Captain’s Quarters: U of L’s secret weapon?

captains-quarters

When a prospect visits your campus, you want to show him a good time.  You show off all your basketball wares and let a player or two spend some quality time with him.  When it’s a player that you may or may not have used the media to force a decommitment from his last school, the burden might be a little heavier.  And that’s why you can’t blame Louisville for bringing out the secret weapon for Kevin Ware.

Ware visited the Cards for Memorial Day weekend and, according to his Twitter account, spent some quality time Sunday night at Captain’s Quarters.  Is it a little weird that a high school player was at a bar on his visit?  Maybe.  But I’m not going to sit here and pretend like I didn’t sneak into Captain’s Quarters before I was 21.  And I’m certainly not going to stick my nose up at Louisville for enticing a prospect with all the cougar eye candy that Captain’s Quarter’s has to offer on Memorial Day weekend.  Lord knows they need all the help they can get.

What concerns me though Ware’s thought process.  He might be the only person who has spent an evening bouncing around Captain’s Quarters and decided that he needs commitment in his life.  Chances of philosophical differences between player and coach are now at 100%.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

43 Comments for Captain’s Quarters: U of L’s secret weapon?

1. Karen Sypher
    11:52 am May 31, 2011 Permalink

Captain’s Quarters is the Porcini

2. Go Cats
    11:53 am May 31, 2011 Permalink

Next time a recruit is in town, let’s flood Captain Quarters with UK fans!

3. BlueFins
    11:59 am May 31, 2011 Permalink

So will Bozich be doing an article about underage patrons at Captain’s Quarters this week in the CJ?

4. John McClane
    12:00 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

I’ve yet to bag a lady under 45 there.

5. go blue
    12:04 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

whats the big deal? Someone who never had a beer when they were never 21 please speak up now. When i attended UK i went to Two Keys when i was under 21 and John Wall and Bledsoe and Cousins were at Two Keys multiple times. Its College get over it.

6. Randy
    12:05 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

3) probably not, because it’s also a FAMILY RESTAURANT!!! We need locals blogging local things.

7. I can't see the comments
    12:11 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

I’m sorry but nobody cares and/or nobody should care.

8. James
    12:13 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

8 year olds go to captain quarters so who the hell really cares.

9. captain obvious
    12:16 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

this happens at every college, for every sport

nothing to see here, move along

10. UKfan97
    12:18 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

Isn’t taking our recruits to Keeneland the same? It’s basically a gigantic bar disguised by some ponies

11. samus
    12:19 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

i think this piece is constructed more to be humorous rather than actually critical, you guys are idiots

12. SexnNursinHomes
    12:20 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

The more hard hitting question should be. Why is that guy in the foreground got his hand so deep into his pocket that he could pick a dingleberry out without missin’ a step?

13. BUCats
    12:32 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

what is ware’s twitter handle? what did he say while at CQ

14. Moe Williams is my homeboy
    12:34 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

Is that Scrantonicity?

15. .
    12:39 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

16. duhville cat
    12:42 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

Was Porcini’s closed for disenfecting?

17. Big Blue Streeb
    12:42 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

This fits under the “I don’t care” file along with 90% of the Cardinal “news” that I hear.

18. jman3715
    12:45 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

Captains Qtrs is no more a over 21 bar than OCharleys or Raffertys. This ranks up there with Thamel toe trying to stir up something.

19. Meeks Shall Inherit The Earth
    12:52 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

18) Do you have to show your ID to get into O’Charleys or Rafferty’s?

20. Section133
    12:52 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

So that’s what happened to Hall and Oates.

21. jman3715
    1:10 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

19) No and you don’t at Captain’s Qtrs either.

22. UKGoBigBlue
    1:14 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

If UL is really taking recruits to CQ’s then that’s just sad! Then again, it’s not like UL can go show off their players only basketball dorms or their state of the art practice facility. I wonder if UL showed him the chicken bucket that will soon be in foreclosure? A tour of UL might last what 10 minutes, UL might as well go get the kid drunk & let old ladies hit on him.

23. SC
    1:16 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

Geez, seriously grasping at straws on this one and looking pretty ignorant and goofy in doing so.

