Bradley).

Todd McShay had nothing but praise for Warford after the Lions made their selection. “Warford’s a big man. If you want to watch him against top talent, Georgia, LSU..this guy has faced some big time defensive linemen, and he won the vast majority of his 1-on-1 battles. Once he’s locked on, forget about it. I really like Warford. He’s a strong pick. I thought he might even go earlier, late in the 2nd round.” Warford was the 3rd selection in the draft by the Lions.

Kyle Tucker of the Courier-Journal caught up with Warford in the moments following the selection. Warford told Tucker that he met with the Lions’ OL coach at the Senior Bowl and had great chemistry with him. Tucker also asked Warford what he might buy with his first NFL paycheck, and he responded with, “I have to rent an apartment, apparently.”

Warford is projected by most to be an immediate starter in the NFL. “In the NFL, you face great talent every day. I’ve been going against that for four years in the SEC and did pretty well,” Warford told Tucker. A huge congratulations from all of us here in the Big Blue Nation to Larry Warford. Enjoy Detroit. Or something like that.

You know it’s late April when the other big news of the day is Rick Pitino finally getting that national championship tattoo he promised. In the most Louisville of Louisville things, many Cardinal fans coined the tattoo as the “Champ Stamp.” I just hope the tattoo artist cleaned the needle afterwards so no one else will contract L1C4.

In the words of Drew Franklin, he’s all yours now Louisville. He’s all yours…

The Kentucky football team accepted a preferred walk-on commitment from 2013 KCD Quarterback Robert Scholtz. Scholtz is a 6’3, 190 lbs. QB. In February of 2012, Rivals.com called Scholtz a potential “super sleeper” in Kentucky’s 2013 class. According to Rivals, Scholtz had some level of interest from Louisville, Tennessee and Vanderbilt, though he did not have offers from any of those schools.

Here are some highlights from Scholtz’s time at KCD:

A few other Kentucky football recruiting tidbits:

2014 3-star TE Darryl Long will announce his college decision tomorrow at the Rivals camp. Long will be deciding between Louisville, Pittsburgh and Kentucky.

If you hadn’t caught on to the fact that DT Matt Elam is one of the best prospects in the state of Kentucky for 2014, the number and quality of suitors joining the race for his services should make a believer out of you. Elam tweeted that both Florida and Vanderbilt visited him today. If Florida brought Joker Phillips and his weird as sh*t “Joker from Batman” pictures with them, we’re good. No worries.

Joker, the first step is admitting you have a problem. The second step is giving it up on the bubble screens.

Another potential Kentucky commitment could be coming next week. 2014 3-star DE Tymere Dubose will announce his decision in a press conference on Wednesday. The 6’6 265 lb. Dubose hails from Youngstown, Ohio… home of Mark Stoops and Vince Marrow. Dubose holds offers from Kentucky, Michigan State, Ohio, West Virginia and Akron.

Drew Barker has also picked up a few new suitors in the past couple of weeks as well. Ohio State has apparently joined in the recruitment of Barker, the standout 4-star 2014 quarterback who many believe is one of the integral pieces to Stoops’ 2014 class. Now that Kentucky is going for more big time players, it’s time to expect competition from the best of the best for some of these guys. Stoops and Neal Brown will have a chance to prove their recruiting chops with this one.

And in one final note regarding UK football, the number of Florida State defensive players taken already in the 2013 drafts’ first few rounds has to be a great recruiting tool for Mark Stoops and his staff.

John Calipari, Orlando Antigua and Kenny Payne were all in the house at the Boo Williams event tonight to see a few potential future Wildcats. Fresh off of giving him a scholarship offer, the staff watched 2014 shooting guard Devin Booker. Booker has drawn comparisons to Steph Curry for his 3-point shooting touch. The Kentucky staff also watched 2014’s Rashad Vaughn, Tyus Jones, Stanley Johnson and Emmanuel Mudiay.

One player in the 2015 class was not shy about expressing his love for Kentucky. 2015 Small Forward Derrick Jones apparently “loves” Kentucky. The 6’7 small forward is “leaning toward Syracuse, and would love to go to Kentucky” according to his father. Jones is ranked by ESPN as the 13th best player in the 2015 class and the 37th best player in the Rivals rankings. At this point, Syracuse has offered, but Kentucky has not.

