Capilouto: “Don’t be stupid.”

UK President Eli Capilouto is back with a friendly reminder for anyone out there planning to celebrate if Kentucky wins tonight. This time, however, he put the camera down and wrote a letter:

The excitement over Saturday’s victory against the Cardinals was quickly dampened by the irresponsible and destructive behavior of some UK students and community members. The illegal and dangerous actions of a small minority detracted from honoring the student-athletes who have worked tirelessly to represent UK at a national level.

Celebration of our team’s achievement is important. But when our actions endanger the lives of students, neighbors, law enforcement, and safety officials, we’ve crossed a critical line. Illegal behavior that jeopardizes the safety and well-being of others will not be tolerated, and those who cross that line will be dealt with to the fullest extent of the law and, where applicable, The Code of Student Conduct.

We have the opportunity to make history by winning our eighth national championship. Moreover, we have the chance to change the poor perception created by the civil unrest Saturday night and show the world that we are a leading Flagship and Land Grant Research University.

I implore you to be safe, be respectful, and don’t be stupid.

Go Cats!

Eli Capilouto
President
University of Kentucky

There you go, friends.

Don’t be stupid.

Article written by Drew Franklin

57 Comments for Capilouto: “Don’t be stupid.”

1. BigDaddyUK
    3:22 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

First !!!

2. ktmiln2
    3:23 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

P.S. Now, go to class while I sit in my club seats at the Super Dome.

3. BigDaddyUK
    3:23 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

and Dont be stupid

4. cristoforouk
    3:26 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Talked to a friend of mine who was down on State Street that night. According to him most of the ones causing the biggest problems were out of state kids, not actually UK students. No idea if he is correct, but he thought there was a large group from Clemson getting out of control.

5. ???
    3:26 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

#anthonydavissaysshutup

6. catinhat
    3:28 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

He’s right. Although I’m tempted to haul my couch to the curb of my suburban neighborhood driveway and torch it. Classy, says I.

7. That makes complete sense.
    3:28 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

4) Yeah, man, it’s always those Clemson kids. Thousands of Clemson kids.

8. Cornholio
    3:29 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Why didn’t Reechie start the other night? Cuz slow white boys from the mountains fill the bench as victory cigars and token white boys.

9. cristoforouk
    3:31 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

7 – You do know that there weren’t thousands of people torching couches and cars, right? Only a few idiots getting out of control. Sounds like you’d fit right in with them.

10. SexnNursinHomes
    3:33 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

4- I’ll be damned. Someone tweet back Capilouto and let him know that it isn’t UK students, but rather Clemson fans flooding our streets and causing all this chaos.

11. WRONG
    3:33 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

If he really wanted to put a stop to it, he would say “anyone caught on camera destroying property will be kicked out of the university, permanently.”

12. That makes complete sense.
    3:33 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

9-There were over 50 fires in Lexington on Friday. You’ve seen the pictures. We’re not talking about a handful of people here.

13. Cornholio
    3:34 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Cal is definitely leaving for the New Yawk Knicks if he wins the title tonight. As much as I hate the fact that he would leave, I would take that trade off. Cal and no national title or national title and no Cal?

14. BBN
    3:34 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I can’t take this new president seriously until the cancellation of classes Tuesday. No one can respect Eli Capilouto it’s BBN c’mon Dr. Capilouto. The president isn’t working today why should the student body be obligated to attend classes?

15. CLEMSON KIDS
    3:35 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Win or lose, we’re all making the drive up to Lexington tonight.

16. cristoforouk
    3:35 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

10 – You sound just as smart 7. Way to totally over exaggerate. Smart ass.

17. UKGRAD
    3:35 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Of course we can expect such a statement from a President that has NO IDEA about the tradition and passion of this program. Eli needs to stay quiet and embrace the passion that is Kentucky Basketball. Yeah, there are a few idiots out there, but there are a few idiots everywhere. Eli is losing respect from those who aren’t idiots by issuing statements like this.

18. GBB
    3:35 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Fires, shmires. Burn couches all you want, but don’t flip folks’ cars. Gr8ness!

19. seriously
    3:35 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

7) chill out dude..i was on state street..but i was not one of them flipping the cars and pulling out signs and acting ridiculous. 4 is right though. It was only a few that were getting out of hand. Dont get it twisted that thousands were acting crazy. 90 percent of the people were standing in the grass on the hills singing loudly and dancing while a few go crazy. People like you need to not generalize. If you werent there just chill out..you clearly have no idea what really happened..the photos show no justice at all

20. More Clemson Kids
    3:36 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

No couch is safe tonight!!

21. SexnNursinHomes
    3:37 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

16- hahaha

22. catinhat
    3:38 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Porcini’s needs to burn some couches, that’s for sure.

23. cristoforouk
    3:38 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

12 – And you realize the only people out of control were the ones burning ONE car and flipping TWO (I think?) others. Did it take thousands to do those three things? Also like to add that whoever was beating up the homeless is lower than scum.

24. Cornholio
    3:40 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I’m going to set fire to Bravo Pitino’s tonight.

25. UKBlue
    3:40 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

The police are going to have the smack down on Lexington. Why are people going to state street anyway; you can tell these kids don’t get it, It’s called Euclid Ave., that’s where we celebrate wins.

26. Dr. Lee Todd
    3:40 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I’d be right out there with them flipping cars and setting fires if Patsy would let me.

