Can UK Get Marcus Camby on Staff?

CalipariCamby

It only looks awkward because you can’t hear the KC & JoJo playing in the background.

Marcus Camby recently spoke on how it’s sometimes awkward to think that Calipari,  his former college coach at UMass, is now coaching the team that beat the Minutemen in the 1996 Final Four.  “[It’s] a tough pill to swallow. … Probably the run we had going all the way to the Final Four and eventually losing to Kentucky. And now fast forward 20 years and Calipari’s coaching Kentucky, so it’s a tough pill for me to swallow.”

That’s an understandable conflict for Camby, who went on from UMass to have a successful NBA career that he’s still enjoying as part of the New York Knicks.  But while he’s still maybe a little salty with Kentucky after almost twenty years, would he consider coming to coach here?  Apparently, he and Cal have had conversations like that before, even if they never explicitly mentioned Kentucky:

“I talk to Cal all the time.  I just talked to him a couple days ago. He wants my advice. He always told me whoever retires first, the other one has to come work for the other one so he’s probably going to have a longer tenure than I am but it’s always good to see him and catch up.”

Playing careers have a way of ending long before coaching careers, and Camby has been in the League for a long time.  Even though he’s currently with the Knicks this season, there’s no telling what next season could bring.  And while anybody who likes Cal will wish Camby as many more years in the NBA as he can get, you have to figure that the player will retire before the coach, right?

So if that happens, would he come and coach at Kentucky?  Kenny Payne had a couple losses to the Cats in the 80s, but that didn’t stop him from coming over, right?  And if Camby does decide to suit up in Rupp, how great would that be as a recruiting tool for future big men?  Like Rod Strickland is a great asset for mentoring point guards, Camby would be a great guy to have on the bench, and in home visits, for talented big men.

So enjoy your NBA career, Marcus Camby.  We hope it’s got many more years left.  But, whenever you decide to retire… well we’d be happy to have you in Lexington.

Article written by Corey Nichols

32 Comments for Can UK Get Marcus Camby on Staff?

1. Cautious
    9:08 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

Camby, after his NCAA troubles at Umass, would make me a little nervous on staff at UK. But if Sandy Bell can ride shotgun on recruiting visits, I guess it could work.

2. Will
    9:09 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

I dont think hiring a guy who got UMass on probation and vacated their and Calipari’s Final Four run is a good idea. People change and learn from past mistakes. But with Camby’s history in College and Kentucky’s history of run-ins with NCAA law, doesnt make a good recipe for success in my eyes. Not to mention all the negative press UK will get if Camby ever gets hired. No thanks. UK is receuiting just fine without him.

3. Smiley Pete
    9:22 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

I’m not sure his names rings out as much with todays 16 & 17 year olds. They would probably have to wikipedia his name to know who is. Remember, seniors next year would have been born in 1995-1996.

4. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    9:24 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

At last years Final Four I spent time with coaches and players at a Q&A session. Walter was there so I asked how hard was it to put on the red as a coach after wearing Blue. He answered, “It wasn’t hard. After playing in the NBA you realize it is a business and I was simply taking a job. Red and Blue did not matter. So to answer your question again, it was not hard at all.”

Camby would get over it. That said, I would prefer he not coach at UK for the reasons mentioned above.

5. oops
    9:26 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, 1 & 2 beat me to the punch. This is a BAD idea. Please stop talking about this ksr, stop now. How could we with a straight face give uofl (hurtt) or iu (sampson) hell for their cheating ways if we hired a known ncaa bad boy? I’m sure Cal loves Marcus and all, but I’d bet if he ever told the God’s honest truth, Cal could probably strangle Marcus for getting umass and Cal (by association) in trouble. BAD idea!

6. Huh?
    9:39 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

Yall are stupid. So its alright to have a coach who as a grown man coached 2 teams with vacated seasons… but it’s not alright to have an assistant coach who made a mistake at 18?

Im not throwing shade on Calipari. I know he was never personally implicated but the same “doesnt look good-Makes me nervous” logic can apply there too. We are KENTUCKY since when to do we care what people think. If Cal is willing to have him you should be too.