And just remember, no matter how great your life is…Rich Brooks’ retired life is probably still slightly better.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

47 Comments for Carol Burnett’s Saturday News and Views

1. Rixter
    10:35 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Considering that RP got the tattoo in a spot normally reserved for women’s tat, maybe it should be called twink ink?

2. Sypher's Mouth
    10:40 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

So glad Ricky 3 stacks could allow his tatoo occurance to be held in my jail.

In his left hand, is 15 seconds …left in my incarcerated orfice….take your pick, CAT fans.

3. GoCats2
    10:42 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Wow, that is the same guy I used to worship 20 years ago.
    He probably thinks that is a great picture for recruiting but I think high school kids might find that a little disturbing and creepy.

4. Jenna Tailia
    10:43 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

That’s a “monster” Coach Brooks!

5. mashley
    10:52 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Not wanting to be negative but I gotta say it. How is it not George Jones News and Views post?

6. Ally Tucker
    10:57 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

I have a feeling Matt will dedicate Sunday night’s post to Jones. He is much more passionate about it than I am, and will without question do Jones much more justice.

7. TrailerTrash
    11:15 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

From Armani suits to a tattoo parlor. What a ‘journey’

8. Mashley
    11:15 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

fare enough, thanks Ally. Ole “possum” stories are endless and entertaining.

9. Mashley
    11:20 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

When I retire, I’m modeling my retirement after Coach Brooks (with 1/32 the funds of course). I will go fishing (in a row boat) golfing(at public courses(using balls from driving range)), go to football games (middle school are free) and grow a heck of a garden (ok I can do this one just as good)

10. Seven Eight Nine
    11:23 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

If anybody watched the Robert Scholtz video, his head coach’s name is Matt Jones. Kinda weird

11. Sheila
    11:36 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

funny that coach brooks is wearing an oregon football shirt

12. daveragonsucks
    11:39 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

todd mcshay ruins careers
    kyle tucker you a mother saay what

13. Yuck
    11:50 pm April 26, 2013 Permalink

Ricky makes trailer trash look classy

14. Joey P.
    12:05 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

It should be George Jones news and notes….no one else….not today.

15. RealCatsFan
    12:08 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

#4, exactly what I thought! 🙂 That one must have really put a strain on the ol’ rod and tackle!

16. calej93
    12:09 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

No love for George Jones?? I’m in college and not even a fan of country but I’ve been sad all day. The world lost a legend today

17. Smiley Pete
    12:16 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

Couldn’t dedicate the post to Larry Warford? Just a UK player moving on to the NFL…
    Or maybe George Jones? Instead it’s a character from Annie?

18. mashburnfan1
    12:36 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

11}why is that funny, he did very well there.

19. Keeneland continues its success
    12:43 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

I am disappointed in Coach Pitino getting a tatoo. He is a not being a good role model for young people. By getting a tatoo, he is endorsing poor people to do the same.

Many employers will not hire people who have VISIBLE tatoos. Do not get a visible tatoo….EOM

I also remember my parents told me to never smoke cigarettes when I was young. DO NOT EVER START SMOKING!!!

20. kcdalum
    1:05 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

i played football at kcd and never thought we would ever have a player play d1. good friends with the scholtz family and couldnt be happier that he is joining the team.

21. Buckets
    2:53 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

I’ve now gone from Andrew Wiggins fatigue to Rick Pitino/U of L fatigue. I mean, seriously, enough with the U of L/Pitino crap! It’s bad enough they FINALLY won a championship (finally!), so we don’t need the constant reminders/updates on all things U of L on KSR.

22. Buckets
    3:11 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

And who the hell is Carol Burnett and who the hell cares???

23. Rick Pitino
    7:39 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

Why hate on me? I am the only coach to win a title with 2 schools and only coach to take 3 schools to a final 4 (record book, check it). Cal has some work to do to keep up with his idol. He will also have to go to another school to keep up with the Godfather’s records. Suck it Cal. You have been one upped and it was done without buying players or using runners and agents to get ahead. And I know it is killing you.

24. bigbluelou
    8:03 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

#23- The real truth “Rick” is that you have admitted many times that you left Camelot and had to settle for sloppy seconds at the trailer park with the rest of your UL buddies. Just need the line beard to make the transformation complete. Deep down you really know that UK OWNS you and the little brother team you now coach. December 28th can’t get here fast enough.