27. CLEMSON KIDS
    3:41 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Can anyone recommend a good place to eat? We should be getting into town at about 830 or so. There are about 30 busloads making the trip.

28. WRONG
    3:42 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

On the issue of classes being in session, the president is at the mercy of his elitist faculty who are butthurt that everyone is paying attention to the basketball team instead of reading the thousands of resume-embellishing peer-reviewed articles they have written for academic journals that no one- including the faculty- reads.

29. KnightIsFruity
    3:43 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

For future reference, Eli should bump up spring break a week. That would lessen the student presence in Lex Vegas during championship week.

30. SexnNursinHomes
    3:45 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

27- haha

31. Clemson's Mascot
    3:45 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Oh crap, they stole my costume. It’ll probably be in flames tonight.

32. ???
    3:48 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

4 – dumbest comment ever?

33. jday
    3:49 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

someone should sponsor a huge bonfire so we don’t look like the mountaineers. make it byoc

34. Mr. Obvious
    3:50 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

He kinda looks like the Crypt Keeper with shorter hair.

35. RodneyKing
    3:51 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Dear President Capilouto…Drunk college students who live off campus because the university wants to have a dry campus thereby neglecting their responsibility burning a couch and turning over a car is not civil unrest. Civil Unrest occurs when a cop beat me up on the street. Take some responsibility back to the University and get your students back on campus where they belong.

36. Money
    3:52 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

This guy has no idea whats going on. Its like going to Alabama and telling their students not to care about football.

37. hooch
    3:55 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

15 and 27 are the funniest comments I’ve read on here in a long time. Go Cats!

38. Jack Dagnels
    3:56 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

i was there on saturday and i helped lift a couch into the street. for all who werent there you clearly dont understand the greatness of what went on.it was the perfect storm on saturday.so many people in one city with everyone off work and drinking early.it will be something i will(semi)remember for the rest of my life and screw all you who put the celebration down.had to be there.

39. truefan
    4:00 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I don unnerstan. Do we gets to injoy anarky or not doh?

40. Hamburger
    4:01 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

What he’s saying here is “…don’t be stupid, I called the cops on you once and I’ll do it again. Also, I’ve contacted the National Guard and have them on alert!” So, DON’T BE STUPID!

41. Wartface
    4:01 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

4) I just talked to a few of my friends at Clemson. THEY said that it was, in fact, their football team that started the fires, the rugby team that flipped over the cars and 10 male cheerleaders that pelted the police with beer bottles. I don’t know why UK is getting such bad PR for this. This is clearly Clemson’s fault.

42. For the sake of upholstery
    4:03 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

We lost some good couches that night…too many couches.

43. bmt22033
    4:08 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I, for one, was ashamed to see the behavior on display Saturday night following the beat down of the dirty birds. My college days are long behind me now (1998) but even when I was there, I would’ve thought that lighting things on fire and flipping cars were stupid things to do. I hope Kentucky wins #8 tonight and I hope that Lexington erupts into one giant party. But celebrate with class!! If little brother had beaten us (much less won a national championship), I’d expect Louisville to be a smoldering pile of ash. But “we” are better than that. #8 is certainly long overdue but it’s not like UK doesn’t 7 previous banners to be proud of. And, should Calipari stick around, I think we can reasonably expect to have more.

44. KnightIsFruity
    4:10 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I’m glad South Carolina kept their in-state rivalry out of the SEC. We don’t need rioting, rabble-rousers in the league.

45. CLEMSON KIDS
    4:10 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

43 – Chill out, man. It was us.

46. Jack Dagnels
    4:11 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Old people suck and need to shut up.just because you didnt go as hard as we did doesnt mean you have to get all uppity about it and put the students down

47. Cousins Fake Tooth
    4:14 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I really hate this guy.

48. matt
    4:16 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

whether it’s a few fans or 1000 fans we look like a bunch of drunken hillbillies when these fools burn stuff in the streets and their yards. as a life long uk fan and resident of the commonwealth i am embarresed by their actions. even more by the fans on this site that think it’s out of line for uk’s president to call them out.
    c’mon man!

49. Laker Cat 18
    4:16 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

This guy is one of the old farts who don’t like to stand up to cheer during games at Rupp. If you don’t like it, leave. It’s that simple.

50. MC Royals
    4:23 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Lets get drunk and burn Eli’s couch, he is in New Orleans and won’t even know til later this week….

51. NBA league pass
    4:30 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

burning couches is for redneck hillbillies.

52. Words of Reason
    5:09 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Capidontknow should be his name. Classes as normal tonight and tomorrow. Don’t get excited kids. Go to your little classes as normal. It is just a game. He doesn’t have a clue. I agree burning things and vandalizing is classless.

53. BIg Blue
    5:44 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

However, Weird Al Yankovik would say.. “Dare to be Stupid!”

54. WestKYfan
    6:06 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

LISTEN TO ME! LISTEN TO ME! Don’t be stupid

55. Jack Dagnels
    6:50 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

why not back your fellow fans instead of chastizing them like they are children. You wont see me raising a ruckus when you old people dont stand and cheer so dont criticize me for not being an eliteist sweater vest wearing bluehair and just embrace your fellow “hillbilly” fans and lets all cheer on the cats as ONE big blue nation under Cal

56. sevenisnotenough
    7:00 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Not a fan of the schwartz.

57. WestWorld
    8:09 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I heard the UK Rifle Team would be patrolling State St tonight.