If Rose wanted to be an assistant coach would you say no too? What if IZZO for some inexplicable reason wanted to be an assistant? He’s been in trouble. THINK>

7. Austin
    9:47 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

He wouldn’t come right in and be a full time assistant. Those spots are too important to give to somebody that is unproven. He would be in a different role, and it would probably be good for the program. Cal knows that Camby was the one that made him what he is today. Even if he did make a mistake, he made Calipari relevant. But for the best team in college basketball in the last 20+ years, they probably would have won a National Championship together.

8. oldschool
    9:54 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

Bring in Rose, and you have the biggest group of cheaters in the history of the NCAA. Perfect! Team Cheat. One and Done. Worst era ever for UK bball. I’m turning in my fan card. Go Hoosiers!

9. bleaker
    10:13 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

7. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

10. HAHAHA
    10:15 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

#7… people like you shouldnt even be on this site let alone have a “fan card” to begin with. GTFO

11. Talk about stupid
    10:15 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

You made the distinction between Calipari and Camby yourself. Cal was never directly implicated. Camby clearly accepted over $28,000 in cash, jewelry, rental cars and hookers from agents. He clearly was guilty, he reimbursed Umass over $150,000 for its lost NCAA Tourney revenue in 1996. Typical arrogant comment: “what do we care what other people think?” People that say that have a mullet haircut, tats all over, and chew their food with an open mouth. You should care what other people will think for no other reason than it would bring even more scrutiny to the program. For the record, I would not want Rose either. Plenty of worthy UK grads to put on the bench.

12. HAHAHA
    10:15 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

#8… I applaud you sir!

13. Talk about stupid
    10:16 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

Oops my comment #10 directed to #5

14. With ya
    10:21 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

#10… I completely agree. we need former UK player on this bench more than Rose or Camby. They already know how to represent the Big Blue Nation and will do it with more pride and enthusiasm than two players that got their Schools in trouble with the NCAA

15. hawkeyetim
    10:23 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

Why do you think kids love Cal? Because he is LOYAL and HONEST. Camby’s talents put Cal where he is…..Cal will remember and will be loyal to him in return.

16. Marcus Camby
    10:30 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

I wasn’t even an All Star… big deal

17. Sam
    10:36 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

Camby wouldn’t bring name recognition to the young athletes today, but he would bring an immense amount of knowledge of how to play the game in the post. Furthermore, Cal recruits players like Camby. So Camby would be mentoring players like himself on improving their game. No doubt Camby has picked up knowledge, insight, and expertise that even Cal doesn’t have, so THAT’S why Camby would complement the current coaching staff.

It’d be a good hire. Do it.

18. Ok sure
    10:38 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

#14 98% of the reason kids love Cal is they know he will make them millions of $$$. Let’s just be honest. I am not saying Cal isn’t loyal or honest. Just saying that is down the list of what the kids value. Lol, I think it is more accurate to say that Camby’s selfishness put Cal’s reputation where it is. So you want to be loyal to a guy that time after time blatantly flaunted his breaking of the rules even after he was reprimanded by the Umass staff? Driving new cars on campus, wearing flashy jewelry, consorting with hookers? I am not saying Camby, almost 20 years later doesn’t deserve a chance somewhere. But geez, Cal has taken us to elite 8, final four, national championship and how many # 1 ranked recruiting classes? Do we really need Camby? No.

19. BleedingBlue79
    10:42 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

My position on this is the same as w/ recruits. I may like some more than others, but ultimately, Cal’s track record w/ choosing both speaks for itself, so I trust his judgment more than my own – or that of anyone opining on a message board – as to whether or not someone would be a good hire. It doesn’t mean every hire or recruit will be a home run, but he hasn’t whiffed on many, so, bottom line, if Cal wants’em, I’ll take’em.

20. I Say
    10:43 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

15 Wow I didnt believe you at first, I had to check for myself. He was never an all star but he was defensive player of the year in 2007, which I find it odd the the NBA’s best defensive player doesnt make the all star team but whatever.

21. Jus Sayin
    10:47 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

If Cal wants to take the chance then we should be okay with that. Hell Rod has 2 DUIs. Izzo, Coach K and Roy Williams have all had “hiccups” in terms of violating rules.