25. tdogg40330
    8:06 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

24) don’t even bother with the idiot, it took Ricky 12 years to do
    what Calipari did in 3. Not only that, Pitino is 1-4 vs Cal at UK.

26. bigbluelou
    8:08 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

BTW- I have NO problem with KSR showing some love to one of the greatest comedians of all time. That being said, RIP brother Jones.

27. MacGruber
    8:17 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

26. You talking about Rick Pitino or Carol Burnett?

28. UK Rifle >>>> TCU Rifle
    8:21 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

Not to be a Debbie Downer but Scholtz played at KCD which would be similar to playing at Sayre in Lexington. KCD is not playing the same schedule as Xavier or Trinity so it may not be all that hard to run up the stat sheets. The Bearcats are 1 A and went 11-2 with losses to Carroll County and Mayfield so not like they were facing the 4A, 5A, or 6A schools in the state.

The Matt Jones coaching KCD does not have the same barber as our lovable Matt Jones at KSR.

29. TracyArflin
    8:42 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

Todd Perry was also a UK lineman selected in the NFL draft. 4th round of ’93 draft, # 97. Bradley was 6th round.

30. Bottom Line
    8:42 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

I’m no fan of uofl or pitino. But he is one of the best coaches on the planet. I enjoy making fun of 3 stacks as much as the next fan. Buy, no one can deny his coaching ability with a straight face.

31. Our Savior
    9:02 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

I wish Rick would’ve kept his word on the vows he made in front of me like he did about the tattoo….smh

32. Glass Houses
    9:22 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

I am sure the guy who posted the above comment is free from sin.

33. Tru Blu
    9:26 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

As usual, rickey is turning his back on the cards much like he did at Ky. Look for ricky to turn up at maybe Eastern or Murray State State next as he is not loyal to anyone—other than himself.

CATS CATS CATS

34. 33 is a hick
    9:32 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

Suck it loser!!! uofl won the title and Rick got a secong ring (you never thought he would win it again). Beat Bobby Morris before opening your man pleaser.

35. SexnNursinHomes
    9:34 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

Rick truly looks like he respects the Natl Champ Trophy by placing it on the counter as if it were his car keys.

36. cat lover
    9:42 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know about the rest of the BBN but I’m about to stop coming to this site if I have to read or look at anymore dirty bird crap. It is getting old.

37. JPhelps
    9:45 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

We take our championship trophy around the state… He takes his to a tattoo parlor. 100% class.

38. 33 is a hick
    9:47 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

just got done tossing my boyfriend’s salad, how do you get the taste of poop of your breath.

39. 33 is a hick
    9:58 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

is it better spit or swallow?

40. 28 days STRAIGHT
    10:18 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

SERIOUSLY?????? IS THIS LSR OR KSR????????? 28 DAYS in a row KSR has had a post concerning the NATIONAL CHAMPION CARDINALS . . . . SMH!!!!!!!

41. L1C4
    10:53 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

L1C4 for life. Thanks for representing BBN. We thank you for your support.

42. gocatswin9
    11:06 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

Bradley may have been the last O lineman drafted from the Cats(round 6), but it is worth noting that Todd Perry was also drafted from UK in ’93 (round 4) and went on to have a great career in the NFL.

43. TracyArflin
    11:27 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

Say #42, that’s what I was getting at in post #29. Todd had a very solid career w/both Bears and Dolphins.

44. El Juan Seeforeskin
    11:41 am April 27, 2013 Permalink

Matt Chones is a fair man. He cares somewhat for lil bro, due to familial ties; and tries to be somewhat supportive of the lesser colleges in the state- like the commuter college at Belknap campus. The one that fired Denny Crum about 15 years ago so it could hire KENTUCKY’s coaching leftovers. L1C4 = forever and always striving to out do our idol, Big Bro.

45. gocatswin9
    12:31 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

touche’ 43… it does pay to read before you post. My brother played with Todd in high school… great guy and a big man.

46. Envy is a Mortal Sin
    11:52 pm April 27, 2013 Permalink

I wanna be like Rich if I ever grow up. Thanks, coach, for the time you spent at UK.

47. Judy
    3:34 pm April 28, 2013 Permalink

Love Coach Brooks. Really glad he’s enjoying his retirement. I’d love to fish with him but I’m a Blue-gill fisherman mainly. Nothing taste better than Bluegill and Bass. I like Shell crackers too. My husband doensn’t mind fishing with me since I bait my own hooks and take off my own fish.