It’s a restaurant too. Little kids are there all the time with their families. Nice place.

24. CougarCat
    1:24 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

This kid might be smarter than you think, if he is hunting (or prey) of the Cougars he is playing it like a true PLAYER. With the older ladies you just have to perform and leave, those young girls are too much DRAMA!

25. yesterdays
    1:30 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

Lets clarify this- Captain’s Quarters is a restaurant. I went there when I was 5 years old and I bring my 2 year old daughter there. HOWEVER, on Memorial Day weekend, it is essentially a bar. Alot of the boating crowd is in and out all day doing alot of boozing. I believe after 7 pm, you do have to show ID. Before that, anyone can enter, including ricky p. There is a dress code, so the L raisers have to tone it down a little if they want to come inside.

26. bung
    1:44 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

I bet there is sumthin UK in the last 80 years we coud talk about…….the heck with looavul stuff. But u b ok Mr. Beisner.

27. MemphisCat
    1:48 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

Maybe that is why he decommitted from the Vols, Brucie was taking all the young girls and Louisville offers more mature women at the CQ, somthing they were taught at UT.

28. JohnGCatsta
    1:59 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

Captain’s Quarters is a restaurant and bar. None of you idiots know what you are talking about. Sunday nights are college nights at Captain’s Quarters. You absolutely need an ID to get into the door. It used to be 18 and over gets in, 21 and up gets a wristband, etc. If the kid is 18 then there is no problem with him being there.

29. lpool003
    2:26 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

Where are all the cards fans blowing up Ware’s twitter account now? I can’t believe, after UofL fans blatantly showed him how classless they are, Ware committed to UofL anyway… Either he is just plain stupid or he wants to play in a second rate city, with some of the worst fans in the country, on the Kentucky B team and never make it to the NBA.

30. ULwantstobeUK
    2:47 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

21) Yes you do – have you ever been? You are carded at the door by a police officer and have to pay a $10 cover. I don’t know many restaurants that charge cover.

31. ukbradstith
    2:48 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

I was there, I’m 33, and I had to show my ID… everybody does after 9:00 or 10:00 PM.

32. dwperr2
    3:19 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

Captain’s Quarters is a restaurant??? Not a bar…….. I’m confused.

33. dwperr2
    3:26 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

I’m going to have to agree with jman on this one, you missed on this piece Beis.

34. Megan
    3:57 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

Um, how old does a woman have to be before you consider her a cougar? Just curious. No reason. ‘Cause I happen to go to Captain’s Quarters from time to time. Just sayin’. For the dessert bar. Yeah, that’s it, the dessert bar.

Does it depend on the age of the dessert I’m eyeing?

35. SexnNursinHomes
    4:04 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

34- 85 years old. trust me.

36. Yo
    4:49 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

it’s all good. UK players get into bars all the time when it’s well-known that they aren’t of age.

37. kycat
    5:16 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

i work at captain’s quarters… on sunday nights it’s a bar and you have to have a bracelet to identify yourself as 21 when the kitchen closes. the bar stays open until 2 or 3..

38. kycat
    5:19 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

i work at captain’s quarters… on sunday nights it becomes a bar after the kitchen closes around 10. you have to have a bracelet that shows you’re 21 to stay.

39. kycat
    5:40 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

#28 that’s not correct.. sunday nights have never been college nights.. if you’re 18 they will make you leave. it’s strictly 21 and up after the 10

40. kyjerry
    5:51 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

If this is serious, it just shows how much this blog has gone downhill.

41. Louisville
    6:55 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

CAPTAINS QUARTERS IS A FAMILY RESTAURANT. 8 year olds eat there with their families.

42. Jimmy Buffett
    8:07 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

x

43. ATObigred
    9:44 pm May 31, 2011 Permalink

Having worked at CQ for 7 straight summers on the bar staff, I can assure you that 1) CQ is a family restaurant, not just a bar, 2) has hosted both UL and UK fan events, not just the Cardinal Caravan, in an unbiased fashion, and 3) has Louisville Metro Police officers patrolling the crowd instead of just mere bouncers, so this kid would have had no chance of getting alcohol without getting caught anyways.