He made this mistake 17 years ago and has been a character guy since then. I dont see the problem.

22. Marcus Camby
    10:52 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

Hey its kind of hard to be an All-Star in the western conference. China always put Yao in and the Lakers had this guy name Shaq…

Anyway I still made 1st or 2nd All NBA defense 4x, and avergae double digit rebounds. I think I could help a young player EVEN if they dont know who I am… WHICH BY THE WAY THEY DO…

23. Scott
    11:04 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

No. No. No. That guy is the reason for vacated games. Keep him out.

24. shelbycat
    11:20 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

some of the people on here make me laugh. Who are you all to judge either one of these men.I would be willing to bet if the ones casting stones life were under a microscope you would change your mind when you really dont know anything about either one of them.

25. B-man
    11:29 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

Camby was a kid in college that made a mistake. Let’s not act like he has horrific character issues here. If anything, I’m sure he would make kids today aware of the outside influences and the impact they can have.

26. Blah blah
    11:51 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

#23 the problem with your logic is none of us naysayers are applying for a UK asst job, so yeah, that person can expect to be judged. Besides, who doesn’t know anything about Camby? It would be one thing, if like D Rose, he had refused to talk to the NCAA or denied all along that he took $28,000 improperly, cars, jewelry, hookers. But by him personally repaying Umass $156,000 for his discretions, we know he’s guilty and he admitted it.
    #24 lol, do you think banks ever employ ex cons to guard the vault? Don’t think so. Let Camby go work for Tony Barbee, his former Umass asst at Auburn. Let Cal rehire a former UK Alum like Padgett, Pope, or somebody with a clean past AND ties to UK. Of course I can’t tell Cal what to do, but hopefully Mitch B has some gonads enough to do so.

27. Great!
    12:28 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

So..oldschool is jumping ship to follow his Hoosiers. That means he will post here no more! Yea!!!

28. B-man
    12:33 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

#25 You are comparing apples to oranges. Your analysis is correct, a bank would not hire an ex-con to guard a vault…nor would UK hire an ex-con to be an assistant coach. I’m not sure if you are aware, but Camby is not an ex-con. He was a college student that made poor decision approximately 17 years ago during a time period when such behavior was nowhere near in the spotlight as it is today. I’m personally okay with a kid making a mistake. As you pointed out, Camby has even made every attempt to right the wrong. It’s not like the guy treated anyone inhumanely. Keep in mind #25, only you and Jesus Christ have lived mistake-free lives. The rest of us make poor decisions from time to time.

29. Jimmy Dykes Caddy
    12:44 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Oldschool is so contrary….if his head were to itch he would scratch his butt instead.
    Old school is just a Hoosier fan trolling around.
    Remember that undefeated IU team that fell to the Cats?
    Appears that neither you nor Bob Knight have ever goteen over that.

30. Blah blah
    1:51 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

#27 yes, I chose an extreme example. Yes people can repent. No I am not mistake free. Now, do you think Camby would have “righted his wrong” had he not been caught? It is simple to me. First, as noted, I have no problem with Camby going somewhere to be an asst coach. Just not UK. Ask yourself what UK has to gain. We have had the #1 recruiting class 4 years running. We are going to elite 8’s, final fours, winning NC’s. UK’s history, tradition, banners, facilities and yes, Calipari makes UK unmatched in terms of a choice for a recruit. Don’t need Camby to improve on that. If we need someone to work with post players, I say hire a Pope or Padgett or other former player with UK ties. Have you criticized UofL for having the accused Clint Hurtt on their football staff? He is a cheat, but oh that’s right. That was at Miami. He is minding his manners at UofL. This is all just each of us expressing an opinion, right? Well I say UK has nothing to gain if it hired Camby (beyond what UK Already has) and LOTS to lose.

31. steve
    9:06 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

i don’t have anything personal against camby but i would prefer someone who played for uk. jamal mashburn comes to mind but he’s too busy with his 37 restuants to be job hunting. but wow! the one and dones sure could benefit from his wisdom.

32. Truth